Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I'm lucky to have all of the research - articles from books, his own photos etc - that Ian did prior to building KS West. You are correct re. photos of the yard - I've some 1960s b&w pics of the goods shed area, but there are none of the sidings.

So I'll stone ballast the links into the goods shed, but ash ballast the goods yard sidings. The question is, at what point would the ballast transition from stone to ash?

post-13778-0-41635400-1376919909_thumb.jpg

The question is for interest: that section of the layout is months away.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Good question Jeff. I sort of split the ballasting on the fully ballasted / ash ballasted turnouts, my reasoning being that if the running lines had been ballasted using hoppers and a Shark brake van or similar, where would the ballast have ended up. The below shot shows what I did (although it's not the easiest to make out as I've not weathered the ballast yet and it's all sort of weathered itself since being laid, to be a similar colour)

Ballast018_zpsde64e12e.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, did you see what I had delivered today? Go and look over on my thread ;)

Duly noted - I guessed correct! Hope to have one shortly - then maybe a second.....

Re. the ash/stone thing. I think that when I get to it I'll ballast the whole spur/sidings in ash. Would look silly swapping half way along. We'll see. I'm enjoying the ballasting (!!!!!!!!!!!) - so may put the track into the goods yard sooner rather than later. I think I'll need another turnout and more SMP...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Be warned, once the sidings go in, you'll start shunting. And when you start shunting, you'll become addicted.

:D

Yes, that worries me!! I've already been discussing the different options for magnetic uncoupling with Al.

Oh dear, so many things this can lead to - scratchbuilding the goods shed for starters (looking forward to it).

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Yes, that worries me!! I've already been discussing the different options for magnetic uncoupling with Al.

Oh dear, so many things this can lead to - scratchbuilding the goods shed for starters (looking forward to it).

Jeff

Does this mean that you are going to be moving away from tension locks then Jeff? I've found myself thinking about going 3 link recently, but are my eyes upto it anymore??

BTW the yard ballasting is looking great, and the track is looking pretty good too, although wouldn't the yard track be very poor, with dipped joints and strange cross levels? (;-} )

Andy G

Jeff, did you see what I had delivered today? Go and look over on my thread ;)

Been, :O          Seen, :stinker:             Wonderful. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Should have mine Wednesday hopefully. :senile:

Bodgit :sungum:

Jeff,

I think your ballasting is very realistic. Well done!

Perhaps in one or two places you're maybe too tidy. On your picture below at "A" I'd merge the ash and ballast more. At "B", though I have seen it on the prototype like you've depicted it, I'd be more inclined to bring the ballast to a point more. At "C", again, merge the ballast and ash.

Regards,

Peter

post-6880-0-94405100-1376945769.jpg

• Like 1

Peter - good man. This is just the kind of feedback I really like.

Merging rock and ash ballast is a bit tricky but I'll give it some thought!

Jeff

Jeff the Air Brush will help to do just that if you don't want to do it again.

Bodgit

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff the Air Brush will help to do just that if you don't want to do it again.

Bodgit

Thanks Andy. It doesn't involve too much hassle. I thought re-doing the sidings would be really difficult, but it's proved to be surprisingly easy - if a little slow!

I've just "ashed" the third siding and it can be painted tomorrow. Started to strip siding 4 - bit awkward to get at, but it'll be worth it.

I like the contrast of texture and colour that the ash offers. Hopefully enhanced with suitable "crap" as things develop!

Jeff

• Like 1

Far too much ash and siding talk around here.

Here is some poorly ballasted main line for you to ponder, as Leeds Jubilee 45562 'Alberta' climbs into some ill begotten part of north England or somewhere towards Carlisle...  clearly the track gangers are not up to scratch in this part of the world.

What a nice surprise to get a whole train of red-cream Staniers!

post-7929-0-63603000-1376977557.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Far too much ash and siding talk around here.

Here is some poorly ballasted main line for you to ponder, as Leeds Jubilee 45562 'Alberta' climbs into some ill begotten part of north England or somewhere towards Carlisle...  clearly the track gangers are not up to scratch in this part of the world.

What a nice surprise to get a whole train of red-cream Staniers!

attachicon.gifBR_Jubilee_45562_S_and_C_Leeds_Carlisle_1958_1abc_r800_crop1.jpg

Ooh, I REALLY like that. I wish I could give it more than one thumbs up, that's excellent.

Al

• RMweb Premium

I think that's one of your best pictures, Rob. A hint of fells in the background and Alberta looks suitably weathered!

Seeing that photo reminds me that I have to get the Indices up to date - I'm over a month behind!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Update: sidings 3 and 4 ballasted with "ash" and drying nicely. I'll leave the sand until 8pm, so it's thoroughly stuck on, then rub it down and paint it.

Photos later.

And, for Peter - I've tried to merge the stone/ash bits a little. What it'll look like once painted - I'll let you be the judge!

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Ballasting looking good so far, with regard to Peters post I like the finish at point C as it blends in really well. Looking forward to seeing the final results.

When you have your day out at the NYMR if it is on the Sunday we could meet up as that is one of my 'days off' and it's a plaace I visit fairly regularly anyway.

Jim 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

Ballasting looking good so far, with regard to Peters post I like the finish at point C as it blends in really well. Looking forward to seeing the final results.

When you have your day out at the NYMR if it is on the Sunday we could meet up as that is one of my 'days off' and it's a plaace I visit fairly regularly anyway.

Jim 

Hi Jim,

The person I travel with to the NYMR normally goes up there on a Saturday - in this case, the 14th. However, I'll have a word and see if we can pop up on the Sunday. It'd be nice to meet up! Of course, you'd have to have some form of identification - a rose in your lapel. I'll be the one in the green mankini......!!!!  :O

Time to get my ....... coat!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

Jim 

Update: Paint is drying around sidings 3 and 4. I'll give it an hour and take a batch of photos to stick on here - say, 11pm.

Jeff

ps. Yes, I can watch the paint dry, but not the grass growing!!

I'll be the one in the green mankini......!!!!   :O

'Gulp!!' - er, I'll be the one hiding behind the um, the err, well anything really making sure you aren't before I put in an appearance :mosking:

Just in case you you are wondering what I look like I can just be seen in profile on the Pickering exhibition thread in the first picture of post 36 talking to Michael, i'm far left hiding behind a wire. 

I seem to do a lot of hiding :)

Jim

Methinks a dash or two of artistic weathering around transition from ballast to ash will set this off very well indeed, all based on that perfectly simple test, 'it looks right' ...

As to my pic of  Leeds engine 45562 Alberta, thanks for the compliments, I put it up in the Hornby/Large Green Powerful  thread as I usually do and Ian Hargrave who is very kind and supportive said he had seen it regularly c1960 on the Bristol-Newcastle 'Devonian' with chocolate/cream carriages and looking somewhat cleaner.    Can't win!     Do the track the way YOU want, Jeff.