Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Like the new idea Jeff,  though you might need to re-profile (again!) the supports to give a much more gentle slope down towards the station, and blend that slope into the mass of Lune Fell that you've already built.  I suspect the aqueduct wouldn't be that curved, more threpunny bit shaped...

Michael - perceptive as always! It occurred to me that it would be a good idea, as I can lower the slope and tailor the structure to lead into 2 cuttings, rather than support 2 tunnel mouths.

However, I was kind of hoping nobody would notice - then I wouldn't have to modify the thing AGAIN!!

It'll be 2 - 3 hours work, but worth it!

Btw, I'll make the aqueduct "curve", but in short straight sections joined up. That way, however I end up building the walls, it'll go together better. At this moment in time I've no idea how I'll do it - I will come up with something!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Another reason to lose the tunnel has just sprung to mind. Freight trains will need to reverse into the goods yard, would be a bit difficult if they had to stop in a tunnel and reverse! How would they even see the shunt signal?

Edited by Sandside

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff.

Just been doing some catching up after being out today (see Lunester Lounge).  Some interesting developments on here and photos prompted me to go get the Route Description (compiled by David Hughes) from our Fellsman trip last summer. 

As we leave the [Ribblehead] viaduct, the small isolated signal box at Blea Moor appears on the right near to a derelict house. Passing into a cutting and under an aqueduct that carries a stream over the line, we enter the depths of the 2.629 yd long Blea Moor Tunnel....Another stream passes overhead on an aqueduct prior to the imposing eleven-arch Arten Gill Viaduct....

Plenty of possibilities there, then.  SouthernRegionSteam's pics above on previous page really interesting.

North of Appleby, the guide continues:

The line crosses the River Eden at Long Meg (Eden Lacy) Viaduct near the site of the former ICI gypsum mine and plaster works at Long Meg....

Plaster works.  So that's where you've been disappearing to, Jeff!

The steam trip was superb but I couldn't keep up with the guide all the time and I'm afraid I didn't spot many of the castles either, ruined or otherwise! 

Faraway Lune

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Premium

Not sure about that Duncan.

More like - never throws anything out Lune.

Polly

Edit - the guide is two sides of A4 - not an encylcopedia....so just a quick browse to find info.

Edited by southern42

Completely off-thread, but Jeff, you're from Darlington, are you not?  Look the other way and experience the pleasures of the seaside!

Middlesborough, scenic Thornaby, Redcar, Whitby West Cliff, Fyling Hall, Scarborough...  all courtesy Hornby. I don't think those Thompson 'Washing Machines' ever made it to Blea Moor but they had to work around the Coast alright!  Nicer with an NER A8 really.

Autumnal weather here in NZ.

post-7929-0-99466700-1364706032.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

Completely off-thread, but Jeff, you're from Darlington, are you not?  Look the other way and experience the pleasures of the seaside!

Middlesborough, scenic Thornaby, Redcar, Whitby West Cliff, Fyling Hall, Scarborough...  all courtesy Hornby. I don't think those Thompson 'Washing Machines' ever made it to Blea Moor but they had to work around the Coast alright!  Nicer with an NER A8 really.

Autumnal weather here in NZ.

attachicon.gifWhitby_LNER_L1_2abcp1_r800_crop.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

A great looking scene, I can smell the sea air, & I think Whitby Abbey is just coming into view

• RMweb Premium

A great looking scene, I can smell the sea air, & I think Whitby Abbey is just coming into view

Quite right Billy. Rob's photos are always a delight to view.

I really ought to go right through KL and create a separate index to all his pics!

Jeff

EDIT: Done - see post 5640.

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

No work done in the bunker, so far, due to other commitments...

I'm going to have a look at the structure I built on Friday and see how to modify it to create a couple of reasonable length, reasonable height cuttings, as the branch and main diverge away into the fiddle yard.

I can't build the area up anyway - yet - as I've only a small amount of plaster bandage. But planning is enjoyable, as always!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

The RobMcG Index

Rob has put some beautiful photos into the KL thread. Here's a list of the photos I could find on the thread upto and incl. post 6075...

