Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

• RMweb Gold

Another confusing thing....

Who likes marmite?

For those that do not, how do you deal with that? Me.... I just don't buy it.

However, there seems to be another solution....

Join a forum and complain constantly how rubbish it is..

:jester:

Marmite was a banned substance in our house as my wife hates it.  I love it.  We now have a pot but I only have it when she is out.

The first daughter-in-law loves in so the grandchildren love it as well.  Score!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Another up conundrum. At Exeter St Davids, you can get an UP train to London in both directions. One via the Great Western to Taunton and one via the South Western route via Salisbury.

Chester was similar, with GW and LNW trains departing in opposite direction to the capital.

And one for Kal (and me!), the Lancashire and Yorkshire used (and still does) up to Lanky from the lower echelons of Yorkshire................... Waiting for pro yorkie replies :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

Where is the .....

And one for Kal (and me!), the Lancashire and Yorkshire used (and still does) up to Lanky from the lower echelons of Yorkshire................... Waiting for pro yorkie replies

...   sharp intake of breathe Icon?   ........     :angel:

The line from Exeter St David's to Salisbury went UP ..  hill too    ...........................    through a 1/2 [ish] mile tunnel   ....................................    from a standing start    ..........    I reckon the Drivers were not too unhappy when steam changed to diesel   .....    :senile:

• Like 2

yorkie, hmmm. Got me thinking, Yorkshire is a bit like the uk equivilent of Kentucky.

So i came up with these words to the tune of the beverley hillbillies... Needs work, but it is a start. for none commonwealth readers, eerr.... Hmmmm, cricket, Lancashire vs. Yorkshire pretenders..... Well think American civil war , just more serious.... Anyways....

I tell you a story about a man named Geoff

A poor cricket man, never had a single laugh

And then one day he was standing at the crease

When up from the ground came some doubling speed

Balls that is. croft Gold

The next thing you know

old jeff is out of there

He looks to dickie bird,

But he wont be helped from there.

He picks up his bat and has a huff and moan

And turns to the stands with a terrible groan

Yorks that is , battered down

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm currently sat on a London Midland train on the WCML watching the six foot and ten foot to see what's in them. OK, so maybe not a typical line, but it's amazing what an RMWeb discussion can change my attention to for a two hour trip!

Edit to say posted from just south of Rugby :)

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 3

I'm currently sat on a London Midland train on the WCML watching the six foot and ten foot to see what's in them. OK, so maybe not a typical line, but it's amazing what an RMWeb discussion can change my attention to for a two hour trip!

Edit to say posted from just south of Rugby :)

Have you taken any reference pictures?

• Like 2

Another up conundrum. At Exeter St Davids, you can get an UP train to London in both directions. One via the Great Western to Taunton and one via the South Western route via Salisbury.

Chester was similar, with GW and LNW trains departing in opposite direction to the capital.

The GWR one will be the correct one ;)

It's probably from there that the whole system evolved... Down House (in Downe, but spelled without the e) was the home of Charles Darwin  :jester:

When I was at School the Downe House Gels were jolly nice Gels...

It's an interesting point you raise. Up has always been conflated with towards something, and Down with away, although there is no obvious corollary.

Take the case (although not as commonly used nowadays) of students at Universities - to be Up at Cambridge or Oxford was to be present during term time, and to go Down from either was to leave the university - whether by choice or, in less pleasant cases, to be Sent Down meaning to be expelled.

Reminds me of that old one about explaining cricket to a foreigner:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Have you taken any reference pictures?

Well... I did, but travelling at 100 mph and trying to take photos through the window with my phone didn't result in anything visible. Unfortunately as well, being on the train meant that when there was no ten foot (ie when the line is just double) I couldn't actually see the four foot as it's almost below me! However, having done the initial scouting trip I will take my camera next time, which is much faster, so will be able to take lots of reference pictures of empty four foot for you!

Though I could say that the pictures showing nothing useful are a fairly good representation of what was there. In the six foot there was a massive lack of anything beyond the occasional speed restriction sign between stations. In stations, and in the approaches, if the six foot widened then there were occasional boxes, but nothing significant. Even in the ten foot there was little. The catenary was there and, in some places, splashes of vegetation. Sometimes a few grids over drains or holes, but generally fairly empty.

As I said in my post from the train it's not exactly typical as the line was significantly improved a few years ago for the faster trains. So it is distinctly possible that this resulted in some removal of things that may otherwise have impeded tilting trains. But I suspect rather that there simply wasn't much there as the space was never much until lines were removed through stations etc leaving space for more junk.

Well... I did, but travelling at 100 mph and trying to take photos through the window with my phone didn't result in anything visible. Unfortunately as well, being on the train meant that when there was no ten foot (ie when the line is just double) I couldn't actually see the four foot as it's almost below me! However, having done the initial scouting trip I will take my camera next time, which is much faster, so will be able to take lots of reference pictures of empty four foot for you!

