Brisbane Road...A New Pig Lane

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Last night I was mulling over things and thought to myself “wouldn't be nice to build an improved Pig Lane.” It has to retain the features I liked most about Pig Lane, short enough to use push rods for the points from the operating position, to be table height, so that I can sit down to operate it and for the layout to retain the important features of a diesel depot. Most of all get the same fun building and operating as I did with Pig Lane.

I played around with some Peco templates last night, came up with a plan that would work.

When I got up this morning I remembered I had inherited some Peco points and slips, recovered them from under Hanging Hill. I placed them on the paper railway and rearranged it again. Worked out what I needed track and points wise. After taking the dogs for a walk I dashed down to John Dutfield Model Railways and rummaged through their second hand track boxes. I came home with not quite the right points so I had another play with the paper railway.  I am now happy with the track plan. I visit to Wickes has resulted in some timber and chip board, cheaper than B&Q and better quality.

I have two names in mind for it, Pig Lane or Bisbane Road.

post-16423-0-72919400-1359825910_thumb.png

Photos of paper railway will be taken later tonight once I have redrawn it. This is so I have a working template.

• RMweb Premium

As I was fixing the templates to the paper railway I altered the track plan. This was a previous version from last night.

post-16423-0-23614600-1359843587_thumb.png

When it was all stuck down I had another thought, and decided to skew it a little. I find lines that are parallel with the baseboard edge to be a tad boring

(see Hanging Hill http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61979-hanging-hill/ )

Here is the paper railway on the baseboard tops.

post-16423-0-45568400-1359844020.jpg

and from the fiddle yrad end

post-16423-0-70623400-1359844148.jpg

A couple with track laid on top

post-16423-0-38937200-1359844463.jpg

post-16423-0-07802300-1359844486_thumb.jpg

Putting a few locos and wagons on gives more sense of what I am doing

post-16423-0-54057900-1359845008.jpg

post-16423-0-58195700-1359845024_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-11319200-1359845045_thumb.jpg

Now to put the living room back to normal.

You'll need DCC to control all those locos at once, Clive! ;)

Seriously, that looks very interesting, with lots of operating potential (on DC or DCC!). A small benefit of skewing it is you get a marginally longer run using the diagonals of the board.

Good luck with this.

P.s. if you call it Brisbane Street it will give you an excuse to run some Australian models too!

• RMweb Premium

With my collection of Stratford based locos and my liking for East London locations Brisbane Road seems appropriate for one of the small sub sheds that the ER built. Its location is close to where the ex GER line to Epping diverged. It also the home of Leyton Orient so a good excuse to have some football/railway graffiti on the shed wall Swindon 5 Orient 0 but crossed out to read Swindon 1 Orient 2. That will date the layout to the summer of 1965.

If you were to look on google maps you would see Brisbane Road’s replacement, it is a tad bigger.  Eurostar call the location Temple Mills.

As for operation, I am sticking with my 4 inch isolating sections and their bank of switches owing to me being a DC luddite.

• RMweb Premium

Owing to the drill needing charging progress was not as good as I hoped for. I stopped drilling and sawing at about 8 pm, got to think of the neighbours when working in the garage. I did manage to build one baseboard frame complete with folding legs. Sorry no photos of the progress as it is wood work not carpentry.

While I am in awe of those who can make baseboards that are works of engineering  and in some cases art as well, I find the old timber frame and chipboard top works well for the type of exhibition layout I build. By the time the baseboards are warping as to start being a problem the stuff on top is so knackered it needs drastic refurbishing. Combine this with my want to do something new by this stage, timber and chipboard does for me.  It is also the limit of my skills with wood.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Cheers David

Update:- woodwork complete and the cork has been glued to the basboard tops. While looking for something heavy and flat to hold the cork while the gule set I hit apon a great idea. use the other base board :imsohappy: Track laying to commence soon.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers David

Update:- woodwork complete and the cork has been glued to the basboard tops. While looking for something heavy and flat to hold the cork while the gule set I hit apon a great idea. use the other base board :imsohappy: Track laying to commence soon.

Once you get the boards unstuck from each other? ;-)

Look forward to seeing this as it progresses.

A

• RMweb Premium

First, Hi Andy

Thank you.

Second. Thank goodness it has been a bit too chilly to venture out in the garage to lay the track. I have been getting myself in a tis was over the track plan. All the ER sub-sheds had the refuelling and other servicing inside the shed building not outside. The refuelling point had to go. Hitchin, Froddingahm, Shirebrook, Wath (diesel not electric) and Kings Cross were dead end not through servicing sheds like Colchester, Ripple Lane, Temple Mills, and Tinsley (low level). Now did I redraw my plan to fit in a shed like Colchester and maintain my "most sheds had their refuelling point within a run round" stance or eat humble pie and go for a dead end shed like Hitchin? I toyed with several designs of both and nothing seemed to satisfy me.

Today I hit on a great idea, use the track plan as devised but leave out the fuel point and remove one of the tracks. I also have done some moving of points so that there is now room for some stores and offices to be along the side of the shed.

post-16423-0-84117700-1363217023_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Owing to the unseasonal weather we are having the man shed is too cold to do any work on either train set. The weather also made me think twice about going to Alley Pally. Not going out this weekend got me wanting to do some work on Brisbane Road. To my surprise my nice wife said i could set it up in the conservatory. Last night I set about cutting the track to its right lengths and joining it all together before fixing it to the baseboards. Paper layout was laid on the base boards and I started to get to work on it. Where I have removed the fuel point I have now added an old steam loco ash pit. I need to sort out how I can suggest the remains of a coaling hoist, like the one that was at Kings Cross Passenger Loco.

Now despite how accurate I make my paper railways when I come to sort out the Peco products some things do not work and need fettling and others shout "I need changing for the better". One of these was the headshunt to the stabling sidings. I swung it out a little more than planned, visually it looked better I then thought "Have I room to have the remains of a turntable pit, this will help with back history of it being an ex-steam loco servicing yard. Off the kitchen I went and came back with an 8 1/2 inch plate and drew a circle. It is about a scale 50 foot turn table of which was quite a common size on the GER.

Next stage will be to remove the paper railway and fix the track to the baseboards. Meanwhile here are some photos showing how far I have got.post-16423-0-46464700-1364127822_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-25968500-1364127843_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-90379100-1364127859_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-04694700-1364127880_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Another modification to the planned layout is changing the outline into a short siding so Brisbane Road has only one line which is both entrance and exit.

Here are photos with stock on the tracks, it gives a better feel to what I want to achive.

post-16423-0-11236900-1364128395_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-55457400-1364128310_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-87720300-1364128188_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-29702600-1364128174_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-27714800-1364128149_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-36242300-1364128206_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

UPDATE. 31/3/13

I have laid the track, made the wiring looms and started on the control panel. No photos of progress due to the pile of tools on the layout.

I have also been working on the scenics. I am going to have a road bridge arcoss the fiddle yard with a LNER "Modern Image" station building on the fiddle yard side. I will be making a modified version of Maryland station http://www.flickr.com/photos/55935853@N00/2487185023. One of my fellow Witham club members (and an operator of Hanging Hill) moans like mad about buses on bridges therefore the road will be quite wide so I can have some bus stops on it. I have been researching bus routes around the Leyton area and one I must have is the 236 to take stranded Finsbury Park drivers back home.  Seriously a main road crossing the railway will give it more of an urban feel.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andi

It is modelled in day time so there would not be any goths flying about. :no:

Anyhow what a silly time to find I am low on solder :O There is always something I run out of when I am in full motion :nono: Is Maplin open tomorrow?

Archived