Hi Nick,

That is great - definitely right for the Auto coach grills. I think that the ones in the full brake might be different but I will have to check. I shall get ordering...

Cheers,

Castle

Hi All,

Mozzer - do you have a picture of some of the 247 ones (even ones fitted to a coach) please as their website doesn't show anything?

Thanks again everyone!

Castle

My camara is in the loft with the layout & the kids are in bed will take some photos tomorrow

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Castle,

I used these 247 etches on my K42 but with some modifications.

post-6916-0-15885900-1361744546_thumb.jpg

post-6916-0-81375800-1361744579_thumb.jpg

The door grills were made using two of the right hand grills on top of each other (I had intended to just use one but they are too small to fill the window).

The window grills were made from the  etch marked LMS. Again parts of two etches were used for each window.

It's not 100% accurate but will do me until I can find a better match.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Castle, not my period so I am walking on thin ice - and I do not know if BR changed some of the GWR grilles. But FWIW:.

Looking at the K41 in Russel's vol 2, I think Nick's etch is right for the doors. AFAIK this pattern should not fill out the whole window (ie the bars only covered the center portion of the window). You can see the description of this pattern from Blacksmith in the photo if that is any help in getting the right etch from Coopercraft.

If I'm not mistaken, the windows should have 5 bars horisontally. Blacksmith also did that etch. Alas I do not have their ref no. or description anymore, but you could send this photo to Coopercraft and ask if they have them available or some left-overs maybe from the Blacksmith stock.

Edit: I forgot that you are modelling the one at Didcot - so you will want that condition and  can check for yourself of course! Oh well....

I see now that the window grilles illustrated were part no. 460 102 when Blacksmith had them.

post-738-0-63247000-1361772742.jpg

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 4

Hi All,

Thanks for all the help above. Stuff like this will doubtless help others too.

Taz: that K42 is a lovely job - I am still surprised its your first brass kit! It must be natural talent good sir. Thanks for the information.

Mikkel: that is most helpful - cheers! It confirms that my order to buy that type as well from Cooper Craft last night was a wise choice!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for both the tip and the compliment!

I need to get a Y2 FRUIT and an OPEN C from Mr G. in the not too distant future so I may call him up. I do have one more super saloon kit to put in the pending pile for the boat train first though...

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for both the tip and the compliment!

I need to get a Y2 FRUIT and an OPEN C from Mr G. in the not too distant future so I may call him up. I do have one more super saloon kit to put in the pending pile for the boat train first though...

All the best,

Castle

Theres a unbuilt kit for a Y2 on ebay at the moment. ;) Not the Geen kit though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Perseverance-wagon-kit-of-GWR-Diagram-Y2-Fruit-Van-/160980453631?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item257b2ec8ff

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 1

Hi All,

Duck is getting better...

Just a quick photo treat for you all. The boiler removal process that was undertaken just before Christmas last year on Pannier No. 3738 has been reversed you will be glad to know. The boiler passed its post repair steam test last week, has been given the once over and the thumbs up by the insurance company's inspector and we now just (!) have to reassemble the thing so the last 4 years of the engine's current boiler ticket can be enjoyed.

post-14393-0-12229600-1362003447_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, I couldn't be there last Saturday when the boiler was restored to its rightful position but I figured you would all like to see the results. The shiny silver paint is of a special heat resistant type that should help to further prolong the life of the boiler. It does have the look of some bizarre open cab Dean Goods without the tanks doesn't it?! The chance was taken to spruce her up a bit and a bit of paint has been splashed around in all the right places on the frames as well to complete the current face lift. No. 3738 should be up and about again very soon. Out of interest, the grey thing making a special guest appearance in the bottom left corner of the picture is the work in progress 3,500 gallon tender for Saint No.2999 Lady of Legend. I will take another few pictures for you to see as we go along.

All the best,

Castle

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Interesting account of Pannier No. 3738 and Lady of Legend's tender, Castle.  Looking forward to seeing further progress in the flesh.

Are those GWR colours on the lifting hoist? 

I'm guessing they are about right for the one I am should will continue building soon for Great West Road.

Your brake is looking good.  Keep up the good work. :)

Polly

• Like 1

Hi Kev,

No thanks - creating a County, a Saint and little blue tank engine No. 1 at 81E and not to mention the GWS 47XX project at Llangollen is enough recreations for now...

All the best,

Castle

Interesting account of Pannier No. 3738 and Lady of Legend's tender, Castle. Looking forward to seeing further progress in the flesh.

I'm guessing they are about right for the one I am should will continue building soon for Great West Road.

Your brake is looking good. Keep up the good work. :)

Polly

Hi Polly,

Yes - original GWR stone type hues are in evidence here - I imagine they were the same across the board. I THINK it is in the Great Western Way and / or the Shed Book. I will check my copies tomorrow for you unless someone else gets there first... Thanks for the compliment on little No. 111!

I hope to see You and Ray again soon.

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 1

Hi Kev,

No thanks - creating a County, a Saint and little blue tank engine No. 1 at 81E and not to mention the GWS 47XX project at Llangollen is enough recreations for now...

All the best,

Castle

Perhaps all the dedicated volunteers at 81E already have enough on the go!

If you happen to have a bit of time to spare, would there be any chance of you doing a little update on the current status of the restoration of 4079?

• Like 2

Hi Kevin,

Sorry it took a while to get back to you. I am 'on shed' at the weekend and I will take a few snaps to do a little feature on No. 4079 for you (model coming soon!). The general outlook is rosy though and large lumps of motion are poised to go back up at the moment.

Hi RJS1977

I didn't realise either! Funny old world... I don't know what yours is like but the body on No. 111 isn't great but it has the advantage of having the majority of its period interior still in place.

The weird thing is that Didcot has No 1 (breakdown train tool van), No. 111 (the K41) and No.1111 (Collett C77 8 compartment sunshine third)! I wonder, is there a GWR No. 11 out there still?

All the best,

Castle

Polly

Hi Polly,

The colour seem to be across the board for all the pictures of lifting shop cranes in the Lyons Great Western Engine Sheds 1947. The lower section on dark stone, upper works in light stone. I suspect that nobody has ever repainted the one at Didcot so it would be genuine GWR paint too!

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Gold

It might also be chocolate. In some of the previous discussions about GWR liveries on here, we have established that the GWR used chocolate inside some workshops, goods depots etc.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 2

I am 'on shed' at the weekend and I will take a few snaps to do a little feature on No. 4079 for you (model coming soon!). The general outlook is rosy though and large lumps of motion are poised to go back up at the moment.

That would be great. It'll be nice to see how she's progressed since I saw her last summer.

• Like 2

The weird thing is that Didcot has No 1 (breakdown train tool van), No. 111 (the K41) and No.1111 (Collett C77 8 compartment sunshine third)! I wonder, is there a GWR No. 11 out there still?

Surely GWR No. 11 was one of the original batch of "Flying Banana" Diesel Railcars?

• Like 2