Great West Road - transfers & I’m not talking football!

southern42

• RMweb Premium

The original factory belonged to Maypole Dairies so, in light of such wit that is found among these pages, has anyone an appropriate name  for mine (if I don't convert it to a maker of [rail] motors, first)?  Now, did any of those buses get shipped out by rail? I've only ever seen pics of them on the road.  In my Dad's day, a lot went abroad so they must have gone to a port somewhere.

The bit I should be modelling include the road(s) into the milk loading bay and the wall with the arched windows opposite the branch platform.  There are a few pics here:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/southall/index.shtml

Now, the SLIPPERY ROAD is the line down into the shed (see Britannia Video some pages back) but on mine it'll have to be the branch line. 

9642??

7649285934_1e6e238a48_z.jpg

For larger image:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/7649285934/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Yes,you've probably seen this one on here before.

Looks like I'll have to get one then - in BR black.  :locomotive: :D

Polly

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Otto Monstead was the first margrine factory on that site my aunt worked there in QC when she was a young girl so my mum said!.

Oooooh.  Someone else to add to the layout.  Maybe she could be checking the unloading bay with her supervisor - if they did that sort of thing. There seems to be quite a bit out there on the web about Otto Monsted and Maypole Dairy.  Good for a bit more research.

Thanks, 81C.

Polly

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.  Well the cat's out of the bag.  Ray's announced [on AndyP's Fiddlers Yard #202] my purchase of one of these:

5639572681_eb40eccae3.jpg
66503 'The Railway Magazine', Southall by looper23, on Flickr

Taken April 20 2011 on the main line.

Mine will be on the relief roads.

What I didn't mention, on my bit on last Saturday's Barrow Hill Live, was that I had been drooling over a Freightliner Class 66 at ScaleForum the following day....it hadn't gone unnoticed - someone mentioned "5 times!" :no: :no:  :no: :no: :no:

Well you've got to do something while you're other half is busy filling the goodie bags with P4 stuff.  :scratchhead:

Talking of Barrow Hill.

I took this...

post-14049-0-55112900-1380968021.jpg

So, Ray gave me this...

post-14049-0-83425100-1380968063.jpg

...for our wedding anniversary - I didn't know they had a train year... :locomotive:

post-14049-0-74712600-1380968166.jpg

post-14049-0-86167900-1380968136.jpg

GWRd 2011 is going to get mighty busy. I'd better get cracking with that track plan  :jester:

or even lay some track... . :mosking:

Polly

Edit: to add an aside

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Look what I've just found (quite by accident):

7003-Southall-1964-GE collection
Worcester-allocated Castle class 4-6-0 7011 'Banbury Castle' is turned at Southall 81C depot in 1964. She was withdrawn in the Spring of 1965 at Oxley depot and cut up at Cashmores, Great Bridge in May 1965. ©www.railphotoprints.co.uk - Gordon Edgar Collection - A. E. Durrant.

http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p608550011/e55ea8e98

p1441435288-3.jpg

Now I've got something to go on to model the '60s turntable - in action.

And nice neat row of houses (backscene if I choose to do one).

The photo also shows the ground falling away from the back to the front of the photo.

Polly

• Like 4

Sorry Polly, I have been very lax of late and haven't posted on here for a while, Its great news about the 66 and a whole FLEET of them will look and SOUND good lined up in GWR,

You can't have to many Sound fitted F/Liner 66's you know.

post-9335-0-53753000-1381524906_thumb.jpg

Bodgit :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning, Andy.  Good to see you on here and your layouts.

My Freightliner 66 has a special job apparently.  Ray tells me it pushed Tornado around at Southall.

Video on here when I find it.

Polly

• RMweb Gold

Way back you mentioned the branch to the docks I went down there on an enthusiasts special we did all the branches between Pad and Reading including squealing round the west curve at Slough. Brent Docks was fascinating and quite extensive. Proabably make an interesting model. I am rather with Bodgit time to get some track down.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Tornado has been at Southall for a while I went to Dartmouth behind him/her 4 weeks ago as a birthday trip it ran well till it got to Whiteball so it does need pushing. :senile:

We can only boast a short trip behind Tornado at Barrow Hill but it was great to see it down on the track.

