Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Wow! Relative that want to do stuff for you.  Have you got any going spare?

;)

Chris,

Brother is a whizz at interior design and decorating. Any chance he gets.... He even likes wallpapering - and is very good at it.

I just stick to the basic building bits - wood and bricks.

Now I've ordered the skip there is no turning back!!

Polly,

You and Ray have such a common-sense view of things! You are correct - the money I haven't "spent" will just transfer into the loco pot!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Quite a productive afternoon in the bunker.

I now have 30 pairs of fiddle yard and 8 pairs of branch line droppers connected to the track bus, more than double what I had this morning. A bite to eat and I'll try and get another 15 - 20 pairs in this evening. 

I'm still under the fiddle yard....at least I know that everything there SEEMS to work. Famous last words!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Good progress Jeff.  Once you get into a rhythm you do start knocking down the numbers quite quickly. 

Am I the only one that starts worrying when everything seems to be going so well? ;)

Rhetorical question Michael?

I'll answer it anyway.... I don't tend to worry - if it goes wrong I'll try to sort it out. So far I've been pleased to find that the problems I've come up against have been outside of my control, and not of my making. I don't anticipate any further problems until I wire up the slips. They should be ok, but they are the single most likely NEW electrical problem.

I've got 3 more curved points to negotiate - there's a chance that the turnout throats will be a tad narrow, but I now know how to deal with that.

I'm staying positive. You'll know when I hit a snag!!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Update: All droppers from track and Cobalts to bus in Fiddle Yard completed. Moving round towards the goods area from tomorrow...

Index updated upto the present point.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

I assume you will just sell the layout and not the rolling stock?

And what about all the buildings that George built? It'll be sad to see them go. Having said that, at the rate you work you'll be able to build a replacement in a couple of weeks!!

I've just wired up a few more droppers. Need a break as being cramped under the boards with a soldering iron for over an hour isn't a good idea. Good job I'm a small chap!

Jeff

Good Evening Jeff, I see you are doing well with the wiring and hopefully you will soon have trains traversing the full layout.

As for Trebudoc, well it will be some time before it goes anywhere, I have it booked for one more show this year and then one provisional in March 2014

I have a busy weekend starting with me doing the Photo Shoot on Trebudoc tomorrow,  plus a busy Saturday and load Glen Roy up ready for Sundays Show.

Old Lune :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

And the great thing Rob is that, like you, I have one of these weathered limited edition B17s (61662 Man U)....

So whether it was a dream or not, THAT particular B17 will be running over MY S&C!!

Jeff

Btw - superb image!

Thankyou, it's a far cry from this below, my 'layout'....  observe the hand-crafted bullhead rail... 

post-7929-0-85152200-1361496602.jpg

By the way my brother has bought a cheap second-hand camera which does 3D.  Quite scary when you look at photos of yourself with appropriate viewer. I expect to see 3D video of Kirkby Luneside before summer, with a 'Jubilee' toiling upgrade with 9 carriages behind!    Come to think of it, Jubilees had a bit in common with B17s.... except they steamed and rode better.

Better have another cup of tea.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Thankyou, it's a far cry from this below, my 'layout'....  observe the hand-crafted bullhead rail... 

attachicon.gifImg_0953ab.jpg

Come to think of it, Jubilees had a bit in common with B17s.... except they steamed and rode better.

Better have another cup of tea.

Rob

That is once they had got the superheater sorted, the original low superheat boilers couldn't heat bathwater according to one driver.

• RMweb Premium

A late "good morning" to all.

I dreamt of wires last night - seriously. Lots of wires. And I've soldered a few more this morning. Oh well, the sacrifices we modellers have to make in the pursuit of a working railway!

Apologies for the lack of exciting photos - once you've seen one wire, you've seen them all.

Hope Al will get that video posted today.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Love the '2 wire' post (4443).

No doubt it'll be a relief to get all that wiring out of the way, plus the point fettling and be able to run a few things around a few times. At least once that is out of the way you can concentrate on the scenery and all that lovely scratch-building, I'm sure that will keep you just as occupied as this wiring is, makes my DC wiring look simple.

As they used to say when I lived down in Norfolk, "Dew you keep a troshin bor".

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

Love the '2 wire' post (4443).

No doubt it'll be a relief to get all that wiring out of the way, plus the point fettling and be able to run a few things around a few times. At least once that is out of the way you can concentrate on the scenery and all that lovely scratch-building, I'm sure that will keep you just as occupied as this wiring is, makes my DC wiring look simple.

As they used to say when I lived down in Norfolk, "Dew you keep a troshin bor".

Jim

Thanks Jim.

It WAS meant as a joke, but it hardly drew a murmur from anyone who looked at it. Maybe it just wasn't funny!!

I'm actually enjoying the wiring now I've got going. I've just run a class 25 into the outskirts of the station - only 23 turnouts to bus-wire (and 40+ droppers). Having a break now... (I said break, not breakdown!)

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I called a halt to soldering about an hour ago. It's quite exciting, though, to run a class 25 approximately 70% of the way around the bunker.

Heavens, at this rate I'd have a complete circuit by the end of the weekend. Just possible, I think, if I simply concentrate on anything linked to the mainline.

I can almost hear the locos in the cabinets screaming "yippee - time for walkies!!"

I won't count my chickens as there's at least one curved turnout and slip that could scupper it all.... but then it's fun to solve the problem, isn't it?

Skip arriving for clearout of old layout room on Monday - so not much will get done next week (we will see!!!!!!)

