Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Just as an 'aside', I've just realised that the 'real' 60163 has spoked tender wheels. Presumably they are easier to source from Markits than the disc type. :whistle:

P

Phil,

The real 60163 has spoked tender wheels because they were easier to manufacture than the disc equivalent. I was told this when I went up to Darlington to take pictures of the loco in preparation for my building of a model of her. I would have thought the opposite to be the case, but no.

Markits can supply either disc or spoked tender wheels (outside or inside bearing) with equal ease.

I am grateful Tony for your full response to my levity re a RTR Thompson Pacific. At least we know where we are and the A2/3 will slip quietly to the back of my mind now. I have been following your account of the Peppercorn A1, and this in turn has sown a seed concerning a Bachmann model. I used to visit Leeds to see these beautifully balanced designs and so, using the modellers licence card, there is no reason why one could not have been trialled over Standedge in early BR days on Newcastle-Liverpool workings. The idea is definitely growing on me fuelled by your photos....  :imsohappy:

Good idea Larry, and why not? Though I have no actual evidence of West Riding or NE--based A1s working across the Pennines to Manchester or Liverpool, at times they could be seen on the WCML between Crewe and Glasgow, and to Edinburgh via Carstairs, and on the Settle and Carlisle, and on the G&SWR to Glasgow. 60114 worked a special through Preston once and at least one A1 was seen at Birmingham New Street on a NE-SW working. So, there appearances on former LMS lines is well-documented. I wouldn't be surprised if one got to Manchester by one route or another. Their appearances at Sheffield have been noted, so who knows? As you say, modeller's licence. I'd use it in this case.

• Like 2

Guest 2750

I think the 60114 run to Preston, was an illuminations special that ran through to Blackpool....1964 rings a bell. Only time an A1 visited Blackpool.

Interesting info re the Thompson A2/3 etc , a great shame if Tonys observations remain true. I appreciatte the costs involved, but I still think the A2/3 would sell well . Good sales of Bachmann Thomson Corridors may help in due course. (if they stay at the right price for punters of course).

Judging from ebay anything in Pacific form in  either LNER  or BR green holds its price and therefore sells well.

Hornby version? who knows?, time will tell if we all last that long  :jester:

Who ever thought a Thompson O1, L1 and Suburban stock would have ever appeared.

I think the 60114 run to Preston, was an illuminations special that ran through to Blackpool....1964 rings a bell. Only time an A1 visited Blackpool.

The turn you're thinking of took place on September 28th 1963 with a Gainsborough MRS special. The local fraternity were literally gobsmacked when she appeared through Skew Bridge on the down slow (no internet grapevine in those days of course).

She reappeared on the up slow tender first later in the afternoon en route to Lostock Hall shed for turning and servicing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Tony has an unpainted A1.  Coach is a top class painter of railway models. Loco sorted for the Standedge area (Greenfield, is that your layout Coach?) I should think.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

Even today's natural daylight wasn't enough to solve my problems in trying to take better pictures of that A2/3, partly in bare cream-coloured resin and partly in satin black. Neither in full sunlight nor out of it could I con the auto-exposure control into adopting a setting that neither burnt-in the resin areas nor left the black ones looking too dark. I didn't have further time to mess around so here are the best views I managed.

I didn't notice that the front vac pipe had fallen off until too late, this being only push-fitted at this stage to leave freedom for painting, ditto the front coupling - the pipe is safe rather than lost. The superstructure and running plate are still separable for access too. Those chunky grey plastic front steps are amenable to exchange for better ones should they be available, being pinned and fairly sparingly glued in place rather than bonded by a mass of epoxy, yet they are, nonetheless, firm. Obviously, I haven't glazed the cab prior to painting, and its furniture is simply push-fitted into holes in the floor. The original fiddly loco-tender drawbar remains, but I imagine that will soon be dealt with by the owner. I didn't take the electric lighting gear off the rear of the tender. I thought I was going to offer a clever body-swap option for the tender to obviate the need to remove the lighting gear, but when I looked at the spare that I remembered having, it is exactly the same version. Oh well, can't win 'em all......

post-3445-0-91394000-1400691626_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-02606000-1400691575_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Tony has an unpainted A1.  Coach is a top class painter of railway models. Loco sorted for the Standedge area (Greenfield, is that your layout Coach?) I should think.

