Hi Horse,

What are you trying to do? If it is any help, No. 5051 has the earlier style wheels...

Really? God Almighty, that could put the show back on the road! I was thinking about acquiring bits for yet another experiment, you see.

Stupid thing is that I took photos of 5051 with Hawksworth tender in April 2011 when visiting the 6023 / 6024 demonstration, but didn't spot the early driving wheel style. The broadside photo I took was slightly obscured by a water filler......

Edited by Horsetan

Hi Horse,

Well, as long as we are talking models here and not the real thing! The loco staff at 81E will be looking for you if we get there one morning to find Earl Bathurst up on bricks like some car with fancy wheels that has been parked too near the dodgy bit of town...

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 2

Hi All,

Alien life spotted at Didcot!

When I got to 81E there were these bizarre creatures inhabiting the front of the shed - they demanded further investigation. They look like some large coach but don't seem to have anywhere near the right amount of windows or doors - even for a full brake...

In all seriousness though, the diesels are here for a Didcot gala with a difference. If I can't have a steam engine then let me have either a Western or a Deltic and this is a prime example. No. D9009 Alycidon is a beautiful expression of the art of the preserved diesel. Main line registered and in early livery it really looks the part!

post-14393-0-21632100-1369251483_thumb.jpg

As if one Deltic wasn't enough there is a second here for this coming weekend too! Royal Highland Fusiliers is in the later blue scheme and also lacks nothing in the looks stakes either!

post-14393-0-03582200-1369251978_thumb.jpg

Which is more than can be said for this article... I think it was once a Class 37 but now appears to be an exercise in weathering by our old friend iron oxide.

post-14393-0-73583700-1369252112_thumb.jpg

Holy Class 37s Batman!

post-14393-0-69384700-1369252182_thumb.jpg

Mmmmmmmm - crispy!

post-14393-0-68488200-1369252236_thumb.jpg

There is also No. 31 466 which may well have the '3' painted out by the weekend so we can claim to have run No. 1466.

post-14393-0-00235400-1369252465_thumb.jpg

I didn't get the number of the Class 33 but here it is.

post-14393-0-42112600-1369252593_thumb.jpg

I did work out why they parked the No. D9009 where they did - in this view from the coal stage you can see what must be the hatch for the coal bunker. If they had left it open I could have filled it up for them...

post-14393-0-23061800-1369252685_thumb.jpg

GWR Diesel Railcar No. 22 and resident Class 08 shunter No. 08 604 should be in operation along with some of the visitors and the Heavy Freight Mob will be raising funds for No. 7202 by having their real ale bar coach 'The Black Python' open for the lubrication of patrons.

I really must post some models on this thread soon...

All the best,

Castle

• Like 9

Hi All,

It's an OPEN - see?

Well, I had got to a bit of a mojo lapse situation with the Super Saloons and the best thing to do in this situation in my book is to have a little modelling 'snack' in the form of a wagon kit to get you back in the mood for the big project. They are quick to show results, easy to do and lots of fun as well so having just scored an unbuilt OPEN C kit from the bay of E I though, well, why not start there?

The OPEN C is the GWR's version of the ubiquitous tube type wagons and were first build under diagram O8 in 1907. The first batches had chain and shackle boxes on them but later versions had lashing rings in the four side uprights. They had 4 plank sides and were intended primarily for the conveyance of deals of timber, hence their 25' length but as the name of their wagon brethren suggests, they eventually became synonymous with the carriage of steel tubes.

They had the DC III brake system fitted and indeed were among the first vehicles to receive it. They were built in a number of different diagrams including O8/16/19/28/34 and were eventually supplanted by the later O41 TUBE design in 1945. These differed in having the Morton brake system and being 5' longer. Although these were a GWR design, they were built into the BR (W) period.

