80s Home Improvement Stores?

Out of interest, can anyone think of any other 80s-era Home Improvement Store brands? So far I've thought of Homebase, Tempo and Wickes. It's for the factory units on the backscene of my exhibition layout.

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Out of interest, can anyone think of any other 80s-era Home Improvement Store brands? So far I've thought of Homebase, Tempo and Wickes. It's for the factory units on the backscene of my exhibition layout.

Thanks.

Do It All

B&Q

• RMweb Gold

The Texas logo is on wikipedia, I'm pretty sure I've seen the original Homebase logo somewhere as well.

One thing to think about is that a lot of these 80s DIY stores had quite a distinctive curved edge to the roof, there are older branches of Homebase and B&Q that date from the period.

(Including at least one Homebase store in Scotland which still has the Texas red/blue flashes on the outer wall

I think Focus and DIY were originally separate brands.

In Bromborough there was a Marley store (may have been Marley Tiles) that became a DIY store, then Focus DIY, then (Sainsbury's) Homebase. It's now a Tesco Home store.

Now you mention it, I remember a Marley in Bedford - it was definitely a full d.i.y. store, not just tiles.

• RMweb Premium

Do it All was set up by WH Smith at the height of the DIY craze, with Boots countering by seting up Payless. Focus didn't exsist untill the early 2000s and was a rebranding of the remains of the Do It All and Payless chains long after they had mereged in the late 90s with all stores trading as Do It All. FADs was still going back in the 80s and I beleive was bought by Boots at some stage ending up as part of the Do It All group when Boots pulled out of DIY.

Texas was bought out by Homebase I believe in the recession of the 90s

But it still has a plaque in St James showing where it's embassy was...

Texas may have had its faults as a store, but I'll not hear a word against their self adhesive draught excluder, of which I still have most of the last roll remaining that must be thirty some years old. (Bought a very draughty house in 79...) Sticks like the proverbial to a shovel, never loses its bounciness...

Do it All was set up by WH Smith at the height of the DIY craze, with Boots countering by seting up Payless. Focus didn't exsist untill the early 2000s and was a rebranding of the remains of the Do It All and Payless chains long after they had mereged in the late 90s with all stores trading as Do It All. FADs was still going back in the 80s and I beleive was bought by Boots at some stage ending up as part of the Do It All group when Boots pulled out of DIY.

Texas was bought out by Homebase I believe in the recession of the 90s

Focus were a privately owned chain founded in 1982, they merged with Do-It All in the late 90s and for a while, owned Wickes

• RMweb Premium

One thing to think about is that a lot of these 80s DIY stores had quite a distinctive curved edge to the roof

There might be some regional variation then - all the B&Q, Do it All and Texas stores I remember (some of which are still standing) all had square edges hiding pitched roofs. Take a look at the junction of Yorkshire Street and Whitworth Road in Rochdale using Bing mapping's bird's eye view. You'll find a B&Q (red) and former Texas store (now green).

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

When did Great Mills start? They merged with Do it All (which had already merged with marley/Payless) and became Focus.

In the '80s there were still a few independents with big warehouse size stores too.

When i worked for paul madeleys diy in 1983 the was another diy store over the road called DIY INTERNATIONAL like the kingfisher group before group companies took over, I forget the parent name switching company that owned great mills, focus,diy international, international diy. on paper they appeared as different companies but if a store started doing badly they closed it down just renamed made out a new company now owned it, as you say most brands disapeared and focus became the fuller name. Which now the norm these days the 1 company is parent to many other companies. As these days you never know who owns who lol

edit: I think the OP is going to need a much bigger layout to fit all these company names in LOL

Odd this should come up, I still have a yellow plastic one metre rule - I was using it this afternoon in fact - marked TEXAS HOMECARE THE BIG ONE Texas price 99p A QUESTION MARK PRODUCT ?. It must be at least 30 years old since it was bought in Lincoln when I was at Waddington, and I went there in April 1979

MFI was one of the biggest around that time and had stores everywhere. They started in the 1960s grew into maybe the largest player but ceased trading a few years ago. The brand has recently been relaunched as an online trader.

If you look up them and the other home improvement stores on Wikipedia you'll find their logos.

Another large one was Magnet - which might have been trading as Magnet & Southern at that time.

"Wickes" were certainly here in the Midlands in the early 80s, as were "Magnet and Southern" who we thought were overpriced at the time. (Tight wads!!)

There's many a carpet seller worked out of redundant chapels

Archived