Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Agh, there you go young man,NEVER HAPPY, hahaha :O , It may be quiet on here BUT 5 pages in 4 days in the Lounge and if you had them all in here it would be MANIC . I hope you enjoy getting palstered. :nono:  My other mate Jeff is coming around again tonight for a running session :senile:  and a PLAY :senile:  with ideas for my Steam Depot :senile: :scared:

I guess we will have the Doncaster feedback tommorrow. I have been 3 times and wish I had gone. I used to drive up to George's and then he would drive over the hill from Manchester to Doncaster. So by the time I have driven back home it was a long day.

Cheers Andy :no: WHOOPS sorry it's a Lunester site.

Old Lune.. :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Evening Andy.

Yes, done a bit of plastering but feel I've wasted today due to other commitments.

I'm doing a bit of scheming at the moment (some might call it designing). If I get an early start tomorrow then I might get some of it done. So if you give me 'til Monday I should have some more pics. It's a fair bit of work, so I'd better not rush it!

You are right about the Lounge. Glad I created that - it's working well and doesn't really change things on here - maybe we are a bit more railway-related now! Hopefully there'll be a bit of Doncaster feedback later. Only 120 views on here today - we've been averaging over 400... (not that it really matters).

I think I'll have a wander over to T to see what you've been doing...

Jeff

Ahh! another wait and see project is it?

Ok I'll be patient and wait until monday, but like you say it is better not to rush it, on the occasions when I take a short cut I always end up chastising myself for it because the result then does  not match my expectations.

Look forward to seeing the progress you make Jeff.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Ok I'll be patient and wait until monday, but like you say it is better not to rush it, on the occasions when I take a short cut I always end up chastising myself for it because the result then does  not match my expectations.

Jim

Yes Jim, it's a wait and see. I've planned out what I have to do but it involves a lot of fiddly bits - time consuming. I hope it ends up as I visualise it. Certainly, it will have to be "tweaked" once unveiled, as the Lunesters get to look at it. That's fine - for tweaking - but I'm not changing what I've decided to build....

Hopefully tomorrow and Monday will be useful days. Did you go to Doncaster?

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, it's been the quietest day on this thread for a month. Nothing to do with the Lounge, as that's been quiet too!

I'll have to get you all psyched up for early next week when you all return from Doncaster, moving house, orbiting the Earth or whatever is keeping you busy!

Pleasantly warm in the bunker 20 mins ago - 8C - no heating - so got some more measuring-up done. Out with the power tools tomorrow....

Time to read a book now. Don't forget - if you have any decent Donny pics, post them in the Lounge.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well here I am expecting pages of stuff to fill my time till the T3 possessiong gets taken at 0110Hrs and you lot have b****red off and not said a word.

You lot are disappointing at times!

Not sure what I'm going to do now....

Andy g

• Like 1

Jim

Jeff, I am a bit worried about Jim being in the Lunie team, :O  HE LIKES CHASTISING HIMSELF, :nono: I hope he dosen't use a WET LETTICE like me :no:

WORRIED OF SWAD, Lunesville, Derbyshire. :sungum:

• Like 4

Doncaster was excellent.  Most importantly i managed to get back to the Boro without a hole in my credit card.  Easy enough if you just avoid the box shifters completely although I still managed a few quid on bit and bobs.

• RMweb Premium

Doncaster was excellent.  Most importantly i managed to get back to the Boro without a hole in my credit card.  Easy enough if you just avoid the box shifters completely although I still managed a few quid on bit and bobs.

Well here I am expecting pages of stuff to fill my time till the T3 possessiong gets taken at 0110Hrs and you lot have b****red off and not said a word.

You lot are disappointing at times!

Not sure what I'm going to do now....

Andy g

So - there IS life out there! I've always found it easy to avoid spending at exhibitions - I just remind myself that I've got other priorities and temptation can wait - 'til I get home.

It's the bits and bobs that are important on KL at the moment - stocked up with a few items today, but forgot to buy some new jigsaw blades. Bug*er!!!

Talking of which, have you fallen asleep yet Andy? Today has been pretty boring on here, so don't expect it to change now!

AndyP - wet lettuce. Help! What kind of people have I got myself involved with here!!?

Jeff

PS. So quiet on here I've just been out in the bunker for another 30 minutes. So who is the crazy one on here?

• RMweb Premium

No, I'm not doing that. However, that part of the project won't happen for a few months. I'm going to concentrate on the viaduct end, where I'm happy with the plans.

You'll see what I mean on Monday - all will be revealed.... in outline, anyway!

There was a 2 minute period in the bunker a short time ago when I looked at what I'd built since June, but at the same time thought of what was going to be built. VERY scary. I wish the bunker was sound-proof.... I'd have the power tools whirring away now, if that were the case.

Btw, I've put a "cautionary" post in the Lounge.... Lol.  :jester:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, 

Glad to hear you've settled on a plan, despite all our attempts to put you off ;)  I shall look forward to being wowed by your efforts on Monday...

Michael

Morning Michael.

I won't get much done by tomorrow evening, but you'll get a "flavour" of what's to come...

And then I'll do some more wiring. Al (Schubert) is coming round on Friday, and I promised him power in the yard. So I'll have to get on with it.

I'm just waiting until the hour is late enough to allow me to start cutting wood with a circular saw and not disturb the neighbours.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I am looking forward to you revealing all :O , if you know what I mean, :scared: hahhhaaaaeeeee

Scary Lune :sungum:

I knew that would provoke a comment - but I thought it'd be from the other Andy!!