There are several OPEN Cs in preservation. The one that made it to 81E is No. 94835. it was built in 1920 to Diagram O.19 as part of Lot 844 and was one of 370 in the diagram. This wagon lived under a tarpaulin for many years and was in a poor state of repair but the wagon team at Didcot cast their eyes upon it after finishing their excellent work on the flour van (otherwise known as MINK A No. 101720). It was then quietly shuffled from its resting place and before it could complain, was pounced upon by a gang of restorers intent on renovation!

post-14393-0-35380000-1369415993_thumb.jpg

As you can see, No. 94835 has been stripped to the frames as the woodwork was thoroughly rotten and now is being assessed for metalwork repairs before being delivered to the rear of the locomotive works for that work to be undertaken. It will make an interesting addition to the serviceable vehicles on site and will no doubt find use in the demonstration freights from time to time. For those interested, here are a few detail shots as you don't get to see a wagon stripped like this very often so I thought it might be of use to some out there in RMWEB land.

post-14393-0-35484400-1369416110_thumb.jpg

post-14393-0-42798700-1369416153_thumb.jpg

post-14393-0-59686600-1369416199_thumb.jpg

post-14393-0-37257000-1369416314_thumb.jpg

post-14393-0-31779800-1369416358_thumb.jpg

post-14393-0-35380000-1369416554_thumb.jpg

Little No. 94835 is based on the long out of production Ratio kit of the OPEN C. This kit is a bit of a curate's egg - good in parts. The sides and ends are excellent in their details and really look the part. A split floor seems like a silly idea and my one had the added advantage of being further broken in my kit as well. The axle boxes as supplied (and there are two sets in the kit!) are wrong to my eye and the brake gear is just a little bit too thick when compared to modern offerings and the buffers didn't look right either. Which neatly brings us to the wheels which are plastic mouldings which went straight in the bin... I had also heard the news on this very forum that the axle boxes as assembled were too far apart for modern wheel sets. The plan therefore was as follows:

1 Build the body fairly much as per the kit but put an extra layer of pre planked styrene on the inside to prevent the potential banana happening!

2 Rake around in my spares box until I find suitable replacement W irons and axle boxes. These can then be set inboard a bit to take up the slack.

3 I have an old etch of partly used Mainly trains wagon brake gear and I will modify this to suit.

4 New wheels (the real No. 94835 has 3 hole discs anyway) and brass bearings as well.

5 New buffers from LMS, Slaters 3 link couplings and the lashing rings to be added with fine brass jewellery wire from a craft store.

post-14393-0-71181300-1369416744_thumb.jpg

The first job was to put the floor together and before I did, I carved away all the old style coupling mounts which opened up a whole world of space for the 3 link and spring to reside in! I glued it together using my larger engineer's square as a jig of sorts. The chip out the side was also replaced.

post-14393-0-95181600-1369416912_thumb.jpg

Before the glue dried too much a slice of planked styrene was added to the top and it was returned to the 'jig'. The end result looked like this:

post-14393-0-30531200-1369416994_thumb.jpg

Once dry, the body was assembled using a piece of glass as a guide.

post-14393-0-46564000-1369417048_thumb.jpg

I also dry fitted the buffers.

post-14393-0-39387100-1369417091_thumb.jpg

The axle boxes proved a bit trickier than I had hoped. I found some spare Coopercraft chassis mouldings in my famed box of tricks. I cut the whole axle box, spring and W iron moulding from the sole bar and then levelled the sole bar detail so that it would fit against the inside of the ratio sole bars. It shifted it back a bit but when I tried the axle, it was still too loose. Grrrrr! The only thing to do now was to sift through he box of tricks for a solution. I found some etched W irons and then it struck me - these would not only space the bearings out just enough but would also reinforce the W irons - ace!

post-14393-0-94971700-1369417146_thumb.jpg

The mainly trains brake gear was modified thusly to represent the system on the longer DC fitted vehicles. I also managed to find some moulded door springs too so they got fitted as well. A frustrating but ultimately rewarding hour was spent making (and pinging around the room!) the lashing rings and sticking them on. Eventually eight of them ended up stuck in place. The finished item looked like this:

post-14393-0-92995700-1369417286_thumb.jpg

A splash of paint later and it gets us to here. With transfers & weathering it doesn't look too bad for a 30 odd year old kit...

post-14393-0-21360900-1369417464_thumb.jpg

And what do you know, no sooner had I finished this one then my other half won a Ks CORAL A on Ebay for me as well, filling in the second of the no longer available kit gaps that I had in the Little Didcot collection. Hmmm, maybe the super saloons can wait a little longer? At least the mojo is back!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Glad to see that the mojo is back.  I lost my hobby car mojo big time last year and made the decision to sell up at Christmas.    I am now moved into a new house and totally "fun" carless, but much happier. 