When I first saw it in blue, when passing Crewe, it was a bit of a culture shock but it all seemed quite natural in the company of Mallard.

Sometimes, you just need to get the combination right.

So, some (modelling?) events:

2011 Britannia arrives in black; 2012 turns green

2011 Bittern goes off and comes back as Dominion of New Zealand.

2012 Tornado goes into the shed green and comes out blue.

Way back you mentioned the branch to the docks I went down there on an enthusiasts special we did all the branches between Pad and Reading including squealing round the west curve at Slough. Brent Docks was fascinating and quite extensive. Proabably make an interesting model. I am rather with Bodgit time to get some track down.

Don

I bunked on an Ian Allan special might have been the same one in Dons post which was going round all the west London branch lines fiirstly down to Brentford I was hoping to alight back at Southall  with no success I finally got off at Windsor and bunked back from there if my parents knew what I got up to I would have been black and blue for several weeks.

There are some great pics and info in the Branch lines of West London book of the dock, so along with all your details, it's truly magical.

The map of the dock is really revealing.  The transfer shed would be good for a section of it to model.  If you did the whole dock you could have the centre of the dock itself as the operator's 'hole' with tracks either side.  Would you need a really large room or N gauge?  Maybe a garden layout round the fish pond?

As to track - it's still a work in progress.  I know what I want [would like] but it's getting both ends to "look right," join up and look as though it'll work.  I'm looking at track plans, maps, photos and videos but with all sorts of foreshortening on one side and layout board restrictions on the other it's turning out to be a mighty interesting puzzle. Most enjoyable but also frustrating but I guess you've been there already.

Will post some progress soon.  I hope.  :yes:

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

A bit of info based on some of your earlier postings:

Don

I bunked on an Ian Allan special might have been the same one in Dons post which was going round all the west London branch lines fiirstly down to Brentford I was hoping to alight back at Southall  with no success I finally got off at Windsor and bunked back from there if my parents knew what I got up to I would have been black and blue for several weeks.

I was at a friends house last year he showed me a video of the Ian Allan charter which doesn't show you much apart from  the camera mans chums I sat and watch it all the way through I was hopping to see the young 81C even now I'm camera shy there way no sign of me.

It seems there were quite a few excursions on the Brentford branch line.  In Branch lines of West London the following get a mention:

Plate 25 Brentford Branch Special leaving Southall Shed, September 1981 : Single car

Plate 26 "Brentford Bard" (aka "A mid-summer's night dream") 22 June 1991 : Headed by 37682 and 37685

Plate 31 RCTS special passing the AEC Works, 1968 : 4 car

Plate 33 The same train (?)

Plate 36 The Locomotive Club of Great Britain and the Railway Enthusiasts Club joint tour 25 July 1965 : 0-6-0PT No. 977something

Plate 42 The RCTS "West London Rail Tour" 13 October 1956 - photo of Ex LMS 2-6-4T

0-6-0PT No. 977something

This turns out to be No. 9773 on the following sections of the Thames Valley Rail Tour

• Southall - Brentford Goods
  • Brentford Goods - Southall - West Drayton - Colnbrook - Staines West
  • Staines West - Colnbrook - West Drayton
  • West Drayton - Slough - Windsor & Eton Central

Other locos listed:

More details and pics here: http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/60s/650725lc.html

If you don't know this site, start here: http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/

I think that will keep me quiet for a bit, I don't know about you.  :mosking:

If you find the tour you did on there, if different from above, then do let us all know. 

The BR Day Excursions I remember (but not in the same year) were to Clacton, Teignmouth, Kingswear (one of the ships featured in the tv programme The Onedin Line was anchored in the river - highlight of my day, as I remember) and, lastly, Torquay which was hosting a yacht regatta.

Lastly, received Bachmann EWS 66135 this week.

