Project 43 - The North British B-B Warships

Phil Bullock

Pah - that was tempting fate!

Of the 3 only 1 would run to exhibition standards - theres a video on youtube

https://youtu.be/_vlmOzGiTOg

So its back in to Churchdown works for traditional pick ups to be fitted, did that to the latest 40s and it cured their erratic running so should work on these too....

Phil

That was hard luck but the video is very nice. The captions add to the realism. Thank you for the link.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nearly bought one of these today but on test running in the shop the only one they had left was a noisy runner. The proprietor was surprised and said this was unusual - anyone can anyone comment on how smooth or otherwise the mechanisms of these models are? 

• RMweb Gold

To me they seem very highly geared !

However once well run in and a Loksound chip installed this hasn't caused any problems - pick ups are a problem however, the arrangement as installed is nowhere near good enough for a DCC sound installation so wiper pick ups fitted - an easy job

All 3 of ours performed well at the Cotswold show at the weekend

Phil

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The die is cast - these 3 will become (Thanks to Andy Y and contributors for the Pinterest gallery)

Relentless

https://www.flickr.com/photos/37468455@N07/3742991964/

Srongbow - at Ashchurch

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52467480@N08/7307831708/

And Triumph as tarted up following the ST Blazey Open Day in MAy 71 - picture in the book of the Warships at Gloucester Eastgate on the SO Paignton - Worcester

Photos of Relentless seem to show nose end OHLE flashes in odd positions so will need to bottom that one out - any other quirks on these locos I should watch out for please folks?

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The die is cast - these 3 will become (Thanks to Andy Y and contributors for the Pinterest gallery)Relentlesshttps://www.flickr.com/photos/37468455@N07/3742991964/Srongbow - at Ashchurchhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/52467480@N08/7307831708/And Triumph as tarted up following the ST Blazey Open Day in MAy 71 - picture in the book of the Warships at Gloucester Eastgate on the SO Paignton - WorcesterPhotos of Relentless seem to show nose end OHLE flashes in odd positions so will need to bottom that one out - any other quirks on these locos I should watch out for please folks?Phil

Shape, size and position of extra air vents under head codes, check both ends Phil.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

The Flickr image you have linked to Phil has the mysterious "crease" about a third up the bodyside, extending around the cabs on this shot. Adrian Curtis has mentioned this in one of his articles, I'm guessing it's an artefact of the stressed skin construction?

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neil yes noticed that!

As it transcends the drivers door and end I'm guessing its an accident induced gouge .... was it down the other side too?

And thanks Mike on the case with those

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Was it really November I started these?

post-7138-0-72353700-1459451642_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-00398700-1459451737_thumb.jpg

Strongbow is booked to work 1Z69 and 1Z80 - both specials to/from Bulmers - wonder why? Need to sort those head boards out...https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=d847+strongbow&biw=1708&bih=775&tbm=isch&imgil=1UQyjLm3JTt6RM%253A%253BX_GNvxKP9JI1UM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.flickr.com%25252Fphotos%25252F52467480%252540N08%25252F7307831708&source=iu&pf=m&fir=1UQyjLm3JTt6RM%253A%252CX_GNvxKP9JI1UM%252C_&usg=__r8yisKcJ4_7OZc9pRTJm8fbkeFo%3D&dpr=0.8&ved=0ahUKEwi5yaXd0-vLAhUHJw4KHXxvAdMQyjcIJw&ei=ynn9Vrm8O4fOOPzehZgN#imgrc=8ndKqIvpDfg_zM%3A

post-7138-0-79442000-1459451747_thumb.jpg

Relentless is booked up to Worcester on 1B01 - the newspaper vans - and back up to Padd on 1A06. Ah - just realised have forgotten the square headcode panel ventilators on this one...https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=D839+relentless&biw=1708&bih=775&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwink46w1evLAhWGtA4KHawUCSUQ_AUIBigB&dpr=0.8#imgrc=6VacwzZ7Nkd0qM%3A

post-7138-0-91873100-1459451757_thumb.jpg

And Triumph is on an out and back from Worcester to Paignton - 1B44 and 1B78

post-7138-0-85338900-1459451770_thumb.jpg

Strongbow had patches of paint missing - see https://www.flickr.com/photos/52467480@N08/7307831708 - have tried to replicate those, not quite there yet - and look at those gashes along the side...Mr Downendian will be after me if I don't reproduce those but means running a scriber along the model....ouch!

post-7138-0-78565200-1459451780_thumb.jpg

She was tarted up for a St Blazey Open day

The 43s generally didn't seem to get in to the same state as some of the 42s - perhaps they had more frequent visits to Swindon!

Phil

PS apologies for the multiple edits - wanted to be sure I got all the photo links correct

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Terrific stuff Phil.

I know what you mean about taking scribers to £100 plus models, not done it yet personally. The hydraulics seemed to get more than their fair share of side swipes or weird creases due to the stressed skin construction.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

For a while have looked at the speaker installation on this loco.

Its neat - but sound output not good, poor acoustics as the sound path from front and rear of speaker are not separately contained resulting in destructive interference and therefore reduced sound volume.

Answer? a Blu-tack gasket

post-7138-0-76106000-1475344143_thumb.jpg

And in situ

post-7138-0-11895500-1475344151_thumb.jpg

Result....double the volume for 5 mins work

Hee hee

I don't trust the rubbing strip speaker connections either so I hard wire them on long leads to keep body removal easy

Phil

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

That looks very neat Mike .... look forwards to hearing that installation with your new sound file

But the 43 only needs the blue tack mod for prototypical racket...

Need to spend the dark evenings building some more signals I think

Cheers

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The next two 43s in works are Superb and Zambesi - just back from Howes with Bryan's excellent sound files and blue tacked speakers, copped it in the neck from SWMBO last night for making too much racket on the dining room table.

D849 will be early blue with serif numbers

D864 as first shopped in early blue with numbers under engine room windows - but struggling to find any photos of her in that livery....can anyone advise please?

Cheers

Phil

• Like 2

If you have any old Ian Allan ABC's, then the 1967 one - part blue cover, pic of Merchant Navy 35008 on front - has a shot of D864 on p127.

The shot is by the turntable at Old Oak, unfortunately in B&W. Nonetheless the loco is clearly in blue, with full yellow ends. The "D864" numbers are serifs, so like the ones on green locos, and situated directly under the bodyside windows, with the top of the number in line with the bottom of the cab door handle. The BR arrows are on the cabsides, appearing to be centred beneath the cab window divider, and heightwise the arrow centre is in line with the centre of the number.

From memory, didn't this one have the dark brown underframe which included the fuel tank etc., and indeed everything below the bodyside turnunder. The picture supports this, but obviously I can't tell the colour!

I'll read my scanner instructions and see if I can do one, if you think this would be of assistance.

John.

• RMweb Gold

That would be very kind John

Indeed she did have the umber frames and valances in that livery - its the positions of the numbers, arrows and OHLE flashes that are the issue, and B&W will be just fine for that

I did have that combined volume - it was the year I started - but heaven only knows where it is now

The livery only existed for about 6 months hence the dearth of photos

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Gold

She certainly does ... but that's her later early blue (!) still with umber frames but with the numbers in the more traditional position

IS there one of the early early blue?

Hee hee

Phil