Sadly it looks like I won't make your tour in July.  My recent UK break was almost fully taken up by moving into the new house, but I did manage to sneak a day on what used to be the SVR when I went to go and see the old and wrinklies.  Didcot in November I think............

• Like 1

Hi All,

I put some transfers on a 14XX yesterday...

post-14393-0-16686100-1370764843_thumb.jpg

It's for an upcoming photo charter that seeks to reproduce as authentically as possible a BR era shed. She will get the front number and shed plate later next week. They were quite old transfers and broke up as they were slid off the backing sheet. One BR lion and wheel puzzle later and it looks good!

Enjoy!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

It's for an upcoming photo charter that seeks to reproduce as authentically as possible a BR era shed. She will get the front number and shed plate later next week. They were quite old transfers and broke up as they were slid off the backing sheet. One BR lion and wheel puzzle later and it looks good!

Enjoy!

All the best,

Castle

I am doing the night photo sessions in a few weeks time... starts at 6pm Sat night with locos drawn up in front of the engine shed, some in light steam, other just with oily rags in the smokebox.... that goes through to midnight, to start again at 05am the Sunday morning through to 9am ! - Whilst exhausting, it should be great fun, with loads of very different photos.... although I would have liked everything in Brunswick Green.... But the contrast with everything in Black and the King (in steam) in its Blue should be great. 

• Like 2

[quote name="Neal Ball" post="1064224" timestamp="1370766135"Although I would have liked everything in Brunswick Green....

Hi Neal,

I hope you enjoy the photo charter - I will no doubt snap a few iPad shots on my way to the pub for my evening meal... No. 1466 if you want to be in an authentic BR livery, she can only ever be in BR black - it was preserved in this livery. She has only ever carried lined BR green in preservation.

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Neal,

I hope you enjoy the photo charter - I will no doubt snap a few iPad shots on my way to the pub for my evening meal... No. 1466 if you want to be in an authentic BR livery, she can only ever be in BR black - it was preserved in this livery. She has only ever carried lined BR green in preservation.

All the best,

Castle

I shall think of that warm pub, if the Sat night turns out to be cold and damp! - The other half will be safely tucked up in the Premier Inn, which will be great for a quick kip and a shower at some point!

Back on topic - that photo of 1466 looks very good.

• Like 1

Hi All,

A whitemetal reef?

Of all the wagon collection at Didcot, perhaps the most enigmatic and unusual is CORAL A No. 41723. The diagram D vehicles were all built around the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century and under just two diagrams , D1 & D2. There was a third 6 wheel version but this wasn't strictly a GWR design, having been inherited at grouping. It was short lived but I suspect would make a great model... The primary purpose of these wagons was to carry plate glass. This was held in wooden packing cases between the curious looking upper frames and down in the deep well of the vehicle. There were also two other adjustable intermediate frames on the D2 vehicles that were inboard of the two permanently fixed ones to further support and secure the fragile loads.

Their service lives have not been well researched but there has been much help given to me by My fellow RMWEB members when I started this thread here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71697-gwr-wagon-oddities/

Thanks again to all concerned - it is a gold mine of CORAL related facts now! Although they were designed to carry plate glass in packing crates, some of the CORALs actually ended their days as steel plate carriers at Port Talbot. A few soldiered on in their original task when joined by the 'genetically similar' BR Lot 170 wagons post nationalisation. They all slowly became extinct except for one. This had become a test vehicle for Dowty and as such escaped the cull. No. 41723 was saved by Didcot's fellow preservationist, the 813 Fund and delivered to 81E in 1981. To say that the restoration of No. 41723 represents a considerable challenge is a bit of an understatement and much of the plate work in it is so thin that it can only really be replaced so that will have to wait for the future. It continues to befuddle and interest visitors to 81E who often ask questions about it when they discover the wagon.

post-14393-0-60378400-1370777954_thumb.jpg

The Little Didcot version of No. 41723 is based on the long out of production Ks white metal kit. I managed (with the assistance of my other half) to get a pre assembled one from that well known auction site. It looked ok in the pictures and although all the bits were there and as such it was ripe for a bit of deconstruction and reconstruction. Lovers of CORAL As please look away now - Castle SMASH!*

post-14393-0-06219400-1370778024_thumb.jpg

A bath in Dettol later produced a shiny pile of parts. The work schedule for the wagon was laid out and looked like this:

1 Rebuild the body so that were no gaps in it - the previous owner hadn't managed anything near this...

2 Replace the wheels and add bearings. This wasn't as simple as it sounds as I wasn't happy with the fit of the bearings in the side panels - they were a little large and the potential for not getting it all lined up was huge. To this end I decided to make a sub chassis to fit later on.

