A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

One of those would look quite nice on shed at Tigley Rob, or trundling along with a rake of clays....

It could work......

post-9751-0-03361700-1496579485_thumb.jpg

Sneak early preview of the 2019 Tigley Shed China Clay Weekend as a Beattie Tank bursts out of Tigley Woods hauling a short rake of clays and a couple of brake vans filled with hard core ANTB fans.

(I would have posted earlier but Internet speed has been pants here for the last few days).

• Like 5

Talking of 5051 during GW150 I started slightly adopting its name and calling it 'Drink swillin' Castle' as it was a right nuisance being very heavy on water due to the valve setting being somewhat off the mark.  There is nice littel sound track of it and 4930 slipping to a stand on Dainton with my voice coming over a bit in the background - the longer version which picked up far more of my remarks doesn't seem to be on the 'net nowadays.

However while searching for it I came across the film linked below which is the trip up Sapperton with 4930 in February that year in the hands of a Severn Tunnel Jcn Driver who steadfastly refused to 'play the game' and drove the way his Driver had always driven up the bank (when working ballast trains :O ).  The fun bit comes around 3m30-3m40ish when you'll note a change in the exhaust - a result (alas only for a short while) of me having a go at the Inspector to tell the Driver to get on with it (or words to that effect).  Incidentally despite what it might say the engine very definitely wasn't struggling and if it had been driven with more elan it would have definitely been going faster - it was simply driven in a rather leisurely manner on the blinkin first valve of the regulator).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-boJonxuQrU&list=PLzbgm6Lb1nIGBpI7AN0DhhSx0MSE6nuOn

Very interesting Mike and thanks for posting.

Must say I'm sure they Elf n' Sanity blokes could have a field day now watching the "enthusiastic " crowds along the line !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No crews  were used in the following photos. :O

post-126-0-39798900-1496594455_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-95040500-1496594464_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-11388900-1496594481_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-80948800-1496594494_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-27489800-1496594514_thumb.jpg

Coal is usually added near completion Kev. ;) 

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mr. Stationmaster,

There is a rather nice audio recording of "Hagley Hall's" climb of Sapperton in February 1985 thanks to the excellent "Steam Sounds" website:-

http://www.steamsoundsarchive.com/10/10_1.html

The accompanying account of the rail tour corroborates your memory of the handling of the locomotive, that it was driven on the Pilot (First) valve of the regulator much of the way to Sapperton Tunnel. Another explanation is offered as to why the loco was driven in that way, though I suspect the author may not have had access to the Driver himself as you did!

Andy.

As I was on the footplate I know exactly what the Driver said when I had something of a go via the Traction Inspector.  Neither I nor the Inspector could tell the Driver how to handle the engine although neither of us were at all happy with what was happening.  By the time the Driver took the rather strong hint - at around 3.30ish in the video I linked - it was far too late and the rot had well and truly set in and of course opening up had little or no effect, to the Driver's obvious satisfaction.  If the regulator had been kept fully open it would never have happened, the engine was steaming well and there was no chance of beating the Fireman as several of us were happily taking turns on the shovel if the Fireman wanted a break.

Incidentally the final paragraph above that piece of audio is a load of invented nonsense and I'm not at all sure why somebody would bother to come up with it - the whole thing was down to the Driver, the way he handled the engine, and his not being prepared to put on a bit of a show.  I did all the train planning work for the GW150 specials and the commercial aim was simply to try to get as wide a spread as possible of routes with the steam specials.  The Swindon - Gloucester working had been included right from the start as a  separate programme, with dedicated stock, to link in with the Swindon GW150 exhibition (the exhibition was cancelled, the Swindon - Gloucester specials fortunately survived).

Fortunately by the time the Swindon - Gloucester trips were running the Swindon and Gloucester men who were involved not only knew exactly what was wanted but were getting rather competitive with might politely best be described as 'some very sparkling running' including 7029 beating HST running times on the climb from Stroud and over the top while the 'King' also put in a rather good performance one afternoon in abysmal weather and a hard check at UK 99 (because it was starting to run down a dmu).  Peter Semmens knew that I had timed some of the trains in considerable detail but I was never prepared to let him see my logs as he wanted to publish them in 'The Railway Magazine' and the results could well have been embarassing for a  number of people if that had happened.

Back to the South Hams ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Landore Castles rule ! Roy White forever..My heart will lie at 87E.The fee for pronunciation course for the name Drysllwyn Castle is a modest £10 for those born the wrong (English) side of Offa's Dyke.Robin gains exemption from this modest charge for his exemplary services to my incurable lust for firstly a 4013 and now this ......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very cunning Rob, just including one coach in the photo. How am I supposed to check you have them in the right order??

Yes but one of them has a tail lamp fitted so I'm guessing that's the last coach in the rake. :read: