Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Start and complete a model in one week idea

Due to work I have had a very fallow modelling period for about two years, I have just changed my job and have gained two hours a day and have got my modelling Mojo back, having been into the modelling room in the loft to tidy up the workbench and check through many part built projects and wondering what one to drop on to.

This gave me the idea that we have seen many excellent models and projects started on this forum and then disappear off the radar. I have always thought it good to have small projects that can be started and completed in a short time.

Which brings me to an idea of a set time model that would have to be started and completed in one week, one day did seem a bit short as you would need to factor in painting and added transfers, a week seems a more relaxed period you could build quite a model if you did it full time, of just something simple if you can only manage a few hours, What needs to be factored is the model must be finished by the end date time, A loco could be possible, a wagon or building should not be a problem or maybe a layout but please don’t be too ambitious.

What do others think of doing this as a project on RMWeb.

David

• RMweb Premium

I love doing that, achieving visible gains in minimal time, I've done a few wagon projects over a week like that. Starting on say the Sunday, I'll dig something out, do a bit of work, pick it up again mid-week and then do a final finishing job the following weekend - often some of my favourite stuff have been the result of quickie projects!

I drew up a plan to build a P2 in just over one month. It may be longer than one week, but without shipping times (average 1 1/2 weeks) came in at an estimated 6 days.

I'm currently doing a 'layout in 3 weeks' project - all will be revealed soon :)

Edit: But your idea is sound - give people a few weeks notice to formulate an idea (or buy that kit + transfers) and off we go. Maybe first week of August, or wait until after the holiday season maybe?

I'd start with something simple and achievable, although it doesn't have to be a new project- something like a quick prep on existing stock such as cleaning wheels and adjusting/replacing pickups, or catalogueing magazine articles. I can't ever say I've been too impressed with the "This layout was built in a week on a Caravan holiday to Wales", next time try taking two weeks over it or undertake some improvements to it when you get home....

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if Black Country Blues needs this idea.....

...but, how about we build a whole rake( one each, obviously) of Airfix/Dapol 16t steel wagons & donate them ?

That way we'd each have contributed to the layout, making it a real RMWeb community layout?

( Feel free to shoot this idea down if it's too wacky !)

...but, how about we build a whole rake( one each, obviously) of Airfix/Dapol 16t steel wagons & donate them ?

That way we'd each have contributed to the layout, making it a real RMWeb community layout?

( Feel free to shoot this idea down if it's too wacky !)

Excellent idea, next thought though, is this a race/competition, or will it be a group build.

i.e. those with the experience guide and show others how to do it?

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

My thoughts were any model can be made, It just need to be finished in a short period, I have many unfinished models and a deadline is great for getting something done

David

David,

Sorry to have hi-jacked your thread -I'll take this idea over to the BCB area.

Stu

David,

Sorry to have hi-jacked your thread -I'll take this idea over to the BCB area.

Stu

Not at all, anything can be built it just needs a deadline of a week from the start of construction, you post a photo of the parts on here if its a kit and one week after you need to post a pic of the finished model, what happens with the finished model is up to you.

I wonder what the pecentage of models started as projects on RMweb we ever see completed not many I would think, The idea is is to get people to see a project through to the end without distraction.

David

..... see a project through to the end without distraction.

I'm afraid you'd have to count me out of this. I get distracted by anything that occurs to me when I'm in the middle of something. Hence the N15-to-S15 conversion got in the way of the Drewry "04", which itself got in the way of the ProtoDeltic.....

I'm in... I have just the job for his. Is there any particular start time or can we just go when we're ready?

At first I thought a dedicated week, but I think it would be better just to have the end date exactly one week from posting your start components photo to keep the thread rolling.

I am going to do something myself but won,t get some of the bits I need till next week

David

• RMweb Premium

What about picking up a set aside project that had previously been started ages ago and finishing it within one week? Loads of us have projects that have been started yet not finished and I have quite enough of these!!

Is a wagon kit cheating? :)

I recall an article in RM many years ago where an entire layout was built in a weekend. It was 009 and only about 4' x 1', but it is quite feasable!

- A simple softwood and Ply board (or foamcore using a hot glue gun) could be built in an hour or two

- A simple track-plan of 2-4 points could be laid and wired in a couple more hours

- Ballasting shouldn't be too tedious if it is small. Honest!