3 The frames in whitemetal might have cut it at the time this kit was produced but I didn't feel that they did the rest of the kit justice. I decided to replace them with brass 'L' section and while I was at it, fabricate the missing moveable racks too.

4 Sort out the brake handles. Not only are they chunky and moulded on but they are also on the wrong end (hands up who hadn't noticed that one before - I certainly hadn't before starting this!). Etched replacements from MRD seemed the way to go.

5 Provide not only the missing ends to the load well but also to detail the ends in such a way as it looked reasonable from the outside too.

6 Put a load in it. I can't remember (but there again I'm not that observant!) seeing one in 4mm scale that had been loaded and making the packing cases looked like a little challenge.

7 Research the correct BR period livery for the wagon. Again, I couldn't remember seeing a 4mm scale one in this livery and with the help of those fine fellows on RMWEB, a most plausible scenario for the scheme was worked out.

post-14393-0-10121800-1370778096_thumb.jpg

After reassembling the basic kit as Ks intended, I then began to look at the racks on the top. The plan was to get some 'L' section of the correct dimensions and then bend and cut to size. A series of small cuts was made to allow the bend to occur in the correct plane and this was then soldered up to return the strength and tidy it up. A comparison between the two before the new one was soldered in place is shown here.

post-14393-0-02791100-1370778154_thumb.jpg

The triangular gussets that hold the uprights in place were added on then the whole lot was soldered in place.

post-14393-0-45288100-1370778289_thumb.jpg

End details began with the adding of the ends of the well and the lower chassis cross member that goes at the bottom.

post-14393-0-83567500-1370778333_thumb.jpg

The new sub frame to carry the wheels was made by soldering two pieces of 2mm internal diameter tube to a length of brass stock the correct thickness to from the 'bearings'. The new wheel sets had their pinpoint axle ends removed to allow them to fit between the frames and then a wheel was carefully prised off and then reassembled around the bearing tube. A short session with my brass back to back gauge and I was there!

post-14393-0-86116000-1370778375_thumb.jpg

Once fitted I got this:

post-14393-0-17744800-1370778453_thumb.jpg

The inner moveable load frames were next and they were made n the same way as the outer one except they lack the gussets.

post-14393-0-29254100-1370778512_thumb.jpg

Once it was all soldered together it ended up looking like the picture you see below. It required quite a bit of filling to get everything to line up and sit straight so this meant the loss of quite a bit of rivet detail. This was replaced with rivet transfers after the vehicle had been primed and had a light coat of gloss varnish applied to help them stick. It then got a coat of BR unfitted freight grey.

post-14393-0-62705400-1370778614_thumb.jpg

The lashing rings and brake gear were added and then the gloss coat in preparation for the transfers went on. The transfers are the best fit for what was decided upon in the afore mentioned thread and the only issue I have is that the text that reads GLASS WC is a little large but trying to do that in separate letters any smaller would have been a path to madness even if I had any! The packing cases were started at this point and were made from paper thin balsa wood. This was cut into scale plank sizes and then built up exactly as the real thing would have been except using balsa cement instead of nails!

post-14393-0-07686500-1370779018_thumb.jpg

A dose of Castle style weathering in Games Workshop inks and Tamiya weathering powders and then a bit of work with some scale chains and some etched nickel silver load shackles suitably blackened gave me this to play with. I know it probably should be rope for this job but I quite liked the look!

post-14393-0-76428400-1370778777_thumb.jpg

post-14393-0-37578000-1370778815_thumb.jpg

Well, it is getting to the stage where I can't put off that Super Saloon train much longer. Apart from the fact that The other half has just secured the Kirk kit for P17 ballast wagon No. 80789 AND the Ks whitemetal kit to build the Didcot N34 loco coal wagon No. 63066. She is getting really good at this Ebay lark! Decisions, decisions...

