Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Superb post, Scott.

At the moment, the base of plaster is a base and anything is possible. I like your last photo - just like the one you posted a while back:

attachicon.gif1424609826_4a58d0199b_z.jpg

The original intent was for a mini-river - virtually no meander. That was replaced when I saw your photo. So it's shallow with meander somewhere between your red and blue, I'd say!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I think the rocks will hold the key to the flow and look of the Stream / River, and also the size of the banks of the said water course will be worn away on the twist and turns.

Keep enjoying

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure I said that we needed to get onto the next page. Now there'll be nothing but grass mentioned :O  :O  :O

Duncan

And all different types, colours, shades, height, spread, etc judging by Aberdare's contributory picture.

100s of packs, plenty of PVA, an abundance of artistic interpretation.....

Gonna be good, methinks.

:sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

Vegetating Lune

And all different types, colours, shades, height, spread, etc judging by Aberdare's contributory picture.

100s of packs, plenty of PVA, an abundance of artistic interpretation.....

Gonna be good, methinks.

:sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

Vegetating Lune

Followed by trees of different colours, shapes and sizes.

Just a thought, how do you plant trees in plaster? A drill, plenty of dust and even more PVA.

Next question, do you do the ballast and buildings before or after the grass and trees? or do you do the trees first?

More questions than answers tonight.

Duncan - Contemplating Lune

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's a very good one, Jim. Better than the dozens of images I scanned through on Google. You obviously put different search parameters in.

It'll be fun making one of those if I can get the stone walling technique sorted!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Crikey! That's a lot of plaster. The valley is looking very good.

Thanks Kev. I'm beginning to feel like I live in the damn valley!!

I really need to paint the plaster - I almost need sunglasses to go and work on the layout!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Now then Polly and Duncan. Don't get me in  panic over the ridiculous amount of scenics that'll need doing. A bit at a time.... and I'm not mentioning the G word in case Bodgit's about!

And to answer your question.... You put the structures in first and add the vegetation (good use of technical term to avoid G word!) later.

Fortunately, there aren't that many trees in the S&C environment. I made all my own on the last layout. They were ok, but I need something better on KL. I'll probably buy a few specimen trees and make all the shrubbery and low-lying stuff myself with Woodland Scenics kit.

It wont be long before I have to by an electrostatic-vegetation-applicator!! Lol.  :jester:  :jester:

Jeff

• Like 2

Now then Polly and Duncan. Don't get me in  panic over the ridiculous amount of scenics that'll need doing. A bit at a time.... and I'm not mentioning the G word in case Bodgit's about!

And to answer your question.... You put the structures in first and add the vegetation (good use of technical term to avoid G word!) later.

Fortunately, there aren't that many trees in the S&C environment. I made all my own on the last layout. They were ok, but I need something better on KL. I'll probably buy a few specimen trees and make all the shrubbery and low-lying stuff myself with Woodland Scenics kit.

It wont be long before I have to by an electrostatic-vegetation-applicator!! Lol.  :jester:  :jester:

Jeff

Jeff

Nice to see that I have been given the opportunity to quote Jason about the amount and variety of subjects still to be covered.

"You've only just begun and we are all strapped in for the full journey."

Duncan

Followed by trees of different colours, shapes and sizes.

Just a thought, how do you plant trees in plaster? A drill, plenty of dust and even more PVA.

Next question, do you do the ballast and buildings before or after the grass and trees? or do you do the trees first?

More questions than answers tonight.

Duncan - Contemplating Lune

Grass will grow OVER the edge of the ballast.

That's a very good one, Jim. Better than the dozens of images I scanned through on Google. You obviously put different search parameters in.

It'll be fun making one of those if I can get the stone walling technique sorted!

Jeff

I know a man that can, :O  hhahaah

Bodgit, :sungum:  NOT ME I might add :no: 

Jeff

I am watching :O :o :O :o

Jeff, Young Man, Senior Citizen sorry, Lune,

Now did I read somewhere way back around page 35 or so that you had the floor reinforced in antisipation of a lot of plaster, :O  FOR GOODNESS SAKE MAN, this is only the FIRST CORNER for heavens sake, get out more and get a life, :no: :no: :no: :no: hahhahehee

Bodgit Von Lumpy Lunester :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, Young Man, Senior Citizen sorry, Lune,

Now did I read somewhere way back around page 35 or so that you had the floor reinforced in antisipation of a lot of plaster, :O  FOR GOODNESS SAKE MAN, this is only the FIRST CORNER for heavens sake, get out more and get a life, :no: :no: :no: :no: hahhahehee

Bodgit Von Lumpy Lunester :sungum:

The old layout survived in an upstairs bedroom on a 44mm x 44mm frame with a considerable weight of plaster on it. This one's stronger and I think the underlying mass of planet Earth might just manage to cope with the super-Matterhorn structure rising from the depths!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Grass will grow OVER the edge of the ballast.

Wow! The man took the G word in his stride without drawing breath...

Internal door is being fitted into the bunker today - hopefully this morning. So operations are suspended until the job gets done and I can work unhindered.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Not in the early 60's Andy; the ballast and cess was kept incredibly neat back then. If you look at old photos, there is very clear definition between the edge of the cess and the vegetation, neater than most people's well tended gardens!

• RMweb Premium

Not in the early 60's Andy; the ballast and cess was kept incredibly neat back then. If you look at old photos, there is very clear definition between the edge of the cess and the vegetation, neater than most people's well tended gardens!

Which makes my job a lot easier. Here's one of Dave (unravelled)'s B&W photos - shown ages ago - of the S&C, illustrating Jason's point:

post-13778-0-16958800-1363256637_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Door fitted, effect pretty instantaneous. Room temperature at 12C with just the lights on - it hasn't reached that all week with the heater on.

I'm working on the hillside, tidying up some of the top and also at the well end of the stream, left-hand side. Will show some pics later - they won't show much, but I know some of you like them. I may eventually - tomorrow? - reach the left-hand embankment....

Jeff

Door fitted, effect pretty instantaneous. Room temperature at 12C with just the lights on - it hasn't reached that all week with the heater on.

I'm working on the hillside, tidying up some of the top and also at the well end of the stream, left-hand side. Will show some pics later - they won't show much, but I know some of you like them. I may eventually - tomorrow? - reach the left-hand embankment....

Jeff

Jeff

Good to hear that the door is in place and worth it.

It must feel positively tropical in there now. You may even nbeed to open a window before you get too hot.

No BBQ's though :jester:

Duncan

Point taken Jason, :no:  but what I was referring to is the fact that the ballast would be lower and therefore the grass would be over it along the edge, wherever the edge happens to be. I hope that makes some sense. :paint:

Bodgit :stinker:

Jeff

PLEASE DON'T PUT YOUR SHORTS ON :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Anonymous :no:

• RMweb Premium

Definitely no shorts Andy! It's much more comfortable in there but I draw the line at shorts. Might get my mankini out, though!!!

Maybe some photos later - of Lune Fell, NOT the mankini!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've now got this image in my mind..... Is it a vile green mankini per chance?

Andy g

(Trying to think of anything else to get that out of my head....)

Definitely no shorts Andy! It's much more comfortable in there but I draw the line at shorts. Might get my mankini out, though!!!

Maybe some photos later - of Lune Fell, NOT the mankini!!

Jeff

That is just WRONG :nono:  :nono: :nono:  :nono:  

Desperatly trying to get that image out of my head :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:

Duncan