Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Just had a look at your main working image. If you modelled that, you'd take up the whole of the bunker. :O

I just hope that the progress reports on the build are as comprehensive as the viaduct was.

Duncan

Hi Jeff,

I think the best way to build stone walls would be to hand-make a section of suitable length, say 10cm of the stone 'stuff', out of any kind of aleady-manufactured scale model 'stone wall' or building or stone fence and then make a mould out of whatever moulds are best made from, and then cast lots of plaster of paris versions and break them into sections for smaller and larger 'bits', and colour with suitable paint. 

Just a thought, I haven't caught up with your thread yet today having just bought lots of TMC weathered engines, from Yorkshire no less...!

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Anyway, here's a fairly decent selection of S&C bridges from which to gauge the character and dimensions...

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6086/6062134035_e6828c0bed_z.jpg

http://www.valcorbettphotography.com/assets/img/content/articles/MAIN_SHOT-DSC_3027psweb.jpg

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/44/13/441340_ce522313.jpg

http://www.foscl.org.uk/sites/foscl.org.uk/files/imagecache/scrca_image_720/scrca/images-drupal/995/2013-02-21/258940_2013-02-21_KNu_BU_Bridge-126-Shaw-Paddock_Elevation-W-07.jpg

As for the stone-walling on top, for the aqueduct bit....err, we'll work that one out when we get there!!

Jeff

EDIT: I'm using the first link.... http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6086/6062134035_e6828c0bed_z.jpg   as my PRIMARY reference source for the double-track bridge that will carry the viaduct.

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff!

I've been quiet but I'm still watching the progress and as always I'm still mightily impressed!

I'll be using polystyrene for all the contours on The Old Road, due to it being very lightweight, however, I haven't even considered what I'll put on top to apply the scatter/other greenery to...

My thread has gone fairly quiet too despite progress being made which I know can almost be frustrating.

Should be able to get some more wood before I work tomorrow so I can make a bit more progress.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the construction of the aqueduct, if your scratchbuilt efforts on the viaduct(s) are anything to go by then we should be in for a treat.

I really like how KL is more of a railway in a landscape then most layouts are - fantastic!

One of those layouts I could sit and watch for hours and never get bored...

Cheers Jam.

Yes, I've been watching your progress too - the period garage and your very snazzy baseboard!! Good work that man!

I'm very comfortable with the bridge building but, as yet, don't know how I'll proceed with the stone walls. I'm going to have to master this as I've got miles of them to build for the hillside! So I think it'll be out with the DAS and I'll have a go in the manner described in February's RM. Mike61680, who is building "Dent", is currently trialling his own method for the walls - so if it works I'll cheat and copy it!

Railway modelling is such a great occupation/pastime.....

Best wishes,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just had a look at your main working image. If you modelled that, you'd take up the whole of the bunker. :O

I just hope that the progress reports on the build are as comprehensive as the viaduct was.

Duncan

Rest assured Duncan. Once I get going on the bridges, I'll report everything I do.

I've already decided to stonewall with the same dressed stone as the viaduct and tunnel portal. The bridges will also be built using 12mm ply as a base structure. A technique I'm happy with. I'll also be able to weather the portal at the same time as I paint the bridges. We'll see how it goes...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

I think the best way to build stone walls would be to hand-make a section of suitable length, say 10cm of the stone 'stuff', out of any kind of aleady-manufactured scale model 'stone wall' or building or stone fence and then make a mould out of whatever moulds are best made from, and then cast lots of plaster of paris versions and break them into sections for smaller and larger 'bits', and colour with suitable paint. 

Just a thought, I haven't caught up with your thread yet today having just bought lots of TMC weathered engines, from Yorkshire no less...!

Rob

Good suggestion Rob. I'm not sure if there's a reasonable facsimile of a Dales stone-wall....though I suspect Hornby made one. I'll try the clay technique first and if that doesn't work, constructing a mould could be a solution.

Btw, hope you didn't mind the RobMcG index of pictures a few pages back. I look forward to some of your new weathered beauties in suitable settings!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

No construction work done today. With going away for a few days I don't want to start on anything specific....

