Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Premium
big jim, on 24 Sept 2014 - 09:49, said:

a few from last night

did a bescot to bicester north with a rail delivery train, ran into bicester and run round to face north before dropping the rails in ardley tunnel

quite interesting to run through there at 3mph as opposed to the 100mph i used to do, there are a lot of waves of stalagtites in there where the water has been running down through the bricks, its a shame they werent in a place i was stopped to get some pics!

iphone pics again last night

first up bicester north prior to running round at 01:30

86E1BF3B-69F1-4908-9076-02CE0D4D8E75.jpg

and after the drop at 04:00 sat just outside ardely tunnel waiting to head back north

back in tomorrow on a ballast drop on the bicester town branch!

Crikey, RAIN!!!!

Seems always to be evading us down here and everything's dying off!!

• RMweb Premium
big jim, on 24 Sept 2014 - 23:47, said:

it rained all night, the only time it was dry was while i was sat in the tunnel for an hour!

We could certainly do with it down this end that's for sure, its like the Gobi Desert.

Keep the pics coming Jim!

• RMweb Gold

got a new toy today from CEX in banbury....

looks like a lens

2E094A99-A174-4B77-9FBB-8098F103CBA3.jpg

but its infact a stand alone camera

D9C43465-94E5-4AE6-BD51-A623D020BE05.jpg

but where is the view finder i hear you ask?

well it works by wifi and syncs up with an android or apple phone or tablet and used that as the viewfinder, as you can see the camera is on the dash and the ipad is showing what the camera is seeing

9E6B291C-5749-4A0B-8DFB-6E9F391F00D5.jpg

as well as seeing what the camera sees you can zoom in and out as well as adjusting exposure etc from the pad, the camera has a 10X optical zoom which is a bit weird to see moving in and out remotely when activated!!

i experimented by attaching the camera to the fence using my sainsburys gorilla grip style tripod

99BEF626-B7FC-4308-A127-B2B8DEF52662.jpg

and pushed the shutter from over by the van!

FF1004D7-FC15-4062-8832-820B92F848D2.jpg

and this is what i got

fc857d9128c678964b30abceba6c1a05.jpg

a01801ac694749b73b8368e0594fd23a.jpg

very pleased with the results, i took those using the 'intelligent' mode which adjusted the exposure etc for a night time shot

the camera is actually 18MP so pretty decent, should be interesting to use it for high up shots as ive ordered a "selfie stick" which is basically a 1m extendable pole with a camera mount on the end!

i'll still use my 30x zoom camera but this one should be handy to use should i not want to carry the big camera around

• Like 12

The US one is about 40 quid cheaper but that is to be expected due to economies of scale (and you’d probably spend that on shipping/insurance to the UK). Both prices are pretty good.  

A regular monopod should be sufficient (plus a gripper/magnetic mini tripod) as you don’t need the remote facilities of a “selfiepod”.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

John Lewis had it in Sheffield for £139 for the black one. The white one was £5 dearer. The QX100 is £299 for a better lens but it is a bigger unit and much smaller zoom.

Practising using on pint glasses and my other half who is not amused!

my other half doesn't know about mine!!

there are quite a few on ebay around the £100 mark which is what i paid for mine, despite being "second hand" it was infact unused

the app it runs with is available through the app/android store, regards ios 8 there are a lot of reviews saying that since the update the lens will not work however i'm running ios 8 on the pad and it works a treat, i've yet to update the iphone which i'll do later, so i'm hoping that when i do it will still work!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jim for letting us know about this lens. Beforehand I thought that it only worked with the Experia phone but so far it's working fine with my Samsung Galaxy phone and will have a go with the IPad later. I see a great use on the layouts.

Ian

Update... Works fine with the ipad Air running iOS 8.02

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A couple from 'our man down south'

His job was to extract 60096 from St Blazey with 56302

He worked Cardiff Canton 0Z60 to St Blazey on Friday and in his own words enjoyed saying "light diesel Blazey" to the signaller, arriving a little late due to following a unit from Plymouth through Cornwall, it was the first time he had taken a grid over the Royal Albert Bridge and was surprised that there wasn't any photographers about!!

The pics are from Friday evening in st blazey where there were a few railway staff awaiting the arrival

he posed the 56 and 60 for a photo and once coupled the evening sun shone before departing right time as 0Z61 to Bodmin.

1811D112-E506-4C3F-97A9-6D9A332B7BFB.jpg

876D7F27-9EE3-4D7C-A40C-CF1ADD5FD871.jpg

• Like 15