Great West Road - transfers & I’m not talking football!

southern42

• RMweb Premium

Andy and Duncan

Thank you for your kind comments.

The 6 road shed appears in the photo below.  Note the steam railmotor on Road 2.

http://www.railmotor93.org/shed/pictures/southall_01.html

I'm thinking of gluing matchboard plasticard back-to-back with 'wood' framework built to original diagram on the inside of the wall.

What I'd need to know for this bit is - would the inside be creosoted or painted?  I'm guessing the outside would have been kept creosoted.  I've been rummaging through my shed book to find some mention of this but to no avail so far. Found other interesting stuff though.  :D  Hence the late post.

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Thanks George, nice of you to say so.

I've just had another look at the framework of your loco shed. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65362-abbots-bridge-72g/&do=findComment&comment=872937

That's the sort of thing I'll be having a go at but a lot more of it and in 4mm, of course.  :O

Diagram on pages 120-121 in Great Western Railway Engine Sheds London Division.  Will try it out for size one day...In the meantime, I'll just digest and assimilate...

Polly

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly Treky fan too ?, member of the Borg!.

Shed looks good so it all systems go eh :senile:

81C

Ray's got the Borg boxed set.   smiley-character0081.gif

I'm more into.....  f_tardis.gif  filmed at the Gas Works, Southall for Series 7, 1970.

http://www.mentalis.co.uk/jon-pertwee/the-ambassadors-of-death.aspx

Will have to get some track under foot shed soon - work out where the TARDIS will go.  :jester:  :nono:

Nearly there with the track plan, I think, so long as the shed isn't too long!

There will be a slight change to the repair shop - only 6 lights stood above the shed.  The building's other 4 lights were lower housing internal offices.  Spotted this earlier this evening while looking at photos.

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Preview of Steam Gala at the (GWR) Llangollen Railway, Friday 19 April.

Steam Railmotor No. 93 with trailer No. 92 coming in for water.  First public outing together since restoration of No. 92 at Llangollen.
post-14049-0-93577300-1366668801.jpg

Polly

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

A great preserved line and I will visit again next time I am in Wales,

All the best with GWR

Bodgit

Yes.  We returned today and rode on the Class 108.

Well worth a visit or two....

Polly

Edit - added on, that is:

Friday, Class 64xx 6430 was running.

post-14049-0-53167000-1366672649.jpg

This evening discovered No. 6407 on the Shed Allocations for Southall 1948 (6407 being one of the new Bachmann 64xxs in GWR livery). 

Also, came across a photo of 72xx No. 7213 at Southall in 1960:

http://www.geoffbannister.com/tod/wr_steam/7213.jpg

So, two new locos I didn't think would have a place on Great West Road.  Just goes to show...

Edited by southern42
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm currently awaiting the arrival of a Southall DPU - Heljan's W55992.  Hope the GWR parcels car doesn't feel put out by it's BR counterpart.

Hi 81C.  Again, you do know how to tell 'em!

28xx without tender... er...um....will a 38xx do?  HAHA.  :nono: :nono: :nono:   Nah. I'll settle for a 72xx, anyday.  Unfortunately for Great West Road, the Didcot number is in GWR livery and no evidence it was ever on shed at Southall, unless someone can produce some, of course - still time while pre-orders last.  Otherwise it'll be BR 1960s.

I did a bit of a stock take this evening and was surprised to find I had more than I thought which is good news.  So hopefully, I'll have enough to run a reasonable schedule...er...move locos around - mustn't get above myself. :mosking:

To be fair, I am looking forward to some of these new locos as I originally thought they'd all be out of territory - good for the wallet, not so good for playing trains.  Now we know where the expression "shed load of money" comes from....

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Hi All.

Another teaser...

Photo of #7202 at Southall but is it on shed / in the goods yard / at the gas works....?

http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/archive/image.htm?img=DEW0229&jpg=DEW0229.jpg&srch=&page=28

Does anyone know this one?  I wasn't around in 1937...   :O ....not that I'm suggesting any of you were....no siree.... :no:

Polly

Edited by southern42

Hi All.

Another teaser...

Photo of #7202 at Southall but is it on shed / in the goods yard / at the gas works....?

http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/archive/image.htm?img=DEW0229&jpg=DEW0229.jpg&srch=&page=28

Does anyone know this one?  I wasn't around in 1937...   :O ....not that I'm suggesting any of you were....no siree.... :no:

Polly

And you think I was? :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

I may have a Birthday on Saturday but I am just a youngster, or should that read LUNESTER????? :stinker:

Bodgit,

The Didcot number is in GWR livery and no evidence it was ever on shed at Southall, unless someone can produce some, of course - still time while pre-orders last.  Otherwise it'll be BR 1960s.