66135 is seen on 6Z64, Hither Green - Brentford aggregates (at Cromwell Road) - link below:

http://gw86101.smugmug.com/Trains/UK-Trains-May-2011/17431759_Fxh2sP/1326205071_4ct5ZFH#!i=1326205071&k=4ct5ZFH

66 091 EWS Southall 2011_05_13 giving a an excellent view of the footbridge down to the yard.

It's views like this that are helping (and slowing down) the track plan .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_adams/5887525168/

Polly

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday, we went to Warrington MRE.  Really good this year.  Spent a while admiring Culm (EM, 13'x2'6") in GWR-BR transition and some of its rolling stock.

post-14049-0-63741600-1382274322.jpg

post-14049-0-42499300-1382273871.jpg

[post-14049-0-18814300-1382273899.jpg

Then onto Finger Post 2000 - I spotted a Shark or two! [And thanks to the kind operator who explained how it works.]

post-14049-0-01142500-1382311445.jpg

This preserved one on Flickr as I couldn't find one on the Didcot website

(http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/guide/wagons.html)

4309129178_3a13407dd8.jpg

though there is a photo of a china clay wagon

(http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/wagons/92943/92943.html).

A slight diversion there as my focus of attention was for EWS traffic suitable for the Brentford branchline 2011 - mine will have to carry the shorter wagons - Seacows and MEAs/MFAs.

And if you think I will never get that lot on my 12" board take a look at this - on Southern lines.

:secret:  and...er...my shopping list is getting longer - any suggestions most welcome!

So, while I leave you to get through that little lot - sorry, a short post next time, I think - I'm off to make a brew.

Polly

Late night edit after iphone recharge so that I could download photo of the Sharks on Finger Post 2000 (picture swap)

Edited by southern42
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Castle,

I shall have to look for info/pics of ballast Toads/Sharks for my branch, possibly.

Southall loco in 1963, maybe: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19516#p302204

Hi Andy,

I have 2 seacows I picked up at Warrington and Ray's had one kept by for me elsewhere.

I have a 66 ready and waiting, two if you count the English China Clay one!  Dare I use it?

Hi All,

I think there seems to be enough prototype activity from April 2011 for me to reflect WCRC and network branch movements for that period - with time suitably scrunched up to keep the action going.

With that in mind, I am gradually bringing together a plan to cover 3 consecutive periods: GWR, 1961-1965, modern times, so more on that later.

When that's done - and I'll put it to you first for your thoughts - I'll be in a better position to finalise a track plan. 

Polly

• RMweb Premium

I was just doing a spot of RTR research to see how viable April 2011 (with the help of other 2011 movements) will be to model when I had to do a virus check on the laptop for what looked like an intruder.  Nothing to report...PHEW!....but it encroached on most of the evening so I'm late on here tonight.

I'm currently looking at modelling Bittern doing it's Dominion of New Zealand thing.  Having considered various options, the easiest(?) route seems to be to do a rename/renumber job on Commonwealth of Australia 75th Anniversary edition, the LNER lettering on the tender can then be left alone and the silver line on the skirt is already there.  Having compared the full-size Bittern with the Hornby model I will also need to fit a double chimney - how to do it, below:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/29965-Hornby-a4/.

There's a slideshow of the completion of the full-scale morph at the bottom of this page:

http://www.rail.co.uk/rail-news/2011/great-britain-4/#images

If you know what else might need to be done, please say - noting degree of difficulty, perhaps.  :senile:

Nunney Castle (Great Britain Tour IV) may be a bit harder, British Railways being on the tender - my Tintagel Castle is a Great Western.  Tornado in Brunswick Green is still available and I have a black un-named Britannia 70000 and Sir Lamiel 30777.  Alfred the Great could get a makeover to provide Oliver Cromwell.

If I can get a C.of Australia - there are plenty about - I think something should be feasible.  Big step, because my original plan was to build GWR but there is so much exciting stuff documented around the Railway Centre I feel more comfortable in tackling it from this end.

Polly

• RMweb Premium

So, what goes on in April 2011?

