Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

I can never find any exact dates for when the rear coal plates of LNER tenders were moved forward, some sources say something like 'during the 1950s', so the forward position may not necessarily be wrong on a loco carrying the early BR emblem (always assuming tenders were repainted at the same time as the coal plate was moved, which may not have been the case). Not always easy to see in typical 'front three quarters' views in loco photos, either.

I think b1s were either started or complete by 55. I ll need to check when home. Edited by davidw
  • Like 1

Regarding churches close to railways, the school I went to was originally started in rooms at the back of High Pavement chapel in Nottingham, long since moved by the time I went there though. We used to return to the chapel for a carol service every year at least. Trains were passing just outside over Weekday Cross junction.

The picture from the RCTS website gives some idea how close it was, the building between church and railway being the old schoolrooms.

https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?location=Nottingham&page=2&serial=44&img=65-020-35A

Regarding St Mary Le Wigford in Lincoln I walk around there regularly when I have a break in Lincoln, there are a number of old gravestones laid into the pavement outside the church, which if I recall correctly is possibly the oldest in Lincoln. Really should remember more of what I read :rtfm:

Regarding churches close to railways, the school I went to was originally started in rooms at the back of High Pavement chapel in Nottingham, long since moved by the time I went there though. We used to return to the chapel for a carol service every year at least. Trains were passing just outside over Weekday Cross junction.

The picture from the RCTS website gives some idea how close it was, the building between church and railway being the old schoolrooms.

https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?location=Nottingham&page=2&serial=44&img=65-020-35A

Regarding St Mary Le Wigford in Lincoln I walk around there regularly when I have a break in Lincoln, there are a number of old gravestones laid into the pavement outside the church, which if I recall correctly is possibly the oldest in Lincoln. Really should remember more of what I read :rtfm:

Was there not a layout in this thread that depicted a Kirk in Scotland next to a railway that was a faithful representation of what had existed ? i have actioned a search but cannot find it. Perhaps it was in a different topic but the posts were about how excellent the representation of the architecture was and probably still is. There was only a wall between the graves and the track.

Regards

Peter

I did similar with an Airfix 4F a few years ago, using either a Comet or Perseverence chassis (can't remember which one!) and also the corresponding tender chassis.

I compensated the loco chassis, even though it's in OO, to help with electrical pick-up (I do think this helps, although it's clearly not necessary in that gauge, nor, for that matter, is it in P4, in my opinion, provided the track is nice and level).

Here are a couple of photos of 44422 on one of my layouts 'Bleakhouse Road':

attachicon.gif44422 at BHR_02.jpg

(Photo courtesy of Chris Nevard/Hornby Magazine)

attachicon.gif44422 at BHR_01.jpg

(Photo courtesy of Andy York/BRM)

While on the subject of replacing bogie wheels on RTR locos, here is my Bachmann WD 2-8-0, which has Markits bogie and tender wheels. The main reason I replaced these was not to do with appearance (although I fully agree with the notion of doing so and have done it myself), but rather the fact that the Bachmann wheels 'bumped' along the tops of the inner chairs on the C&L flexi-track. The driving wheels of the 'WD' didn't do this but when I replaced the bogie and tender wheels, there was no further problem:

attachicon.gifIMG_1963.jpg

Lovely stuff, thanks for posting.

Just lamps required now?

Regards,

Tony. 

Going back a few posts, here's my attempt at a class 114 or Derby heavyweight unit, I seem to recall reading somewhere they were nicknamed Lincoln units as most if not all were originally allocated to Lincoln depot?

It's Craftsman etched sides on Lima donor vehicles, I know it's very clean but based on a photo I used while working on it, also needs destination blinds.

Not the best photos but so easy to do direct from my phone rather than putting batteries in my, now somewhat ancient, digital camera then downloading the pictures afterwards

post-110-0-19552000-1523133889_thumb.jpg

post-110-0-98461300-1523133973_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Southwark cathedral is pretty damn close to the railway - is that the nearest cathedral?

G

And the Shah Jahan mosque (Woking) adjoins the railway, so is that the nearest mosque?

G

G'Day Folks

There is a lovely old church next to the ECML at Offord, the Up slow is very close to the residence attached to the church, so close, in fact you can see the people inside the lounge/dining room through the French doors !!

manna

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have started a Derby long underframe heavyweight form Hornby class 110 bits, Lima 117 chassis and ends.

post-16423-0-61746400-1523139619_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-16329600-1523139634_thumb.jpg

It is next a very old conversion of a 110 to a 108, like Robert I have quite a few Bachmann class 108 DMUs but won't part with this battered old thing, because I made it.