Post                                   Loco

666                     Bulleid Pacific

680                     Black 5

1406                   Britannia "Charles Dickens"

1416                   Britannia "Charles Dickens"

1458                   A3 "Coronach"

1462                   A3 "Coronach"

1478                   A3 "Coronach"

1482                   8F

1944                   2-6-4T

1962                   The man himself

1964                   Rob's "studio"

2050                   Britannia "Charles dickens"

2104                   Battle of Britain "73 Squadron"

2105                   Battle of Britain "73 Squadron"

2189                   Battle of Britain "73 Squadron"

2201                   5MT

2457                   Midland Compound

2542                   B17

2549                   B17

2594                   Royal Scot

4030                   Patriot

4132                   West Country

4485                   B17

4487                   "Studio"

4958                   Britannia "Lightning"

5092                   Britannia "Lightning"

5391                   5MT and Standard 4

5635                   L1

5794                   Midland Compound

5806                   Midland Compound

5975                   A1

5994                   A1

6075                   B1

6121                   Schools

6133                   Castle "Beverton Castle"

6165                   Britannia "William Shakespeare"

6218                   A1 "Great Eastern"

6295/7212          N15 "Sir Pelleas"

6339                   Double heading

6385                   Patriot "Home Guard"

6455                   A2 "Happy Knight"

6476                   Shed scene

6523                   Jubilee "Baroda"

6538                   Jubilee "Baroda"

6619                   Jubilee "Kolhapur"

6626                   Jubilee "Kolhapur"

6644/8                Patriot "Duke of Sutherland"

6687/6736          Black 5 double-header

6744/6787          Duchess "Duchess of Buccleuch"

6790/6813/6874 Merchant Navy "United States Lines"

6830                   Battle of Britain "Hurricane"

6833                   Jubilee-led double header

6904/6916          Jubilee "Baroda"

6946/6951          Britannia "Tornado"

6988/6990          9F

7053/7058          West Country "Wadebridge"

I'll update this every so often. Hope this is of interest!

Jeff

EDIT: Edited to July 8, 2013 (end of p.292)...

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear. I was wondering when this was going to happen.

Another index. I hope it's referenced properly in the main index or we might not find this one again. :jester:

Duncan

I'll try not to take that as a criticism. I think you'll find that all the important items are indexed and I'll certainly include the "Rob index" in my next update of the main Index!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

If I intended it as a critisim I'd have said as much.

Certainly another worthwhile resource on here.

Duncan

Fair enough  :sungum:

I realise there's going to be a danger of KL having an index to the index to the index.... I've only tried to include the practical-related stuff in the main index. If somebody wants to go through and create an index for the "humour" ... well, best of luck. You'll be there a long time!

I've done a bit of planning today, but it's so quiet in my neighbourhood I just can't bring myself to get the circular and jigsaws whirring!

Jeff

Hi Jeff and all,

Been to York today and found it sort of ok, best layout in my opinion was 'Bramblewick' an NER line between Whitby and Scarbourough. The standard of modelling (P4) is beyond expression, on talking with another viewer he told me the owner had passed away a couple of years ago and was an 'artist', that comment said it all.

Don't forget S&C guys on the wish-list to vote for the Anhydrite wagon!!!! KL NEEDS THEM, I do too.

Fair enough  :sungum:

I realise there's going to be a danger of KL having an index to the index to the index.... I've only tried to include the practical-related stuff in the main index. If somebody wants to go through and create an index for the "humour" ... well, best of luck. You'll be there a long time!

I've done a bit of planning today, but it's so quiet in my neighbourhood I just can't bring myself to get the circular and jigsaws whirring!

Jeff

One way to bring insanity to the Lunesters :jester:  :jester: :jester:  :jester:  

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Humor index, NO I think not it would be TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BBBBBBBBBBBIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG :sungum: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

I think you've put around 500 posts into KL, Andy. The humour index would probably include over 450 of yours. Too big - YES!!

One way to bring insanity to the Lunesters :jester:  :jester: :jester:  :jester:  

Duncan

I think the person who compiled the list would go insane! I'm mad enough without doing that! Maybe Andy should be given the task!!

And btw - no pics from Glenfinnick yet - but I think he's been grassing...

Talking of which - I need to start stocking up with my standard Earth mix and Green mix bags of Woodland Scenics...

Jeff

I think you've put around 500 posts into KL, Andy. The humour index would probably include over 450 of yours. Too big - YES!!

I think the person who compiled the list would go insane! I'm mad enough without doing that! Maybe Andy should be given the task!!

And btw - no pics from Glenfinnick yet - but I think he's been grassing...

Talking of which - I need to start stocking up with my standard Earth mix and Green mix bags of Woodland Scenics...

Jeff

Jeff

Their is already a world shortage of timber & plaster now your going to cause a problem with the very ground we walk on  :no:

Soon there will be nothing left for us, just Luneside Fell for us to look at in amazement & awe  :locomotive: