Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I do see, I just wonder whether you've gone a bit too steep and high so close to the viaduct.

I'm not deliberately chucking a spanner in the works here, but if you look back a few posts ago at the photo from the viaduct looking into the cutting, it does seem to rise very steeply and very close to the end of the viaduct. 

• RMweb Premium

I grabbed a couple of screenshots. In the top one, you have a lovely curved section going in along the trackbed (that you could even cut closer in) whereas on the second, that has all but gone and the ground rises instead.

Embankmentvanished_zpscbeef40a.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I grabbed a couple of screenshots. In the top one, you have a lovely curved section going in along the trackbed (that you could even cut closer in) whereas on the second, that has all but gone and the ground rises instead.

Embankmentvanished_zpscbeef40a.jpg

Yes, I agree with that and I don't like it either. I will see what I can do.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jason,

I am sticking with the general format of what I've done as it's based on a prototype.

BUT you are right - I should have left more space before rising into the cut. I agree with that and it'll get changed.

That's not being a bully. It's making me see something that needs sorting. I'd rather have one of you than a million sycophants. Don't worry!

Jeff

• Like 2

Andy

Have you noticed that Jeff's pulled a bit of fast one on us, a week ago we thought we had got him ready to run a loco on some of his straight sections in the fiddle yard. :locomotive:

Well he's gone off at a bit of a tangent or two, building up scenery covering it in plaster bandage & creating the Lunester Lounge area  :nono:

As made us all forget the loco run  :no:

Quite right Billy! Maybe Jeff took notice of me telling hime he'd get no work done once he started running trains, he's such a sensible chap really - especially for a top lunester.

Jeff,

Really beginning to see progress at a pace now, I've always been a bit daunted at creating the illusion of 'the railway in the landscape' look but with all the suggestions and changes readily accepted by you from others it really is working well. I am lucky in modelling a 'real' location me thinks!

Cheers

Mike

In my humble opinion the cutting and viaduct approach look fine with a telephoto perspective, so it depends somewhat on angle of view.

Just as with real curves radii and model curve radii.... you can get away with the look of anything, and if that fails, you edit the image with a mouse and a cup of tea.

See?  Simple.

A bit of grinding or cutting or re-shaping of cutting wouldn't go amiss, get out the shovel, it was all built by navvies anyway. But wholly optional in my opinion.

Dark summer morning in Paraparaumu, NZ., here rain threatening, 18C.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Evening Mike,

I think your theory about running trains happens to be true! I remember Jason saying the same thing a while back. I haven't deliberately not wired-up - I just got sidetracked!!

I've a visitor on Friday who is expecting some track to be "live", so I'll have to do SOMETHING!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

In my humble opinion the cutting and viaduct approach look fine with a telephoto perspective, so it depends somewhat on angle of view.

Just as with real curves radii and model curve radii.... you can get away with the look of anything, and if that fails, you edit the image with a mouse and a cup of tea.

See?  Simple.

A bit of grinding or cutting or re-shaping of cutting wouldn't go amiss, get out the shovel, it was all built by navvies anyway. But wholly optional in my opinion.

Dark summer morning in Paraparaumu, NZ., here rain threatening, 18C.

Rob

Thanks Rob. You had to go and ruin it by telling me the temperature - as its bl**dy freezing here!!

I think the descriptors "cutting" and "grinding" will summarise the first hours' work tomorrow. It's going to look like it's snowing in the bunker!! Funnily enough, the cutting looked ok to me, but as I added the plaster I kept thinking it was too steep, too soon. It takes an external viewpoint to hammer it home - and it's NOT a problem.

Good to hear from you. Lovely photo of the Patriot the other day! Cheers.

Jeff

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!!! Saw there were a load of replies to KL and decided to read while my food was in the oven. Now burnt!!!!!

Personaly, I think it's very difficult for us viewing photos of what is in progress while Jeff has the advantage of seeing many angles and accurate depth. With this in mind, I'm going to just watch the discussion and the progress.

Duncan - Upset Lune

ps I thought at least one loco would have been run in the FY before any more scenics

• RMweb Premium

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!!! Saw there were a load of replies to KL and decided to read while my food was in the oven. Now burnt!!!!!

Personaly, I think it's very difficult for us viewing photos of what is in progress while Jeff has the advantage of seeing many angles and accurate depth. With this in mind, I'm going to just watch the discussion and the progress.

Duncan - Upset Lune

ps I thought at least one loco would have been run in the FY before any more scenics

So did I!!!!!

Jeff

Andy

Have you noticed that Jeff's pulled a bit of fast one on us, a week ago we thought we had got him ready to run a loco on some of his straight sections in the fiddle yard. :locomotive:

Well he's gone off at a bit of a tangent or two, building up scenery covering it in plaster bandage & creating the Lunester Lounge area  :nono:

As made us all forget the loco run  :no:

You are absolutely right Billy, Not a mention of trains running for over a week now,

Jeff thinks we are daft and will forget about the sight of a 9F ratteling over his Bloo** Viaduct,

JEFF, forget the hills for a few days we want to see trains, trains and lots of B**** trains :O

THATS WHY WE BUY THEM :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile: .

Billy, I think we need to get a petition up and signed by ALL THE LUNESTERS to see Trains running by the weekend :stinker: hahahheheeeeeeheheeehehehehee :butcher:

I think Jeff has gone for a lay down and a sweet Milky coffee, nice :scared:

Grumpy Old Lune :sungum:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Jeff has indeed gone for a lay down!!!

Getting some locos running in the fiddle yard is a ten minute job. The logistics and organisation of this bl**dy scenery has/is/will taken/taking/take weeks.... but it's addictive fun.

