Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

I certainly remember being a millionaire on School Trips*, Jamie.

Anyway, because of the currency change one no longer spends a penny on the continent, it's now called euronation...

*To Italy and Turkey ;)

• Like 1

Ah well nothing so exciting.....old Newspaper from both the 40s and the 60s, my dad made it into the local news, even the nationals and even onto TV. And my mum bought any paper that referred to it. I think there are a couple of copies of most of them.

med_gallery_17883_3149_333285.jpgrmweb3015detailing25

As for Rome, it was me that went on holiday. I think the most popular item I bought back was a chocolate tin (of the Mars variety as my uncle worked for them went with me, myself and college friends ate those choccies) and I bought it back with a massive slab of white chocolate which I gave to my older brother, who likes to reminisce on this...swears it was the best chocolate ever. There would have been other chocolate, and booze which I was just old enough to buy. Other than that I bought myself a pair of Italian burgundy suede ankle boots. Which I still own.There would have been presents for the rest of the family, but off hand I can't remember them.Mum and dad would have got the best presents. Oh some marquetry pictures from Serrento near Naples for my mum, my dad still has these.And a lot of picture slides of Rome Naples and the galleries I spent the majority of my time in.Being an art student I wanted to see the Sistine Chapel. I saw the pope, as I walked a cross to my hotel, the crowds were immense, he was out on the balcony. Oh I bought my mum prayer beads, then found out CofE don't do the Pope.

Switzerland's haul was much more fun a cow bell, a small traditional doll for my cousin, 2 horn handles knives, a wooden jewellery box - for my mum - which I now own. A swiss army knife for my dad, and in those days you could I believe buy flick knives although I didn't. And a LOT of chocolate. Oh and a chess set.I liked a carved owl but it would have used up almost my whole spending money, and was fascinated by the cuckoo clocks. I used to wear the miniature (about 2 inches) bell on a piece of ribbon with edelweiss embroidered on it, when I went around even to discos....much to the merriment of my school friends.....perhaps it's why I have such a liking for moo cows LOL.

My dad would always give me cash and say spend it on yourself....and I would always return with presents. Oh and small change was appreciated by my brother who liked foreign coins.

So if you were hoping for anything nefarious....I am sorry to dash your hopes. An extra odd bottle of vino / spirits was usually my only offence.My dad did like to buy unusual liquors.Hence my liking for cocktails.

speaking of cow bells.....

Moo cows :jester:  Yar yar I know I have down cows two times already, but tho addresses ones bought from other people who have painted them

these were quite nicely painted and perfectly good for plonk on the layout, I spoke to the seller and it was obvious he had the capability of painting them better, but as he has to make a profit, he makes them reasonable within a given time. So I though I would 'top' them up.

med_gallery_17883_3112_280202.jpgrmweb2862show67

I also have a nice single painted cow from the same show. The lady who painted them used  good matt paint, so no nasty pastil shine, and this means it photograph well.

this is the original cows, unaltered

med_gallery_17883_3112_378264.jpgrmweb3016detailing26

and when you look at images of cows there are pretty good

the one to the left is from the mixed pack and the one to the right is the individually painted model, not a good picture, but Unitmodels products are nicely painted IMO

med_gallery_17883_3112_218705.jpgrmweb3017detailing27

The most noticeable thing, not too noticeable in the picture sorry, is the single one has coloured hooves, she has used a weathering opaque colour and it makes a difference

this is 3 of the pack

the far right as from the pack, the middle one I have coloured the hooves, the left one I have added some dirt and shadow under the belly on the inside of the legs and dirtied the end  of the tail, why the end of the tail? think about it...cow pats...... :O

med_gallery_17883_3112_365798.jpgrmweb3018detailing28

• Like 2

the original is now on the left, and my tarted one on the right

I added some white to make the colouring similar to the unit models just because I liked the way she painted it, then adding the Citadel aggraxearth for the shadows, dirt, and  hooves. I also put a dab of yellow on the ear as cows are usually tagged.

med_gallery_17883_3112_21539.jpgrmweb3019detailing29

I decided when I photographed it the dirt on the shoulder was a bit OTT so I popped some white back on.

then did a similar job on the rest of the pack of cows.

med_gallery_17883_3112_208417.jpgrmweb3020detailing30

Cows left out in the field often get muddier, especially if they lie down, and once in the dairy they often get cleaning up so no muck in the milk, and especially cleaned for photo taking for shows etc.