• Like 13

Going back a few posts, here's my attempt at a class 114 or Derby heavyweight unit, I seem to recall reading somewhere they were nicknamed Lincoln units as most if not all were originally allocated to Lincoln depot?

It's Craftsman etched sides on Lima donor vehicles, I know it's very clean but based on a photo I used while working on it, also needs destination blinds.

Not the best photos but so easy to do direct from my phone rather than putting batteries in my, now somewhat ancient, digital camera then downloading the pictures afterwards

attachicon.gifIMG_20180407_213251244.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20180407_213444636.jpg

Glad to see your cat only gets the best.............................!

• RMweb Premium

There is a large Methodist Chapel sits right on top of the retaining wall just at the end of the platform of Redruth station. The sound of valenta engines pulling away from the platform would surely have silenced any sermon, however powerful the preacher!

Phil.

• Like 1

I enclose a Photograph taken c1900 of an LDEC locomotive at Lincoln Central.  In the background is a Presbyterian Chapel, demolished pre-WW1.  This is on the station boundary. 

post-19381-0-19224700-1523177978_thumb.jpgAmong items of interest concerning Lincoln's railways are the summer holiday excursions to Cleethorpes, Mablethorpe and Skegness, plus cross-country trains to Great Yarmouth.  This was a logistical exercise carried out every year, that the rpesent railway would find impossible to do.

Alos the GN/GE joint from Doncaster to Lincoln was used for plant testing of locomotives from time to time.

Any information regarding the subjects would be most welcome.

• Like 5

It's not that the modern railway system couldn't recreate those excursions, it is that people prefer to go to Turkey, Greece or other destinations where the booze is cheap and the sun shines. 

The railway today does not have the stock for the operation, even if the people prefer to go abroad nowadays.

• RMweb Gold

It's not that the modern railway system couldn't recreate those excursions, it is that people prefer to go to Turkey, Greece or other destinations where the booze is cheap and the sun shines. 

The railway today does not have the stock for the operation, even if the people prefer to go abroad nowadays.

Chicken.

Egg.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

There is a large Methodist Chapel sits right on top of the retaining wall just at the end of the platform of Redruth station. The sound of valenta engines pulling away from the platform would surely have silenced any sermon, however powerful the preacher!

Phil.

I can think of many sermons that I've had the misfortune to listen to that should have been drowned out by the roaring music of Valentas on full chat.

Jamie

I guess these would drown out any sermon !!

Clinchfield Railroad (now CSX) Dante, Virginia USA (would make a nice model !!)

maxresdefault.jpg

27391478073_cd82ba84c9_k.jpg

Will the congregation Stop Look & Listen when leaving the Church !!!!!

Brit15

• Like 11

Afternoon Tony, I hope you don't mind posting again (do say if so!)

Some more work on the B1 and K1 tenders. The tender divide had a small lip at the rear, like the tender side edges. The K1 divide which had been cut to shape, obviously lost it's high up lip in the process, and the B1's lip had been damaged in a slip of the scalpel when using it to trace around.

Therefore I've added a thin piece of micro strip to both, reinstating the small lip. 

post-24300-0-70959900-1523194291_thumb.jpg

The K1 has also had the masokit working screw links fitted that I made up yesterday.

The B1's chimney is now painted and will be fitted this evening. I've decided to go with Darlington allocated 61061, which seems to have been a rarely photographed member of the class. I've found one early 1960s photo showing a front numberplate with Gill Sans sixes. With no other photos to go off, that will do as enough evidence on the front number plate front.

• Like 5

Spoilt rotten by the wife, in this house I come a poor third behind cats and, quite rightly, son. Excuse is that I can feed myself, and usually do!

I come behind the cat in our house too...............

We don't have a cat!

Speaks volumes!

Martyn

Afternoon Tony, I hope you don't mind posting again (do say if so!)

Some more work on the B1 and K1 tenders. The tender divide had a small lip at the rear, like the tender side edges. The K1 divide which had been cut to shape, obviously lost it's high up lip in the process, and the B1's lip had been damaged in a slip of the scalpel when using it to trace around.

Therefore I've added a thin piece of micro strip to both, reinstating the small lip. 

attachicon.gif30530490_10155707161732984_5191355484963078144_n.jpg

The K1 has also had the masokit working screw links fitted that I made up yesterday.

The B1's chimney is now painted and will be fitted this evening. I've decided to go with Darlington allocated 61061, which seems to have been a rarely photographed member of the class. I've found one early 1960s photo showing a front numberplate with Gill Sans sixes. With no other photos to go off, that will do as enough evidence on the front number plate front.

Good afternoon Tom,

As I've mentioned before, why should I mind if folk post images of their work on here? I encourage it.

Bring them along when you visit us. We'll give them a run. Bring your movie camera, too, if you don't mind. 

Regards,

Tony.