Great West Road - transfers & I’m not talking football!

southern42

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely nothing wrong with 59 locos, Duncan, but I'd also like to run GWR and WCRC sets...

Edited by southern42

Hi Everyone

I know this may be slightly(?) off topic, but it is linked to the GWS. One of the founders was a lad called Graham Perry (See Link above) and I've often wondered if he was the same Graham Perry I went to school with at Southall Secondary Technical School from 1959 to 1964ish. I remember he was also good at football & played at outside right!!

Again, apologies for the diversion, but if anyone knows it would answer a very old question for me.

With many thanks

exmoordave 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Exmoordave.

If this thread can bring (railway) people together as well as locos - brilliant! I guess, that's what it's all about.  :friends:

Let's hope you get some good answers.

Footie, anyone?  soccer-headball.gif

Polly

Hi Everyone

I know this may be slightly(?) off topic, but it is linked to the GWS. One of the founders was a lad called Graham Perry (See Link above) and I've often wondered if he was the same Graham Perry I went to school with at Southall Secondary Technical School from 1959 to 1964ish. I remember he was also good at football & played at outside right!!

Again, apologies for the diversion, but if anyone knows it would answer a very old question for me.

With many thanks

exmoordave 

Hi All,

What a shame I didn't see this earlier as I was chatting with John Barlow (the guy who sent the letter in to Railway Magazine that started it all) at Didcot this afternoon! I will try and make contact with him at some point and ask. I have also met Graham Perry himself as he is still an occasional visitor to Didcot. The last time (I think) I saw him was when the HST was named in the society's honour. The GWS' official photographer was around at the beginning too and he is a very frequent visitor to 81E so I might be able to ask him as well.

I will see what I can do for you Dave...

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks, Castle.
One of those coincidences, again.  Delighted you were able to respond.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of a story, 81C.  It seems we already have one in the making with you in it.

Maybe we should have an 81C (Shed) Day...???

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Hi All.

Got out one end of the track plan this afternoon, laid it down on the floor and plonked down the mock shed in its place.

To accommodate the extra length I inserted extra A4 sheets to move the turntable along.

The fun part then began - in AnyRail - trying to re-align the roads to fit.  :jester:

Not as easy as it looks!  

Daylight is fading so will have a go at a photo tomorrow.

Until then, enjoy the Bank Holiday.

Polly

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Happy Bank Holiday all.

Lovely sunny morning - just right for some natural light photography.

Shed from ground level, west end.

post-14049-0-10318100-1367829440.jpg

Some work is needed to rejig the roads but I do like the extra length.

Up to 9 big engines on shed roads, 18 or so tankies, or (more like it ) a good mixture of both.

In the real world they were also lined up on the roads to/from the turntable and the coal stacks to the rear of the shed which disappeared during WWII anyway, though I'm sure I'll get some in for the 1930s. :telephone:

Shed looking east.

post-14049-0-16815000-1367830078.jpg

Shed looking west.

post-14049-0-34808600-1367830130.jpg

And the obligatory bird's eye view.

post-14049-0-85951900-1367830162.jpg

I've not fully mocked up the repair shop yet - pretty obvious really with no roof and two nondescript supporting blocks.  When I've got hold of some metal wheels I'll be able to finish the lifting hoist kit and make sure everything fits or looks right.  I'm not assuming anything at this stage!

And no prizes for spotting the Southern (ghost) interloper on road four...come to join fellow Spam Can, Tangmere...(photo 23rd October 2011, flikr) for some Mainline stuff?

6295593634_aca479096f_z.jpg

Polly

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly, I like the way you've got the layout planned out at a decent scale....

I've given a "like" but have to say it's not for the Spam Can (there speaks an S&C man!!)  :O  :no:  :O

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks a nice layout Polly. Never mind the comments about Tangmere. We didn't see these at Reading so it was nice to see them when further afield.

