Hornby 42xx& 72xx - first glimpses

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I think Hornby must be having a major revision of delivery dates........these are the revised dates  I just received from Hattons:

52xx  was early March  now  after March 25......................at least the postponement time is decreasing!

Star was March (I think) now June

Castle was June now August

28xx now December

They might be better to adopt Bachmann's policy. Think of the aggravation and loss of goodwill they have suffered from this 42/52/72 xx issue, whereas most people seem pretty happy to accept the slow arrival of the Dukedog.

• RMweb Gold

I long ago resolved not to get excited and stick to the 'they'll be here when they get here' approach to life - looks like it's not a bad philosophy, just not very productive but all helpful with cash flow as the Dapol 'thousands' have not been exactly cheap and the Heljan DPU won't be either.  And there's other Western stuff coming up over the horizon this year at quite a gallop so a good spread of delivery dates has its advantages (if it happens that way).

Blimey. Hornby must have major issues getting cardboard for their packing.Come on Simon K tell us something please.

Robin, I was a bit worried when the delays to the 8-coupled tanks were first announced. Back then there was a lot of speculation about wrong shipments but when the packaging issue surfaced it made me wonder exactly what point this packaging issue was discovered.

• During boxing in the factory? (requiring a package redesign)
  • When opening the first shipment? (requiring a package redesign and a replacement production run)

I should slap my wrist for speculating, but what if, just what if, there was a shipping problem, containers shifting, boxes falling off pallets, or whatever? An urgent replacement run would be needed which would result in cascading production schedules for other products.

I know nothing but additionally there are bound to be many different problems ramping up a new factory that can contribute to delays.

At this point I am worried for Hornby. They really need to get their supply chain sorted if they are to remain a viable business. We can expect a trading statement, preparatory to the annual report after the end of this month.

They might be better to adopt Bachmann's policy. Think of the aggravation and loss of goodwill they have suffered from this 42/52/72 xx issue, whereas most people seem pretty happy to accept the slow arrival of the Dukedog.

It does seem that we treat Hornby and Bachmann Branch-Line a little differently in this regard. The Dukedog is quite late - even by Bachmann's 18 month window.

I'm not sure what you mean by Bachmann's 'policy'. One thing Bachmann Branch-Line does better is to clearly communicate the development stage of their products in their quarterly Collectors' Club and by 'news' items on their website.

Sometimes we get a surprise from them (City of Truro and the Improved Director, which are NRM items) but generally they are willing to share development progress and I think that this builds customer confidence, even with lead times in the vicinity of two years.

• RMweb Gold

It does seem that we treat Hornby and Bachmann Branch-Line a little differently in this regard. The Dukedog is quite late - even by Bachmann's 18 month window.

I'm not sure what you mean by Bachmann's 'policy'. One thing Bachmann Branch-Line does better is to clearly communicate the development stage of their products in their quarterly Collectors' Club and by 'news' items on their website.

I guess what I meant was almost a "non-policy". Clear communication regarding development but no declared commitment to a delivery date/ quarter within the 18 month cycle

Regards from a near neighbour.

• RMweb Gold

Sometimes we get a surprise from them (City of Truro and the Improved Director, which are NRM items) but generally they are willing to share development progress and I think that this builds customer confidence, even with lead times in the vicinity of two years.

I think Bachmann can draw an advantage from working off an 18 month cycle as well as avoiding announcing specifc release dates.  this gives them a bit more 'fiddle factor' in both the toolroom (which I have heard spoken of as a bottleneck and allegedly the main factor which affects bringing models to production) and on the actual production lines.  But most of that doesn't matter as generally models come forward at a reasonable rate over the catalogue cycle - albeit with some hiccups - and we don't go round checking against the calendar every few days.

While Hornby clearly do have some sort of problems - still - in getting product to market (or indeed in meeting market expectations in respect of numbers) we are all the more aware of it because we can measure the amount of slippage, and not take much notice of the occasional items which are brought forward as I believe might be happening with the Great Gathering A4s.

• RMweb Premium

The most frustrating part in all of this, is the silence from Margate. I can't understand why they do not make announcements, through the trade press about where they are. Last time I asked Simon, he told me mid-Jan for delivery of them......

The most frustrating part in all of this, is the silence from Margate. I can't understand why they do not make announcements, through the trade press about where they are. Last time I asked Simon, he told me mid-Jan for delivery of them......

