Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Am now in a position to start laying out the scenery items. Using the PIR I made sections to the approximate shape removing the silver foil both sides (it was noticed if you left the underside on the board tended to curl, removing the second foil allowed the foam to resume a flat shape.

med_gallery_17883_2878_996176.jpg0966

med_gallery_17883_2878_807550.jpg0967

The foam was then carved using a cheap sanding block and a stanley knife and a long saw blade.

med_gallery_17883_2878_179463.jpg0967

this picture from google earth was what I saw trying to model

med_gallery_17883_2878_983953.jpg0969

the foam was then coloured with tiramisu paint from the dulux range this is very pale but seems to be a good base to match the original

med_gallery_17883_2878_534891.jpg0970

a chocolate sundae was used to shadow some areas

med_gallery_17883_2878_302633.jpg0971

then some mixed green turf was added, not too much as the colour was too dark for the finished effect, and finally a spring static grass added.

THe path needs a little darkening, I accidentally cut the foam in one place incorrectly and used copydex to join it back together, I wasn't impressed and used a cheap diall carpet / lino spray to fix it which seems ok, and pva / water was used for the grass with a static applicator.

The trees are Hornbys bare trees with a few 'leaves' added. The bigger trees are yet to be made. The existing ones I have have trunks that widen into the base and are not appropriate for this scene.

I am in the process of sorting out the levels all the way back to the hogsmeade area, and attempting to lay out the buildings that I wish to add in a manner that allows them to be photographed as cameos whilst having the whole look ok at a distance. So far I have not managed to fit everything in in a manner that pleases me. Work continues, photos will follow.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

This is coming along nicely.

I not suggesting that you go digging your tree roots but last week when digging out a trench for the garage current I had to pull out some roots from those willow trees. They make great model bare trees, just need drying out, sticking the various bits wth PVA & spray painting! 

Here's a pic

Edited by Sasquatch

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jaz,

Glad to hear about your Dad.

Some great photos as always, you really have cleared out and started again, haven't you!

Just love how you transform a chunk of raw PIR into a believable looking hillside, your scenery skills are brilliant.

As always, following with great interest.

Al.

Yeah the shame is I dont have the depth to get the rounded top, but Kal says I can always add a removable 'table' between the two sides (like wit he cove) , that would allow the extra height and depth and get some more road in, it wont happen anytime soon, so am making careful notes of which products coloured this so i can match later. Have attached a sticky label to scenery with notes.

• Like 1

Thank you for the nice comments.

My dad has bucked the odds and been transferred from ICU to a surgical ward. which means he is on the mend. After a call from a social worker I went in and asked my dad what is 1+1, he opened an eye a a bit and said 2. So I asked him what 50+50 was and he opened the same eye a shade more and looked at me as though to say what was I playing at and croaked 100.When I explained to him that due to him lying passively in the bed in ICU that the social worker appears to consider him a little gaga (the man was only off the tracheotomy for just over 24 hours and subsequently very croaky) my normally very nice and polite dad said Borrocks and when I affirmed she would get short shift he pointed out she could also go do something anatomically difficult for a woman. It's clear his brain is definitely fully active.

This means we should be looking forward to getting him home in his granny annexe some time in the (near?) future, and I will have a lot of modelling to catch up on.As I will no longer be travelling to and from the hospital.

As such more green stuff should soon be sorted photographed and popped up for evaluation.

You would think a table space of over 8ftx4ft (2440mmx1220mm)minus a bit of track for goathland station approach would provide a space quite nicely for a few cameo buildings; (Aidensfield Arms, Scripps garage, Birch Inn, Goathlands church) and a few tribute buildings; the Heartbeat Shops, Ashforldy hall and Greengrasses farm and hopefully the caravan park. Yet I am still faffing around. I have printed off google maps of each, transferred to tracing paper for minimum sizes, and attempting to make it look realistic as a whole. However once I am happy with it work will go at a quick pace as I have all the modelling fluffy bits ready.

• Like 1

Love your Dad's reaction to Social Worker   .......................    :jester:

Wow  .....................................

I have all the modelling fluffy bits ready

.........................    have you got time for that as well as the Layout and looking after your Dad    .................    what a woman   ........   :declare:

J

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

I am pleased that your dad is on the mend.  I was concerned as the posts had thinned out a bit.  Dad's are a precious commodity as most of us only have one.