Jeff

• Like 1

I called a halt to soldering about an hour ago. It's quite exciting, though, to run a class 25 approximately 70% of the way around the bunker.

Heavens, at this rate I'd have a complete circuit by the end of the weekend. Just possible, I think, if I simply concentrate on anything linked to the mainline.

I can almost hear the locos in the cabinets screaming "yippee - time for walkies!!"

I won't count my chickens as there's at least one curved turnout and slip that could scupper it all.... but then it's fun to solve the problem, isn't it?

Skip arriving for clearout of old layout room on Monday - so not much will get done next week (we will see!!!!!!)

Jeff

Jeff

70% done. That's pretty good going. :sungum:

Finish the droppers this weekend, fill the skip by the end of Tuesday and have a mass running session on Wednesday :jester:

It is possible, but as you say, anything can scupper a plan.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Duncan. I was wondering where all the "usuals" have gone over the last couple of days.

Then I checked the posting lists - looks like it's just quiet, or everyone's emigrated!

I'm still hoping to see Al's vid of the 9F appear on here. He gave me the YouTube address - when I checked it said the vid was unavailable. So we'll see what happens.

Off for coffee at my brothers...

Jeff

MORE COFFEE? :nono:  no time for COFFEE :paint: Get them there wires conected boy and lets all have a fun run, :mail: :mail:

Don't fill the skip :no: send your old layout my way, :protest:  I will re build it next week and exhibit it the week after, hahaaaaa :paint:

I don't mind more wire dropper pics, :nono:  It makes me realise how lucky I am doing Micro Layouts :locomotive:

Andy Old Lune :sungum:

P.S. cant wait for the vid, I still have to edit my one from the show last week :scared: and upload it

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy.

I'm hoping to save a few bits off the old layout. Some of the small rock stuff is easy, but I'd like to keep a few of the rock faces if possible. Problem is, last time I tried, I couldn't free any without a pneumatic drill! I'm just hoping I don't pull the walls off when I rip the thing apart!

Yes, I'm looking forward to the vid too.... As for the wires - well, it's quite a job but my over-caution seems to be paying off as it's all running beautifully - SO FAR!!  :sungum: Fingers crossed...

I'll get you some dropper photos tomorrow - they'll look like the other ones I've posted! As I said to Jim (Aberdare) earlier, the wiring looks really neat - but when you photograph it the light reflects off all the masking-tape tabs and it looks a mess!

I've done a good clean-up job in the bunker. But I need somewhere to work, so the locos and control gear will be banished shortly to keep the dust off them.

Good to hear from you - you sound like you're back to your usual self!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Incredible! Not a single post on here today - that must be a record.

Since Andy has asked for some more dropper photos I'll post a couple taken earlier today. With 4 more turnouts fully connected/tested the class 25 ran into the station area. There are now only 3 turnouts on its route to stop a complete circuit.

Everything is labelled and well-organised. The photos appear chaotic!

post-13778-0-33572800-1361640727_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-42773600-1361640736_thumb.jpg

Jeff

THANKS JEFF, THATS CONVINCED ME :O :o :O :o :O

Buy a big house, :beee:

Have a BIG Railway room :beee:

Build 10 MICRO LAYOUTS with just 2 wires on each. :no: :no: :no: :no: heheeeeee

Bodgit, :sungum:

P.S. as for no posts on here today,

well you know why,

pepole saw my previous post asking for wiring pics :O  hahaheheeee

I have to say you are so well orginised, the colour coding and labeling all help. well done mate keep the pics coming, it's all so very neat.

How about some pics of the skip,

I need to know where it is going so I can rescue your last masterpiece, bang on a bit of PVA and I will have a new Layout :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

Bodgit Again :sungum: :sungum:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Andy - at least YOU are around!

I'm quite proud of the wiring. And not far now and there'll be at least one main line with a loco going round and round!

Skip arrives Monday morning. It's a shame to dispose of all that work, but it wasn't getting used and had SO many faults (not prototypical, crap track, poor layout design, no fiddle yard, gradients that were too much for steam locos, inaccessible places in the layout....). apart from that it was good - a good learning place - though I have to say I've learned a lot more from the Lunesters than I ever did by myself. Actually, I have Al to thank for a lot of what was good about "Valley Junction" (the old layout).

Anyway, I'll have a completely empty 11' x 10' bedroom by this time next week. Then my brother can start to work his decorating magic!

Jeff

P.S. as for no posts on here today,

well you know why,

pepole saw my previous post asking for wiring pics :O  hahaheheeee

Yawn! not more wiring :jester:

Jeff

It is easy to see that the wiring has been done very methodically because of all the tags and you can be proud of it, so not really a mess, but to anyone thinking there's only two wires to this hobby it would be shock.

Good to know you are nearly at the full circuit point in your task, A golden spike moment is imminent.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Yawn! not more wiring :jester:

Jeff

It is easy to see that the wiring has been done very methodically because of all the tags and you can be proud of it, so not really a mess, but to anyone thinking there's only two wires to this hobby it would be shock.

Good to know you are nearly at the full circuit point in your task, A golden spike moment is imminent.

Jim

I'm working methodically in an anticlockwise direction. However, I think that tomorrow I'll start by wiring up what's needed to complete a circuit. Then sit back with a cup of coffee and admire some loco running.

That's probably tempted the fates - 3 turnouts - which one is going to cause problems!!?? Lol.

Jeff