Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hee hee. I've just looked at the thread for the first time since this afternoon. You scheming so-and-sos!! Bill - I've ordered the EIGHT inch thick steel - got to be that thick so Andy's special 6" nails won't go through it! :jester:

Seriously, you really cheer me up so much. We did discuss the idea of getting together and I think it's a great idea - though it would have to be summertime at the earliest. We can worry about the logistics later. So Andy G - nice pic - you look how I expected you to look! And no, I'm not buying a Compound. Andy P - if you do want to pop up, bring a layout for sure.

I know this is "nowt to do with Kirkby Luneside, lads" ... but it's an indicator of the quality of RMweb that such friendships are apparent - at distance - through a website. Hell, Rob will be flying in from NZ next. Cheers - I feel much better.

Now then, how much SERIOUS modelling did you discuss today? None! Other viewers will doubtless be totally bemused by the goings-on here. I think Andy York should take a look at this thread!! Lol.

Right Andy - I've not had COFFEE for about ten hours - no wonder I got a headache. Time for a brew.

Thanks to you all for being such a great "gang".

Jeff

• Like 2

Now then, how much SERIOUS modelling did you discuss today? None! Other viewers will doubtless be totally bemused by the goings-on here. I think Andy York should take a look at this thread!! Lol.

Plenty, just not on here, this is the Kirkby Lunaticside thread afterall! Jason's gone all Southern with his black country carriage house, Larry's been narrowing his crossovers, and I've been told the club layout I'm finishing the baseboards for can't get in the club for another 2 months...

Hope you manage to shake off your bug soon. I've been afflicted with cantbearseditis for the past week, I hope I haven't infected you ;) Just so long as you don't come down with trachyuppyitis again in your weakened state...

Just a thought for your new door jeff, you did remember to order it with bolts on the inside? :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Glad to hear someone has done something! I still feel crap physically, but mentally I'm recharged. A few reasons for this:

1) I brought the control panel into the house yesterday and I'm going to get it up-to-date tomorrow,

2) I've been inspired by Andy's mate, George, on Andy's Trebudoc and George's own Abbot's Mead. Have a look, Michael. George's work is just what I need - ply base for structures. I will probably not use DAS - Slaters for me - but the underlying base is right down my street. Inspiring indeed!!

3) Just glanced at Larry's efforts. I think he's getting there and I'm pleased for him.

4) I can't suffer from "Cantbearsed...." cos you lot won't let me!

5) The response of the gang has got me going again.

So - tomorrow ... Control panel / order the remaining turnouts + track for the FY / order some 2mm and 3mm ply board so I can start on the tunnel mouth....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Fair enough Adrian. It never does any harm to ask a question - the recipient of the question can always choose not to answer!

You really made me think about what I'd done. I'm sure the key thing for me was not having too many soldered wires hanging around below the boards. There are enough wires as it is. Have you set up a layout thread? It'd be interesting to see what you end up doing. Good luck with your project.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I'm sorry to hear about your health problems, I was attacked by the lurgi last month which took a few days to shake off. Concentrate on getting better, the wiring can wait.

I did start a layout thread, but so far it only has one post on it. I've got a bit more time now, so hopefully I can get a bit more work done, and some more text and pictures (at which point I'll add a link to my sig block).

I (so far anyway) have managed to get all my soldering done on the bench. Measuring up how long bits of wire need to be, then cutting them to length and tinning the ends. Droppers can be done before the track is fastened down, and then connections made either to choc blocks or molex connectors, or in the case of the Cobalts directly to the motor (an attraction of them over Tortoises). The control is done using JMRI and the MERG CBUS hardware.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

I'm sorry to hear about your health problems, I was attacked by the lurgi last month which took a few days to shake off. Concentrate on getting better, the wiring can wait.

I did start a layout thread, but so far it only has one post on it. I've got a bit more time now, so hopefully I can get a bit more work done, and some more text and pictures (at which point I'll add a link to my sig block).

I (so far anyway) have managed to get all my soldering done on the bench. Measuring up how long bits of wire need to be, then cutting them to length and tinning the ends. Droppers can be done before the track is fastened down, and then connections made either to choc blocks or molex connectors, or in the case of the Cobalts directly to the motor (an attraction of them over Tortoises). The control is done using JMRI and the MERG CBUS hardware.

Adrian

When you get the thread powering along I'll follow it with interest. It's always good to get a different perspective on how people control their layouts. I've gone for something fairly basic, though I can always enhance this at a later stage. A lot of people are "electrophobes" and let the fear of wiring rule them, rather than the other way round.