- Any civil engineering (walls, bridges, platforms) could be knocked up and painted fairly quickly if the layout is simple enough

- You'd have to be using ready-made or pre-built buildings and detailing parts as I reckon even building kits to a reasonable standard would blow the time...

- Basic landscaping doesn't take that long on a small layout.

Just to prove the point, check out this thread. So, anyone for the challenge?!

RMWeb Challenge 2013? I like it.

Which brings me to an idea of a set time model that would have to be started and completed in one week, one day did seem a bit short as you would need to factor in painting and added transfers, a week  seems a more relaxed period you could build quite a model if you did it full time, of just something simple if you can only manage a few hours,

Don't agree with your idea of "finished" though - paint, transfers have very little to do with it in my world - they are projects in their own right along with that murky concept - weathering. I guess that is the trouble, this hobby means different things to different folk.

On the other-hand, I probably have a few unfinished items that could fall into the "have yet another go" category, though they are probably in the scrap box for a good reason, and probably should be left to rot there.

It could take a week just to paint and letter never mind build. My teak finish gresleys get 3 coats of paint and a coat of varnish before tansfers and then another coat of varnish after. With drying time that is usually more than a week. Brass coaches also need a coat of primer and usually a couple of colour coats then varnish before lining and lettering. I have constructed the underframe for a NER luggage van this weekend but it will probably be more than a week before I can finish it.

RMWeb Challenge 2013? I like it.

Don't agree with your idea of "finished" though - paint, transfers have very little to do with it in my world - they are projects in their own right along with that murky concept - weathering. I guess that is the trouble, this hobby means different things to different folk.

On the other-hand, I probably have a few unfinished items that could fall into the "have yet another go" category, though they are probably in the scrap box for a good reason, and probably should be left to rot there.

Well to my mind finished does include painting and weathering, The idea of this was to choose a simple project that can be finished in a week, it may be just painting a figure or a simple wagon or constructing a model building the whole point is that a project is taken to the end, rather than get 80-99 per cent then put to one side, I thought that this Idea may just give the imputus to see things through, I don,t want to see excuses just finished models.

Maybe the mind set is yes I can do something rarther than its not possible

David

Maybe the mind set is yes I can do something rather than its not possible

We need to agree to differ on what is finished. But on the principle I do agree. Perhaps the individual starting out on the "project" needs to clarify their own start and end point. There is nothing wrong with, for example, building a brass kit starting with a box of etched parts and then reaching a finished (built but not painted or weathered) locomotive or wagon if that is the declared end point. To someone else it might be taking a RTR locomotive and repainting it in a different livery including transfers. Or many other projects. So yes the mind set is doing something from a start to a logical end. Rather than narrowing things down to what externally might be an impossible task or one the modeller has absolutely no interest in.

I like the idea of such a challenge but not if it is seen to be controlling and exclusive.

and although RMWeb Challenge 2013 was a bit tongue in cheek, I think it could well be as serious a candidate as any and perhaps gets us away from the shrinking layout of past challenges?

• RMweb Premium

I recall seeing a description by Peter Denny, recounting how he scratchbuilt one of his locos, an 0-6-0 tender loco, in exactly one week, including painting and lining. Perhaps it didn't have the same level of detail that we would put on a modern model but that included the frames and mechanism and making all the fittings, such as the chimney and dome.

It just shows what can be done.

I started this on Friday.......

post-1457-0-01950200-1341864039_thumb.jpg

and hope to have it finished within a couple more working days, including the operating mechanism.

Of course it helps that I earn a living from my hobby so a proper day job doesn't get in the way. I worked in a proper 9 - 5 job for many years but when I look back, it was just a waste of good modelling time..........

What about picking up a set aside project that had previously been started ages ago and finishing it within one week? Loads of us have projects that have been started yet not finished and I have quite enough of these!!

That still wouldn't work for me, because of the distraction factor.

It just shows what can be done.

I started this on Friday.......

and hope to have it finished within a couple more working days, including the operating mechanism.

Hmmmm... Your too quick for me. I've a feeling Rick may want to talk to you about them Signal Brackets. :)

Re: the earlier posting about multiple manufacture of 16 tonners. Three of us had exactlly the same idea back in January. A 25 + 2 Brake vans rake was needed for a Lancashire power station train. The Rules: 4mm, P4, Sprung or Compensated, Sprung buffers and Sprung Drawbars. Three of us can sort that out in no time.

How many Completed so far?...

Erm... NONE!

Porcy

Archived