Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Another splendid day spent with a like-minded friend, in this case Graeme King - he of the ingenious resin/etched conversions.

post-18225-0-44524300-1401385458_thumb.jpg

He delivered the A2/3 he's done for me (the result of horse-trading). I'll finish the painting, number and name it (as 60515 SUN STREAM) and weather it. It really is a remarkable conversion and extremely effective.

post-18225-0-16793600-1401385446_thumb.jpg

He also brought along his own, first such conversion, and this is the model I took to show Bachmann. As a result, if you want an A2/3 and you don't want to kit or scratch-build one, then this is your only route.

post-18225-0-01195300-1401385469_thumb.jpg

An iron ore hopper also appeared from his bag of goodies. I'll leave Graeme to describe what it is and what it's for when he gets home.

post-18225-0-03510900-1401385485_thumb.jpg

Finally, the ever-inventive chap showed me this resin-bodied V2 running on a new Bachmann V2 chassis. The body and painting is all his own work and it's a great improvement on Bachmann's porcine and slightly awkward V2 body. He left one with me to have a go at. I'll report accordingly......

• Like 16

Guest 2750

Liking the coaches behind the V2. All of modified/resin type Graeme?

Edited by 2750

Lovely photos as ever Tony. Having got home safely, unpacked, cooked, eaten, showered and checked through e-mails for anything urgent, it feels a little late to begin commenting more extensively this evening on another very enjoyable visit to Little Bytham, but I'll return afresh to the keyboard tomorrow.

Thanks as always for the hospitality. I'm pleased and relieved that the A2/3 behaved itself.

Edited by gr.king

Well it took me a little longer than I had hoped to get back to the keyboard, but here I am.

Save for some RCH springs/axleboxes/w-irons and most of the brake gear, which are fairly visibly adapted from a sprue of parts from a commercial kit manufacturer, that iron ore hopper wagon pictured above is scratchbuilt largely in plastic sheet and strip following a site visit to measure and photograph a possibly unique largely intact example of one of the Appleby-Frodingham peak-ended all steel 20 ton hopper wagons. These were used in fair numbers for the movement of ore from High Dyke to Scunthorpe (and in other places) and were of specific interest to me because they are ideally suited to a 1938 iron ore empties train at Grantham (I have involvement with such a layout)and their pre WW2 presence in Lincolnshire makes them usable (with licence) on my own layout. I'm generally interested in local LNER history anyway. The model dismantles into parts that I believe will be capable of multiplication via some cunning mould making and resin casting. My own desire for some of these wagons will be serviced first. I may of course be obliged to let Mr "Robert the Bruce" Grantham have some of them too, and I owe a debt of gratitude to the Appleby-Frodingham Railway Preservation Society for assisting me in gaining access to the surviving wagon, so I really ought to supply some wagons for their developing OO layout. If the mould remains in good order beyond the servicing of those needs (and a couple for one individual who made an early request) and if I have time to cast more parts, then I might be able to offer them more generally. Only time will tell. I also have to sort out a means of applying suitable Appleby, or Frodingham, or Appleby-Frodingham (United Steel Companies) branding to the models, so I have the odd challenge to meet.....

That resin-bodied V2 is a product of my dissatisfaction with the Bachmann body, my impatience with Bachmann's failure to re-tool the thing, the need for an "early batch" V2 for Grantham, and it was quite a suitable means of trying out a long standing urge to have a go at moulding a whole loco body in one piece. I produced a limited batch of bodies very recently to suit established friends and acquaintances with similar modelling interests. I might produce some more of them after the summer, unless Bachmann's July announcements render further resin bodies unnecessary.

As Tom (2750) suggests above, the teak coaches are old Hornby Margate examples "glorified" into cheap generic rather than specific models of pre-group GNR coaches by means of new roofs and/or ends cast in resin, along with some surgery to the sides and underframes, including new Fox bogies on a couple of them. A brushed-on two or three-layer mock teak finish with pale yellow bow pen lining adds to the subterfuge. Once again, these were coaches that I fancied anyway but which serve Grantham's needs too.

Many thanks Graeme for elaborating on the hopper wagon and the V2

post-18225-0-69439600-1401534915_thumb.jpg

I've started the completion of the A2/3. The extra wiggly pipes have been added and patch-painting (by sable) has begun. The cab/back of firebox has had two coats of a mixture of Railmatch BR green and GWR post-1928 green (the BR green is a bit too light, the GWR too dark - this is not to criticise the colours, but to match the Bachmann green). At least three more coats will be required for coverage, for the paint is not very opaque. Two coats of Humbrol No. 85 Satin Black have proved sufficient for the rest, as has one coat of Signal Red for the buffer beam. Because this loco, as one of York's rather scruffy allocation, will be heavily weathered the slight discrepancies in the paint finish will not be finally noticed. Though the colours aren't far off, the parent green is more satin and the new green more matt. This does have an effect on the colour perception.

