Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

Guest 838rapid

Knowing your missus Cheesy it would be with a blunt knife too...

Cheers for the pics of the Glasgow Museum,looks and sounds really good.

• RMweb Gold

We stayed in crimdon dene last year and that was all gbrf 66s on biomass and grand central hst's and 180s, that van backed onto the line too!

This one is just far enough away to see the trains briefly at the end of the row of vans, its not too far to walk to the bridge for decent pics though

If i get a chance i'll upload them tomorrow when i get home, only thing is once i get home i've got to leave after a few hours to hinksey and i'm not back again til wednesday!!

• RMweb Premium

The idea of a camp site next to a railway line is very tempting, but if it ever happens by accident to us, my lass has threatened to turn me into a eunock. You have a very understanding/well trained (deleate as appropriate) partner.

There is also a campsite at Burrs Country Park, right next to the East Lancs Railway. I stayed there last January for the steam gala, it was possible to watch the early morning run pasts while still in bed - but I was outside with my camera.

• RMweb Premium

The idea of a camp site next to a railway line is very tempting, but if it ever happens by accident to us, my lass has threatened to turn me into a eunock.

So what would happen if you did it on purpose?

Cheers,

Mick

Great photos.

I saw the Colas unit on the way into town with the family the other week and thought of you!

I commute into London Bridge (through lines) so have been watching  progress with interest. Your photos give a perspective we public never see.

I like the photos of Saltcoats too - not an area I know at all but looks like you've got the weather to enjoy the place!

• RMweb Gold

eastwestdivide: not sure if saltcoats features in bad weather reports but i should imagine when its rough its rough, when the wind got up there, even on a nice day it was pretty exposed

pete: 70803 is on hire to freightliner at the moment

Hi Jim,

When the west coast of Scotland get bad weather the waves are normally battering the trains passing Salcoats. At times there sre no trains running along there it all depends on how severe the high tide is.

Bruce

Hi Jim,

When the west coast of Scotland get bad weather the waves are normally battering the trains passing Salcoats. At times there sre no trains running along there it all depends on how severe the high tide is.

Bruce

Ta. Found one now for comparison - picture 7 on this page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25587246

Jim,

Thanks as usual for the lovely pictures. Just got back from a spell in hospital from the 27th! Love the pics from Saltcoats as I lived not far away at Hurlford MPD where dad was based as a driver in the fifties (we came to England in the sixties!). I have to say that the coal wagons are considerably different from the 16 toners, mixed with occasional wooden ones, which in my youth were mainly pulled by 'crabs' or 'black5s' in those days! More likely to see gunpowder vans from Ardeer than 'flasks' then as well. As has been well put above, the shots from London and elsewhere allow us laymen a chance to see parts of the railway that would otherwise be impossible to reach, for which I am truly grateful. Look forward to your next set. Hope you enjoyed the holiday, thanks again and kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

i'm hoping to get on them soon, as principal driver i should sign all forms of traction so i can assess other drivers on them, similarly the 37s, hoping to get on those too, i already know them from my DRS days and they were my basic traction with them so they wont take long to refresh

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Had an extra little job tonight, because if pathing issues the baglan logs had to be held in crewe last night and they finally got in to chirk this afternoon and i had to take it from there to hereford

Chirk...

8E0E1CA5-18A7-4102-9CF5-5852865412EC.jpg

Rush hour!!

113F48AC-1F89-4796-860E-6BB2B5F54FA3.jpg

And into hereford where i got a train back to chirk for my van

7AD12C89-97D0-420C-98B2-3022CA364248.jpg

7E8CE4A3-668E-436B-B096-D51970F7D096.jpg

Because of working late tonight i cant make the s+c to do road learning tomorrow

Edited by big jim
  • Like 15