Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I doubt the spoil heaps will just be for effect - You'll surely have enough plaster from the changes to make them real!

I don't think I will. We didn't get much snow over the weekend, but I think it'll be snowing - plaster - for days by the time Thor's hammer has had its effect!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

So I take it you don;t need to know it was still 31C here at 8:30pm last night, and that the low of 26.2C wasn't reached until 6:00am (90 mins ago), and we're back on our way up to a forecast top of 40C?

I'll get my coaT - even though i won't need it!

Scott

Bl**dy hell. You antipodeans just love rubbing it in, don't you!!

It's warming up here by the weekend.... we might get 7C!

Anyway, I'm cosy in my bunker - even if I can see my breath condense when I go in first thing in the morning! Does it ever snow in Perth?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

just popping in before I get my head into the rule book.

I agree with Jason, the Hilllock isn't the correct shape, but I'm sure by this time tomorrow the Mk2 will be much improved. I'd also question the steepnees of the sides of the cutting, look again at the naughty photo, and compare the trees with the angle, I rekon if you dropped the top by about 3/4" and redo the angle it would look better.

BTW Why don't you make the corner piece drop down? You could make a sliding shelf bracket thing onto which the corner bit sits on, and then when you have dropped it down you could remove it and still pop up the corner. You would then be able to make nice overlaps on the top scenery and it would look good.

I also think that until you get something inplace it is difficult to visualise the end result, so it's not a mistake, just a trial run.

Andy

No, the only thing getting rubbed in around here in this heat is the sunblock!

We don;t get snow in Perth - but down in the very south of the state, in the worst of winters, the hills (I hesitate to call a 670m bump a mountain) get dusted with snow from Antarctic blasts once or twice a year - but it is gone by the next day...  heat is our enemy here. And Feb is usually the peak month.

The numbers sound bad, but so long as the humidity isn't high, it's a bearable heat - very direct, so in the shade it's a lot cooler. And I'm right on the coast, so the sea breeze does normally kick in mid afternoon to take the worst of it away by mealtime.

I think you're on the right track with the cutting.  There's a bit on an optical illusion going on as the front and back of the cutting are not easily defined in the "down the valley" view - it all looks like one landform. If you sat a coach there, the Lunesters might better see how the small hillock sits, and the backscene rises behind it.

You're making good progress - take your time, and also take time to take and look at photos as you go. You will see things in photos that your eye will miss in the flesh.

Cheers

Scott

Bl**dy hell. You antipodeans just love rubbing it in, don't you!!

It's warming up here by the weekend.... we might get 7C!

Anyway, I'm cosy in my bunker - even if I can see my breath condense when I go in first thing in the morning! Does it ever snow in Perth?

Jeff

Don't you believe this aussie propaganda, Jeff.

Some parts, entirely NZ that is, are civilised and around 20C day 12C night in summer, and just like Darlington in winter....

speaking of civilized  (I have no idea whether that word should have a 'z' or an 's'...  whichever Americans choose is wrong...)  railways, we know that Bulleid was born here and he built all the good things... the Leader, the oil-leaks,    hmmmm.   well, he was good at boilers, and had served the LNER., which is as good as Kirkby Luneside,  so hence this picture of a train a Wessex, which we all know is warmer than Darlington except in winter '63...  and just over from Guildford, centre of the known world.

so here for you frozen types .. summer 1959 somewhere in Wessex. Don't all start weeping at once.

post-7929-0-33154300-1360629272.jpg

Rob   (phew, nearly 19C now....)

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

I'd have to agree that the original as constructed plan was too high.  As I posted in Long Marton, it's easy enough to end up with mistakes in the rough shaping of the landforms, and then they tend to compound.  I still have to hack and slash something like 1/2" over the entire side of Trout Beck's approach from Long Marton, as the shape isn't anything like right.  The key for me was cutting out a ~33% Slope sidewall for Bridge 253, at which point the whole fill looks wrong, as it implied that the hill was about 6' too thick on the east side.  The real railway did things for a reason, and moving dirt by wheelbarrow cost money.  That's a huge amount more dirt to move, and it just wouldn't have happened.  I'm a bit suprised that your viaduct is as tall at the approaches as you made it- but, it is done now.  (IE, I think they would have used more of the dirt as fill, because if you have to move it, you might as well reduce the amount of viaduct required as long as it makes sense).

I may get to do a bit more tonght, not sure,

James

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jeff

The site seems a bit slow today. Regarding that corner piece, have to thought about moving away from your usual method of construction for something lighter the would be easier to remove?

