Brisbane Road...A New Pig Lane

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

I was away this weekend and there was no work done directly on the layout. I did however get round to filling two North British type 1 Bo-Bos with lead so they are nearer being painted. I might even beat Heljan in getting them ready. I also started some new scratchbuilt figures for the layout.

• RMweb Premium

This weekend I have been ballasting .......why does the real railway need ballast :dontknow:

You spend hours with that fine paint brush clearing off the chippings from the sleepers, then spray with water and A FEW DROPS OF WASHING UP LIQUID for the ballast to jump back on to the sleepers. And no matter how carefull you are with the water downed glue with A FEW DROPS OF WASHING UP LIQUID it goes and clumps together around the point tie bars. :O

Please no comments on why the real thing needs ballast, I think I have a good idea, cheers. :rtfm:

• RMweb Premium

Looking good, only a couple of months to go before we see it 'in the flesh' at Mid Essex. I could let you have a Deltic or 2 if you want some fine racehorses to grace this part of Leyton? Don't forget what I said about a parked bus - not seen anyone else model one in this condition. They don't do it now, they just put the hazard flashers on and await a mechanic - grease monkey - to get them on their way.

Hi Ken

I think you will be pleased know that I have been practicing for the Mid Essex Show,

Saturday 21st September 2013 at Shenfield High School, Oliver Road, Shenfield, Essex, UK, CM15 8RY. Open 10am to 5pm, free car park on site, free bus service from Shenfield railway station.

I had fish and chips for tea.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Work continues at my pace, station building is taking shape and the fuel tanks and pump house have been started.

post-16423-0-00058600-1376833664_thumb.jpg

View of the shed area.

post-16423-0-29104500-1376833689_thumb.jpg

D8202 on the filled in turntable.

post-16423-0-27786700-1376833701_thumb.jpg

The knocked down steam shed being used as a parking area for the parcels vans.

post-16423-0-87718800-1376833717_thumb.jpg

Looking towards the bridge

post-16423-0-99409300-1376833728_thumb.jpg

The storage sidings.

post-16423-0-08838700-1376833742_thumb.jpg

The fuel tanks and pump house.

post-16423-0-25865500-1376833758_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-69640800-1376833787_thumb.jpg

The busy road.

post-16423-0-97968600-1376833772_thumb.jpg

General view.

post-16423-0-31365400-1376833802_thumb.jpg

The station building

post-16423-0-96890300-1376833819_thumb.jpg

From the bridge.

post-16423-0-33284800-1376833832.jpg

Towards the shed.

post-16423-0-55869000-1376833848_thumb.jpg

Still haven't turned that BTH.

• RMweb Premium

Are you going to put the LNER 'eye' shape on the station canopy like Maryland had until some time in the '70s, Clive?

Hi Bernard

The thought had crossed my mind, not too sure if I will. The station is based on the same design so it might get a 1950s BR sign, am I right in thinking Maryland went from LNER to the arrow of indecision missing out proper BR.

It is a big pity I did not know my wife when her family lived in Forest Lane at the Maryland end, the building has long gone.

Hi Bernard

The thought had crossed my mind, not too sure if I will. The station is based on the same design so it might get a 1950s BR sign, am I right in thinking Maryland went from LNER to the arrow of indecision missing out proper BR.

Basically yes, though the letters LNER must have been removed early on. I guess other than the eye shape the rest was very much like the standard ER signs, Gill Sand white on a Oxford(?) blue background. I think it was only with the publication of 'Trains and Railways' in the early '70s that I realised the significance of the 'eye'.

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Bernard

I think I will place a 1950's BR sign so that peopel can see that the building is based on Maryland but not Maryland.

Hi lmsforever

I did think of a Greenline coach, a RMC or RF. I even considerd a blue Lesney's (Matchbox) bus as their factory was quite close but decided to use the 4 London buses I already have for the moment. They will receive new appropriate route blinds before the layout is finished.

