Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Your mum is probably close to the truth! It's significant that there is a HUGE offshore wind farm, not 2 miles from the coast at Barrow.

My dad lives in one of the highest places in the town. It's usually breezy and often extremely so. The last x times I've been over, it's poured down and blown a gale. Going over on Monday for 4-5 days, so I'll be wearing my factor 50 to prevent wind tan!

I love the place, though. Just like you have your empathy with Cumbria, Jason.

Jeff

It's a shame you will be away next week as G may be  finished by then, (only joking) hhahaee

Have a good break, I noticed that you have almost offered me a challenge on Glenfinick :O ,

I may be up for it, :no: 

not sure :no: :no:

NO cant do it :no: :no: :no:

BUT I can Bodgit :stinker: :stinker: :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

Which challenge was that, Andy?

Putting in a loch frontage (Jason's idea) or finishing it by the end of next week?

And despite your nickname, you NEVER "bodge it"....

Jeff

It's a shame you will be away next week as G may be  finished by then, (only joking) hhahaee

Have a good break, I noticed that you have almost offered me a challenge on Glenfinick :O ,

Yes you can. Go on, prove us right

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Here's the fascia at the front of Lune Fell. It covers part of the frontage and tidies things up a bit.

Not exciting, but necessary. Going out to put some more plaster on the mod-roc now.

post-13778-0-07652400-1363368127_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-46792100-1363368138_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-13221500-1363368147_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-64609300-1363368155_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Just for completeness - as I've run out of plaster and I'm giving it a break for a while - here's the same area as the last pic, one hour later.

A bit of woodwork and some loco running tomorrow...

post-13778-0-35977200-1363371460_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 5

Looking good Jeff.

I think you'd need a break from all the white to run a few locos. :sungum:

Out of interest, what colour are you going to paint the facing boards. :paint:  (I can feel another debate coming on) :O  :jester:

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

I would be tempted to just varnish them, and then put a shelf on it to contain the block instruments, lever frame, train docket info cards and mug rest.

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Jeff.

I think you'd need a break from all the white to run a few locos. :sungum:

Out of interest, what colour are you going to paint the facing boards. :paint:  (I can feel another debate coming on) :O  :jester:

Duncan

Sorry Duncan, but that's a detail way ahead! At the moment I'm just glad the board is there to tidy things up - it might get further consideration in a few months or so!

I've just been running a couple of diesels for about an hour. Very enjoyable and the most satisfying thing was when I stepped out of the insulated bunker into the outer part of the garage. 4C in the outer bit, 15C in the bunker with just one set of lights on. Fantastic!

Jeff

Sorry Duncan, but that's a detail way ahead! At the moment I'm just glad the board is there to tidy things up - it might get further consideration in a few months or so!

I've just been running a couple of diesels for about an hour. Very enjoyable and the most satisfying thing was when I stepped out of the insulated bunker into the outer part of the garage. 4C in the outer bit, 15C in the bunker with just one set of lights on. Fantastic!

Jeff

Jeff

I think I've just found another subject to add to the growing list of items to debate on the way to 15000 posts on KL.

At least you're staying warm in the bunker now.

Duncan

• RMweb Gold

You mean you haven't worked out where to stand the cups of tea/coffee for the operating crew. Most important otherwise they will stand them on the scenery. Now there's a though forget the brown paint just less us slosh tea over it that will take off the whiteness.

Don

• RMweb Premium

You mean you haven't worked out where to stand the cups of tea/coffee for the operating crew. Most important otherwise they will stand them on the scenery. Now there's a though forget the brown paint just less us slosh tea over it that will take off the whiteness.

Don

Don, I drink a lot of coffee, but with the extent of the fell on KL we'd be waiting forever before it changed colour!

It might look a bit different tomorrow once I've applied a coat of brown. Might - depends if I can be bothered to paint it! I might just take the day "off" and play!!!!!  :sungum:  :sungum:

:sungum: Jeff

Hi Jeff those hill are really impressive and the fascia helps to define the final shape.

Now I am seeing a light Grey for the baseboard edge, :O  or some Blackboard Paint, did you manage to get some before you retired? :nono:

Mug Holder and Biscuit tray is a must. :locomotive: :locomotive:

Have you decided on the Shade of Brown you are going to use for the hills yet? a coffee or Bourbon Biscuit colour is about right,

OR

You could go strait  to Green :O  and cut out the middle man, Static would look good on top of that.

A lot of S & C type layouts, including our club one has Hanging Basket Liner and that is very effective providing you DO NOT try to paint of weather it.

I will see if I can get some pics that might help you at the Nottingham Show on Sunday

Sorry I tried to be serious, :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Bodgit :sungum:

A lot of S & C type layouts, including our club one has Hanging Basket Liner and that is very effective providing you DO NOT try to paint of weather it.

Bodgit :sungum:

Hi Andy P. What happens if you try to paint and weather the hanging Basket Liner (HBL)?   :O

Anthony :senile:

:O

• RMweb Premium

Evening Andy.

I'm quite happy with ANY darkish brown on the hills at the moment, just to tone the glare down. It's pretty bright in the bunker with halogen light bouncing off all that plaster!

It's quite funny that you apologise for being serious. It's difficult to change your normal way of posting, isn't it?

Have fun in Nottingham.... the pics you take are always useful.