The chassis modifications done by Graeme are most ingenious and effective - I recommend them, for they're within the reach of the determined beginner in my opinion - as too are the body mods. Naturally, I've replaced the poor bogie wheels. 

post-18225-0-31831700-1401534930_thumb.jpg

Does this mean I can multi-task, for here's the next bit of the Jamieson V2? The first picture showed my plotting the positions for the brake cross-rods, but here the frames are jigged up and the first spacer (just visible at the front) has been soldered in. You need an iron with plenty of punch (mine's 70 Watt for this type of job) because the frames are one sixteenth thick, as are spacers. No bearings? No need! The Comet 'box is made-up and ready to subsequently fit. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 4

I'm now kicking myself Tony owing to a belated and now therefore probably useless thought. Humbrol 195, which is of course a good opaque paint, is often a very near match for Hornby's version of BR green at least. It would have made an excellent base coat for the cab, over which you could have applied a "toning" layer of the more transparent Railmatch colours so as to emulate the Bachmann shade. In fact you might even have been able to select another Humbrol colour to mix with the 195 in order to get a match close enough to suffice on a weathered loco.

Edited by gr.king

Another splendid day spent with a like-minded friend, in this case Graeme King - he of the ingenious resin/etched conversions.

attachicon.gif60512.jpg

He also brought along his own, first such conversion, and this is the model I took to show Bachmann. As a result, if you want an A2/3 and you don't want to kit or scratch-build one, then this is your only route.

If I may, the above locomotive is not the prototype for the resin conversions. I own the prototype  :)

post-1656-0-40281100-1401625149.jpg

Graeme produced this one for me as the very first Thompson conversion - around 2011 I think Graeme (I may be wrong?)

As befitting the prototype, I subsequently named and numbered it 60500 Edward Thompson. It is much further along than the above photograph indicates, as it is now fully lined out and numbered. It hasn't been photographed more recently as it was put into storage when myself and the now ex-missus starting packing up to move in together in 2013.

I shall right that wrong and get it out to bring up with me to Little Bytham.

May I add - doesn't Graeme's V2 put Bachmann's recent efforts to absolute shame? You don't fully appreciate the big change that boiler makes until you see the model in a natural setting. Put alongside a standard Bachman Green Arrow I think Graeme's would make the latter look quite toylike. It's a shame as I think the new chassis is rather good in its own right. 

Anyway, another day, another project. In an attempt at shifting depression, I've been through my piles of dusty boxes containing kits and bits, some of which have not seen the light of day since the last century. My intention is to build the things, starting with the following (pictured below). The kit dates from the '60s and I'll be making it over the next few weeks. Obviously, it's no longer available but its like can be found in even more yellowing boxes on the more obscure stands at shows..............

attachicon.gifDsc_7494.jpg

As featured in the very first Model Railway Constructor I bought. The February 1967 issue, bought from Smiffs at Waterloo station on my first teenage spotting outing to The Smoke.

BTW, I'm convinced I saw a BR double-arrow under a layer of grime on the side of a WC tender that day. Maybe it was graffiti?

The Nim.

Unless I take some better pictures later, these are the best I can offer by way of "direct" comparison of side views. Firstly the factory body as in the 1990s (and I'm not sure it is much different today) versus the master for the new body in grey primer, then below those the new model still awaiting cab glazing plus bits of firebox and bracketry below running plate level. A set of Comet valve gear too might be a good move.

post-3445-0-28565900-1401634043.jpg

post-3445-0-27721600-1401634080.jpg

Come on now Simon, it's time you put the missing lining on that model of Edward Thompson. It's quite true buy the way, Simon got the first loco by virtue of being brave enough to offer his A2 up as a guinea pig - it could all have ended in tears, but fortunately I hadn't bitten off more than I could chew.

• Like 4

Come on now Simon, it's time you put the missing lining on that model of Edward Thompson. It's quite true buy the way, Simon got the first loco by virtue of being brave enough to offer his A2 up as a guinea pig - it could all have ended in tears, but fortunately I hadn't bitten off more than I could chew.

Oh it does have the lining out now Graeme - but it is currently in storage. This was the most recent photograph I could find…! I will dig it out and get some photographs of it soon.

• RMweb Premium

As featured in the very first Model Railway Constructor I bought. The February 1967 issue, bought from Smiffs at Waterloo station on my first teenage spotting outing to The Smoke.

BTW, I'm convinced I saw a BR double-arrow under a layer of grime on the side of a WC tender that day. Maybe it was graffiti?

The Nim.

I think it would have been one of the NE Merchants; I seem to remember seeing something similar at Weymouth Shed June '67, just before 'the end'. It was 'Depot graffiti' :nono:

P

Oh it does have the lining out now Graeme - but it is currently in storage. This was the most recent photograph I could find…! I will dig it out and get some photographs of it soon.

I assume the boiler cladding bands were altered (obviously they have been) - one fewer than on the Bachmann A2 boiler. How were the witness marks removed, because I cannot see evidence of the old bands at all. It looks very good indeed. I assume you did that, Simon. 

I assume the boiler cladding bands were altered (obviously they have been) - one fewer than on the Bachmann A2 boiler. How were the witness marks removed, because I cannot see evidence of the old bands at all. It looks very good indeed. I assume you did that, Simon. 

No no - all Graeme's work Tony. I will try and find the appropriate page on the LNER forum for you this evening when I return. The only thing I have done since Graeme touched it was add the nameplates, numbering and lining out. It was entirely Graeme's handiwork and I consider one of - if not his best - work. The most convincing A2/3 I have seen in apple green in any event.

I should perhaps have added the caveat that I had completely forgot about Mick's excellent apple green versions (which in terms of livery are far more convincing than mine by virtue of me never having entirely finished the job I intended to do some years back!)