Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Have you ever "lost" a model and then found it later?

• RMweb Premium

I've been tidying my shed out (over about 3 weeks!) to try and arrange all my "to-do" stuff into some semblance of order.

I like to have "project boxes", where all the stuff for that particular model(s) and model itself, is kept whilst doing the work. Today was the day when I tried to pile the boxes into some sort of priority order and I came across one particular box where everything was there, except the 90% complete item.......

I knew I had last seen a couple of days before Stafford Ex (about 4 weeks ago) when I decided not to take it, as it wasn't complete and put it safely to one side - or so I thought.

4 hours later and looking through all my project/stock boxes/shelves, most of them twice, much to my relief it has resurfaced in literally the very last box before I was about to concede defeat.

So my question is -

What are your lost and found stories - what's the longest period between giving up looking for something and then finding it later?

Cheers,

Mick

I do it all the time. In fact I now have a policy of deliberately NOT looking for anything for more than a couple of minutes, and then using an alternative. I end up trying to open tins with a hammer,drill holes with the electric screwdriver and all sorts of deviancy.

Needless to say, as soon as I don't need the item there it is! Usually exactly where it should be, and certainly where I have looked two or three times.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

About 15-17 years for a railway model - last year I found a MTK 3H DEMU on which I'd done some preliminary work back in the mid-90s. I opened the box, saw what lay inside, shuddered and put it away again (hopefully not to be found for another 15 years!)

My record is over 20 for an Airfix Douglas Boston kit, originally purchased in the mid '70s, started soon afterwards but subsequently mislaid and not finally finished until around '96 from memory.

I recently rediscovered my large (1:12?) Airfix Blower Bentley kit after more than 25 years. I remember having to stop work on it because some of the parts were distorted. I wrote to Airfix and they replaced them, but by that time I had started a part time degree, got married and started a family although not necessarily in that order, so the project went into the attic.

Ed

• RMweb Gold

The one thing I've lost that continually bugs me is a Peco Western National bus that I made and painted as a kid. I mislaid it when I gave up trains. I've found everything else from that period but not the bus, so it's assumed almost mythic proportions in my imagination. I suspect if it turned up tomorrow it would look very tatty and badly made but in my mind it's the best model ever.

Well, when I packed all my stuff away [cars, pubs, girls, etc] I didn't have a list of everything as such.

I dabbled soon after we got married, had a little bit of space, and only got some of it out.

Years later when I built my 'train shed' in the garden, gradually I went through the boxes.

It wasn't until a few years later, when we had to do the roof, I had to sort out the loft and I found

another box of assorted stock [about 50 wagons!] that I had forgotten I owned.

So I guess that was 20yrs or so.

Jeff

I keep finding tiny kit components, screws, springs etc. on the carpet tiles in the room where I model, some from ten years ago or more. But by the time they've resurfaced, I usually don't need them any more. And many must have got sucked up into the hoover over the years.

I'm currently looking for my Blue Bachy Deltic. Took body off for renumbering and pretty much finished the job bar the D's as I had run out. I've put body and chassis somewhere I haven't got a clue whereabouts!!

I've mislaid a K's body line kit for the LMS Garratt...................................but I'm still hoping it'll turn up one day!!

Most people mislay a buffer, but a Beyer Garratt? What have you got on your workshop floor, quick sand?. :biggrin_mini2:

Most people mislay a buffer, but a Beyer Garratt? What have you got on your workshop floor, quick sand?. :biggrin_mini2:

I reckon anyone who has managed to mislay a Big Boy deserves a prize... :P

Well I know where the Garratt is, it's with the Big Boy, I just don't know where that is :P

• RMweb Gold

Lost a Mainline Collett Goods. Several years later we were moving house. A small first layout I built for my son was in the garage. Sadly it had deteriorated beyond reasonable repair, so was stripped for useful bits. The Collett was found in the back of the loco shed. A quick clean and service and it is now amusing my grandson.

Probably the WD 2-8-0 (in box) that was eventually found in the back of a cupboard after 3 years of wondering where the heck it had gone to..... :scratchhead:

Like Horsetan, I'm forever losing parts, buying anew and losing those in turn..... :rolleyes:

Archived