As a point of interest I think that it is also quite anatomically difficult for a man as well.

Edited by ChrisN

Thank you for the nice comments.

My dad has bucked the odds and been transferred from ICU to a surgical ward. which means he is on the mend. After a call from a social worker I went in and asked my dad what is 1+1, he opened an eye a a bit and said 2. So I asked him what 50+50 was and he opened the same eye a shade more and looked at me as though to say what was I playing at and croaked 100.When I explained to him that due to him lying passively in the bed in ICU that the social worker appears to consider him a little gaga (the man was only off the tracheotomy for just over 24 hours and subsequently very croaky) my normally very nice and polite dad said Borrocks and when I affirmed she would get short shift he pointed out she could also go do something anatomically difficult for a woman. It's clear his brain is definitely fully active.

This means we should be looking forward to getting him home in his granny annexe some time in the (near?) future, and I will have a lot of modelling to catch up on.As I will no longer be travelling to and from the hospital.

Glad your dad is on the mend, great to hear.

As such more green stuff should soon be sorted photographed and popped up for evaluation.

You would think a table space of over 8ftx4ft (2440mmx1220mm)minus a bit of track for goathland station approach would provide a space quite nicely for a few cameo buildings; (Aidensfield Arms, Scripps garage, Birch Inn, Goathlands church) and a few tribute buildings; the Heartbeat Shops, Ashforldy hall and Greengrasses farm and hopefully the caravan park. Yet I am still faffing around. I have printed off google maps of each, transferred to tracing paper for minimum sizes, and attempting to make it look realistic as a whole. However once I am happy with it work will go at a quick pace as I have all the modelling fluffy bits ready.

I know what you mean about fitting the buildings on, that's the bit I'm struggling with! Trying to keep the "countryside" feel as well as getting the "required" buildings on is a nightmare! Goathland Church as a massive building too, and in reality is right at the other end of the village to the pub, nearer to Greengrass farm! All we need now is for TMC to commission the row of shops lol. I'll be interested to see what you come up with. It's also noticeable how much room the Goathland Hotel takes up, especially if place opposite Scripps as in real life!

Went to the Peterborough show on Sunday and picked up a lovely telephone box with lights in to go outside the Birch Hall Inn!

Keep up the great work

mkwolf1877

I know where you are coming from.........

Not only is Goathland church a good size, but in order to do it justice in a cameo of it you have to allocate it a lot of 'land'.

I would like to have the Aidensfield Arms and Scripps lined up so that the short scripps building is near the edge of the table, I want to incorporate the whole or part of the carpark and the road on the rhs which means at some time making the missing bit of the building.

I want the road to run into the shops and the green, so the main road and the shops road are sorted, leaving enough space for correctly modelled buildings to be added later.

The corner from the shops  around to the church is probably beyond me.,

I want the church and its graveyard etc, I would like the red tiled rooftops of the buildings behind, but I am just about certan there is no space for buildings, a drop in photographic backdrop might solve that problem. I want the curve around the church incorporated.

Getting Greengrasses farm and the caravan park with its sprawling buildings will be difficult plus initially it will be a Hornby tribute not a real lookalike. It will need to back up against a wall as it sprawls too far to incorporate everything.

Losing Hogsmeade might help, but I am loathe to move Hogsmeade and thus Hogwarts, it would mean removing the RAF area from here completely. Potentially moving Greengrass to a new area is a possibility.Stripping out more of our work isn't something I want. Kal said dropping some of the buildings and their orientations as single elements around the whole loft could overcome my issues. Especially as we just cant run at 90 degrees out of the station up to Aidensfield Arms and onto the shops before a 90 degree to the Church and another 90 degree to Greengrasses, plus add the three elements that are not even in Goathland;

I want to do the Police House as a tribute, I have the Hornby building withthe blue door even if the porch is wrong.

I want Ashfordly Hall  as a tribute, another Hornby building with 'ivy' added will be creditable.

I want Birch Inn with a good facsimile of the river and the double portal bridge and the building opposite.

I think I have to bite the bullet and do just the Goathland based elements here, and site the others elsewhere, even though I have already cut out a river for Birch Inn in such a manner as to also incorporate Malyans Spout. Luckily it is on 100mm foarm and can be moved.

I think it safe to say Sheffield park station might end up as close as we can get it, but the other buildings and nearby scenery will end up as a tribute, although I will endeavour to get the geographical layout of the land and roads, which would allow improvements at some future date without ripping everything to pieces again.

