Hornby - Thompson O1

S.A.C Martin

Hello

We thought you may like to know that an item you have on order with us, on order id XXXXXX, has had some information about its release date added or updated.

Hornby Model Railways R3088X Thompson Class 01 LNER 3755 - DCC Fitted. £115.00

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Friday 28th September 2012

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. This information is to be used as a guide only.

We hope that this email has been useful.

Regards

Retail Team

Hattons Model Railways

www.ehattons.com

Plenty of time to save up then! :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

...I challenge ANYONE who thinks Thompson designs were ugly or uninspiring to come and say that now ...

When he bolted together existing component patterns in established relationships the end result was aesthetically satisfactory; and 'looks right, is right' came into play, they were good traction units. The O1 the most handsome of the lot in my book, edging out the similarly clean looking B1 by the neatness of the matching footplate height from cab to tender. As for the livery, grubby all over garnished with a little rust on the smokebox like any hardworking goods heavy surely?

[Tangent] It was the original design work which tended to the ugly and uninspiring: and wasteful too when Doncaster had a proven pacific chassis arrangement which worked well. No need to fix something that isn't broken.[/Tangent]

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When he bolted together existing component patterns in established relationships the end result was aesthetically satisfactory; and 'looks right, is right' came into play, they were good traction units. The O1 the most handsome of the lot in my book, edging out the similarly clean looking B1 by the neatness of the matching footplate height from cab to tender. As for the livery, grubby all over garnished with a little rust on the smokebox like any hardworking goods heavy surely?

[Tangent] It was the original design work which tended to the ugly and uninspiring: and wasteful too when Doncaster had a proven pacific chassis arrangement which worked well. No need to fix something that isn't broken.[/Tangent]

Agree absolutely, I always thought that in appearance terms the O1s had something the B1s didn't quite catch and I think the same goes for the models of the two classes - the O1 'looks right' as a piece of loco design.

• RMweb Premium

Just to digress:

Did any of the O1s receive vac brake fittings BTW, or are fitted freights a definite no-no?

Just to digress:

Did any of the O1s receive vac brake fittings BTW, or are fitted freights a definite no-no?

Only the Tyne Dock examples.

Some had vac ejectors fitted in conjunction with AWS very late in their lives, according to The Green Book, but I havn't seen any piccies on fitted freights.

Bernard

• Like 1

Guest Tom F

All it wants is some dirt - Hornby excel themselves!

Let me at it, let me at it!!! Airbrush, brushes, paints, white spirit and powders all at the ready!