Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

I ought to be a member, Tony, but I'm not (yet). I'm terrible at maintaining my subscriptions, and already being a member of two S&D societies, the NMRA, the RSPB and the British Interplanetary Society (!) I sometimes feel enough is enough. But it does look to be a well-run organisation.

Being married to a French woman, I need to be circumspect in my comments on the subject of national habits. However, I did once see a gentleman urinating into the back of an open-topped sports car near Gare du Nord. Presumably not his own car, although who knows? Perhaps it had let him down in some way.

Nothing will compare with the sight that greeted me when I turned a corner near Edinburgh Waverley a few years ago. Suffice to say a woman was squatting down in the street fully engaged in "the other function", as Barbara Woodhouse would have put it.

Al

You may find this site of interest:- https://lapassiondutrain.blogspot.co.uk/ . It's mainly current shots around the Hazebrouck area, but other stuff finds its way on there.

Regarding the French male's propensity to pass water against any upright object; the signallers at Lyon Perrache were alarmed, early one morning, when a freight train stopped on a through road didn't move when the signal cleared. Eventually, a member of station staff called to tell them that the driver had been arrested for public indecency; he'd taken advantage of the closed signal to descend for a pee against the wheels, only to grabbed by two members of SUGE (French transport police, and possibly the inspiration for the Vogon Guard) who had taken exception to this.

• Like 2

What is the first carriage behind the B12/3? It appears to be an Eastern Region Buffet Car of pre-Grouping origin - Great Eastern?

Stephen,

As Jonathan has stated, it's a D&S kit for a GE RF. The prototypes were built prior to WW1, were rebuilt (in part) by the LNER and (some were) re-rebuilt by BR. One ended up on the M&GNR. 

I built it to represent the catering car in the Leicester, which was attached/detached at South Lynn, only travelling to/from the west of that junction in the train. Before the closure of the M&GNR avoiding line at Spalding, it would always have been at the rear of the train. Post-closure, after reversal at Spalding Town, it would end up at the front going west. It would also be at the front going east, until Spalding. It's listed as a 'Buffet' in my train working diagrams, though there's evidence it would have still been branded 'Restaurant Car'. The few pictures I have of the car in this train are in tight perspective, and the branding, though illegible, is short and only one word; so, I might be right. The one in the latter day North Country Continental was branded 'Restaurant Car', but was unclassified by then.

Its build featured in my Crowood book. 

post-18225-0-61642900-1522335600_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-66681900-1522335618_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-99002000-1522335634_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-82042800-1522335655_thumb.jpg

It is a beautiful kit. I've seen another, beautifully-built by Chris Trafford for use on his South Town layout. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 15

Sir I must protest at the insinuation that my home town of Ipswich which is where your DMU is going is absurd! It does have some de merits like all places but absurd it is most assuredly not!

Lovely pictures again thank you. One facet about all the pictures of LB you have shown us is a consistency as to colour and texture and subject matter. It really is a great layout in the total scheme of things. If only (sigh!)

Martin Long

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's great work, Al, 

Thanks for posting. 

With your interest in French HO, are you a member of the French Railways Society (formerly The SNCF Society)? The reason I ask is that I'm delighted that there's a selection of pictures I took of French railways in 1978/'79 now on the Society's website. We had a couple of holidays in France at that time (one touring, the other in Paris), and I took dozens of slides. On showing a friend, who's a member of the Society these slides, he asked if he could have them scanned. Apparently (in all ignorance) I'd taken some unusual subjects, including a 'Submarine' hauling a 'Rapide' at La Rochelle and one of the first shots of a brand new diesel type. There were also some pictures of some incredibly ancient 'boxy' electrics, dating from the 1920s, right at the end of their lives. 

During the two visits, I only met two other blokes taking railway pictures, and both were English. One shot not scanned was at the Gare de Nord, where, when taking a shot of an electric-hauled rapide awaiting to depart, I was blissfully unaware of the chauffeur pi$$ing against the buffer beam! With hundreds of passengers around. Is that typically French, I wonder? 

In the interests of international railway linguistic pedantry I direct your attention to the UIC  'Lexique Genéral des Termes Ferroviaires'.    

