Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - "it's a drag, man......."

• RMweb Premium

Not done too much modelling lately due to work/family commitments, but I'll have some of the latest stuff at my demo stand at the NEC this weekend.

Come and say hello on A53.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that chat at Warley , really inspirational stuff ! Looking forward to seeing deadmans lane , hopefully next year ! All the best ,Marcus.

Thanks!

Good to chat to friends old and new at the NEC over the weekend.

Suitable liquid refreshment medicine to ease my vocal cords is being consumed.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

So Mick,

How does this make you feel? Is this the end of the yellow perils? Dun dun dun

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/network-rail-trains-tracks-chris-grayling-privatisation-a7453471.html

Someone. somewhere. will still have to test the track. Whether that means each "track owner" having their own test trains, or a separate subcontractor? More new liveries?

Reading elsewhere (and probably best to comment there than here) - it's going to be a difficult job to carry through the idea.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Premium

Despite a few months of not much modelling, I've finally decided to get my @r$£ into gear and finish a few yellow projects.

post-408-0-48340800-1481152376_thumb.jpg

SGT pairings of 977985/977986 and 99666/72630 along with PLPR vehicles 1256 and 72639

The PLPR vehicles will be fitted with white LEDs for the underframe lighting

I'll fit decoders so I can switch the lighting as required.

And I'm experimenting with red LEDs for the laser gear on the SGTs

There may also be a queue-jumper 08 project for DL as well. (Thanks to Big Jim and his photo thread)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

This is one of those "can you tell what it is yet?"

Dodgy cruel close up pics as usual

the basic boxes cut out from Evergreen rectangular section

post-408-0-82741200-1482882946_thumb.jpg

Fixed together

post-408-0-93820300-1482882947_thumb.jpg

End plates - before and after cleaning up

post-408-0-86334400-1482882948_thumb.jpg

Slottedalong one edge.

post-408-0-81242100-1482882949_thumb.jpg

After playing around with some tube and LED's, I've started to fit the laser measuring gear to the two SGT coaches.

post-408-0-93215200-1482882950_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-29086600-1482882952_thumb.jpg

The "legs" are to attach the outer section of the drum and create a gap for the LED to shine through

post-408-0-35965000-1482882953_thumb.jpg

More soon.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

is the "guess what it is yet" the PLP measuring equipment

also ref the SGT you do know there are 2 different types of "dusty bin" lasers?

They are the PLPR boxes (albeit a simplified structure)

Ta for the info about the SGT lasers. I have pics of the one fitted to 977985, but not 72630..... (hint!)

Chjeers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I'll see what I can do!

There isn't much difference but I noticed the other week the movable laser covers are different, one is like a band (985) and the other is a clamp type

I think one of them (72630) is the one originally fitted to 460000 in it's last few months of operation. There are a few pics out there of 72630/99966 bar-coupled together, but no laser drum fitted

I saw 977985 on the first or second run out with the rotary system, accompanied by 460000 on what I think was it's last week or two in service.

Cheers,

Mick

I think one of them (72630) is the one originally fitted to 460000 in it's last few months of operation. There are a few pics out there of 72630/99966 bar-coupled together, but no laser drum fitted

I saw 977985 on the first or second run out with the rotary system, accompanied by 460000 on what I think was it's last week or two in service.

Cheers,

Mick

A photo I have on 18/4/14 shows 72630 - 99966 without the dustbin but with gangways removed and the coupling extension fitted.  So must have been shortly after that date ?

• RMweb Premium

Time for some testing and more cruel close up pics

This is the laser drum fitted to 977985 - the paint is a bit grubby as it's one of my testbed coaches - it'll soon receive a full tidy up.

post-408-0-84914900-1483146251_thumb.jpg

Inside is a 3mm LED that has been shortened by having the top dome filed down. I'm trying to hold a couple of wires to my tame 12v supply, as well as the coach and taking a pic at the same time.....

post-408-0-05046900-1483146251_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-32502800-1483146250_thumb.jpg

The pics highlight the gap between the two sections of the drum, but trust me, it looks better to the naked eye.

One of those moments when the hassle seems worthwhile.

The next jobs are to finish the underframes and add a few details to the bogies, whilst fitting pickups and a DCC decoder to power the LED. And tidy up the paint and glaze........

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

This lot will be mostly yellow. With grey roofs and black ends

post-408-0-64854600-1484092454_thumb.jpg

And looking a bit like Vic Berry's yard.

There will be some orange and black amongst the yellow.

post-408-0-52536000-1484092473_thumb.jpg

They were all stripped using 93% Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA). Obtained as 99% IPA in a 5 litre container via ebay. Diluted down with water.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 9

This lot will be mostly yellow. With grey roofs and black ends

attachicon.gifyellow1.jpg

And looking a bit like Vic Berry's yard.

There will be some orange and black amongst the yellow.

attachicon.giflocos.jpg

They were all stripped using 93% Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA). Obtained as 99% IPA in a 5 litre container via ebay. Diluted down with water.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick,

Just out of interest can I ask approximately how long you "bathed" the bodies in order to remove the factory paint using the Iso.

Grahame

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick,

Just out of interest can I ask approximately how long you "bathed" the bodies in order to remove the factory paint using the Iso.

Grahame

Typically an hour will see most of the paint soften enough to be helped off with a toothbrush.

Then another hour for the layer underneath and another hour for the really stubborn stuff.

The above is only a guide and will depend on the manufacture and the layers of paint.

It even works on Humbrol enamels and Alclad metallic paint.

It's not unknown for some paint that has had glue on it - say around the wipers to not come off at all......

I have left a body in IPA overnight with no ill effects.

Cheers,

Mick

Typically an hour will see most of the paint soften enough to be helped off with a toothbrush.

Then another hour for the layer underneath and another hour for the really stubborn stuff.

The above is only a guide and will depend on the manufacture and the layers of paint.

It even works on Humbrol enamels and Alclad metallic paint.

It's not unknown for some paint that has had glue on it - say around the wipers to not come off at all......

I have left a body in IPA overnight with no ill effects.

Cheers,

Mick

Good morning Mick,

Thank you for your reply it is very much appreciated, I have a 99.9% bottle IPA which I will dilute slightly and give it a go.

ATB

Grahame