All the best,

Castle

*With apologies to the Hulk - I REALLY don't want to upset him...

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Enjoy!

All the best,

Castle

I notice you have replaced the small Airfix couplers with screw links

• Like 1

I notice you have replaced the small Airfix couplers with screw links

Hi MJI,

I fitted the Mainly Trains detail kit too - looks quite realistic now...

That replacement whitemetal smokebox door was a bit heavy though.

All the best,

Castle

I really like your thread, there's a lot of good information about preserved railway stock. Incidental in a lot of photographs there is some really useful information about Didcot itself. The locomotive hoist has the GWR colours with a dark stone bottom half and a light stone colour for the top half. The machines nearby it and the pit are full of great detail. To my mind these are really useful pictures to modellers. So thank you very much. I spent ages trying to find a hoist similar to the ratio kit I have just built for my layout and even though I have painted it yellow (I don't have a GWR are to date this is the only one I have sourced that still exists, and due to a serious lack of pictures of this type of hoist it still gives loads of information. Thank you also for permission to use your picture on my own thread. For anyone wishing to portray GWR your offer of a trip to Didcot is wonderful. I will be subscribing to your thread to catch further glimpses of Didcot as it continues to stave off time and reflect the past in all its glory.

Hi All,

No, I haven't forgotten...

I made a bit of an effort to get Super Saloon No. 9118 a bit closer to finished and made up and painted the interior. The kitchen area and the windows around it on the corridor side are all obscured so I won't detail that bit. Likewise with the loo! The seats are not quite the right pattern but these are available in a bag from Souther Pride so they got a sale out of me! The tables are adapted out of the Comet set that came in the kit and the table lamps are of the correct Trollope & Co. pattern from Dart Castings. In order to get some bums on seats I have ordered a few figure sets from Gaugemaster but I bet I can't resist repainting them... The tables I painted white in the thought that they would probably have table cloths on them while dining was in progress.

post-14393-0-05466400-1371776021_thumb.jpg

I still have to add the coach photo prints, the windows, the curtains , the passengers, the door handles, the grab handles, the weathering, etc, etc. I thought I was getting close to done here and I have got two more to do that are still just etched brass components! Oh well...

All the best,

Castle

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Built to (bal)last.

The P17 ballast wagons were built in the mid 1930s and was essentially a modified version of an earlier diagram of 20 ton vehicle, the P12 but was 21'6" over the head stocks and used the frames of an N31 loco coal wagon. The design was clearly successful as although only 40 were built, the design them morphed into the P19 that saw another 100 constructed. The main difference between these two was the height of the sides. The P19 in turn became the father of the highly successful Grampus series of British Railways designs. A total of 4,781 Grampus wagons were built between 1951 and 1961, some later versions were equipped with vacuum braking. This type of wagon was used on every Region of British Railways until well into the latter quarter of the 20th Century.

post-14393-0-85030500-1374567986_thumb.jpg

The P17 vehicle preserved at Didcot is No. 80789 from lot 1243 and constructed in 1937. It is the sole survivor of its type and is also an example of 'pure' preservation as it is still in use for the job for which it was intended along with its P15 cousin No. 80668. That's the best kind of preservation at the end of the day - still useful after 76 years!

Little No. 80789 was proving something of an issue as there are no kits available currently... Enter my other half and her mighty eBay skills! An ancient unbuilt Kirk kit for the very beast cropped up and was duly snaffled. The price tag proudly displays the legend 'South Eastern Models' (I guess now long closed - anyone know them at all?) and proffers the goods for the princely sum of £1!

post-14393-0-93782800-1374568080_thumb.jpg

I started off with a clean up of the sides & ends and the removal of the moulded buffer bodies. I will be replacing them with the L.M.S. cast whitemetal GWR two rib versions shown.

post-14393-0-54102900-1374568211_thumb.jpg

The basic box was made up...

post-14393-0-26098400-1374568291_thumb.jpg

...and then the floor was fitted.

post-14393-0-84199400-1374568403_thumb.jpg

Attentions then turned to the sole bars and axle boxes which, after there extended stay in the plastic bag, had become a bit warped. I managed to get them to sit flat along their length with careful teasing but the axle boxes were another matter. I could have gone for the same approach as I did with my OPEN C but the axle boxes on this kit were not only of the correct type but were also nicely moulded. A plan to offer renewed rigidity and squareness was required.