Ho hummmm.

• Like 2

:O ............................

it would mean removing the RAF area from here completely.  ........

I didn't know you were secretly working for MoD (Air)  .......................................................................................................................   :triniti:

J

mkwolf1877

I know where you are coming from.........

Not only is Goathland church a good size, but in order to do it justice in a cameo of it you have to allocate it a lot of 'land'.

I would like to have the Aidensfield Arms and Scripps lined up so that the short scripps building is near the edge of the table, I want to incorporate the whole or part of the carpark and the road on the rhs which means at some time making the missing bit of the building.

I want the road to run into the shops and the green, so the main road and the shops road are sorted, leaving enough space for correctly modelled buildings to be added later.

The corner from the shops  around to the church is probably beyond me.,

I want the church and its graveyard etc, I would like the red tiled rooftops of the buildings behind, but I am just about certan there is no space for buildings, a drop in photographic backdrop might solve that problem. I want the curve around the church incorporated.

Getting Greengrasses farm and the caravan park with its sprawling buildings will be difficult plus initially it will be a Hornby tribute not a real lookalike. It will need to back up against a wall as it sprawls too far to incorporate everything.

Losing Hogsmeade might help, but I am loathe to move Hogsmeade and thus Hogwarts, it would mean removing the RAF area from here completely. Potentially moving Greengrass to a new area is a possibility.Stripping out more of our work isn't something I want. Kal said dropping some of the buildings and their orientations as single elements around the whole loft could overcome my issues. Especially as we just cant run at 90 degrees out of the station up to Aidensfield Arms and onto the shops before a 90 degree to the Church and another 90 degree to Greengrasses, plus add the three elements that are not even in Goathland;

I want to do the Police House as a tribute, I have the Hornby building withthe blue door even if the porch is wrong.

I want Ashfordly Hall  as a tribute, another Hornby building with 'ivy' added will be creditable.

I want Birch Inn with a good facsimile of the river and the double portal bridge and the building opposite.

I think I have to bite the bullet and do just the Goathland based elements here, and site the others elsewhere, even though I have already cut out a river for Birch Inn in such a manner as to also incorporate Malyans Spout. Luckily it is on 100mm foarm and can be moved.

I think it safe to say Sheffield park station might end up as close as we can get it, but the other buildings and nearby scenery will end up as a tribute, although I will endeavour to get the geographical layout of the land and roads, which would allow improvements at some future date without ripping everything to pieces again.

Ho hummmm.

What you thinking of using for Ashfordly Hall?

r8782 Hornby Farm House is my choice for the moment

med_gallery_17883_2793_398453.jpg

This, the pale green buildings at the back middle, was our earlier incarnation of Arboretum Valleys version of Heartbeats Ashfordly Hall, using the same Hornby building

It is a nice large building, I have the outbuildings as well,but if you notice the gables, and add some 'ivy' and compare it to Ashfordly Hall or it's real life counterpart Thornton Watlass Hall, Ripon, North Yorkshire

29.jpg

the Hall pictures copied from Thornton Watlass Hall's Web page.

I think that this Hornby building has the majesty in size and some of the architectural grandness to carry this off. It would effectively look like half the hall, but I think add the side buildings and a nice lawn and some Heartbeat elements and it should do a creditable job.

image441.jpg

image440.jpg

image509.jpg

104.jpg

Plenty of inspiration

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

I think some weathering powders can also bring the colour more in line whilst not permenantly changing the Hornby building itself. That with the 'ivy', some cobbles, appropriate vehicles, a filming crew, and I think we will be cooking with gas.

I have bought the elements the elements already, the only thing I still need is some horses and riders. 

Mallyan Spout will also be featured

The original waterfall in Arboretum Valley was based on some frozen waterfalls as it was in the Magical area near Harry Potter.

A gentleman called Adrian Harrison kindly put this picture up on flickr

5234989054_ebabc96b10_z.jpg

Sayzey on TrekEarth uploaded this one

spout1.jpg

Ian Brittain put this one up on Freefoto

1051_05_69---Mallyan-Spout-waterfall_web

Mallyon Sput (spelt wrong) by Feather also TrekEarth

mallyon_spout_021.jpg

Some youtube videos show a green seat, and there is set of steps nearby

• Like 2