Item 2119  French language term 'chauffeur' (de locomotive) = English translation  'locomotive fireman'.

Item 6774 French language term 'mécanicien' (de locomotive) = (UK) English translation 'engine driver'

• Like 3

Sir I must protest at the insinuation that my home town of Ipswich which is where your DMU is going is absurd! It does have some de merits like all places but absurd it is most assuredly not!

Lovely pictures again thank you. One facet about all the pictures of LB you have shown us is a consistency as to colour and texture and subject matter. It really is a great layout in the total scheme of things. If only (sigh!)

Martin Long

My apologies, Martin,

The absurdity is in a service to Ipswich stopping (or even going through) Little Bytham in 1958, but you knew that already. 

My most grateful thanks for your last comment. The colour is particularly important, and I chose a camera which does not produce vivid and garish colours. It's an English summer depicted after all, and, though the following year (1959) was as hot (if not as long) as 1976's dry spell, my recollection of 1958 is of it not being that bright; indeed, the end of term cricket matches were cancelled because of rain! 

One thing which pleases me greatly is how all the contributors' work is homogeneous. The overall standard of modelling is entirely consistent, with nothing standing out as being so high a level as to put other work in the shade and (perhaps more importantly) nothing standing out as being so shabby as to let everything else down. 

Of course I've been fortunate in having a splendid team build it, and I know I wouldn't have swapped any of that team for anyone from another. I suppose one might call it 'exclusive'; very different from many club layouts which are inclusive (and less selfish?), but I knew what I was after, and how would you tell anyone that their work was not up to scratch in a club project? In this respect, I admit to some hypocrisy, because I'm always advocating folk having a go for themselves, not matter how 'humble' the result. I just didn't apply that level of being 'inclusive' to Little Bytham's building. That said, the work of a schoolgirl (Ellen Sparkes' gardens) is there entirely on merit. 

As I've said before, what's most appealing to me (as the son of a Yorkshireman!) is that most of it has been achieved by that wonderfully old-fashioned method called bartering. You can't beat it!  

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

Somewhere, I have a photo in a book, showing that Restaurant/Buffet car in a train at Yarmouth Beach. I believe it is the same one, I remember looking at the photo around the same time that you were building yours.

Stewart

Thanks Stewart,

That's interesting. What time period would the picture be, please? 

In the workings I've got, the catering car came from Kings Lynn and was attached at South Lynn to go westwards in the Leicester. Was there another service which had a catering car on the M&GNR? Was the vehicle branded 'Restaurant Car'? 

All fascinating stuff. 

Regards,

Tony. 

It's stationary, so the nasty, over-bright lamps don't illuminate. 

If you take this apart and paint over the LEDs with thinned black paint, it will dim them down, whilst still allowing their illumination to come through to a more realistic level. I've done this on several of my N gauge 101s with great improvement, as the LEDs there really were too bright - in daylight they should be barely visible.

Cheers,

Alan

• Like 1

... .

They got the balance right, I have not seen the trench railway layout, but they too could have to me, if they follow the historical accurate route.

Richard

Pen & Sword, book-publishers, have published at least one book about the WW1. 'Behind the lines.' light railways.

From memory of the review at least one such rly. was still in use until the 1950s. and used to move farm-produce from the farms to the factories for processing..

So such rlys. served in peace as well as war.

As for feeling squeamish about such behind-the-lines & light rlys. and their uses during war-time one might ask 'What about the use to which Britain's main lines were put to move men, munitions, hospital trains, POWs. and so on and so  forth?'.

At least these behind-the-lines rlys. freed-up men for other and more military employments and probably saved a good many draught & pack animals, too,  thus bringing the war to an earlier and more satisfactory conclusion.

:locomotive:

• Like 1

Pen & Sword, book-publishers, have published at least one book about the WW1. 'Behind the lines.' light railways.

From memory of the review at least one such rly. was still in use until the 1950s. and used to move farm-produce from the farms to the factories for processing..

As for feeling squeamish about such behind-the-lines & light rlys. and their uses during war-time one might ask 'What about the use to which Britain's main lines were put to move men, munitions, hospital trains, POWs. and so on and so  forth?'.