I really dread the mess I'm going to make in the morning. But it's the thought of getting that section out of the corner that worries me! So - as Michael guessed - when it's been altered it's going back in the corner and it's staying there!!

Michael - you mentioned about the "iconic" photo angle if that section stays put (across the viaduct). I've a way round that, that is just a little bizarre! And I'll pop into the bunker shortly after 10 and take an along-the-valley pic for you.

And, you lot - if the corner section is fixed, how do I get access to the viaduct etc? Something's got to give. And it will!

Jeff

That cutting would have been like a faulty detail, once imagined you'd never see a train going past without wondering, "Does that hill look right?"

There will be a time when trains will go past, won't there...?

The directors of the Midland Rly. Co. would have issued a hurry-up.  Talking while working on the line prohibited for the navvies....

Thanks for the comment about the Patriot picture...  

Rob (just about to prepare breakfast, my partner Jan's daughter just had a baby son a few hours ago  all well...  in Sydney ... Jan is over there for a while, no breakfast-in-bed for me...) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The down the valley shot shows exactly what I meant Jeff, on the right hand side it looks too high next to the viaduct.

I don't like being right, it is a cross I have to bear :D

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'll take a repeat photo tomorrow after I've made a few adjustments. I'll create some space between the viaduct and the cutting and I'll keep the corner part of the cut at a lower level.

I'd have made the changes by now, but power tools whirring at 9pm wouldn't go down well - even though the neighbours are a fair distance away!!

Jeff

Hi again Jeff,

Thanks for getting the down the valley shot - not sure why, but I'd put my last post in when only Jason's first post was on this page, yet mine now appears halfway down, maybe it's a factor of doing it on my phone.

Anyway, I think the photo shows the concerns Jason (and I) had - if you compare the two sides, the hill is a lot closer to the viaduct on the right.  Yes, in the photo of Arten Gill the spoil does come close, but not quite as close as you had got it.  Glad to hear you are planning to cut it back a little.  And I agree with the not annoying the neighbours with late night power tools - it stops you being able to complain at their late night carousing!

The spoil heaps to the side of Arten Gill are interesting - they appear to be completely flat on top, steep sided, and at two levels, the lower one is at track height, the other near the height of the top of the cutting, and they are quite big (bing maps' aerial view suggests over 200 feet long) - I'm looking forward to seeing your representation of them!

I'm not convinced you have to loose the ability to remove the corner - it just needs a bit of careful thought and planning.  Andy's bowler hat idea has some merit - if the lift out part runs up the wall somehow (drawer runners?), and a way of minimising the resulting joints can be found, you could keep it as an emergency access...  How much would it need to lift by to give you the access you need?

• Like 1

Sorry Jeff, but I have just spent a few moments studying the REAL photo and your through the valley look, and I feel that in my most humble of opinions that Jason is right.

If I were doing it, which of corse I am not, I would have the nearest hill on the right of the Viaduct lower than the rear one, as though the hill on the right is going up and away from you. This would create a cutting with the sides of two different heights and the slope up from the valley would not look as high.

I know it will look different once it is green but it will still look very high on the right.

Cheers Old Lune. :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Michael.

I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to make the changes to the cutting - whatever I do is going to make a hell of a mess. I think I'll remove the corner section and unscrew the hardboard. Then attack the "hill" with a hammer, chisel and jigsaw. The nearer hillock is easier, as it's mounted on a movable board.

The problem with the corner stems from the weight of the structure, its size, its awkward position (you can only move it from underneath) and - most importantly - the fact that if it were fixed, all the peripherals around the viaduct and cutting become so much easier to fit. So I've come up with another scheme, based on the corner being fixed. I'm NOT going to fix the corner down - its weight will keep it there.

I'm also NOT going to reveal my new scheme as it would cause pages of outpourings on here and, to be honest, I don't want to discuss it - until I've tried it (and it's either succeeded or failed). The new idea won't be tested for a considerable length of time, so I'm just going to get on with all the other jobs.

So - in the morning (I'd love to go out at 6am, but that wouldn't be popular, as I wield the hammer!) I'll shift the cutting along a bit, lower the height in the corner and shift the other one. Then re-plaster and put a couple of mini-spoil heaps in. The latter just for effect, not as a replication!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Then re-plaster and put a couple of mini-spoil heaps in. The latter just for effect, not as a replication!

I doubt the spoil heaps will just be for effect - You'll surely have enough plaster from the changes to make them real!

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Jeff, but I have just spent a few moments studying the REAL photo and your through the valley look, and I feel that in my most humble of opinions that Jason is right.

If I were doing it, which of corse I am not, I would have the nearest hill on the right of the Viaduct lower than the rear one, as though the hill on the right is going up and away from you. This would create a cutting with the sides of two different heights and the slope up from the valley would not look as high.

I know it will look different once it is green but it will still look very high on the right.

Cheers Old Lune. :sungum:

Thanks Andy. 

The near hill is actually about 3-4cm lower than the far one, for the reason you suggested.... I've even done a crap sketch to show what I mean/you said...

post-13778-0-61649600-1360625432_thumb.jpg

Both of these hills will be a few cm lower tomorrow after the butchery!

It's ok - Jason was quite right, especially with the rapid incline of the cuttings so close to the viaduct.

Jeff

Thanks Rob. You had to go and ruin it by telling me the temperature - as its bl**dy freezing here!!

*snip*

Jeff

So I take it you don;t need to know it was still 31C here at 8:30pm last night, and that the low of 26.2C wasn't reached until 6:00am (90 mins ago), and we're back on our way up to a forecast top of 40C?

I'll get my coat - even though i won't need it!

Scott

Edited by jukebox