Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Ah ok I c

You mean flat , i was picturing a vertical mould.

But when I say walls I mean brick and stone faced walls, to use to make buildings etc. plaster and resin are not so forgiving, but car filler is flexible.

I would probably make a plywood mould, and the scribe the courses in the face when dry.

I will try it and see what happens

• RMweb Premium

How many thousand posts? That's the excuse for the party right there lads!! 

A4's                        Check

Beer                       Check

Camera batteries   Check

Cool

But if it is a party it also needs

White sheet....check

Regimental belt......check

High leg combat boots.....check

Toga toga...

Now we just need a nurses party to crash

Edited by Kal
  • Like 1

I simply love modelling water as well as trees, and just posted this on another thread, then thought I should put this up on our own

When it comes to 'flat' water I like varnish, the good old fashioned gloss that comes out a honey colour

I paint the base black add blue in the middle and brown wood dye to the outside, put stone and fluff in the bottom and build up the layer, covering the products

the honey tone of the varnish does a lot 

med_gallery_17883_2878_758281.jpgonce dry only partly coated in places to make ripples

med_gallery_17883_3001_138221.jpga couple of coats of varnish on 9mmboard

here i took the blue of the sky and tried to reflect it

this pond is a work still in progress

med_gallery_17883_3001_18840.jpgusing up the end of a tin of varnish

so far with just a bit of grass added, plenty more to do

this is now partly covered up as we ripped this area up to redo

8646363900_0ea859f2af_c.jpg

and a small bit of my waterfall

8942279316_f9580b9864_c.jpg

No photoshopping of water, pictures taken preferably at dusk, with nice shadows (we have velux windows in the loft)

I like to try and take the picture as though from the eyes of a model in the layout.

Hope this helps anyone interested in water.  We are doing a number of links from our front page to water features, if you are interested.

I am still  - when I get a chance working on the waterfall on the weir, once it is near competition I will use the reference pictures to do some how to's. touching on both flat and falling water.

• Like 1

Oh yes, I nearly forgot  .............................

Well can you name one other reason to move here?.....go on...... Just one

Shelter from prevailing wet weather, behind the Pennines?  .....  :good:

Yorkshire Moors and Pennines close by?  .....  :nyam:

Central to lots of Rail Shows?  .....  :locomotive:

Lots of Some RAF Jets and the Memorial Flight on the doorstep?  ....   :pilot:

Not near London, so you can drive places without having to take a sleeping bag for the traffic jams?  .....  :ireful:

Then there is .............      Scotland ..  a beautiful country, with fantastic scenery, to visit  ...............................................................................   where you are living is not what else Scotland has to offer it's residents   ......   :meeting:

On the other hand it isn't Wiltshire, so it is a long way for me to get to see your Layout................      :cry:  :cry:

• Like 1

p.s. you may have noticed I have not left yet....and am feeling rather envious.....I shall have to indulge in a BIG CREAM CAKE to compensate......

The Penniines is north of us.....

The Pennines and yorkshire moors are still a Lonnng way north of us

Railway shows, not too bad.....

We do get LOTS of interesting planes over us, most weekends in the summer for the oldies, and plenty of modern stuff, doing dog fight movements

Not near London, hey we get traffic queues, at least a tractor and 2 cars on these roads and u have a problem....

Scotland is way way north, we are not even close enough to go have a quick peak at Goathland and the NYMR

isn't it Wilstshire and  Avon now? We lived there and never went (edit = into we looked about outside) to the Cheddar Gorge or the spas at Bath. We have visited much more here...

Edited by Jaz

Cool

But if it is a party it also needs

White sheet....check

Regimental belt......check

High leg combat boots.....check

Toga toga...

Now we just need a nurses party to crash

If you're waiting for the bus load of nurses from Rinteln I've been waiting since 1990, and there was a Sweat at the same party who'd been waiting since National Service...

Well I agree to a point, but, coaches and wagon rakes could be pulled by many different locos, so rather than have multiple rakes, leave them on the layout and just change the engine.

Plus from what I have seen, other than set eg hst, most rakes are a mix of odds and sods of what was available.

Is rake the correct term for wagons or just coaches?

Think rake can be for both, no one has told me other wise.