But... I've been in the bunker, cleaned the rails and I'm having a little running session. Bit of therapy - you all know it well!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

That sounds like a nice relaxing way to spend a Saturday Jeff. :sungum:

Duncan

Hi Duncan.

It's really good. Only an hour so far, but it's nice to see the class 45 disappear into the cutting and cruise over the viaduct. I might apply a bit more brown paint to the plaster that's had over a week to dry.

Coffee, then fun. Catch you later - as Bodgit would say.

Jeff

Three more pics showing the extent of plastering - before the supply ran out!

attachicon.gif100_2930.JPG

attachicon.gif100_2931.JPG

attachicon.gif100_2933.JPG

Jeff

Like that last picture - is it just me or does it like a resting Polar bear!

Was walking the Dales Way up the real river Lune yesterday alongside the old Low Gill route - a couple of fantastic viaducts over the river, sadly forgot camera, the Low Gill viaduct on a curve with an old pack horse bridge below, is worth a look at from a detail perspective.

Kingmoor

• RMweb Premium

Like that last picture - is it just me or does it like a resting Polar bear!

Was walking the Dales Way up the real river Lune yesterday alongside the old Low Gill route - a couple of fantastic viaducts over the river, sadly forgot camera, the Low Gill viaduct on a curve with an old pack horse bridge below, is worth a look at from a detail perspective.

Kingmoor

It certainly does, now I look at it!

Simon, have a look at this link. If you scroll down there's a series of pictures below the main one. Lovely pack horse bridge below Dent Head viaduct...

http://www.visitcumbria.com/carlset/dent-head-viaduct.htm

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Rob

Hi Jeff & Rob,

The stone walling Rob refers to is exactly what I have done with mine and have turned out about 6ft of the stuff with a few 'tee' intersections etc for absolutely coppers, definately much cheaper than buying each length but the do need painting. Jeff, did you ever try the ebay link I gave you where you got 60 pieces for about £6. I am going to use these with some re-cast versions for distant walls as they are a little smaller and will give some perspective.

I'll paint a few up tomorrow and post them to show the results, I'm having a day off from building the den' and doing a bit of modelling instead. I have all the platerboards on now ready for plastering.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff & Rob,

The stone walling Rob refers to is exactly what I have done with mine and have turned out about 6ft of the stuff with a few 'tee' intersections etc for absolutely coppers, definately much cheaper than buying each length but the do need painting. Jeff, did you ever try the ebay link I gave you where you got 60 pieces for about £6. I am going to use these with some re-cast versions for distant walls as they are a little smaller and will give some perspective.

I'll paint a few up tomorrow and post them to show the results, I'm having a day off from building the den' and doing a bit of modelling instead. I have all the platerboards on now ready for plastering.

Evening Mike.

Yes, I did have a look but I seem to recall not finding the thing you were referring to. What did you use to make the moulds?

I've done very little today - except "play" with a loco or two!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

If you look at the previous post (#5765) you'll see something amusing - as a consequence of the Forum doing odd things with its timings....

I posted at "16.37" according to the forum (GMT) - it was actually at 17.37 (BST). But the quote I used from Mike is dated at 16.39. So I "replied" to Mike before he'd posted.

Look - I know I'm "Physicsman", but I'm not THAT clever!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

If you look at the previous post (#5765) you'll see something amusing - as a consequence of the Forum doing odd things with its timings....

I posted at "16.37" according to the forum (GMT) - it was actually at 17.37 (BST). But the quote I used from Mike is dated at 16.39. So I "replied" to Mike before he'd posted.

Jeff

Maybe you're in a Tardis and not a Bunker Jeff.....

Jeff

Jeff, I told you that you must have 36 hours in 24 so the above sort of makes sense to me, nothing unexpected from a man of your calibre :boast:

I used a silicone mix for the moulds, I'll post a photo of them later for you.

BTW. I have given some walls a coat of watererd down humbrol acrylic and some with emulsion tester pots, we'll see waht they turn out like tomorrow !

