Hi All,

Super - Size post No. 3

Well, the Auto Trailer has needed a bit of tweaking still but in the meantime here is another 'blast from the past' that needed sorting out! I have wants to piece together the bits of Super Saloon No. 9118 for a while now but what with life getting in the way and so on, I haven't got around to finishing it.

In a flurry of activity though, we are finally there. I have added a few Preiser figures to give a few dashes of colour through the window. I know they are HO scale but given the slight 'blur' factor of the plastic in the window and a bit of distance between viewer and model they look fine to my eyes. They also fit very well in the Southern Pride seats and it means I don't have to paint them as well... A job that I don't mind doing on occasion for a few figures like a loco crew but a whole coach load of diners and waiters is a bit much! There is a light weathering on the chassis, ends and the roof but as these were the most cosseted of GWR/BR(W) passenger carrying vehicles, I have been very restrained. A solid brass coupling with hose detail and a couple of card gangways bellows with etched end plates and we are about done! I tried various ways of doing the curtains to no avail - how do other people do them if at all? I have a good mind to leave them off...

post-14393-0-17335700-1390427271_thumb.jpg

The plan now is to build the other two Didcot Super Saloons (Nos. 9112 & 9113) alongside each other as I have done one, it seems silly to keep repeating myself so while it might take a while to do it this way I think it's for the best. I am also adding Hawksworth full brake No. 316 as the trailing vehicle which I am going to base on the Hornby offering. The boat trains had as many luggage vans as coaches it would seem. Then we move on to motive power and as Hornby have announced No. 4073 (yes, I have ordered it already!) I will use the loco from this model and the tender from Tintagel Castle to do No. 4079. A friend has already said that he will take the other tender and loco to do a period version of No. 5000 so waste not, want not! the only issue with this is the fact that the model of No. 4073 isn't due until November.

Darn.

Still, plenty of time to do the 3 coaches I suppose!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 15

........ I tried various ways of doing the curtains to no avail - how do other people do them if at all? I have a good mind to leave them off...

Not sure if you've seen it Castle but in his latest instalment on styrene sheet coach building in MRJ 228 Geoff Kent describes making curtains by simply scribing styrene sheet, his are complete with representations of the tie backs!

Adrian

Cheers Adrian,

I will pick up a copy on the way to work tomorrow!

The other half got one of these Cameo things for Christmas - I feel a CAD drawing coming on...

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob,

I have tried them but I personally didn't like the effect they gave - thanks for the help though!

All the best,

Castle

I think they look ok on my centenarys. ;)

post-126-0-71320400-1390766571.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 7

Hi Rob,

Perhaps I tried to be a bit too technical with my paint job - I might take another look at them. Did you just use the one colour or did you shade them please?

Thanks again for the advice mate!

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle

• 2 months later...

Little Didcot - The Return...

Hi All,

In another galactic size gap between posts, your friendly reporter from all things 81E has scraped together a few things for you all to look at. Here we go then...

Wot U 4 then?

No. 290 is one of those rarer beasts - a pre grouping 4 wheeled coach in preservation. It was built as part of Lot No. 990 in 1902 and was originally a Dean 4 wheel composite 1st/3rd to diagram U4. It was used in departmental service until eventually being secured for the collection in the early 1970s. Time had not been kind to the vehicle and much of the original fabric has deteriorated. The long term society aim is to produce a train of Victorian style passenger vehicles and Nos. 290, 416, 933, 975 and 2511 all have a part to play potentially. The restoration of No. 290 was given a boost when the company wishing to film Anna Karenina chose Didcot.

post-14393-0-94984200-1398001038_thumb.jpg

The company not only wished to use the loco shed as Moscow Station and 5322 as a Russian Machine but they also needed to build their own functioning Russian style coach. No. 290 to the rescue! In return for funding the restoration, the chassis of No. 290 was overhauled and the film company built their own body to suit it. This shows off one of the interesting features of this vehicle - the wooden ‘Mansell’ wheels that gave a quieter ride in a 4 wheel coach than all-metal ones. This just leaves the body to do. 'Just' is such a simple word though...

post-14393-0-32178000-1398000895_thumb.jpg

The whole body is being stripped down to an almost IKEA flat pack state so that the condition of the timbers can be assessed, repaired or replaced and then the coach will be reassembled. Watch this space...

post-14393-0-94896000-1398001125_thumb.jpg

The model I have done is based on the fact that I didn't really have any idea of what it's departmental number (and I missed the D off too!) was or what it did in departmental service so a long time ago I just built it using the Ratio sides, roof and interior and the Mainly Trains chassis and ends kit and went with what you see here. I intend to use it in my permanent way train with ballast wagons and so on so I used it as a crew transport vehicle. The figures are the dock workers set from Prieser.

post-14393-0-96405500-1398000910_thumb.jpg

I have also done some more weathering for my friend with the penchant for little German things (oooh errr) and here is an engine and a coach which probably have a really exciting prototype history but I couldn't tell you a thing about them...

post-14393-0-43599500-1398000922_thumb.jpg

To quote the Clarkson - On that bombshell it's time to end!

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 12

Glad to see the coach being restored. As a carpenter we were taught to cut out any rot three feet above the last signs, Hence why windows are replaced not repaired. The frame there does not look too bad for being over a hundred. I am sure my skeleton will look far worse at the same age.