Though I could say that the pictures showing nothing useful are a fairly good representation of what was there. In the six foot there was a massive lack of anything beyond the occasional speed restriction sign between stations. In stations, and in the approaches, if the six foot widened then there were occasional boxes, but nothing significant. Even in the ten foot there was little. The catenary was there and, in some places, splashes of vegetation. Sometimes a few grids over drains or holes, but generally fairly empty.

As I said in my post from the train it's not exactly typical as the line was significantly improved a few years ago for the faster trains. So it is distinctly possible that this resulted in some removal of things that may otherwise have impeded tilting trains. But I suspect rather that there simply wasn't much there as the space was never much until lines were removed through stations etc leaving space for more junk.

I can sympathise a lot of the pictures we take when on the train are bin fodder.

Billboard Adverts. Modern ones get lighting and fancy finishes. But these are from the 1960s

med_gallery_17883_3149_564789.jpgrmwebb3091detailing1

some not too thin balsa

med_gallery_17883_3149_427328.jpgrmweb3092detailing2

for a shop bought item I was a bit disappointed to see the top of the letters are not on the billboard!!!

med_gallery_17883_3149_295772.jpgrmweb3093detailing3

I have coloron wood effect, but I went with black\

med_gallery_17883_3149_51805.jpgrmweb3094detailing4

2 matchsticks from a pack I bought from Jarvis

med_gallery_17883_3149_41836.jpgrmweb3095detailing5

while the glue is drying, one I made previously well two if you count the big one as well. These are on Kalboro temporarily.

med_gallery_17883_3149_720170.jpgrmweb3096detailing6

Quick simple nothing clever.

• Like 5

med_gallery_17883_3149_326538.jpgrweb3097detailing7

half are dark born plastic half red brown plastic

med_gallery_17883_3149_157227.jpgrmweb3098detailing8

some painted some not

first layer of paint need not be too accurate

med_gallery_17883_3149_283920.jpgrmweb3099detailing9

mix some black with the brown for the straps and handles

med_gallery_17883_3149_422518.jpgrmweb3100detailing

the paint tends to spread, so I have two of the micro brushes on the go, one black one brown one in my mouth one in my hand

the colours I used

med_gallery_17883_3149_240246.jpgrmweb3101detailing11

• Like 5

the suitcases tend to be dirty. They often look like leather, the better ones are leather, the cheeper ones however are just a cardboard affair that look like leather.

the Citadel weathering is good for giving that dirty look and killing any shine.

med_gallery_17883_3149_18897.jpgrmweb3102detailing12

med_gallery_17883_3149_107377.jpgrmweb3101detailing13

cover part of the suitcase and trunks with the Agraxearth

med_gallery_17883_3149_296594.jpgrmweb3104detailing14

med_gallery_17883_3149_322430.jpgrmweb3114detailing15

use the Seraphina Sepia for the other half, one is brownish dirt and the other a yellowy orangery brown

and dried

\med_gallery_17883_3149_43421.jpgrmweb3116detailing16

with a pair of scissors and a piece of paper I cut some labels, 

med_gallery_17883_3149_118644.jpgrmweb3118detailing18

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I have two of the micro brushes on the go, one black one brown one in my mouth one in my hand

I'm very impressed you can get that detail with the brush in your mouth  :jester:

The trollies, cases and trunks look really good. I'm going to have to get some of those to scatter on the platform! Have to say I'm not too impressed with the cut off tops on the posters either. I see that Michael Caine has lost the top of his head in Alfie as well. But... what you have then done with them is brilliant, they really look the part, though maybe on your film set areas as I'm not sure they're quite what the era that Kal refers to as "tomorrow"  :devil:

Kind regards, Neil

I'm very impressed you can get that detail with the brush in your mouth  :jester:

The trollies, cases and trunks look really good. I'm going to have to get some of those to scatter on the platform! Have to say I'm not too impressed with the cut off tops on the posters either. I see that Michael Caine has lost the top of his head in Alfie as well. But... what you have then done with them is brilliant, they really look the part, though maybe on your film set areas as I'm not sure they're quite what the era that Kal refers to as "tomorrow"  :devil:

Kind regards, Neil

The local cinema is doing a retro special......original films no upgrades.... :sungum:

• Like 2

on Kalboro platform

med_gallery_17883_3149_86819.jpgrmweb3119detailing19

popped onto Goathland / Heartbeat area at the local bed and breakfast someone does not know how to travel light!!!! :O

med_gallery_17883_3001_283994.jpgrmweb3010detailing20

med_gallery_17883_3001_44655.jpgrmweb3011detailing21

med_gallery_17883_3001_591767.jpgrmweb3012detailing22

• Like 4

I was quite pleased with my cases and trunks, Jaz, but those are fabulous.  I really needed to do the shading on the leather as well.  One thing I did differently was use metallics for the catches and hinges.

Because mine will be used on the heritage area in the long run, probably as props on the station. and I have a couple of cases which you can see above and they have not faired well over the years and the locks are somewhat rusty. These are the cardboard posing as leather type. Which is why they don't get wiped clean much, a good clean might cause them to fall apart.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2