Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

And as a bonus Jeff, Stourton (the main ex-MR freight depot in Leeds) which also had many workings over the S&C:

Ivatt Cl.4 2-6-0 = 2

Ex-MR Cl.3F 0-6-0 = 1

Ex-MR Cl.4F 0-6-0 = 5

Ex-LMS Cl.4F 0-6-0 = 13

Stanier Cl.8F 2-8-0 = 14

PS I do hope you get a Metrovick Co-Bo, as they were all built at the Metropolitan-Vickers Bowesfield Works in Stockton.

Yes, Al pointed this out to me the other day. The Works was later replaced by a chemical plant and now a housing estate!!

I will certainly be getting a 28. With its links to Stockton, my home town (Barrow) and the west coast route, possible Condor via the S&C, it's a no-brainer.

Problem is the choice - there are over 10 variants on the Hatton's site!!

Thanks for the allocations. Mouthwatering!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

:lazy:  Well, Jeff, after a long 4-day weekender getting the young public (2 years old and up and keep going...up...) shunting a 4ft x 1ft railway (half the time in pigeon Welsh), I'm only fit now to look forward to seeing that 9F of yours trundling over your magnificent viaduct.  ["Creep"!  Who said, "Creep!"]   No hurry / pressure, though, as it may take a while to sleep it off get over it get my Luneyhilariosity back and appreciate all that hard work you've been putting into KL.    :jester:  

Dead-on-feet-are-killing-me lunester

Polly

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

You'll need x2 Co-Bos for their S&C workings.

I saw a photo - may have been on Wikipedia - of them double-heading. I'll have to remind myself of how to set-up a "consist" on my system..... TWO 28s!!! Exhorbitant luxury!  :O

Jeff

Ok,

I'm out of ideas, does anyone know how to upload video to this here forum, and what format does it need to be in?

cheers

Al

Hi Al, George explained it to me, but first you up load it on to You Tube, then you copy the bit from the top of the page, the bit that goes HTTP/WWW. THINGY and paste into the post, and when you post the post it comes up as a video with a You Tube connection.

I hopeI havn't confussed you mate :O .

Daft Old Lune :sungum:

Who is that ugly bas**rd in the corner?!! Blimey Al, you never told me it was a horror show!!

Jeff

You wouldn't think that you were my DAD now would you, hahhahahheheheeeeeee

See Treb and you will see WOT I MEEEEEN

Son of Lune :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive: 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

You wouldn't think that you were my DAD now would you, hahhahahheheheeeeeee

See Treb and you will see WOT I MEEEEEN

Son of Lune :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:

It's been SO QUIET without you around. Now look, SON - behave yourself!! It's past your bedtime and you'll get no pocket money if you are cheeky!!

Nice pic on Treb. Have to say, Al has taken worse (of me)!

Anyway - let's hope he gets that video uploaded.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

To put all this steam and diesel stuff into prespective when I was a little lad, we are talking well over 50 years ago so actual dates are a little hazy, I remember standing on Wood Green Station which is on the line out of Kings Cross. (Now called Alexandra Park?)

My mother was taking me to Baldock, or perhaps Royston. As we stood there she held me back as an express came thundering through. I can only imagine from the glimpse that I had of the loco that it was an A1 Peppercorn. Wow! Can you imagine my disappointment when our train came in being pulled by what I think was a Class 21 Diesel! Diesels Bah! ;)

Having said that I also remember sitting on the hill at Alkexandra Palace one warm evening in the mid-seventies(?) listening to the Deltics roar past at the bottom of the hill. Now that was good.

Now what I am saying is, (and it is each to his own), why would anyone buy a diesel when there are so many steam locos around. :no:

Edited by ChrisN

Chris

So many memories, although a bit more recent. I used to work near Alexandra Park and frequently had to go there as part of my job. :O

I also live just north of Baldock. Although we get a lot of diesels and electrics, we also get our fair share of steamers on various excursions, :sungum:

Duncan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Polly

As long as you have enjoyed yourself, that is the main thing.

You never know, you may have encouraged others into this hobby. Possibly even another Lunester.

Duncan

Really great 4 days and the boy&girls, mums&dad, nans&grandads did 99% of the shunting.  There were shy ones, get out of my way - I'm going first ones, can I have a go? ones, how much does it cost? ones, how does it work? ones :scratchhead:[er...ask him over there!],   can I have a look at that car? ones, what happens when...? ones, does it have a face? one...  You name it - they were there.

Some very young ones were already committed railway enthusiasts...well, there are so many railways in this corner of the world, it's hardly surprising.   And with so many different gauges on show this weekend including the Llanberis Lake Railway everyone was spoilt for choice.  As you say, some will undoubtedly continue in the hobby.

The one thing the accompanying adults were saying was that they were delighted that their youngsters were able to have a go themselves.  That's rewarding in itself.

A Lunester out there?  Plenty of candidates.....  Take your pick:   :crazy:  :tease:  :punish:  :friends:

Main characteristic - they were all fantastic.

Proud Lunester.

• Like 3

Polly

I think that there needs to be more layouts, simple ones, that the public can try and of course enjoy.

It's one of those areas that should be worked on more to change the preconcieved ideas about the hobby.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with layouts pushing the boundaries but as I've already said, we need to change how we, as a hobby are percieved by the greater public.

Just my views

Duncan - Serious for a change Lunester

• Like 2

Well done Polly!

Kids do love trains! A few weeks back I bought a circle of Peco setrack and a Bachmann controller to give me somewhere to run loco's in rather than along a short test track. Then my grandaughters discovered it. Since them it's been attached to a sheet of ply and is slowly accumulating a collection of Dapol building kits (not to mention my Jinty and a rake of old Mainline coaches!). It's the first thing they head for when they visit. Sad to report, I'm no longer allowed to play with 'their' railway!

Bill

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Back from the bunker and disappointed to find there's no video posted. Obviously Al ran into problems.

I've wired-up and polarity tested another 2 turnouts. I'm now only one curved turnout from the viaduct - the turnout on the left, just inside the tunnel portal on my last photo. It's very awkward working in that corner, but I'll have cracked it by mid-morning.

Jeff