At least these behind-the-lines rlys. freed-up men for other and more military employments and probably saved a good many draught & pack animals, too,  thus bringing the war to an earlier and more satisfactory conclusion.

Are you thinking of the Nocton Estates Light Railway?  Built with war surplus equipment, it was one of the largest systems, and was in the Nocton-Dunston area of Lincolnshire.  Some of the equipment was salvaged for use on the Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway.  Oakwood published a comprehensive history of it and other potato railways.

post-149-0-22960200-1522409713.jpg

Talk of railways behind the lines got me into action to copy this picture.

The grandfather on the German side was an artist and he painted pictures on his travels through Europe.

This included during WW1.

The date must be 1917/1918 as he was further east until mid1917.

As aircraft had a limited range at that time they were often taken nearer to the front line by train.

Sorry for the quality as it is just a snap shot and the painting is behind glass.

It is the only railway scene I have found amongst his paintings.

Bernard

• Like 15

Are you thinking of the Nocton Estates Light Railway?  Built with war surplus equipment, it was one of the largest systems, and was in the Nocton-Dunston area of Lincolnshire.  Some of the equipment was salvaged for use on the Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway.  Oakwood published a comprehensive history of it and other potato railways.

Thank you for your informative reply..

But in answer to your question my reply is "No.",  The Pen & Sword book was most definitely about the behind-the-lines rlys. in France;  memory suggests that it was the first of a proposed series of such books.

See today's, 02 April,  posting with further info. about a couple of pertinent books.

Edited by unclebobkt

But in answer to your question my reply is "No.",  The Pen & Sword book was most definitely about the behind-the-lines rlys. in France;  memory suggests that it was the first of a proposed series of such books.

I believe that there were several sugar beet railways in Northern France / Belgium that had their origins in WW1 NG trench railways.

Eg. http://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/tales/francetales03.htm .

Regards,

John Isherwood.

https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Allied-Railways-of-the-Western-Front-Narrow-Gauge-in-the-Arras-Sector-Hardback/p/7842

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And here's a Lincoln-Peterborough turn, this time undertaken by a Bachmann Derby Lightweight DMU. Again, the destination board is equally absurd in what it displays. Once I'm shown how to get inside these things, they'll be changed (how easy is it to change the blinds?).

It’s relatively easy to get into the DMU’s the lightweight, 101 and 108 have screws initially holding the body on, the 105 is held on only by tabs. The following is similar for 105/108 in addition to the lightweight shown. The screws are in different places on the different types, but the removal principal is the same.

The lightweight body is held by tabs and a crosshead screw, and the Peco, sorry PECO loco cradle is ideal for this job. Work from the cab end, under the front cross member of the leading bogie there’s a crosshead screw, pop the leading axle out and remove screw.

post-68-0-21142900-1522427091_thumb.jpeg

post-68-0-55650800-1522427133_thumb.jpeg

Use a thin shim either side of the body to slide between the chassis and body, gently pulling them apart from the cab end. Expect to hear plastic creaking and pinging as the chassis releases from the clips in the glazing inserts.

post-68-0-88379200-1522427328_thumb.jpeg

The body will release from the chassis but be very careful, I have seen a body cracked by too much force, it’s one of those jobs to start in a good mood, as by the end of it you may not be in the same ‘place’.

post-68-0-21285600-1522427503_thumb.jpeg

To get the cab section out, held in by two clips, gently spread the body sides, and it should release one or the other of the clips then remove cab section.

post-68-0-55801100-1522427654_thumb.jpeg

The destination is printed in reverse, and will likely TCut polish out. Not sure if anyone does replacements yet though I know Roy J had some for Retford. In true Haynes style, reassembly is the above process in reverse. Any screws/components/details left over can be discreetly swept onto the floor, and you can go down the pub, realising that’s why some people are afraid to take their RTR stuff to bits...

Edited by PMP
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I believe that there were several sugar beet railways in Northern France / Belgium that had their origins in WW1 NG trench railways.

Eg. http://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/tales/francetales03.htm .