As for the blasted viral infection. It'll burn itself out soon enough - hopefully! Thanks for your message!

Cheers,

Jeff

Bar the door? :nono: I will go UNDERGROUD, :scratchhead: with motorised Corgi models in 3mm, Circle line stock of corse, ho ho ho :O

Guess who?

Oh please no! Not the motorised Corgi's! Hasn't the Queen got some of them?

As far as modelling goes Jeff, we've all been sitting here twiddling our thumbs waiting for you to waken up. Good to see the first stage recovery is underway but please, take it easy for a bit yet.

Well, I did build a mock-up of the goods shed today. It's quite nice really. I printed the drawings out and stuck them onto mounting card. To be honest it's probably better than the one I'll eventually build so I might just paint it too!

Regards

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff.

Sorry you've had the bug. Horrible things. Nuff said. Hope you feel better tomorrow.

Apparently the encounter I had a week and a half ago with the swivel chair has injured the shoulder as well as the upper arm but no bones broken.

Better news is the 9F which arrived lunch time. Hope the pic cheers you up. Steve has done a fantastic job on renumbering etc.. May replace the shed plate to 81C, though, in due course.

post-14049-0-40096400-1355267924.jpg

Wishing you well.

Polly

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Bill and Polly. The 9F does look a treat. Was it one of your own models you sent to Grimey Times to be customised?

I've just ordered several sheets of 2mm and 3mm ply from SLEC (www.slec.com) - recommended by another RMwebber the other day. Should be the start of some interesting modelling!

Jeff

Morning Jeff

I don't know, I have a few days RMweb free and one of my favourite threads and its OP take to the sick bed, just been catching up on the last few posts pages and expected the tunnel mouth (saturday you said), Oh well it will soon appear now. As for the virus I hope you feel much better today after a good rest, luckily those things are very rare for me, Nov 2007 was the last one as I have an over efficient immunity system. Gives me a few other problems instead.

Looking back through the posts I always loved those Beyer Garret engines despite being a western man, I think it was just the engineering aspect of it that fascinated me.

Right back to the carriage shed for me and maybe post some of those pictures I keep taking.

Keep warm, maintain the caffeine intake and get well soon.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jim and thanks for your well-wishes! They are appreciated.

Feeling a bit better today, so will stay indoors and complete the control panel. As soon as the ply sheet I've ordered has arrived I'll start the tunnel mouth - hopefully in the next day or so. It'll make a nice change.

Have fun with Hemyock. And yes, I'll follow your advice - off for my second cup of coffee of the morning. Cheers!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Get better soon Jeff, plenty to <non alcoholic> drink and paracetamol should do the trick

Bu**er that Jeff, get all the whisky inside you that you can, I say. At least you'll forget what you've got. Must get on with this Black 5 if it is to be ready for your open day.

(I should have posted this yesterday but gremlings either struck my 'pooter or the site, probably my 'pooter, cheap civil service stuff.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Bu**er that Jeff, get all the whisky inside you that you can, I say. At least you'll forget what you've got. Must get on with this Black 5 if it is to be ready for your open day.

(I should have posted this yesterday but gremlings either struck my 'pooter or the site, probably my 'pooter, cheap civil service stuff.)

Well, you have until July or August - so if you start the Black 5 now you should get it finished. Lol.

Whiskey - good idea, except all I have (alcohol-wise) is wine. Anyway, I'm a coffee addict if you hadn't guessed!

Thanks for the message Jonathan. Aye, those civil service computers aren't what they should be. You need to upgrade your computer's 5kB hard-drive!

I'll post a pic or two of the completed panel later - just for something to do. And, as you'll have noticed, there are then one or two non-wiring things I can start.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Well, you have until July or August - so if you start the Black 5 now you should get it finished. Lol.

Whiskey - good idea, except all I have (alcohol-wise) is wine. Anyway, I'm a coffee addict if you hadn't guessed!

Thanks for the message Jonathan. Aye, those civil service computers aren't what they should be. You need to upgrade your computer's 5kB hard-drive!

I'll post a pic or two of the completed panel later - just for something to do. And, as you'll have noticed, there are then one or two non-wiring things I can start.

Jeff

We only went on to Vista!!!!! last year, aaahhhhhh!!! Anyway glad to hear you are on the mend. I've started that Black 5 but been held up with the valve gear, more like watch making than modelling and I have had to get a new pair of specs that enable me to work up close. Just about sorted now so it will be ready July, I hope.

• RMweb Premium

Here you are Jonathan - just to show that I have been doing something...

