Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Hi Jeff,

How about the best of both worlds for the walls? Make your first few walls stone by stone, and then make moulds from them to speed up the process. If you build several random sections then you could assemble them jigsaw fashion to fit the locations.

With regard to posting on here, can you not tether your laptop to your phone and use the 3G signal to create your own wireless hot spot?

Al

• RMweb Premium

Almost dead Oh Wise one, Sorry I could NOT make head nor Tail of you sizes, :O  I would just plonk a bit of wood across and if it looks OK then that's good for Liddle old me :nono:  . I look forward to your RED, GREEN, and YELLOW lines and arrows :no: when you return to civilization. Just been watching Martin Clunes on and Island just off Barrow with the crowning of its King, really interesting. Catch up again later. Bodgit :sungum:

Hi Andy.

You are referring to Peel Island and its castle. Quite an impressive ruin and there's a pub on the island too - well there used to be!

I will definitely treat you to a multi-coloured diagram when I return. Not quite as artistic as your backscenes!

I'm trying to estimate dimensions now, so it should be sorted by the weekend.

Already eating too much food here...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,How about the best of both worlds for the walls? Make your first few walls stone by stone, and then make moulds from them to speed up the process. If you build several random sections then you could assemble them jigsaw fashion to fit the locations.With regard to posting on here, can you not tether your laptop to your phone and use the 3G signal to create your own wireless hot spot?Al

As always, Al, you think of a simple solution...

I may try the castings if I ever create any worthwhile walling.

Jeff

No problem, Rob. Please keep posting your lovely images into KL so I can keep tabs on them and add them to the Index.

Much better if they are all centralised in one place!

Nice loco, the Compound, but just a little bit early for my preferred running period. However, if I regress back to the late 1950s then I could justify running one!

Jeff

Thanks, the Compounds were such Midland 'types' that they have to be appreciated. Mind you, I think the LNWR 'Claughtons' were also a great locomotive let down by little more than poor piston-ring design. When that was fixed they were superbly smooth and more economical, but it was too late and train sizes were becoming rather heavier. They rode beautifully so even if the fireman had to shift tons of coal at least he wasn't shaken to pieces as he might have been on a Black 5.

But I digress.  Here is Bachmann's superb 00 LMS 4P 4-4-0 in another of my easy-to-do scenarios.... on my desk with hand-built track (ouch!) lit by a 40W tungsten bulb, Canon SX150is point-and-shoot set to f8 on ISO80  centre-weighted-average focus etc.   Aren't modern models brilliant!  Some editing with PSP6 of course.

post-7929-0-53131600-1365464206.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning folks.

First visit of the day, and educational as I receive a lesson from Rob - and another cracking picture.

I'm already itching for the bunker but I'll have to make do with the Forum for my entertainment...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Have you taken a wander down to Peel Island? If you have is there much evidence of the railway and railway pier still there (See the latest BackTrack!)?

Al got in before me mentioning the casting from your own random stonework. Mind you I rekon that you will probably find it much like bricklaying, in as much as each area will need to be built to suit the contours..

Can you not find a decent photo to scale off for the bridge?

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Have you taken a wander down to Peel Island? If you have is there much evidence of the railway and railway pier still there (See the latest BackTrack!)? Al got in before me mentioning the casting from your own random stonework. Mind you I rekon that you will probably find it much like bricklaying, in as much as each area will need to be built to suit the contours.. Can you not find a decent photo to scale off for the bridge? Andy G

Hi Andy.

I've got some good mid-distance photos of the bridge and aqueduct, but they are all from the front of the structure. Then I have close-ups of the aqueduct which don't help with the scale. But I won't be far off and as long as the overall impression looks right I'll be happy.

As for the walling - having read the RM article and looked at a number of wall photos, it will probably require on-the-spot building. Keeping the courses horizontal and negotiating slopes and dips is going to need some bespoke wall building!

Once I've got the DAS cut into stones, I'll start.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Well we have got anything to comment on till you do some more and don't want to post other things onto KL. Quite happy to wait for the next instalment

Don

• RMweb Premium

Well we have got anything to comment on till you do some more and don't want to post other things onto KL. Quite happy to wait for the next instalmentDon

I see what you mean Don, but it's never stopped people before. That's why I started the Lounge and that's even quieter than KL.