Jeff

Just been playing catch-up. Speaking of hiding the valley join, have a look at your 1st photo in Post #5103! I read an article in Model Railroader some years back which suggested a few ways to hide them and it strikes me that varying the land level slightly from side-to-side of the join will tend to break it up and make it less obvious, i.e. by 'hiding it in a (sort of) shallow declavity (posh word for depressions!). Other aids would be to use slightly darker shades of grass, etc along the bottom forming an artificial 'shadow'. Darker colours tend to hide stuff so brown paint as a base would work fine The wall running away from the join is an excellent idea which would tend to draw the eye away from it. Also being a river/stream valley there would tend to be more trees if sparse. I recall that the article recommended placing objects to either side of the join rather than directly over it which also tends to distract the eye. The same ideas also work at the junction between the back edge of the baseboard and backscene. By dropping the edge out of direct sight it gives the impression of greater distance as the mind fills in the hidden area for you.

Currently in Toronto having fun and stuff with  Canadian persons. Lucy, the gremlin keeps running up, staring at me then running away laughing to tell mommy grandads here. Down at the local freight yard this afternoon to watch a CP freight heading out for the USA. 5 AC4400's on the head with car carriers. 25 minutes from the lead unit to the last car crossing the exit point and you could still here the loco's powering away!

Have you noticed I haven't mentioned M.....i's or Grrrr.....Grrrr....once?

Regards

Bill

PS: It's bl..dy cold over here!

PPS: Yep! Agree with Andy there. A light or mid grey would be a good 'neutral' colour for the edging boards. Don't forget to outline the coffee holder in flourescent orange though!

Edit: Sorry about all the edits I think I'm having a spelling crisis because of the cold!

Edited by Mythocentric

• RMweb Premium

Very pleased to hear from you Bill. I mentioned you in a post the other day, as you'd been noticeably quiet over the last month. I remember you saying you were off to the States - in May? 

Toronto, eh? That's the hometown of Rush....their track YYZ referring to the airport's call-sign.

Thanks for the "join" suggestions. They'll become relevant in a while.

Wrap up - and have fun!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

I think paint the hills brown first. Where the vegetation gets thin ( gateways sides of tracks etc) you want the brown to show through. Regarding the fascias I have seen photos of some painted green which looked pretty good sort of blended with the grass err vegetatation above.

Don

Hi guys, that's starting to look the business Jeff!  

Small tip I read somewhere.  When applying the finishing coat of plaster over the bandage, add some dark brown paint to the plaster mix.  It acts as a decent undercoat for the basic earth colour and helps hide the white of the plaster as you paint over it.  More importantly, it stops any chips in the landscape/plaster showing up as bright white patches in the finished scenery should you happen to knock it in passing.

Edited by gordon s

Just been playing catch-up. Speaking of hiding the valley join, have a look at your 1st photo in Post #5103! I read an article in Model Railroader some years back which suggested a few ways to hide them and it strikes me that varying the land level slightly from side-to-side of the join will tend to break it up and make it less obvious, i.e. by 'hiding it in a (sort of) shallow declavity (posh word for depressions!). Other aids would be to use slightly darker shades of grass, etc along the bottom forming an artificial 'shadow'. Darker colours tend to hide stuff so brown paint as a base would work fine The wall running away from the join is an excellent idea which would tend to draw the eye away from it. Also being a river/stream valley there would tend to be more trees if sparse. I recall that the article recommended placing objects to either side of the join rather than directly over it which also tends to distract the eye. The same ideas also work at the junction between the back edge of the baseboard and backscene. By dropping the edge out of direct sight it gives the impression of greater distance as the mind fills in the hidden area for you.

Currently in Toronto having fun and stuff with  Canadian persons. Lucy, the gremlin keeps running up, staring at me then running away laughing to tell mommy grandads here. Down at the local freight yard this afternoon to watch a CP freight heading out for the USA. 5 AC4400's on the head with car carriers. 25 minutes from the lead unit to the last car crossing the exit point and you could still here the loco's powering away!

Have you noticed I haven't mentioned M.....i's or Grrrr.....Grrrr....once?

Regards

Bill

PS: It's bl..dy cold over here!

PPS: Yep! Agree with Andy there. A light or mid grey would be a good 'neutral' colour for the edging boards. Don't forget to outline the coffee holder in flourescent orange though!

Edit: Sorry about all the edits I think I'm having a spelling crisis because of the cold!

Is that for ELF and Safety reasons?

Dogbit :yahoo:

• RMweb Premium

Morning Lunesters,

I've just been and re-stocked with 12mm ply. I probably have enough to keep me going for the next month.

Thanks Gordon. I'll bear that in mind for the areas I haven't yet plastered - and good to hear from you. I keep checking Eastwood Town - one of these days you are going to surge into life and give up on all that knocking balls into holes stuff!

Andy - I'd see the vet. Being bitten by a dog can be hazardous to your health!!  :jester:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

all this talk of the grass has just lead me to see these: http://www.bromsgrovemodels.co.uk/pi1127406288.htm?categoryId=3 look down and you will see sheep at about 1/2 price. Act quick though, the shop closes on Friday!

Actually most of the stuff is dicounted to get rid of, so fill yer mankini!

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

all this talk of the grass has just lead me to see these: http://www.bromsgrovemodels.co.uk/pi1127406288.htm?categoryId=3 look down and you will see sheep at about 1/2 price. Act quick though, the shop closes on Friday!

Actually most of the stuff is dicounted to get rid of, so fill yer mankini!

Andy G

Well spotted Andy! I'll have a look - sheep are going to be needed by the truckload - good job I've got a cattle dock!!

Jeff