P

Nice thought but could I afford it...........?   And yep, Greenfield is my layout. Incidentally, this 'top class' painter eventually reached the stage where he could not stand to paint another loco, hence a new way was found of earning a crust   -   coaches.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice thought but could I afford it...........?   And yep, Greenfield is my layout. Incidentally, this 'top class' painter eventually reached the stage where he could not stand to paint another loco, hence a new way was found of earning a crust   -   coaches.

Just thought that if you painted it you wouldn't have to pay that much for it?  I'm sure TW (and me) can sort something out?

P

Edited by Mallard60022

As I currently understand it, the A2/3 is to be 60515 Sun Stream as per the photo I was given for guidance on the details.

I suppose I should also confess that I've not added the twiddly oil pipes and anti-carbonisers low on the smokebox sides, but I know a man who makes a very good job of adding such details.

As I currently understand it, the A2/3 is to be 60515 Sun Stream as per the photo I was given for guidance on the details.

I suppose I should also confess that I've not added the twiddly oil pipes and anti-carbonisers low on the smokebox sides, but I know a man who makes a very good job of adding such details.

If it's the one I think it is, then yes, it's the filly which won the Oaks and 1000 Guineas in 1945. She was the last of the class to have the front numberplate high up on the smokebox door - up to 1958 I think and also had the earlier BR totem up until then. A splendid job, by the way, Graeme.

Anyway, enough for the moment about LNER post-Gresley Pacifics, though I don't think that BORDERER will be going far beyond the borders of South Kesteven.

Today I've been photographing some of the latest stuff from Bachmann, full reviews of which will be appearing soon in BRM. I think it all looks rather good.

post-18225-0-26558000-1400785332_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-70090300-1400785336_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-86959200-1400785341_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-85019800-1400785347_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 8

Two question I hope someone can answer....Does this mean the Bachmann C Class will be back in the shops soon? Is the Bachmann 'Tornado' a standard A1 moulding or is it 'cut down' as per the newly built loco?

Edited by coachmann

Two question I hope someone can answer....Does this mean the Bachmann C Class will be back in the shops soon? Is the Bachmann 'Tornado' a standard A1 moulding or is it 'cut down' as per the newly built loco?

Only difference on the Bachmann Tornado is the tender - for which they tooled up spoked wheels and a new tender body to match Tornado. The rest is standard Darlington A1 tooling.

Only difference on the Bachmann Tornado is the tender - for which they tooled up spoked wheels and a new tender body to match Tornado. The rest is standard Darlington A1 tooling.

Which in many ways makes the Hornby fully-decorated model the better, despite its having moulded-on handrails on the cab and tender and no glazing. It is cut-down, has circular keeps to the Cartazzi and tender axle boxes, the whistle is on the fireman's side (though neither model has the chime whistle inside the off-side deflector) and it only has one mechanical lubricator. It is an actual model of TORNADO, not a BR production A1 numbered and named as such. 

I was quite liking that 'C' until I saw the dirty great slot in the firebox.

It is a trifle unfortunate, isn't it? I assume it is the consequence of an unimaginative / invariable policy regarding motor types and drive layouts.

It is a trifle unfortunate, isn't it? I assume it is the consequence of an unimaginative / invariable policy regarding motor types and drive layouts.

Design clever gone wrong or they simply are saving pennies (theirs not ours)  :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

It is actually a slot for the key, having now been simplified to a clockwork drive for cost saving reasons.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Of course you saw it flying round, semi-nude last week.

Finish it, and we'll run it on LB next time you visit. 

Thank you ... lots of weathering and umpiring getting in the way of kit building at the moment ... but ...one less to weather..

post-7650-0-55421800-1400845052_thumb.jpg

Bachmann body(not sure?) on etched chassis built and painted by Graham Varley...

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 4