SNCF TGV Postal set in St Pancras

I wonder how much 'parcels'/'logistics' traffic Eurostar is handling at present - anybody know?

Esprit Europe is Eurostar's parcels service. It currently turns over about 1 million euros per year. It could do more but there is limited space on t

Euro Carex (Cargo Rail Express) plans to do a lot more. It is a consortium of SNCF, Europorte (the parent company of GB Railfreight), La Poste, Air France-KLM and FedEx. They have 25 new high speed trains on order. The target market is express parcels and things currently carried as air freight.

Cheers

David

I'm slightly concerned about the idea of using St. Pancras as a cargo terminal.

Since the re-building, surely this station is hardly suitable for such an an operation.

Not only are the platforms unsuitable, the surrounding roads either have parking restrictions due to the traffic flows, or are congested. Plus the East side of the station is largely the pedestrianised area linking the KX - SPI complex together and with the Kings Cross Lands development.

I have a horrid vision of platforms cluttered with trolleys and debris and of the fixtures and fittings getting battered and damaged, ruining this wonderful stations new character.

Hopefully there is a plan for a proper freight terminus?

Ron, I think there is an idea to put a proper freight terminal in the Barking area initially. Given it's a bi-directional train and there aren't likely to be heaps of them moving it could conceivably be quite a simple affair?

It appears to have been moved on HS1 by their diesel rescue loco's, so my guess is there's more 'show-offery' than realistic testing going on with it's appearance at St Pancras. ;)

Ron, I think there is an idea to put a proper freight terminal in the Barking area initially. Given it's a bi-directional train and there aren't likely to be heaps of them moving it could conceivably be quite a simple affair?

It appears to have been moved on HS1 by their diesel rescue loco's, so my guess is there's more 'show-offery' than realistic testing going on with it's appearance at St Pancras. ;)

I was on nights last night, and heard the 'track-to-train' from the Krupps, advising they'd be stopping at the ET/NR interface to pick up a pilot- when I went upstairs, I could see the Krupps quite clearly, but couldn't discern the TGV to identify it. They did a similar move last week, presumably to devise a way of running round the stock to avoid having a pair of diesels on the stops at St Pancras when the press arrived.

They'd probably be using the freight chords at Ripple Lane/Barking when running operationally- there's a bit of space on the site of the old yard, I believe. I anticipate my work in-box will have some piccies in it when I go in on Friday....

• RMweb Gold

I'm slightly concerned about the idea of using St. Pancras as a cargo terminal.

Since the re-building, surely this station is hardly suitable for such an an operation.

Not only are the platforms unsuitable, the surrounding roads either have parking restrictions due to the traffic flows, or are congested. Plus the East side of the station is largely the pedestrianised area linking the KX - SPI complex together and with the Kings Cross Lands development.

I have a horrid vision of platforms cluttered with trolleys and debris and of the fixtures and fittings getting battered and damaged, ruining this wonderful stations new character.

Hopefully there is a plan for a proper freight terminus?.

In view of the severe lack of platform capacity at St Pancras International and capacity problems at the Eurostar depot at Temple Mills I would have though it a near impossibility to use the passenger station - and that's before we even look at such niceties as road access and the lack of space for any handling facilities underneath the platforms themselves.

I'd be grateful if you would remind us about the other/s

Chris

The one used for track and catenary measurements (IRIS) has also visited; in both cases they've had to either be hauled, or moved under their own power within possessions, as they don't have the appropriate version of TVM430 for either the Channel Tunnel or CTRL.

• RMweb Premium

How about the Willesden Royal Mail RDC? :lol: Built for the job & unused I believe! ;)

Used daily by Class 325s for services to Warrington and Shieldmuir. Might be a slight gauge issue getting a TGV in there though. . .

David

Used daily by Class 325s for services to Warrington and Shieldmuir. Might be a slight gauge issue getting a TGV in there though. . .

David

Also one or two accessibility issues from CTRL to WCML if you're thinking of daytime use- the connection between the two was designed before LOL upgraded the NLL service to 4 tph. Trying to send anything via the link would involve the services on HS1 being slowed from Thames Tunnels onwards. The logical terminal would be at Barking, as it has good links to the M25 and Central London.

Having found a few news items on this, I've gleaned the following...

As Martyn says, they propose to use a new terminal at the Ripple Lane, Barking sidings.

This was not a "test run", just a PR visit.

The La Poste TGV was just hired in for this PR stunt, they won't be used for the proposed Euro CAREX services.

A new fleet of trains are being ordered for the Euro CAREX network.

From what I can see, the purpose of the Euro CAREX operation is to transport freight to and from Europe's major Air Cargo hubs, replacing some of the feeder flights and also lorry journeys.

So this is basically part of Air Freight operations.

The service from London will take freight to European mainland airports for onward shipment.

There's potential there for pinching business from operations from UK bases, to the benefit of European cargo airline rivals. However, having said that, there are dozens of flights ever night taking cargo to these European cargo hubs. Some of this will probably transfer to the rail service, particularly the services from the SE.

IIRC, the first TGV to visit SPI was the IRIS track test train?

Archived