As I've said before, don't expect too much! I should really keep my mouth shut until after the event - but I know that some of you like to imagine what the Crazed Lune is up to!

First problem I have this morning is cutting up an 8' x 4' sheet of 12mm ply. Time to enlist my brother's help.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Who says I'm going to be doing any cutting? Wink, wink?

I may be starting on the road to the Sistine Chapel with my Michaelangelo renditions on a backscene! Or maybe I'm just trying to drum up some interest amongst the Lunesters when, in fact, I'm actually doing nothing!

As for cutting - I'm running out of workspace to do anything like that in the bunker. I'll have to move out onto the driveway when it warms up a bit.

Jeff

What hearing protection do you use when cutting in the bunker, Jeff? (hint, hint)

Now lets not go to overboard on the health & safety, we dont want what we are doing to become notifiable to the HSE, they'll have us doing risk & method statements for the slightest thing.

Jason would have to have scaffold round most of his buildings whilst he constructs them. Trying to build scaffold in 4mm would be far to fiddly, even worse in 2mm  :no:

Sorry, I kind of set myself up with the "hint hint"...   when I didnt actually mean it that way.

I was being rather serious - and am very happy to be unfashionable on this topic!

Hearing loss is a bete noire of mine.  I went to one too many loud concerts in my yoof, and have been a tinitus sufferer since the age of 17.

Even in the soft shelled room of Stockrington, I wear proper foam earplugs whenever cutting with a jigsaw - and the same when using my circular saw outside. 

That 25-30dB of attenuation may just save your long term hearing.

earplugs-6820-240.jpg

The second best protection a chemist can sell you!

• Like 1

Sorry, I kind of set myself up with the "hint hint"...   when I didnt actually mean it that way.

I was being rather serious - and am very happy to be unfashionable on this topic!

Hearing loss is a bete noire of mine.  I went to one too many loud concerts in my yoof, and have been a tinitus sufferer since the age of 17.

Even in the soft shelled room of Stockrington, I wear proper foam earplugs whenever cutting with a jigsaw - and the same when using my circular saw outside. 

That 25-30dB of attenuation may just save your long term hearing.

The second best protection a chemist can sell you!

You are of quite right to take this subject seriously, I actually work on an RAF base with fast jets & don't go anywhere without some sort of ear protection, I also have a basket down in the shed which holds, ear plugs, dust masks, safety glasses, various types of gloves etc. enough for myself and any visitors, also nearby are a first aid kit & fire extinguisher.

We should all take H&S seriously but it is easy to knock due to a perception we can not do certain things any-more i.e. not allowed to play conkers any more, well we are aloud to

• Like 2

WOTS ELF'S GOT TO DO WIV SAFETY ANYWAY?

Looking for to seeing your Garden Extension on Monday Jeff, I guess you are cutting the timber for the new Viaduct over your Fish Pond, SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN TO ME.  hahhahaahehheeee :no:

Daft Old Lune. :sungum:

I am just going to make some Ground Signals for T. :senile: :senile: :senile:

Jeff, I am a bit worried about Jim being in the Lunie team, :O  HE LIKES CHASTISING HIMSELF, :nono: I hope he dosen't use a WET LETTICE like me :no:

WORRIED OF SWAD, Lunesville, Derbyshire. :sungum:

And there was me thinking that bit of lettuce leaf in my pocket had fallen out of my salad roll :mosking:

I better just go and beat myself with a stick of celery now for not leaving enough time for taking more photos yesterday. :O

Joining the discussion on hearing protection I too have worn it throughout my working life, if I hadn't I would probably be as deaf as a post by now. We used to have regular checks every 3 years and though I have good hearing for my age apparently, I do suffer a bit of Tinnitus from a bang on the head years ago and mishear some things if there is background noise. So if I should ever looked a bit blank or say something out of context you know why.

Fully chastised Lune of E Yorks

• RMweb Premium

Just come in for a coffee break. Rather than playing things along, I may as well show what I've been doing for the last 2 hours.

The first photo is from a couple of weeks ago, showing the view across the viaduct from the fiddle yard. This view isn't possible at the moment now the hillside has been built:

post-13778-0-66667800-1360507291_thumb.jpg

Clearly, something has to be done with the far corner....

The next photo shows some supports placed on the walls:

post-13778-0-21944600-1360507470_thumb.jpg

Then a piece of board was cut - this sits on the supports and is REMOVABLE for access: 

post-13778-0-79211400-1360507552_thumb.jpg

You'll see an arc marked onto the board. This is the path of the curved corner backscene piece. Some wooden blocks were cut and placed around the arc:

post-13778-0-67461400-1360507645_thumb.jpg

The backscene piece - 6mm hardboard - was fixed to the support blocks to curve it to fit neatly between the existing backscene boards:

post-13778-0-85870800-1360507779_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-54642000-1360507792_thumb.jpg

The top of the curved piece is at the same height as the top of the boards behind Lune Fell. An extra 10cm will need to be added on top of the straight boards.

More later - maybe!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

The frames & backboards are coming along nicely there, plenty of room for you to set the scene, have you been watching andyp's videos (tutorials) so that you can paint your own backgrounds

(Edit) I am talking about the scene above your built up scenics

Edited by billyb_imp