• Like 6

f memory serves [and this is by no means certain these days  ...   :scratchhead:  ]  ..................   

Cows left out in the field often get muddier, especially if they lie down, and once in the dairy they often get cleaning up so no muck in the milk,

......   it was the mud on the udder and not the udder other sides of the hide, wot got a cloth applied - at least I think that was what I spied, stood observing on the side   ........

...........    didn't do to stand too close either, as some of them had a hefty kick available   .......   head height too as they were on a raised platform to make udder access easier  .......    :O

• Like 1

There is too much light to photograph the cows well but regardless

med_gallery_17883_3112_138714.jpgrmweb3021detailing31

at the front is the bull, who broke out of his field, into the cows field and out onto the road...looking for greener grass? He is a member of the anti insemination party......

the bull to the right is the one i repainted, the Unitmodels one to the left I have not repainted, it is nicely painted, and can represent a clean bull.

med_gallery_17883_3112_35799.jpg

you'll notice the group pack is not so shiny now I added aggrax earth shade which dulls the shiny surface of the black. You can get shine on the cows coats in real life but in a group I think it spoils the picture.

and although these cows are quit nice i prefer more black, there is some shine but to be fair the light is very strong

med_gallery_17883_3112_508814.jpgrmweb3023detailing33

natural light in front of me

med_gallery_17883_3112_245089.jpgrmweb3024detailing34

natural light behind me

• Like 6

...I think the most popular item I bought back was a chocolate tin (of the Mars variety as my uncle worked for them went with me, myself and college friends ate those choccies) and I bought it back with a massive slab of white chocolate which I gave to my older brother, who likes to reminisce on this...swears it was the best chocolate ever. There would have been other chocolate, and booze which I was just old enough to buy...

Candy was dandy, but the liquor was quicker...

the farmer has been made aware of the breaks in the fence and he has hotfooted in his tryst land rover to come see where they are, the lorry has ground to a halt and the land rover guessing what is going on is overtaking, he is building up his courage to try and grab the bull and tie him to the back of the vehicle and hopefully lead him back....and hope the bull does not rip his nose as he is a show animal

he is also thinking he should have grabbed his dog!!!

med_gallery_17883_3112_163778.jpgrmweb3025detailing35

and hopes the bull does not break through the nearby fence.....and fall to his death!!!!!

med_gallery_17883_3112_300567.jpgrmweb3026detailing36

• Like 7

There seems to be something missing in those pictures   .......    7 cattle on the loose and it is still a bit clean   ......   you are guilty of B*** Sh**   ................    Oh wait a minute, you can't be   .....    that's what is missing     :jester:  :jester:

Oops - School Gate ..   NOW!

Edited by jcredfer

ooooh weird or what.....alternative reality.....

the cows are more black, the bull is leading them in the other direction.....continuity error???

med_gallery_17883_3112_207696.jpgrmweb3027detailing37

med_gallery_17883_3112_607861.jpgrmweb3028deailing38

a birds eye view

med_gallery_17883_3112_223274.jpgrmweb3029detailing39

Hopefully later they will be in the field calm again. The farmer rang his brother who is going to tow a trailer temporarily into position to stop escape, he will bring out some new stock fence and they will do a quick repair. The Bull on the other hand will go inside and have a mild tranquilliser as he is probably pretty hyped up.

There seems to be something missing in those pictures   .......    7 cattle on the loose and it is still a bit clean   ......   you are guilty of B*** Sh**   ................    Oh wait a minute, you can't be   .....    that's what is missing     :jester:  :jester:

Oops - School Gate ..   NOW!

when I pop them on the field I'll add some authenticity.........mind yer feet.....

• Like 1

when I pop them on the field I'll add some authenticity.........mind yer feet.....

not sure I wanna know  - fake pats I hope......

as for milking only the teets or udder gets cleaned depending on mucky state, most these days use a mini jet spray but some still prefer to hand wash old school. as said above when in milk pit one keeps eye out or you will get messed on, had a few near misses when talking to dairy lads - fun tanker days lol.

edit:

having seen bulls go through stone/brick walls a 2 mile gap is wise, or let bull hit the tanker while you drive off.