They are communicating dates (sort of). I can't help thinking that there are likely to be reasons they don't want to do a full disclosure regarding what is really going on.

And nor are they required to.

I think Bachmann can draw an advantage from working off an 18 month cycle as well as avoiding announcing specifc release dates.  this gives them a bit more 'fiddle factor' in both the toolroom (which I have heard spoken of as a bottleneck and allegedly the main factor which affects bringing models to production) and on the actual production lines.  But most of that doesn't matter as generally models come forward at a reasonable rate over the catalogue cycle - albeit with some hiccups - and we don't go round checking against the calendar every few days.

While Hornby clearly do have some sort of problems - still - in getting product to market (or indeed in meeting market expectations in respect of numbers) we are all the more aware of it because we can measure the amount of slippage, and not take much notice of the occasional items which are brought forward as I believe might be happening with the Great Gathering A4s.

Mike ,

Pardon my cynicism but surely that's a 'big money quick return' action (which would be an even bigger return if they had supplied sufficient to satisfy dealers orders)

• RMweb Gold

Mike ,

Pardon my cynicism but surely that's a 'big money quick return' action (which would be an even bigger return if they had supplied sufficient to satisfy dealers orders)

I don't think you're being at all cynical there Derek - I reckon they will be more than happy to have the 'high rollers'/big ticket items well up the leaderboard in order to bring the money in.  I haven't got a clue what their trade discount is but assuming 40% the 'Great Gathering' A4s will gross Hornby in excess of £250,000 - on production tooling which in some respects is probably fully amortised although there are obviously different decoration and packaging costs involved as well.  If there is  way of getting that money in quicker they'd be daft not to go for it.

• RMweb Gold

Firstly an apology for my poor photos as its on its last legs but here's 4283 stretching its haulage capacity with the down Royal Duchy.

A Castle failed at Newton Abbott and the new Hornby model was available to take it on to Brent.

The shirtbutton and Mk1s are a bit of a mismatch but hey ho its my layout etc.I don't think the smokebox looks that bad on reflection.

Who's going to be the first to ask then ?

A link to the prototype at Swansea in 1953 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Photo-Ex-GWR-42xx-Class-No-4283-at-Swansea-East-Dock-Shed-1953-/370776360602?pt=UK_Collectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item5653fe469a

post-126-0-26701000-1362937871_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-80963100-1362937892_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-13261500-1362937913_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-02084200-1362937932_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Blimey Robin! :O

That's a turn up for the books! How'd you manage that?

Has Andy been over for a photo shoot?

Does look good mind. :D

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Firstly an apology for my poor photos as its on its last legs but here's 4283 stretching its haulage capacity with the down Royal Duchy.

A Castle failed at Newton Abbott and the new Hornby model was available to take it on to Brent.

The shirtbutton and Mk1s are a bit of a mismatch but hey ho its my layout etc.I don't think the smokebox looks that bad on reflection.

I don't need to ask because I know the answer (but I'm keeping quiet, as there could be a fit of fun here :jester: )

....don't like the ferns on the platform.

Jealous, me?

• RMweb Gold

What's the big deal? Hornby's is late so in the meantime you scratchbuilt one. Might as well, eh? :-)

What's the big deal? Hornby's is late so in the meantime you scratchbuilt one. Might as well, eh? :-)

Yes, but they always say you shouldn't make a model of a model. He's reproduced several of Hornby's minor errors quite well :scratchhead:

Nick

Rob,

Get that bad boy on e-bay smartish and let nature take it's course.

Then you could retire to a manor house in the South Hams and sit sipping Pimm's in the garden whilst being wafted by the breeze from your Cordylines!

Just a thought.

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

Rob,

Get that bad boy on e-bay smartish and let nature take it's course.

Then you could retire to a manor house in the South Hams and sit sipping Pimm's in the garden whilst being wafted by the breeze from your Cordylines!

Just a thought.

Andy.

I no longer have it as its owner snatched it away from me pretty smartish. The tease. ;) Pimms ? Give me a glass of cider anyday.

I no longer have it as its owner snatched it away from me pretty smartish. The tease. ;) Pimms ? Give me a glass of cider anyday.

Don't you just hate it when that happens.........a friend did the same to me with a Finney 47xx a few years back and I never fully recovered.

Sorry about the Pimm's thing, I came over all gentrified there for a moment. It won't happen again!

Andy.

Archived