I have to admit the more you look into loco hauled/propelled coach rakes the more often you see real mixed bags, Mk1s, Mk2a - f in rakes, with even Mk3s in the mix, all in different liveries and that's in the late '80s early '90s. There really is almost a prototype for anything goes.

My ratios are approx. about 4 locos to 5 individual coaches and about loco 1 to 0.75 of an individual wagon, it has been a while since I've really checked but that was about it last time I did, may have more wagons now.

Roy

• Like 1

Hi

I think you need one rake or maybe two of trains you want to run, or else you will quickly run out of space on where to put them even on the largest of layouts.

That is what I am aiming at.  For example I have a steel train rake, no reason why I could not have 4 or 5 different locos pulling it from time to time. It also give the locos a rest and time to maintain or detail lcocs, without losing use of the train.

Hi

I think you need one rake or maybe two of trains you want to run, or else you will quickly run out of space on where to put them even on the largest of layouts.

That is what I am aiming at.  For example I have a steel train rake, no reason why I could not have 4 or 5 different locos pulling it from time to time. It also give the locos a rest and time to maintain or detail lcocs, without losing use of the train.

Hi

That's exactly what I've done, Kal, with 6, 8 and 10 coach passenger rakes. Also mineral and van sets. It's the only way to work unless you have massive space - and cash - for ladder fiddle-yards such as can be seen on Peterborough North.

My layout is all about a large shed to hold locos for fitting on these existing rakes. There's a video of it on Peterkern23's Corrugated roofing thread.

Tony.

• Like 1

HI Tony

I was just looking at your layout on youtube, Jaz just watched it and I have to say that I would be happy with that if it was my layout, well deserving of a thread.

If you prefer, to test the water, please feel free to post some here on AV, I am sure the reaction will be positive.

If you post on AV, just label them clearly as your layout so people are not confused and we can put a link in the index as we have done for some other layouts posted on here.

Same applies to anyone else that wishes to dip their toes... just mark it clearly. I feel this is a shared hobby and any input adds to everyones enjoyment.

Edited by Kal
  • Like 2

OK a sidestep....wagons

Sasquatch can I pick your brains, as I know you build wagons

I want to weather some of the wagons, the EWS is the one we were looking at, but Kal is trying something with it, and I need to test the colours, so I grabbed the last one of these

which appears to be a 8 plank wood 

med_gallery_17883_3119_230730.jpgrmweb594wagon7

I used phoenix precision p979 track colour - weathered sleepers

plus humbrol white 34, humbrol 62 a brown, and humbrol met 55 bronze I think

med_gallery_17883_3119_398372.jpgrmweb588wagon1

The white was added to the teak to stop it being a uniform colour

The bronze was dabbed on to the gown to make it a thick rust effect.

med_gallery_17883_3119_285721.jpgrmweb589wagon2

On the floor is the wattle fences which I am painting

revell wood brown 382 and 88 ochre, the ochre is supposed to be where sunlight has hit the wood. I am not finished with them, but like a butterfly have moved on temporarily.

Anyway as I mentioned, Sasquatch, and anyone else who wishes to answer, does the teak wood effect and the initial browns which i hope represent rust look ok, and have you done similar and what did you use? Would you link to a picture on your about via your gallery, because there is some great photos, but i admit i am clueless. I just googled for worn wooden truck and found a 6 plank.

old-wagon-wooden-railway-to-transport-godreamstime.com

A link to this wagon as I paint more

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-paint-yer-wagoni-was-born-under-wandering-star/page-124&do=findComment&comment=1336991

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

Jaz is keen on starting some repaints and weathering of stock, so I dug out these never was wagons in EWS livery.

The Wagons say YGB  :nono:  but it is clear they are not sea cows. they turned out to be 21 tonne mineral wagons and as such never survived long enough to be used by EWS.

While i am removing the body, I think I will have a go at adding NEM pockets.

med_gallery_17883_3119_35992.jpg

Edited by Kal
  • Like 2

So First Job was to try and free the body from the frame.

In the picture you can see the reddish plastic tabs that hold it on poking through the underframe, the two to the right are the ones you want to lever to reeve the top.

