Stanier Self weighing Tender information

steve fay

Hi Guys

Im looking for any info on the Stanier Self Weighing Tender for a possible model of Black 5 45298.

I have a few pictures in The North & West route vol 3a and a few saved on my PC but any links to pictures or drawings would be greatfully received.

Guest Natalie Graham

There was an article about these, with drawings, in an issue of Model Railways about 1974, I think, but I can't remember which issue.

• RMweb Premium

There was an article about these, with drawings, in an issue of Model Railways about 1974, I think, but I can't remember which issue.

Hi Natalie.

I think you might be mistaken here. There certainly is an article on LMS tenders in January 1974, however they aren't of a self-weighing type.

The ones covered here, were a batch of 10 that were of similar construction to Stanier tenders, except they didn't have curved sides. A hybrid, perhaps?

I guessed this was the article you meant, so I was wrong too.

I do seem to recall seeing an article of Self-weighing tenders somewhere. Who knows where though?

Kevin Martin

Hi Steve,

As was mentioned in the other thread there is some information on the self weighing tenders attached to the Black Fives in Part 6 of the LMS Locomotive Profiles by Wild Swan. This stretchs to two pages and includes four very good photos though sadly no drawings. If you can get a look at a copy it might prove helpful.

• RMweb Premium

There were 2 types of tender, according to 'Engines of the LMS' ISBN 0 902888 59 5.

10590 & 10591 are listed as Self Weighing Tenders. As are 10836 & 10837, the pairs seem to have different coal capacities - 8 Ton & 8 1/2 Ton respectively.

There is a photo on an unknown one as the last page.

4999 is listed as Test Train Tender with through gangway & corridor connection - built 1937.

An outline drawing appears on page 85.

Kevin Martin

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The "steelyards" are the weighing equipment which ran across the back of the bunker. In use the whole bunker was suspended from the tender, when the weighing equipment was not in use it could be locked down. After the end of the experiment the tenders remained in use behind various 5MTs with the equipment removed from the back of the bunker, at this time the fireiron tunnel was attached to the RH side of the bunker.

post-1643-0-72550000-1347948772_thumb.jpg

This is the outline drawing I prepared to build one of these tenders using partial drawings and the GA of the standard 4000 gal. tender.

Michael Edge

• 1 year later...

I have this image in my collection:

5582976292_8abc20bc20.jpg

And this one of a tender attached to a different engine:

6655106617_187ec81b26.jpg

That's what I'm saying, Robert. The only (ex-)LMS engines I had ever seen before with self-weighing tenders were Stanier 5s, as in your two pictures. That picture of one behind a Jubilee was a complete surprise.

I think that the 5X was withdrawn when the photo was taken, and I'm not convinced she ran in traffic with that tender. The self-weighing ones had smaller capacities than the normal ones, and it's possible she was given this in exchange for her own to increase the range of the Black 'un to which it was previously attached, so it would be scrapped with the withdrawn engine.

I think that the 5X was withdrawn when the photo was taken, and I'm not convinced she ran in traffic with that tender. The self-weighing ones had smaller capacities than the normal ones, and it's possible she was given this in exchange for her own to increase the range of the Black 'un to which it was previously attached, so it would be scrapped with the withdrawn engine.

I'd agree that's completely possible. I've seen that on another Jubilee - I have a terrible photo of 45698 withdrawn at Bank Hall in January 1966, attached to a Fowler tender. According to the Irwell 'Book of the Jubilees', it was last attached to a Fowler tender in 1959, and it certainly was running with a Stanier one in 1964/5.

"Tonga" did indeed go to the scrapyard with the self-weighing tender.  I have a photo' that I took at Oxley on 20th March 1966 showing it/her with that tender.  Not really worth posting the photo' here as it barely shows the tender - not one of my better efforts!

Also have a photo' I took of 44697 with SWT on one of the outside roads at Blackpool North shed in August 1963 - could put up a copy of that one if anyone's interested.

Regarding Jubilees, I'm sure I photographed one with SWT parked on one of the turntable roads at Blackpool North in 1964/65 but I don't seem to have a scan of it on disc.  Unfortunately I can't get to either my negatives or my original prints at the moment - I'll post a copy if I come up with anything, but don't hold your breath.  Also, of course, memory could be playing tricks.

Archived