Polly

Hi Polly,

If you look on the Heavy Freight Group's website, you will get the information you need. No. 7202s records are here:

http://www.baldric.plus.com/7202/7202repairs.htm

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Polly's latest acquisition making a flying visit for its photo before getting 'chipped' and no doubt a bit of weathering. That yellow panel and white roof is bright.

Arrived with a few bits floating around in the box but all easily refitted apart from a mystery screw. Looking at the schematic I think this is a cab retaining screw, will get refitted along with the decoder.

The new Heljan packaging is a backwards step IMO

post-11105-0-01689600-1366924555_thumb.jpg

Edited by tender
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly

In that photo the shadows tell my it's on the south side of the mainline it could be the west goods yard which is opposite the gas works, either behind the Lodging house by the station bridge or up by Scotts factory where they use to dump the crippled open wagons or the only other place it might be is the last road on the right hand side at the rear of the shed looking east.

When I checked my loco's I found a extra Grange and a Pannier I didn't know I had, I'm not sure if the other half brought it for me at Christmas a few years ago or not, it might even be my Daughter as she sneaks stuff in without the Boss finding out, modelling South Devon as I do the Grange come's in handy. 

81C

Looking at photos of 1938 where a couple of GWR wagons are in view, in Hawkins and Reeve, GWR Sheds London Division (pages 132 and 133) I wonder if 7202 could possibly be in the region of the coal stacks behind the (pre-BR) shed or, with what looks like grass in the foreground, on the road above the branch line, the photographer down on the bank looking up.

Maybe too fanciful?  And would those LMS wagons in the RCTS photo have delivered coal to the shed?  I know locos used different types of coal.

Hi Polly,

If you look on the Heavy Freight Group's website, you will get the information you need. No. 7202s records are here:

http://www.baldric.plus.com/7202/7202repairs.htm

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Hi Castle,

Yes.  I came across the website just before you posted and saw that it was 'one of yours'.  Interesting that the loco in the RCTS picture (July 1937) appears to have lost it's GREAT WESTERN lettering on the tank sides and not yet wearing the Roundel of 1938. 

I'm still in favour of getting the GWR version over the BR one, even if it transpires it wasn't actually at the Shed itself - I'm sure I can find a road for it if only because it has the Didcot number.  Favouritism?  Of course.  Looking forward to coming to have a good look at it.  :yes:

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

Now would I be rude to you?  Uh...huh....cough....splutter....   :king:

Delighted you like the Parcels Car, though once the diesel fumes start falling on the roof I doubt it'll stay bright white for long.  :haha:

When I checked my loco's I found a extra Grange and a Pannier I didn't know I had, I'm not sure if the other half brought it for me at Christmas a few years ago or not, it might even be my Daughter as she sneaks stuff in without the Boss finding out, modelling South Devon as I do the Grange come's in handy. 
81C

An extra Grange!  I'd be happy if I could get my hands on a single one (GWR) - the Hornby one will be Late BR.  Ah, well.

Polly

I liked the piccie of the 128 very much. I am very pleased with mine - although mine has just the speed whiskers. It's a beautiful runner - definitely one of my best, no question. As a kid I can remember looking down from the station bridge at Southall, onto the up parcels bay and seeing a 128 just purring away gently & just minding its own business. I guess that image stayed with me and that's why I wanted one. Aah, memories.........

Best to all

exmoordave

• Like 3

I liked the piccie of the 128 very much. I am very pleased with mine - although mine has just the speed whiskers. It's a beautiful runner - definitely one of my best, no question. As a kid I can remember looking down from the station bridge at Southall, onto the up parcels bay and seeing a 128 just purring away gently & just minding its own business. I guess that image stayed with me and that's why I wanted one. Aah, memories.........

Best to all

exmoordave

Was that the one with speed whiskers you saw as a kid? As if Polly needs an excuse to buy another one.
  • Like 1

It use to depart every evening Mon-Fri at about 5pm for I believe Paddington/Mount Vernon post office prior to the 128 a pannier with a full brake attached done the work, I remember the streamline parcels car as well on the odd occasion.

81C

She's got a Pannier, (no doubt the wrong one, so she'll have to get another), and the Streamlined parcels, but I'm not sure about the full brake.