Don

Hi All

Just wanted to say a big thank you to those who responded to my question about one of the GWS founders from Southall - Graham Perry ("251 above).  I shall keep my fingers crossed that some news comes back either way.

Many thanks once again & best to all

exmoordave

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I see that ugly old tin can (Tangmere) :jester: at Fleet Friday on it's way to Bristol in filty condition it disturbed my lunch I was sitting outside the pub when IT went past, I made the mistake of pointing out to a freind then other people started asking me questions about it :declare:

81C

81C, I must admit I wasn't that keen on them the first time I saw a picture of one.  Kinda grew on me.  I've still to see one out on the road though - I don't think static Winston Churchill counts especially as we only got to the see the front end of the boiler behind the barrier.  Plenty around.  Yes, big mistake, that, getting to engage with the rest of the world...especially on a Not topic.  

Anyway, hopefully, I'll soon be helping out with the 'Ace Train' on Camel Quay. :laugh:

Hi Polly, I like the way you've got the layout planned out at a decent scale....

I've given a "like" but have to say it's not for the Spam Can (there speaks an S&C man!!)  :O  :no:  :O

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff, though even with the track full size, I wasn't sure how the shed would look.  I was dreading it would look way too big for the board - never rely on the imagination.  ;) 

I will have to adjust the ends of the layout to accommodate the length, though.  

I'll also have to mock up the long railmotor shed at some point, too.

Spam Can card a bit of a tease.   I'll have to make some GWR loco and stock cards.  Beattie Well Tanks, N Class and Pill Boxes might not go down too well on here.  :jester:

Back after pudding.....

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Crumble...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Looks a nice layout Polly. Never mind the comments about Tangmere. We didn't see these at Reading so it was nice to see them when further afield.

Don

Thanks Don.  I just hope it works and fits on 3 x 4ftx2ft boards.

Spam Cans? All part of the (Luney)  banter.  :jester:

That looks fab Polly, cant wait to see the track go down!

Thanks, Neall.  Everyone has been so generous. 

What I plan to do for now is 'play trains' with card locos on the print out to work out movements and, possibly, some form of timetabling.

Hopefully, it'll start coming together now.

Hi All

Just wanted to say a big thank you to those who responded to my question about one of the GWS founders from Southall - Graham Perry ("251 above).  I shall keep my fingers crossed that some news comes back either way.

exmoordave

Hi exmoordave. Hope you get a result.

Keeo us posted.

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the compliment, George.  Trouble is, as I was knocking the shed up, I saw all sorts of things/problems to consider when I do the model proper.  I have a few ideas and will have to try out a few tests.

Polly

Polly

Just managed to catch up on the weekends posts on here.

I like the plan and depot buildings and interested to see it develop.

As for the Spam Cans, there's nothing wrong with them (as far as I'm concerned)

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Duncan.

It's reassuring that no-one has said to use a shorter shed.  Even when I decided to mock up the full length one, I thought I'd have to 'shrink' it.  I'm pleased that it seems to work though time will tell.

There was also the dilemma of the shed roof to consider - pre or post WWII? Northlight or temporary replacement?  Or  later still, Nationalisation rebuild?   Isn't the prototype wonderful?!?

Polly

Hi All

exmoordave

Hi Dave,

I haven't forgotten - I am still on the case but I haven't got to 81E recently to start poking my nose around for you due to being a bit busy at work but I should be able to sort something soon. Watch this space!

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Premium

Hi Penny

Winston Churchill was at Arlesford last year at a Gala Day next to it was some chaps on NRM stand flogging CoT's and their L.E.wagon sets I was going to ask the if I could clamber on the footplate they seemed so wrapped up in conversation I just go on and had a look round,then some "jobs worth" said you can't do that, I looked him in the eye and told him I was the owner he walked away looking deflated.

Winston Churchill was in a right state coming close to a barry scrap yard escapee I was suprised it was on display so you didn't miss much. 