post-14393-0-62814300-1374568507_thumb.jpg

In the best Blackadder traditions, a cunning plan was hatched. This involved the opening out of the holes in the boxes to receive the top hat shaped pinpoint bearings. Then, a crude chassis was formed from the not so crude 'W' iron etching from MJT and a section of brass bar that I had in the spares box. This was soldered up to form a sort of sub chassis. This clipped in place nicely but made the outer bits of the moulded 'W' irons look unbelievable thick. These were cut off after this picture was taken.

post-14393-0-59053600-1374568764_thumb.jpg

The moulded brake gear was not as good and looked a bit too chunky for my liking. The triangular brackets I had in a in abundance from various half used etches (inc. a Mainly Trains one I think and some bits from MRD) but the shoes and rods eluded me. Then, as I put a new kit purchase in my store box I noticed my Parkside kit for a unfitted GRAMPUS. This I had liberated from a local second hand shop for a nominal sum and had squirrelled away for my permanent way train (unrestored 1951 built No. 985007 is at 81E). In there were some commendably thin brake mouldings at the correct wheelbase for the P17. Due to Parkside's policy of making single moulds for half a wagon frame, this meant there were twice the number of brake components needed for the GRAMPUS - eureka!

post-14393-0-86301000-1374568945_thumb.jpg

A little light cobbling later and the resulting wagon looked like this. The door bangs were missing from the kit and were fabricated in brass strip and fitted after this picture was taken.

post-14393-0-55505300-1374569058_thumb.jpg

Some Halfords, Humbrol and Games Workshop products later and it looked like this. Transfers are from CCTs excellent sheets.

post-14393-0-93578000-1374569183_thumb.jpg

All the best,

Castle

Hang on!

I've got all these GRAMPUS bits all over my workbench now and it is the last wagon (apart from the 6ton hand crane) that I need to build for my p/way engineers train. Well, as they are there... No. 985007 looks like this today. It actually is far better than it seems but it is one of those 'just jobs'. "I'll just do that sometime..."

post-14393-0-64293800-1374569390_thumb.jpg

Construction of the wagon was pretty much the same so the only bit worth illustrating for you good folks in RMWEB land is the fact that due to the nature of the body design, with its removable end planks, the chassis has to be built first.

post-14393-0-13033400-1374569326_thumb.jpg

post-14393-0-91090500-1374569456_thumb.jpg

Then the body can be constructed around it. This I managed to get in a bit of a faff with and it was obviously one of those days where something so simple gets to be a right royal pain! In the end I got there though. And apart from the Morton brakes and end plank cages underneath, it kit terms it is the same constructional process.

post-14393-0-47186700-1374569617_thumb.jpg

As in Little Didcot's time period No. 985007 is pretty much new, a very restrained weathering hand was used just to make things just a touch grubby and to provide a bit of contrast on the details.

post-14393-0-46510000-1374569676_thumb.jpg

The score is therefore GRAMPUS kit 1 Castle 1...

All the best,

Castle

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant.  Good to see you back in the saddle. 

Term over - more modelling and Big Didcot time?

What do you use as ballast in those wagons?

Hi M.I.B.

Yes, my brain is on its annual 6 week shut down...

I hope to get a few things done and indeed finished. I have a set of Super saloons to progress with and the Hornby Castle to convert to No. 4079. I also have a pair of 3D printed POLLEN Es to build and a number of other coaches including No. 9002 the VIP saloon and No. 9083 the first class sleeper. I have also got involved with my fellow Didcot modellers in a little project that we will post up some time soon.

No. 4079 (12":1' scale version!) is also cracking on too. We are about to start refitting the valve gear and we are waiting on the pistons that are being machined to fit the new liners and then we have to order the new piston rings. I also help out with No 4144 and that engine is really cracking on too.

I just use some woodland scenics ballast to fill the wagons and fix it in place exactly as you would the ballast on a layout - with watered down PVA plus a dash of washing up liquid to loosen the surface tension. Saves having to weight the wagons too!

Thanks for the compliments and likes and so on everyone!

All the best,

Castle