Comet LMS Suburban bk third

after tonights match i sat down and did the hinges on the other side.

doesnt look pretty in the first pic but a shot to show what happens, it does start out clean! , I cant snip them any closer as they ping off and have to be redone again.

post-27-0-84977400-1341183955_thumb.jpg

and in this pic theyve been trimmed right down with the dremel, have to be quick so they dont get hot, then filed down more with a large file, then had a quick clean with fibreglass pencil and in soapy water.

post-27-0-37836100-1341183990_thumb.jpg

this side was quicker, not so much because the side isnt attached to the frame but just getting the hang of doing them now.

• Like 3

and just to finish off for tonight, ive soldered the other end and this side to the chassis.

for this I tinned the chassis side, then put flux on the back of the coach side, held the coach side against the chassis side and with the RSU turned up to the second setting held the tip against the outside of the coach and heated it up so that the solder on the chassis flows and gives a good join, even though it gets very hot, it is quick and localised with the result that the hinges and other bits dont fall off and I also had the plastic interior in while I did it to keep it square and that didnt even slightly melt. I start at one end and go along it in stages until its all soldered.

needs another clean now.

post-27-0-93899700-1341188105_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Nice work, what colour(s) is it going into?

Mike

thanks its going to be plain crimson red, although it was a bit of debate as that is the livery the owner wants it in, but when I asked him what period they run the layout he said around 60-62, I would have thought they would be maroon with lining by then but I dont know a lot about these and thats the livery he wants, I wont be arguing as its easier for me as I dont fancy doing the lining.

for the red Ill be using a Halfords colour, probably Rover damsk red.

this afternoon ive cut the aloominum roof, soldered on the frame sides and buffer beams, also built up and soldered the bogie frames, I did melt one wheel when doing this but not bothered as it wont be having plastic wheels.

post-27-0-62426200-1341251499_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Late in the day, around 1962, some period III non-corridor coaches got lined maroon livery, which it had been denied previously (except for motor fitted coaches). The waist lining ran through the door handles instead of immedietly below the windows. The lining above the windows was higher too to match the then current vogue on Stanier corridor stock. By this date most of the door vents had been removed, which gave a tidier appearance. Not sure how many LMR non-coridor coaches retained plain carmine into the 1960s, but I would bet they were mostly eldery Period I coaches. Isn't Rover Damask red crimson lake/maroon colour?

• Like 2

thanks Larry, Im getting mixed up, its whatever the closest match to plain Carmine red is im after, isnt it a BMW colour?

thats what he wants, he's not too bothered about the presice date as they run blood and custard coaches and he wants the coach for his own home layout which he runs at the 1950s too.

however I want a few of these myself in the future, in maroon lined so its all valuable info.

had enough of soldering for today,and while im aralditing some bits on another project, ive cut out the plasticard which is provided to make the door vents and stuck them and the whitemetal lookout on one side, will leave this to dry overnight.

post-27-0-20977500-1341264860_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Michael,

You are making a pretty good job with just the materials which came out of the box. The door hinges have come out well - what a lot of soldering work that must have been. Hinges certainly give much-needed surface texture to flush-sided stock.

Colin

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

thanks Colin,

im stuck now as I have no idea how the underframe pieces go, does anyone have a plan please?

Have a look on the Comet website as the plans will be on there if you know the coaches product number.

• Like 1

ahh thanks very much, I was given a mixed set of instructions from a few different comet kits, but didnt have the correct one for the underframe and roof vents.

can get on with some work now :)

the only thing else I will need soon when once painting is done is reference of the coach number position, but thats a little while off yet.

he was happy with the coach when he saw it yesterday, only thing he has asked me to change is the coupling to the newer Bachmann style, Ive got loads of them taken from locos. debating on putting it to the bogie or try and do it to the chassis, they have tight curves on the layout.

agree, have to tell us all more about it Bill.

It is 3D printed in nylon so it is relatively flexible and very tough. The bogies are flexible enough not to need compensation or springing. I have a whole range of the underframes, too many to list here, and I'm working towards providing bogies for them. At the moment I am making them all to order, so I can incorporate variations in eg stepboards, and underframe equipment for restaurant cars. The price is £30 with bogies £20 without.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice work Mike.

As far as I'm aware the dynamo should always be at the third class end (unless it's a full first!) First class passengers have paid more and the guard doesn't want to listen to it whirring all day. This may be wrong and a complete urban myth so I will be corrected.

• Like 2

thanks Paul.

ive soldered the underframe bits on, I havent got a working printer to print out the template so did it by eye so cant be 100% sure its accurate, same with the ventilators which ive drilled out.

its a bit wonky under there and not pretty but its done. i would make up the underframe first next time.

ive also taken off the plastic door vents,

for the couplings I cut the plastic NEM box from my new Bachmann class 85 and araldited it to a brass bracket at the front of the bogies, new style Bachmann couplings fitted and he can also take them out if he ever wants to fit other types.

next is the long step board (not sure how that attaches exactly) and bogie sideframes, 1 whitemetal leaf spring is missing so ill make one from a scrap plastic one

post-27-0-02061200-1341514519_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The grey rectangles are 'chalk patches' for scribbling on information concerning parcels or whatever. It was an old idea originating on Midland Railway vehicles. Note the word 'GUARD' below the patch.

Re the underframe, the battery box should be sat on the trussrods almost flush. The opposite trussrod carried a regulator box with plain lid (earlier regulator boxes had a raised 'X' in the lid)....

post-6680-0-55958900-1341518097.jpgpost-6680-0-13576500-1341518099.jpg

• Like 2