• RMweb Premium

I have been thinking about model lights for Brisbane Road. :scratchhead:  Now in the past Pig Lane and Hanging Hill had working lights. How many loco depots would have their outside lights on in the day time :dontknow: It looks very pretty on a model but they would not have them on, like street lights they would be timed to come on at dusk and go off at dawn. :yahoo: that is one less thing to get working. I will have to remove the lighting from my new locos because they would not be on when in a depot during day time. A tail lamp was fixed to the loco furthest away from the buffers to indicate to to the next loco entering that siding not to try and go any further. Leaving a red loco light on did not become common practice until the 70s.

I have tried night time running using the model lighting on Hanging Hill ......could not see a thing.

• RMweb Premium

As well as the shed I have built a water tower based on the one at Chelmsford. There were some nice photos on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuart166axe/3510260699/in/photolist-6mc1dc-6mg8SY-aLUxfM-8YaBXZ-f4ksiW-ebPg8r-ebV2GE-dmWRbh-f4kr6A-ebPjcv-ebPFQi-doLwec-ebV7RU-9vNxRB-6J71uF-6J8gvS-7WvyqQ-6Dm3EM-6Dqc1S-6Jb699-6oJuv8-6oNEbQ-6oJuhv-6MsoHA-6oJuac-6jLStk-e7NNbt-auB3FF-93eBYk-6HPRha-auDx5f-dHbL7k-dmWNJh-6jLSn8-9qmus4-9qmxsc-9qmtze-9qpyT3-9qmvCr-9qpzt7-9qmvhr-ebVkrm-dd2vF2-eEWLsg-6J5PNo-axr62T-ebUULs-ebV8FL-ebV415-eeo4gs-ckdmUJ/ which I used to make my "scale" sketch. I used the counting the bricks method for getting my dimensions.

post-16423-0-09576100-1378065735.jpg

It looks a little small for a loco depot so not too sure if I will use it.

Anyhow I was chatting to my mate on the phone and he said that there was a drawing of the water tower on the GER Society site, all of 80p. I had a look and purchased the drawing along with a E4 and J15 locos drawings. They are for another long term project of mine. What a teriffic service, for £2.90 two loco drawings and the water tower, in seconds of me ordering them.  http://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=84

After printing off the water tower drawing I thought I better check how inacurrate my model was, it is a a couple of millimeters out, not bad for counting the bricks.

Brisbane Road's water tower differs from that of Chelmsford in that it has an office below not a stable.....what I thought was a window that had been opened up for a door is infact a stable door.

• RMweb Premium

Excellent! love a good depot layout, is that a class 16 you have there? this is a very inspirational set of photos thanks for sharing the link :sungum:

Hi Glenn

Cheers for the positive comments.

The D84XX in these photos is quite an old thing, built 30 years ago. I do have two Heljan ones.

post-16423-0-46070200-1379059491_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Brisbane Road fits into the car :yahoo: that means it can go to the exhibition at Shenfield on Saturday.

http://offtherails.x10.mx/memrc/exhib.html#top

It is going as a layout under construction, so if you want to know how I build things Saturday is the day to ask me. If not then just come and have a butchers and say hello.

Hi Clive, good luck with the show, I like to see work in progress layouts at shows as new comers to our hobby can get a much better understanding of what is actually involved in the building of a layout, i.e woodwork, soldering, wiring, scenics etc. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

More pics from the show please. :senile: :senile:

Andy :sungum:  

• RMweb Premium

Is it great when things that looked bad turnout good. I searched high and low for my copy of Diesel Depots, The Early Years (Irwell Press). I have just found it, in the conservatory (or small layout room) I had a pile of towels I use to dry my customer's dogs as it is now the wet season thought I better put them in the car. What was in the pile, close to where I needed it ......my book :imsohappy: :imsohappy:

Started to think how the bridge should look,

post-16423-0-03329800-1379318459_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-32874600-1379318469.jpg

Archived