Not another bl##dy film of Anna Karenina. Cant they think of something new?

• Like 3

Hi Peter,

There is quite a lot of rot in the frame but the 3' rule can't be used otherwise the C&W department will be reusing only bits of the roof... That which cannot be reused will be treated as a pattern and the new sections produced as far as possible in the Swindon tradition.

I am enjoying your Mogul build too!

Thanks Jaz - the same to you and yours as well!

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Gold

Your 4 wheeler is looking excellent. Do you have any constructional pics? I have one waiting in the wings although the only Ratio part used will end up being the roof! I also have the Mainly Trains chassis/ends and a set of Shire Scenes U12 Brake Composite brass sides.

Hi Ric,

Thanks for the compliment! I made little No. 290 a long time before I joined RMWEB so no pictures unfortunately, sorry. It was just that I took a while to decide what figures I was going to use and the roof remained off until then!

The kit itself is pretty easy. It is well set out and almost falls together. The only more challenging bit (not that it is really) is making sure that you cut the chassis to the right length but it's not too bad at all. Nothing to worry about.

If you have any issues with it just ask!

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle

• RMweb Gold

Hi Castle, good to see the U4 - real and model - and some Mansell wheels not least. The latter add a lot to these coaches, I think - Ok so call me strange :-)

I would also be interested to hear your experiences with the Mainly trains chassis etch, I've only ever used the Ratio and Shirescenes bits on these 4-wheelers. Edit: You beat me to it, thanks :-)

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1

Hi Mikkel,

The chassis is great - built in compensation and everything! Much stronger than the plastic running boards too so I am surprised that more people don't use it. As the individual mouldings are available from Ratio it makes a lot of sense... I would recommend it (usual disclaimer and all).

The wheels are cool aren't they?!

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

They're BACK!

Well the diseasels are making their second appearance at 81E and it's quite an exciting line up!

The third Deltic on site in two years and leader of the convoy on the main line is the NRM's No. 55 002 KOYLI. Looking resplendent in rail blue livery.

post-14393-0-01067400-1400191817_thumb.jpg

We also have a Class 47 visiting, sometime resident of the GCR, 47292 is in the large logo livery. It really looks the part and has obviously had a great deal of time and energy spent bringing it to this condition. Very nice!

post-14393-0-25609300-1400191921_thumb.jpg

Then we have something I never thought I would see at 81E - the prototype HST No. 41 001! This has been a really amazing project to revive this hugely important machine from its museum slumber and although she is not expected to pull trains, she may well show her colours by running her engine up - exciting stuff!

post-14393-0-21092800-1400191974_thumb.jpg

post-14393-0-84443400-1400191986_thumb.jpg

I thought this picture of the front coupling being used was quite interesting - I don't know why... Probably because I personally haven't seen it done before!

post-14393-0-88150000-1400191998_thumb.jpg

Finally for today is No. D6700. Variously Known as No. 37 119 and later still as No. 37 350, she was the pioneer 'Tractor' and has the wonderful BR Green livery and split head code boxes that make her look not totally out of place outside the coal stage!

post-14393-0-25727700-1400192058_thumb.jpg

The other visiting locomotives appearing on the weekend of the 24th - 26th May could include 'our' HST power car No. 43024 'Great Western Society 1961- 2011 Didcot Railway Centre' and No. 57 604 'Pendennis Castle' visiting on the Saturday and the Sunday if they can be spared from working for a living!

The home side oil burners won't be letting the side down either with GWR Diesel Railcar No. 22 and 08604 in operation too. Hopefully, the latest acquisition for the Railway Centre, Class 14 D9516 will also be making its first appearance at its new home. It is currently in the Didcot area and is waiting to be delivered across the main line by the local crews.

On my way home I saw a yellow network rail Class 31 and a pair of Class 20s too so a non diesel enthusiast has seen today:

HST (I went home on one so it counts!)

Class 55

Class 47

Class 37 Prototype

Class 31

Class 20 (x2)

Class 08.

The Prototype HST

The 'sort of Class 05' DL 26 - a.k.a. 'The Rat'

Railcar No. 22

That's not bad going for someone not even TRYING to see classic diesels - if only I had gone looking for the Class 14 too... I hope to see some of you at the Gala - the No. 4079 team will be in residence and working on the locomotive - so come to the loco works and make yourself known!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 5

Thanks Brian!

Well, the last Swindon built class for the UK main line network finally comes 'home'.

If we were going to be silly about it (and why wouldn't we?!) I suppose we could have sung:

Next week's the week the Teddy Bear has its picnic!

I would normally say "I'll get my coat" but as it's on my thread, this once, I won't if that is ok with everyone!

The chief engineer on No. 4079 spent part of his career with large marine Diesel engines and as he has tinkered with both DL 26 and 08 604 in the past, he will be itching to get a look at this one too!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 3

G'day, Castle,

Here's another image for your archives from my 1975 trip to the UK: the prototype HST on display at Shildon on 26 Aug 1975. I saw and heard it also in the grand procession of locos on 31 Aug 1975. Very impressive!

post-17793-0-47310400-1400276564_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Rob

• Like 7