Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

I think Mark has the answer. Your hornblock has a protuberance that does not appear on the assembly instruction drawing.

My guess is that the hornblocks have been updated, and the etch has not.

I do recall trying to do this on my Slater's clerestories, years ago. I don't recall what I actually did, but it may have involved bad language, as, effective as it is, evolution had not equipped me with enough hands and heat-resistant fingertips. Aligning the "tuning fork" with the side of the hornblock, ensuring they were fixed together and yet not flooding the grooves with solder was a game. Particularly by #8...

The clincher for Mark's theory - is the groove in the hornblock turned concentric with the bearing hole, or are there two milled grooves, one either side? If the latter, it's definitely an upgraded, improved version, and the tuning forks are redundant.

Belay that, the answer is obvious in the third photo. It is the latter.

Best

Simon

Edited by Simond

• RMweb Premium

See, that's the why I don't read instructions until after I've finished building something, saves any confusion

I can't help but feel that the bogie instructions were written in haste with not much in the way of testing. Compared to other Slaters instructions they are somewhat vague and confusing in places. Definitely room for some redrafting

• RMweb Premium

Bottle more inspiring than the denuded roof tonight...

post-6675-0-62114600-1453498707_thumb.jpg

Not at all easy to convert a rainstrip location on a photo to the model's roof. On the plus side there doesn't seem to be a definitive location and I suspect those carrying out the re-felting had their own ideas on where they should go.

• RMweb Premium

Bottle more inspiring than the denuded roof tonight...

attachicon.gifrps20160122_213230.jpg

Not at all easy to convert a rainstrip location on a photo to the model's roof. On the plus side there doesn't seem to be a definitive location and I suspect those carrying out the re-felting had their own ideas on where they should go.

Difficult decisions Re that rain strip, it needs some positive confident modelling. . You will find the more of those Worcester sorcerers you drink the easier those decisions become and you will be more confident.

The modelling could be s**t though.

Andy

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Difficult decisions Re that rain strip, it needs some positive confident modelling. . You will find the more of those Worcester sorcerers you drink the easier those decisions become and you will be more confident.

The modelling could be s**t though.

Andy

Andy

Drinking can also affect short term memory, such as when signing your name...

• RMweb Premium

Horrid small oval parts to cut out, file and fit to the soldered up brass duckets. Very fiddly!

Placed on prior to straightening up and soldering:

post-6675-0-14749600-1453576036.jpg

Finished and fixed to the brake end of the coach:

post-6675-0-70131400-1453576111.jpg

Choices, choices...

post-6675-0-12496500-1453576147_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Horrid small oval parts to cut out, file and fit to the soldered up brass duckets. Very fiddly!

Placed on prior to straightening up and soldering:

attachicon.gifrps20160123_185801.jpg

Finished and fixed to the brake end of the coach:

attachicon.gifrps20160123_185827.jpg

Choices, choices...

attachicon.gifrps20160123_185907.jpg

Is one of those a Deep Purple colour...