Dunster. OOgauge on the GWR West Somerset line.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

Great to see Dunster in model form and nice it looks too.

We spend a week every year at Dunster Beach so it's good to see our "local" station on here, do you have a trackplan?

Cheers

Tim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here's a quick sketch up of the plan as I believe the track (at least) existed in GWR days. Note the scenic sections beyond the confines of railway property are fictitious!

post-8964-0-71075300-1364487313_thumb.png

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 3

The line from Dunster to Minehead was originally single-track. It was doubled west of the station level-crossing, and the (2nd) signal-box opened, in 1934. In 1966 the signal-box at Minehead was closed , after which the double-track was operated as two seperate single lines. The bracket Down Starting signal adjacent to the SB dates only from 1966, having previously been a single arm on a straight post. If for your model you are going to use the Up side of the double-track simply as a siding, then I would suggest that the bracket would have only a shunt disc reading in to it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for the info on the double track and signaling. My signals are mounted on removable blocks so I will construct a single post signal and swap them when needed. Do you know if this post was tubular or square? I,ve also been looking for info on the signaling and box at Minehead. This just might is going to be my next project, replace the fiddle yard with a scaled down version of Minehead!  

Edited by Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

Brain wave at midnight........

I can make new end boards with an incline at the Minehead end of say 2 inches and a decline at the other end then run the Taunton bound trains under Minehead. This will give 18 feet length and 27inches width......... hummmmm...... There would have to be a 180 degree bend of course!

If you are going to model any station on the Minehead line, then I would strongly recommend that you study the definitive histiory of the line: "The Minehead Branch 1848-1971" by Ian Coleby, pub Lightmoor Press 2006. There will be enough plans, drawings  and photographs to give you probably all the info that you need.

To answer your specific question, the Down Starting signal (25) was a tubular post signal on the RH side of the line (facing Down trains) directly in front of the signal-box.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Stunning layout!!

I've a photo of a model I built of Dunster market -  if you're interested Sasquatch, I can put it up for you.

Cheers.

Allan.

Go for it Allan! I need to get the camera out again too.

Stunning layout!!

I've a photo of a model I built of Dunster market -  if you're interested Sasquatch, I can put it up for you.

Cheers.

Allan.

You may need this. According to the West Somerset Railway Facebook page this morning, there's a plan to move Dunster station and the market closer together. It may be something to do with the date though!

• RMweb Premium

Thats great! Not over scale at all. I like the way that the Austin A30 places the model some where between 1951 and 2013! My best friends mum still potters  pottered about in hers for years!!

Edit. R.I.P. Sally.

Edited by Sasquatch

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Dunster was our first layout done in 2009 I beleive. It has had some serious revamping in the tree department. Learned some tricks from Don at the Medford Model Railway Club & then incorperated some new ideas of my own to create Dunsters new trees. You can see in this video that the old trees are pretty bla.

Check out the fencing in this video. Mr. Sasquatch wanted it along the track but didn't want to spend that much money. So I said why not use match sticks! Drill holes in them, paint  & then thread beading wire through them! It was a real hit at the train show. The beading wire gives the fencing a convincing cable wire look to them.

Here are two videos from patrons at the show.

In this video Mr. Sasquatch devised an plan and created his own moving gates. Don't ask me how its over my head! Especially when he explains it to me. :O

Here are some photos of the new additions to Dunster. New trees, as you can see in this first photo and then a small house & greenhouse/nursery.

post-8964-0-32753900-1372099552.jpgpost-8964-0-60522600-1372099605.jpgpost-8964-0-20050900-1372099661.jpgpost-8964-0-92435300-1372099689.jpg

I'll try to get some videos on here of the new Dunster soon.

Mrs. Sasquatch(SWMBO)

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Videos shot by Mrs Sasquatch yesterday afternoon!

The signal man is very promt at returning the signals to danger in both vids! :dancer:

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 8