The two to the left are just retaining hooks and do not need to be levered.

med_gallery_17883_3119_104207.jpg

Edited by Kal

The plastic the top is made from is quite brittle, so be careful, I managed to break one tab, but a bit of CA managed to re attach it

med_gallery_17883_3119_53723.jpg

Here you can see the other side with the hooks, do not try and bend them.

med_gallery_17883_3119_168475.jpg

Finally you can see the under frame with the Kadee inserted in one pocket and a Hornby short coupling in the other. I will have Kadees on the end of rakes and interconnect the rake with the Hornby short couplings in future.

Unfortunately, I only thought of doing pictures after I had done them, but.....  if anyone really wants, I can show how I cut and fixed the pockets on the next one.

med_gallery_17883_3119_476508.jpg

med_gallery_17883_3119_62294.jpg

med_gallery_17883_3119_566913.jpg

• Like 4

HI Tony

I was just looking at your layout on youtube, Jaz just watched it and I have to say that I would be happy with that if it was my layout, well deserving of a thread.

If you prefer, to test the water, please feel free to post some here on AV, I am sure the reaction will be positive.

If you post on AV, just label them clearly as your layout so people are not confused and we can put a link in the index as we have done for some other layouts posted on here.

Same applies to anyone else that wishes to dip their toes... just mark it clearly. I feel this is a shared hobby and any input adds to everyones enjoyment.

You're very kind, both of you. I've a new camera to get my head round and my main concern is decent close-ups with the standard lens. It seems OK till you get to things like detail on people, having said which blow-ups of the closest focus shots seem quite good so we'll see.

It was you guys that made me look at RTP buildings as having greater possibilities. I'm re-painting some Hornby terraces to suit my grotty taste, so I might well take you up on your kind offer.

I'm a bit nervous of personal threads due to the time factor I'm always whinging about. I always feel sorry when Topics start promisingly then die for long periods - I don't want that to happen, so I'm trying to build up a back-log of stuff.

I was nervous about showing the layout in its current state so I really appreciate your support.

You'll have seen what I meant about rakes. The ten-coach Mk1 rake, and the eight coach mix of Gresleys and Thompsons are fairly permanent, only restaurant and buffets altered, plus extra full-brakes for parcels. The up mineral train of empties will get longer - I can't recall how many there are just now - and a down mineral of full loads needs to be built. Changing locos is the fun thing I never tire of. It's essentially a "Watch the Trains go By" layout, with shunting in the goods yard and coaling, etc in the shed. It's a plan I'd contrived over years regarding what would satisfy me and it's pretty much OK in that regard. It's just knowing exactly what you want...

Otherwise, it's nose to the grindstone. Forgive me if I post/comment less than usual. I really enjoy my browsing but I must develop some self-discipline regarding actual results and not just words!

Tony

• Like 2

I think people sometimes overlook RTR buildings but....

Hand made track......   is it really? you buy the rails, you buy the sleepers and the chairs and then build it.  nothing wrong with that i say.

So IF you can find a RTR model that fits your need or could with a bit of alteration, why not use it and then detail it as you wish. Why is that any different than detailing a loco?

Of course, somethings you cannot buy and have to build from scratch but to be honest given the time situation almost everyone has, I / we intend to save our scratch build for those objects of desire where a suitable donor  does not exist that way we save some valuable time with RTR and detail it to what we want.

Horses for courses,... my way is the right way....., but only for me, :sungum: but for what it is worth that is my mindset.

Edited by Kal

• RMweb Premium

Firstly my wagons get sprayed in the body colour as fresh from the paint shop. All the black parts mainly under frame, are brushed with Floquil weathered black. Some stock has a wash of grime (pewter grey,burnt umber and black) acrylic. The weathering is done with powders light colours from below and dark from above, Rust is a pallet of rust weathering powders and thinners applied with a small brush.

The LNER 8plk was brushed with humbrol 84 & 72. Lms fish van sprayed with LNER bauxite and weathered down beyond recognition.

post-8964-0-41800900-1391624125.jpgpost-8964-0-18146500-1391624147.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for posting Tony's layout Youtube video. I've not been able to open it before.

That's a dream Tony mate. Great watching the expresses passing the slow goods. I see where you're going with the concept.