81C

Not like this, then?

640px-34051_at_NRM_York_-_DSC07840.JPG

SR 21C151 (BR 34051) Winston Churchill in the Station Hall of the National Railway Museum, York. (wikipedia)

It wasn't like this when we saw it, hidden away in a dark dingy corner.  Maybe next time.

Hi Dave,

I haven't forgotten - I am still on the case but I haven't got to 81E recently to start poking my nose around for you due to being a bit busy at work but I should be able to sort something soon. Watch this space!

All the best,

Castle

I think we'll all be watching this space!  I like a bit of detective work....

Good Evening Penny,  Must say those cardboard shapes of the intended depot look the biz, 

George

Hi Polly I see you have been renamed, hhahahha

Coming on nice, hope to see you and Ray around again soon

Andy

Ah ha! It probably means I've reached my Heritage Years like 33029 Glen Loy and 33025 Glen Falloch renamed by West Coast Railways.  Should I get one or both to go with Jim Martin?   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Best wishes all

Lady Penelope

lady%252Bpenelope%252B%25252813%252529.j

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bulleid pacifics do seem to cause resentment among some enthusiasts. I suspect it is because there are rather a lot of them about. The Bournemouth main line was the last to lose regular steam working - which ceased with the new WTT 10.7.67 - and so quite a number of them were still in steam well into the growth years of the preservation movement. All other main lines into London had lost steam working several years before that, when fewer people had the notion of preservation, or at least were not combining to raise sufficient funds. So other companies tend to be less well represented by preserved express passenger locos. 

Bulleid pacifics numbered 140 examples - and I saw 139 of them, with 34055 Fighter Pilot being the escapee.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Bulleid pacifics do seem to cause resentment among some enthusiasts. I suspect it is because there are rather a lot of them about. The Bournemouth main line was the last to lose regular steam working - which ceased with the new WTT 10.7.67 - and so quite a number of them were still in steam well into the growth years of the preservation movement. All other main lines into London had lost steam working several years before that, when fewer people had the notion of preservation, or at least were not combining to raise sufficient funds. So other companies tend to be less well represented by preserved express passenger locos. 

Bulleid pacifics numbered 140 examples - and I saw 139 of them, with 34055 Fighter Pilot being the escapee.

Well, that will confuse newcomers to Great West Road coming in at the top of a new page.  :mosking:

Don't worry new GWRd visitor, just a temporary glitch.

Normal service will resume as soon as possible. :jester:

In the meantime, a view through the footbridge. 

5717495470_e55c3acec1_z.jpg

I'm collecting pics of the bridge for modelling - that is going to be one longggggggggggggg repetitious repetitious job and this is just the arm down to the depot...and a Spam Can.

Well, I guess they weren't called that for nothing but amazing only one got away from you, Ian, considering how much territory they covered.   Green with envy.

Hi Polly I see you have been renamed, hhahahha

Andy

Renamed?  Jjust like the prototype...?

Hmmm....57307 "Lady Penelope" Virgin Trains....

Well, I was thinking you could call me "M'lady" but on second thoughts I'll stick to "Polly" - kettles are much more my scene.  :locomotive: :D

So, back to things Great Western...  eye up some new locos...and tweak the track plan....  :sungum:

Polly

Edit.  Deleted a word - shouldn't have been there!

Edited by southern42
  • Like 3

Hi All,

Right, the plot thickens for you Dave...

Having chatted with the right person today, he told me that three of the first four GWS members were educated in the local Grammar School at Southall. This was John Barlow, Mike Peart and Angus Davies. Which sounded like bad news was coming but then my friend told me that Graham Perry did indeed attend Southall Secondary Technical School and the timespan you mention should give the required overlap to put you and him at the same school at the same time. However, the only bit that didn't tally was that he didn't think to the best of his recollection that Graham was a keen sports player... He will keep digging for us though!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1