If anyone knows a definitive width for the aqueducts, btw, let me know.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff.

Pleased to see your Awaydays are not stopping you thinking of KL or us Lunesters, come to that. :)

I'm sure your time away will inspire a host of activity when you return to the bunker - just return via the S&C.  :yes: 

KL will return to normal service in due course.  :jester: 

Pollywotsits

• RMweb Premium

Jeff I've just measured Force Gill Aqueduct on a map and it appears to be about 26 to 28 feet across (external). Duncan

Duncan, is your 28' from one side of the bridge that carries the aqueduct to the other side?

If so, it ties in nicely with my estimate of 24' from photos...26' if the stonewalling is a bit thicker.

Thanks for looking this up.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff. Pleased to see your Awaydays are not stopping you thinking of KL or us Lunesters, come to that. :)I'm sure your time away will inspire a host of activity when you return to the bunker - just return via the S&C.  :yes: KL will return to normal service in due course.  :jester:  Pollywotsits

Hi Polly.

Being away gives me more time to think, as I'm not able to DO anything.

Must admit that I'm excited at the prospect of doing a bit of structure-building when I get home!

Unfortunately my return is by car - not by the S&C.

Jeff

Duncan, is your 28' from one side of the bridge that carries the aqueduct to the other side?

If so, it ties in nicely with my estimate of 24' from photos...26' if the stonewalling is a bit thicker.

Thanks for looking this up.

Jeff

Jeff

It is from one side of the bridge to the other. At least it ties in with your estimates. :sungum:

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Jeff It is from one side of the bridge to the other. At least it ties in with your estimates. :sungum: Duncan

Hee heee!!

That's really good news... Between us we'll have it correct to a couple of feet - so less than a cm on the model. So it should look ok.

Cheers Duncan.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

01.28 Jeff, good grief, get some sleep man. You'll not be fit to do anything when you get back. Too much thinking about that aqueduct? It's still good modelling weather here, cold, grey and damp.

• RMweb Premium

01.28 Jeff, good grief, get some sleep man. You'll not be fit to do anything when you get back. Too much thinking about that aqueduct? It's still good modelling weather here, cold, grey and damp.

Jonathan - my dad always stays up late and we were watching a repeat of one of the documentaries on the WCML, narrated by Kevin Whately. It finished around 1.20.

Weather has been sunny here for the last 3 days, with a cold wind. Usually pours down when I visit!

Jeff

Hi Jeff

A little while since I contributed, but, there was a bit on here recently about dry stone walling and  I don't know if it is of any help to you, but, I was watching a DVD yesterday of the late David Jenkinson's Kendal layout and during that he mentioned his walling produced by using strips of thick card glued on end to the baseboard/hillside then covered in fire cement and the stone pattern added  by pressing plastikard previously embossed with a random pattern into the still wet cement. Apparently he was told the technique by Norman Solomans.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff A little while since I contributed, but, there was a bit on here recently about dry stone walling and  I don't know if it is of any help to you, but, I was watching a DVD yesterday of the late David Jenkinson's Kendal layout and during that he mentioned his walling produced by using strips of thick card glued on end to the baseboard/hillside then covered in fire cement and the stone pattern added  by pressing plastikard previously embossed with a random pattern into the still wet cement. Apparently he was told the technique by Norman Solomans. Ian

Thanks Ian. That's a new technique to me - but probably effective if Jenkinson was using it!

The beauty of this hobby is it costs very little to try different things.

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Just made an interesting discovery - to me anyway!

If you click on the number of replies value in the thread listing, it displays the number of posts made by the major contributors to that thread.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I have to admit that it makes interesting reading. Duncan

I guess you didn't know, either!

Stumbled across it as I'm using my phone to access the Forum. My finger pressed the wrong bit of screen - very easily done - and up popped the numbers!!

Any increase in spelling mistakes is due to using the phone...!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Mr Portillo was on the S&C today (BBC4) I hope you were watching didn't see any aqueducts but apart from in the rivers there was not a lot of rock outcrops plent y of gr*ss through.

Don