In summary:

• Tangmere plays truant
  • Britannia goes on trial
  • Bittern's in disguise
  • Tangmere's side kick breaks down (37676 Loch Rannoch)
  • 47500 comes to the rescue
  • Alderman A E Draper turns up on the back of a lorry
  • Great Britain IV Railtour comes to town

What will April 1961, 50 years earlier, reveal, I wonder - apart from the magazine article?

Polly

Edit - change of word.

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

Well, I think I've finally sorted out a list of Southall locomotives allocated during April 1961 using brdatabase.info though there may be gaps but it's good for starters.  You will notice 8750 in brackets - an exception because it looks good in Branch Lines of West London working the yard at Brentford Dock in 1958 and is on my wishlist.  It went to Swansea East Dock 21/05/1960. 

April 1961: 11 classes and 60 locos of which I hope to build up a representative sample.  I shall make the assumption that they won't all be on shed at the same time so no need to stock the lot!  :mosking:
These will be added to by a few from later years mentioned in earlier posts.  I'm still waiting for Swithland Hall, donor for Willesley Hall.

So, for those who like to tick off their loco numbers, here's the list so far.

Class                  Number

14xx                             1474

15xx                             1501

47xx                             4707

57xx                             3618 3622 3659 8731 (8750) 8769 8770 9642 9726 9789 9791

61xx                              6110 6112 6132 6133 6149 6162

94xx                              8451 8456 9409 9413 9422

Hall                               4925 4945 4986 4995 5914 5925 5945

Modified Hall                   6967 6974 6991 7910 7923

Standard Class 9F          92207 92208 92224 92238 92239 92240

WD/8                             90174 90312 90355 90356 90466 90565 90630 90685

Class 08                        D3512 D3753 D3754 D3756 D3761 D3762 D3949 D3955 D3961 D4009

If you know of anymore feel free to post them on here, visiting locos equally of importance.

Polly

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Premium

And for those who like their DMUs, the one behind the pannier tank in October 1961 is still around.

2575873_5aacbef0_213x160.jpg
© Copyright Ben Brooksbank and
licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Southall 1979

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/5809388860/

Aylesbury in 2008

5631815743_c73c621ec9.jpg
960 010 & 977 858 by hugh llewelyn, on Flickr

Polly

Edit: and it's probably one I've ridden on.  Yipeeeeeeeeeeee...!  :locomotive:

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

Hi Polly,

The Nunney Castle livery should be ok - just remove the lining below the footplate and the British Railways in Egyptian Serif font transfers are available from Fox as are little Ws. The only other trick with her is that she has a tender that has been modified in preservation. This means a bit of work to the top deck as she has increased water and coal capacity. Pictures on line will reveal the differences.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Edit: and the obvious air pump on the running plate, the OTMR box on the back of the tender and the additional pipe work, air through pipe, air brake pipe and so on...

Oh, and the recent addition of the mechanical lubrication (I think this is slightly too late for your time period though).

Sorry - forgot those bits! She is one of the most modified Castles on the main line!

Edited by Castle

• RMweb Premium

Back to April 2011 - and the Great Britain IV Railtour..

Here's my excuse nah   :no:  I don't need an excuse for running a Castle into Great West Road but it would sum up the GWR nature of the layout.

Some great pics of Nunney (on the link below) but a smart looking First Great Western HST at Paddington soon brings you back into the present.  Nunney's presence at Southall is mentioned beneath the Paddington pic. The pics also include some interesting characters to model, too!

http://www.5029nunneycastle.co.uk/OUT_&_ABOUT_FILES/2011/GB4_042011/GB4_24042011.htm

Castle: Thanks for the info - sounds like I might need to call on the services of my Technician - and get out the how it works book again!  :yes:

I take it most of those extra bits are readily available. 

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Wow. That's a superb shot and in colour. Thanks, Dave.

And the others....well, what can I say?

My mind's already been working overtime...57s, 61s, 9Fs, Hall....and all that detailing from the ground up.

Well, I do hope everyone drops in to have a look.

Thanks again.

Polly