I've shown this kind of thing previously (mid-November), but this is the completed panel with 39 switches. Before I'm reminded again, several of these switches are connected up as pairs to allow simultaneous crossover changes. However, every turnout has its own switch, so if I ever feel the need, I can operate each one separately.

This is the "Mark 1" version, which will do for now. Once the layout is up and running I'll possibly build something a bit more refined....

post-13778-0-94027600-1355323572_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-15000500-1355323691_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 6

2) I've been inspired by Andy's mate, George, on Andy's Trebudoc and George's own Abbot's Mead. Have a look, Michael. George's work is just what I need - ply base for structures. I will probably not use DAS - Slaters for me - but the underlying base is right down my street. Inspiring indeed!!

Thanks for the steer to that one Jeff, it looks like one to follow. I've been reading the Trebudoc thread too. I think my cantbearseditis is caused by tiredness more than a lack of mojo - I sit at work all day wanting to get on, then I get home and can't be bothered to do anything... Oh well.

Good to see the control panel progressing. I seem to fall into the category of "How complicated can I make this?" rather than the sensible, "How simple can I make it to get things going?"....

• RMweb Premium

I know what you mean about work. Frankly, I sometimes wonder how I ever got anything done as I'd come home knackered. But modelling was one therapy to beat my potential apathy!

As for the panel - well, it switches the blades, which is all I want it to do. It can be too easy to start from the top and build down. Problem is, if it doesn't work you can spend a lot of time going nowhere. Incremental complexity for me, building on a solid base. Haven't tested the 15 new switches yet - can't face going outside!

Hopefully my ply will arrive in the next 2 days and I can start the tunnel mouth - working in a nice, warm kitchen!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

It's a funny one that, Gordon. I feel I'm only progressing so fast because you guys keep urging me on ... so I progress faster ... and you urge me on... Oh dear, positive feedback. Invariably leads to disaster!!

My "progress" is really an illusion. Just remember that! Maybe when I get going with the tunnels I'll feel I'm going somewhere.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Not been on here for while. Can't believe there have been over 2000 posts to date!

You are making fair progress indeed, last time I was round you were just about to start laying track.

Are you sure you want to start making the tunnel mouth? I know what you're like, once you get it in place you won't be able to resist starting on the hillside around it.

Hope you're up and firing on all cylinders again soon.

Al

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Not been on here for while. Can't believe there have been over 2000 posts to date!

You are making fair progress indeed, last time I was round you were just about to start laying track.

Are you sure you want to start making the tunnel mouth? I know what you're like, once you get it in place you won't be able to resist starting on the hillside around it.

Hope you're up and firing on all cylinders again soon.

Al

Yes Al, the number of posts on here is incredible. Just done a quick survey. Only 2 of the layout threads I can see (Peterborough N and St.Blazey) have more posts! This bloomin' thread is going to acquire notoriety!!

I've just ordered the last batch of track - for the branch area in the fiddle yard. Wiring still needs finishing - but the cold, and my head, have put a temporary stop to that. I'll get the track bus wire at the beginning of January and get a section of track up-and-running. Pop round anytime - open invitation, of course - but come and have a play!!

Yes, last time you were round I'd just started the track. That was about 8 weeks ago... I don't know whether that's slow or reasonable progress? :O

Anyway, don't stand on ceremony. You know where I am.....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

I know little about wiring, even less about DCC, but I'd thought it'd be easier to operate crossovers by a single switch rather than a pair.

Regards,

Peter

Evening Peter.

When I started the control panel I didn't think it through and fitted individual switches for every turnout. By the time I realised that some of the crossovers would be better off controlled by one switch, the board was well underway, so I decided to leave all the switches in place. But not all of them are actually used.....

To use your (correct) examples: Switch 1 (extreme left) is connected to both turnouts 1 and 2. Switch 2 is just "there". flickiing switch 1 upwards moves the turnouts into crossover configuration, flick it down and we have the 2 main lines. Similarly for switches 3 and 4 (blue on your diagram)... only one controls both turnouts, as you suggested. It TURNS OUT (sorry, that's terrible) that of the first 24 turnouts, about 16 of them can be operated as 8 pairs.

So you were quite correct in your assertion, sir. (This discussion happened previously - see posts 1441 onwards - just checked).

Jeff

Edit: Nearly all of the turnouts in the fiddle yard area operate independently and so have their own switch. There are 2 crossovers (I'll draw a plan when I've laid the track) so 2 switches will operate 4 turnouts there.

Edited by Physicsman