Morning Jeff, I have just popped in for a quick look in here and the Lounge, but its a bit quiet, everybody must be in there workshops doing mock ups for you to show on here later.

Mount Lune :sungum:  better not :no:  GET OFF, GET OFF ME :O

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff

The site seems a bit slow today. Regarding that corner piece, have to thought about moving away from your usual method of construction for something lighter the would be easier to remove?

Hi Jonathan.

The main problem with the corner is the bulk - sizewise of the thing, and the stuff tht needs to connect around it. I really did think I'd have no problem just lifting it up, and it hasn't turned out like that.

It'll still be "movable" - I'm not going to fix it down - so at least there is still the option to put my bowler hat on, Andy-style, and push the damn thing upwards!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to Scott, Rob and James - people in far-off places from the UK!

What an amazing tool the internet is. The other day, Scott asked for a photo of KL and it was duly delivered - remote control from 10000 miles away!

I will plod on and see what I come up with. After all, it doesn't REALLY matter if I make a mistake - it's not going to hurt anyone. Sometimes we get a bit too "into" what we're doing. So, with that perspective, now the bunker is "warmed" up (a massive 12C, Rob!!), I'll set-to with the hammer! That'll warm me up!

Maybe get some pics later....

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As a longtime lunester lurker, I feel I can chuck in a few silly ideas. I'm another who has been thinking about the landforms, and drawing contours, and this is my interpretation. Whether it's helpful or not remains to be seen.

What I've done is to straighten out the layout, and the landscape, and gone a bit beyond the modelled area to try to justify things...

I haven't given any thought of whether the contours are at regular intervals, or what their separations are, (so far).

I started with a landscape, with a road between two villages, on the assumption that  a station wouldn't be built without some road access.

post-6902-0-93257100-1360667317.jpg

Then I added the railway, looking at how the land would be altered. The access road comes down steeply from the existing road, into the station yard (scribble).

post-6902-0-10061100-1360667332.jpg

The grassy knoll comes about fairly naturally.

This doesn't quite work for me yet, as there seems to be more excavated ground than built up in the area levelled for  the station. Also at the botton right the third contour up should swing away from the track to make sense of a tunnel.

Then of course the whole thing has  to be bent round so that the ends meet up in the fiddle yard.

Thanks

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Just to let you know.... I'm well underway with the alterations. I've made a few changes which I'll post later - if I get the chance.

I'm going to post this photo - again, not sure if it's copyrighted - it's from Visit cumbria, I think. If the copyright owner complains, I'll withdraw it. Arten Gill again...

post-13778-0-18446100-1360672799_thumb.jpg

Jeff

I'm sure Jeff has a good handle on where he's going - but my take on the alternate reality is this:

post-8688-0-89052600-1360672667.jpg

Remembering the way the beck flows into the scene under his viaduct, that means the valley would continue into the backscene - the grassy knoll possibly formed over the centuries by the presence of a smaller watercourse that flows back-to-front.

The logic may be that railway may have chosen to nip through via a cutting in the low spot behind the grassy knoll, to get the best combination of a level-ish place for the station and a place to cross the valley...

Of course I may well be talking through my hat.  We'll see what he says in a minute...

Scott

Edited by jukebox

• RMweb Premium

Scott,

You have it EXACTLY right. Your modification of Dave's contour diagram is about as close as you could get if you were able to interpret the way I picture the scene.

I'm about to upload a few pics showing what I've done in the last 2 hours. Doesn't seem a lot, but I haven't stopped! It took me over half an hour to "destroy"/unpick yesterday's effort.

More shortly.

Jeff

Btw: Thanks to both Dave and Scott for this.

• RMweb Premium

That is looking a lot better Jeff.

You're not the only one changing stuff; that brick building I started (and did a fair bit to) just didn't look right so is being replaced.

• RMweb Premium

Andy, I'm going to try and do the ends (front and rear like this - ignore the stone walling):

post-13778-0-03361000-1360679606.jpg

Slightly different angle, showing stone walling in green:

post-13778-0-66755900-1360679597.jpg

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

That DMU will look a bit out of place amongst the 9F's tho, Jeff...

Lol.

That DMU is disgusting!! A classic class 108 2-car or 3-car in green will be seen - not that horrid livery!!

Jeff

BTW, I've edited/changed the previous post...maybe I should have superimposed a 9F on the DMU!!

• Like 1