Jeff

Jeff

You've either been acellerating around the sun in a clockwise direction or dialed the wrong stargate. :read:

Duncan

With regards to Jam's choice for topping polystyrene- I use plaster skimmed over the foam board, with about 10 lb/board added or so total weight.  (this is on 3x6ft boards).  Even using "large" quantities of plaster, I have used a lot less than Jeff has on Lunefell...like, I am at about 20 kg total over 5 boards, rather than 80+kg.  In places, I used 2 part foam to fill in space- this is the 2 lb/ ft^3 stuff, available from a good plastic supplier, or a surf board maker.  (mine comes from Industrial Plastic & Paint, but it is fairly available).  The issue with this is it is an iso-cyanate, so don't go breathing the fumes or doing the work in the house.  The expanding foam is also available in a can, and I have used that as well in places.  (it works well for filling volumes up that you made mistakes with...but don't fill the space "full" or else you will end up pressing out from somewhere).

Somewhere I have a story about a canoe and filling the ends of it with the 2 part liquid....and a somewhat "excessive" amount was used...it is also exo-thermic :)

James

• RMweb Premium

With regards to Jam's choice for topping polystyrene- I use plaster skimmed over the foam board, with about 10 lb/board added or so total weight.  (this is on 3x6ft boards).  Even using "large" quantities of plaster, I have used a lot less than Jeff has on Lunefell...like, I am at about 20 kg total over 5 boards, rather than 80+kg.  In places, I used 2 part foam to fill in space- this is the 2 lb/ ft^3 stuff, available from a good plastic supplier, or a surf board maker.  (mine comes from Industrial Plastic & Paint, but it is fairly available).  The issue with this is it is an iso-cyanate, so don't go breathing the fumes or doing the work in the house.  The expanding foam is also available in a can, and I have used that as well in places.  (it works well for filling volumes up that you made mistakes with...but don't fill the space "full" or else you will end up pressing out from somewhere).

Somewhere I have a story about a canoe and filling the ends of it with the 2 part liquid....and a somewhat "excessive" amount was used...it is also exo-thermic :)

James

Thanks for that, James. You really gave me a good laugh! No doubt there'll be somebody - no longer of this world - who simultaneously scorched and poisoned themselves!!

I can see the advantages of skimming plaster over foam board and it clearly is rigid enough for "normal" layout usage. I think I just have a tried and trusted method - excessive though it clearly is!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, I told you that you must have 36 hours in 24 so the above sort of makes sense to me, nothing unexpected from a man of your calibre :boast:

I used a silicone mix for the moulds, I'll post a photo of them later for you.

BTW. I have given some walls a coat of watererd down humbrol acrylic and some with emulsion tester pots, we'll see waht they turn out like tomorrow !

Mike - is this the same stuff you get in a sealant tube, or did you buy it in a packet/tin etc. If the latter, what was the commercial name. I'll get some and give it a try.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

You've either been acellerating around the sun in a clockwise direction or dialed the wrong stargate. :read:

Duncan

You could be correct! Actually, I was running down the road last night when I suddenly took a leaf out of Tom Paris's book, and accelerated to warp 10.

Spent a strange evening, in lizard form, spawning with the frogs in my pond. When I woke up, everything was back to normal - but I'd gained the extra 12 hours that Mike referred to in my 36 hour day.....

If you haven't watched Voyager you won't follow the Paris reference. I know Duncan will understand!

Btw, hasn't the Baron been very quiet this week. I know he's gone a bit of work on G, but I hope he's ok.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Mike - is this the same stuff you get in a sealant tube, or did you buy it in a packet/tin etc. If the latter, what was the commercial name. I'll get some and give it a try.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

No far from it.   Its a 2 part compound.     I'll dig out the details tomorrow and post them on here.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Thanks for that. It's given me the best laugh of the day.

Duncan

Duncan - I thought you'd enjoy it! Having seen what my frogs get upto I want to be a frog!!! (electro or insul!!?? lol)

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

No far from it.   Its a 2 part compound.     I'll dig out the details tomorrow and post them on here.

Thanks very much Mike. All info gratefully received!

When I get back from my dad's I'll go and get some DAS clay and have a go at the Railway Modeller method (February issue). If I can come up with some acceptable product it'll help with the fell walling and the aqueduct structure.

Jeff