Edited by yorkie_pudd

Its shocking how big there are 'growing' them nowadays.....reminds me of The Chrysalids by John Wyndham.....when there was an argument over some shires being bigger than God intended.

tumblr_mt72skNp411qzou5ko1_500.jpg1-would-refer-not-to-tumble.com

bull2.jpgknudsennews.com

and a link

http://knudsennews.blogspot.co.uk/2008/05/what-lot-of-bull.html

6ft6in at the shoulder. 2000mm they have entered him for the Guiess Book of Records.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

While take the pictures of the moo cows, the sun started to draw in...

With the sun in behind me

med_gallery_17883_3001_90443.jpgrmweb3030heartbeat1

you get the impression i have added lighting....but it is my shadow causing this effect, but the trees are reflecting in the for, and a nice shadow is leading your eye into the building, showing off the detailing. One of those 4pm afternoon late summer hobbies, when you get out in the car and are absolutely 'blinded'!!!!!! :blind:

and the glare strains your eyes....

med_gallery_17883_3001_137535.jpgrmweb3031heartbeat2

• Like 6

more setting sun

med_gallery_17883_3001_401247.jpgrmweb3035heartbeat6

........and whose taking the pictures? is some one climbing trees?

med_gallery_17883_3001_271123.jpgrmweb3033heartbeat4

an open topped bus

med_gallery_17883_3001_265541.jpgrmweb3032heartbeat3

and some nutter has a beehive near the road, I hope the poise car is about to investigate!!!!

is it busy because its home time? Or are the bees swarming?

med_gallery_17883_3001_327579.jpgrmweb3034heartbeat5

ah...oh.....apparently some one is throwing apples at the traffic, and the police are here to catch them!!!!

BAA!!!!!!

crickey someone just hit a sheep......and he's racing towards the copper!!!!

med_gallery_17883_3001_558914.jpgrmweb3037heartbeat8

where's Nick Rowan when you need him!!!!!! (nick....nick....get it????.......)

• Like 5

A quick picture or two of Goathland part built with the new suitcases 

med_gallery_17883_3001_237995.jpgrmweb3038heartbeat9

there is meant to be a wall in front of the sleeping coaches

but what with the light and the new suitcases and trunks

med_gallery_17883_3001_530779.jpgrmweb3039

that platform looks awful though......I think I need a sander and a paint brush......

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

We had a suitcase like your dad's.  It must have had a leather outside but it was at least half the size of that one.  The handle was broken and had been replaced with string or twine.  It had a very special job in our house.  My wife always packed it when she was pregnant ready to go into hospital.  My wife was in labour on and off for about three days with our third son.  I went to work on the Monday and all was quiet.  When I came home she was standing on the doorstep waiting for me waving the case so I knew that this time it was all systems go!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

med_gallery_17883_3149_333285.jpgrmweb3015detailing25

As for Rome, it was me that went on holiday.

What? In the suitcase? Bad, bad parents..................... Or maybe good parents wanting to save an airfare..........

:jester:

Cheers,

Mick

A quick picture or two of Goathland part built with the new suitcases 

med_gallery_17883_3001_237995.jpgrmweb3038heartbeat9

there is meant to be a wall in front of the sleeping coaches

there really ought to be a wall for dacency's sake.......what with all that luggage - just how many are squashing into that Camping Coach?

If I were that Station Master I'd be anxiously poring over the small print of BTC Hotels and Catering, Marylebone 'supplementary regulations', May to September 1958,  Schedule 7 para 4.1:  'Camping Coaches, Improper uses of'  :scratchhead:

dhig

What? In the suitcase? Bad, bad parents..................... Or maybe good parents wanting to save an airfare..........

:jester:

Cheers,

Mick

In that pic it was the freddy laker ticket I noticed more the original low cost airline pushed out by the big boys, and fore runner to todays budget airlines.

moo ving along with jaz`s cow moments of yesterday I  just had to take ( a poor) pic of one of my sisters birthday cards for her..

post-14408-0-39736500-1412205827_thumb.jpg

but seen as jaz has moo ved from cows to sheep I can only say  goodnight singing to Ilkley moo baaa tat     :pardon:   :jester:   :P

Platforms look old well used as Goathland should be for its age, need to raise a cash drive again.

• Like 2