Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Now then, Andy.

I'm glad you enjoyed the latest batch of photos I stuck on here earlier today. I just happened to have that 4MT handy. TMC have posted my weathered locos - they should be with me tomorrow/Monday. Since they include the WD and a 9F I'll post some appropriate pics.

I still need to conduct some weathering experiments for the main track bed, using diluted acrylics - principally dark umber and shades of grey. Never seem to get chance at the mo with all the garden work!!

Jeff

Evening Jeff, I am looking forward to seeing the WD and 9F pics, it will be interesting to see just how far TMC have dared to go with the WD, one thing is for certain, it wont be a bad as mine.

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Evening Jeff, I am looking forward to seeing the WD and 9F pics, it will be interesting to see just how far TMC have dared to go with the WD, one thing is for certain, it wont be a bad as mine.

Bodgit

I'm sure you are correct. Having just bought the model I asked them to give it what they call "heavy weathering", so we shall see.

Their custom weathered WDs are incredible. About as filthy as your example!

Jeff

Jeff when I had a model railway of any size, 9' x 4' approx., I applied grass with a rough 4" brush, very thick low quality dark khaki greenish greyish yellowish colour more or less exterior matt acrylic and it looked fine, once it was dry and house-dusty.

Then I sprinkled some grass and bush-like dark green things onto the thick wet paint here and there, job done.

I avoided painting where the track went, and where roads or paths went, or station carparks, the fibreboard tabletop colour was excellent for what you call 'cess', or the above roads and tracks.

Altogether it took about 2 hours. I was thorough and careful.

I thought you ought to KNOW this. I look forward to greenish hills on KL.

p.s. I had an urge to buy a Hornby factory-weathered LMS 8F 2-8-0 but resisted it firmly. The TMC-weathered version of the WD 2-8-0 will be interesting, their photos on their website are good.

http://www.themodelcentre.co.uk/customfinish/cat_110.html

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, Morning, not much happening on here so I will call back later to see the LATEST NEWS.

Bodgit

Yes, very quiet. A bit more ballasting done, but no progress made - I'll explain later and if I get chance, show some pics...

Need to re-stock with PVA, too. Coffee then into the bunker.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Update: Aside from all the garden work I've been doing, I've gone backwards to go forwards...

Posts 7431, 7438 and 7439 show the cutting ballasted and the main bridge fixed in place. The cess was ballasted using WS Cinders - very dark. This is at variance with the Carrs Light Grey I've subsequently used and I definitely prefer the latter for the cess.

Consequently, a few hours have been spent removing the cinders (very difficult - stuck on very well and relatively inaccessible) and replacing it. I'm not quite there yet, but here are some pics of what I've managed...

post-13778-0-14482700-1375034816_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-72432100-1375034822_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-64463600-1375034828_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-62696100-1375034834_thumb.jpg

The main line ballast (WS fine Grey blend) will be topped up - a little - along the "join", and a bit of weathering applied to line and cess, when I get round to it!

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

If you can manage if Jeff the cess needs a touch of 'grinding down' - I believe Larry (Coachman) uses a file to do that?

Is the grinding down to further depress the level or to reduce particle size? I'll conjure up some way or other! (Illegitimate or not!)

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Is the grinding down to further depress the level or to reduce particle size? I'll conjure up some way or other! (Illegitimate or not!)

Jeff

Basically to reduce the particle size - ash and clinker used in cess etc paths was crushed down and in any case would wear away as folk walked on it, especially in hobnail boots.  This the surface particle size could be relatively small - much less than running line ballast.

Hi Boss, the ballasting is coming on well, I too have had to go backwards on BR to get motivated again thanks in no small part to Chris N so I am back on track.

I do like the neat shoulder you have managed to get on the track, really nice job mate.

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Hi Boss, the ballasting is coming on well, I too have had to go backwards on BR to get motivated again thanks in no small part to Chris N so I am back on track.

I do like the neat shoulder you have managed to get on the track, really nice job mate.

Bodgit

Thanks Andy. I've just come in - because of the original coating of cess ballast the new cess was too high relative to the main line ballast. So I've had to give the main line a second coating - I'm about half way through. What a job! Nevermind, at least I feel better for having made the change!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I can almost smell the PVA!

PVA, yes.....

But I bet you can't smell the grass!!!!  :O  :no:

Btw, TMC weathered locos should arrive today - especially looking forward to the WD!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

A couple of pics of TMC weathered 9F and WD.

The 9F is the recent 92233 release, which was pre-weathered but has had additional grime applied! The WD is the latest DCC on board version, originally pristine, now a bit grubbier!

post-13778-0-96521700-1375094674_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-67251800-1375094680_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ok, I promise not to show any more photos of ballast for a while, after I've shown the results of the second coating to the main line.

Hurray - the awkward cutting is done - apart from a bit of top weathering. Now there's only another 50 hours of ballasting elsewhere!!

post-13778-0-38870300-1375099106_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-62592300-1375099112_thumb.jpg

Umm, I might just run the 9F and WD round for a while.....

Jeff

• Like 5

Hi Jeff, firstly that WD looks the Dogs........ That is really nice mate, I am looking forward to seeing it on the Ballasted Viaduct.

Secondly the Ballast, I don't mind more pics, its got me fired up to do something.

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, firstly that WD looks the Dogs........ That is really nice mate, I am looking forward to seeing it on the Ballasted Viaduct.

Secondly the Ballast, I don't mind more pics, its got me fired up to do something.

Bodgit

Right - now what I'm about to tell you just confirms my insanity....

I'm so pleased with the double-ballast dose on the cutting track - it clearly lifts the rail ballast above the cess - that I'm about to go into the bunker and add a second level to the viaduct.

This is going to take me 3-4 hours, in bursts. 

So Andy - when it's done I'll stick the WD onto the viaduct and take some pics for you.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Jeff all this is showing clearly you have one of the key attributes for building a great layout. Persistence. Lesser mortals would have said that's good enough by now. Keep going you won't regret it.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Jeff all this is showing clearly you have one of the key attributes for building a great layout. Persistence. Lesser mortals would have said that's good enough by now. Keep going you won't regret it.

Don

Cheers Don.

I was quite happy with one "coat" of ballast on the SMP - though the deeper sleepers on the Marcway needed two. HOWEVER, once I saw what two coats looked like on SMP - well, no contest. Takes bl**dy ages, but it'll be worth it in the end.

It's hard to see the depth in photos, but it's very noticeable "in situ". I'll try and capture the effect when I put the WD on the viaduct - probably tomorrow afternoon.

I keep hoping the end layout will be a good one. As long as it runs well, looks half-decent and gives pleasure to anyone that looks at it, that's good enough!

Jeff

• Like 1