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I am not sure that Pithivieres counts as a trench line being situated someway South of Paris, but Froissy - Dompierre on the Somme would certainly fit the bill of a sugar beet line constructed from WW1 surplus.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Froissy_Dompierre_Light_Railway

I am not sure that Pithivieres counts as a trench line being situated someway South of Paris, but Froissy - Dompierre on the Somme would certainly fit the bill of a sugar beet line constructed from WW1 surplus.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Froissy_Dompierre_Light_Railway

That was why I used the phrase '... had their in ...', as some of the equipment used was certainly WW1.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

It’s relatively easy to get into the DMU’s the lightweight, 101 and 108 have screws initially holding the body on, the 105 is held on only by tabs. The following is similar for 105/108 in addition to the lightweight shown. The screws are in different places on the different types, but the removal principal is the same.

The lightweight body is held by tabs and a crosshead screw, and the Peco, sorry PECO loco cradle is ideal for this job. Work from the cab end, under the front cross member of the leading bogie there’s a crosshead screw, pop the leading axle out and remove screw.

attachicon.gifAB7CFD71-17D8-4A55-9A2D-03939D647A57.jpeg

attachicon.gif30E72904-6620-4716-907C-F9E5B1CB1474.jpeg

Use a thin shim either side of the body to slide between the chassis and body, gently pulling them apart from the cab end. Expect to hear plastic creaking and pinging as the chassis releases from the clips in the glazing inserts.

attachicon.gif267D4C95-32FF-4F04-B54E-4FB5A8106DE1.jpeg

The body will release from the chassis but be very careful, I have seen a body cracked by too much force, it’s one of those jobs to start in a good mood, as by the end of it you may not be in the same ‘place’.

attachicon.gif3163833A-3496-4057-934E-91E8CD89F5C7.jpeg

To get the cab section out, held in by two clips, gently spread the body sides, and it should release one or the other of the clips then remove cab section.

attachicon.gif45C2DD9A-2177-4D59-8D26-720D79C604A7.jpeg

The destination is printed in reverse, and will likely TCut polish out. Not sure if anyone does replacements yet though I know Roy J had some for Retford. In true Haynes style, reassembly is the above process in reverse. Any screws/components/details left over can be discreetly swept onto the floor, and you can go down the pub, realising that’s why some people are afraid to take their RTR stuff to bits...

I find a few wooden drinks stirrers help with holding the body away from the lugs. I agree it's a job to do slowly and carefully. I also find that the screw at the cab end isn't really necessary as the lugs do a good enough job. An alternative to popping out the leading axle is to take off the bogie, which is held in by a screw. There are no wires to complicate things. On some types care is needed to avoid knocking lamp brackets or damaging either the exhaust pipes on the body or the chassis details.

Further info. for those who might be interested -

>>.1. - 'NARROW GAUGE IN THE ARRAS SECTOR.'; (First vol. of a projected series.),;

M&J. Farebrother;

9 781473  82118 7.;

Pen & Sword,  pub'd. 2016.;

01226 734222.;

www.pen-and-sword.co.uk

>>.2. - 'LIGHT RAILWAYS OF THE FIRST WORLD WAR.'.

W. Davies;

9 780715 34108 7.; 

David and Charles;

01392 797680.;

http:://fwmedia.co.uk/about/

>>.3. - 'Tracks to the trenches.' - Light rlys. exhibition & show;

13 -15 July 2018. - advance booking tkts. available;

Apedale light railway,

Loomer rd.,

CHESTERTON,  Staffs.,

ST5 7LB.;

0845 094 1953.;

www.avlr.org.uk

Usual disclaimers.     E&OE..      :locomotive:

Edited by unclebobkt

• RMweb Premium

Good Morning Tony

I understand you had a look at Mr Tailby's two 08 shunters, and gave them back. Well he had asked everyone who he thought could fix them without showing his mere operating assistant. Once they were returned I done a quick bit of diagnosis on both of them. One plastic final drive gear was split (common on Bachmann 08s), and the other has a outside crank split so was throwing the quartering all over the shop (Ultrascale wheels and cranks). Spotted in seconds.  

• Like 1