• Like 1

Hi All,

The other combination that was reputedly used to haul a full brake when the GWR parcels diesel rail car was either broken or being overhauled was a 14XX. There is an account of this combination 'challenging' a King to a race into Paddington from Reading in one of the books I have and apparently it gave a good account of itself! It could be an apocryphal story but its a great yarn...

All the best,

Castle

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi All.

It's good to have so much comment from you all - just wish I could make things happen a bit quicker but I guess things find their natural pace.

If, like me, you've not come across this link before, there are more GWR(BR) goings on in the 50s and 60s, certainly enough to keep me going for a bit.

http://www.jaggers-heritage.com/staines.php

One of the links on this page (Staines & district buses.doc) mentions several 14xxs, railcars and parcels, Southall, Brentford, Didcot, ex steam railmotor (and photo), shiny  :sungum:  9Fs at Old Oak Common, and lots more.

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

The other combination that was reputedly used to haul a full brake when the GWR parcels diesel rail car was either broken or being overhauled was a 14XX. There is an account of this combination 'challenging' a King to a race into Paddington from Reading in one of the books I have and apparently it gave a good account of itself! It could be an apocryphal story but its a great yarn...

All the best,

Castle

...a tale of the hare and the tortoise?

And we all know who won!  :mosking:

Polly

• Like 1

...a tale of the hare and the tortoise?

And we all know who won!  :mosking:

Polly

I've also read about the little 14XXs showing the larger loco's a clean pair of heels. They might only have been small loco's, but the large diameter driving wheels gave them a decent top speed.

Edited by Kev_Lewis
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all.

A couple of hitches to sort out before I finish the shed mock-up including measurements that are a bit too precise for comfort.  A wee trim on the bracing piece to start with should help!

And now an early morning question to get that Saturday weekend adrenalin going.

With the Bachmann Shunters Truck being advertised - yes, now you know what's coming - can any one fill me in on their usage at Southall.  I only have one book on wagons (so far !!!) and these are new to me.

Below are numbers of those allocated at Southall.

Would the Bachmann version 'Loco Depot' be a reasonable substitute/appropriate for the 1960s?  Guess, I'd be really lucky to get one of those Southall numbers  :D  (well I had to stick in a smiley somewhere....)

[8-678 Bachmann GWR Shunters Truck number tba in BR Grey livery with 'Loco Dept.' branding]

41879  M1  1944 allocation

4965    M4  1944 allocation

94984  M3  1944 allocation

Full list at: http://www.gwr.org.uk/noshunters.html

I shall have to look out for combinations like this one at Didcot in the link below.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2951011

Any info or your experience of them will be most appreciated.

Polly

Hi Polly

One was used in the west yard upto the late fifty's/early sixty's till the "Gronk" turned up, Had a good laugh at the shunter one day he went to jump on the front step and the driver had put Gronk in reverse on the move shunter missed the step and ended up in the sh#te between the tracks when he got up he look like one of the Black and White Minstrels. :jester:

81C

Just to keep you all up to date: Branch lines of West London, Middleton Press, plate 45 - shunters truck spotted - now that I know what it is - behind No. 8750 (shed plate 81C) at the Shipping shed, Brentford Dock, 8th March 1958.

I can go and dish up the stew, now.  :nyam:

Thanks for dropping by.

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Hi all.

A few words on stocking Great West Road.

To stock Great West Road in BR days, I will be using the following list as the main guide since the inspiration belongs to the preservation of 1466 as raised in earlier posts on this thread and outlined in the link below.  Others will be added as they materialise.

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/visitor_information/gws.html

But since preservation remained a theme at Southall, some locos allocated to or visiting Southall up to 1965 will inevitably be included as the whim takes me – as you’ve probably already noticed.

post-14049-0-14596200-1367527683.jpg

Snapshot, April 1961 @ http://www.brdatabase.info/sites.php?page=depots&subpage=snap&id=486#

Next job will be to make loco length cards to lay on the trackplan to gauge operational feasibility.

Oooo.  That sounds a bit grand.  Not really.  Just infant flash cards to see if it'll work.

Sorry post is late again, but had problems importing the table.  Converted it to a jpeg in Paint in the end. Fun and games.

Oh. And don't worry - I wont need 59+ locos.  Great West Road (81G?) is a lot smaller than 81C and I suspect there will be many out on road - or put it another way - on my wish list.  :jester:

Polly

• Like 2