Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Infront you see the first bit of the loft

here is the second from that beam to this beam (bottom of picture) 

5'6:x10'9" ( approx1650mmx3270mm)

med_gallery_17883_3178_498098.jpgrmweb1020oldloft2

As you can see this area is pretty much well boarded.

• Like 1

This is the next gap between beams,and you can see the area beyond the beam to the main width end of roof.

med_gallery_17883_3178_40338.jpgrmweb1024oldloft6

Here you can see the main wood about waist height which is basically the limitations of the layout

18ft81/2inx10foot9inch

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

This is the next gap between beams,and you can see the area beyond the beam to the main width end of roof.

med_gallery_17883_3178_40338.jpgrmweb1024oldloft6

Here you can see the main wood about waist height which is basically the limitations of the layout

Lots of storage siding space!

Cheers,

Mick

Beyond the last beam 5'6"x10'9"  (1650mmx3270mm) ignoring the bit off to the left as not tall enough to stand up....but more great storage

the left

med_gallery_17883_3178_415023.jpgmweb1021oldloft3

the middle of the end space

med_gallery_17883_3178_310007.jpgrmweb1022oldloft4

The right

med_gallery_17883_3178_458135.jpgrmweb1023oldloft5

It is a big job

Building new sub floor, 50mm PIR in between joists , I need 50 mm gap to prevent condensation , because the old loft has bitumen under felt.

Ripping out old electrical cables, that a previous owner left after a rewire, removal of old cold water tank, all this before the floor boards go down.

But it will Be worth it, and I do prefer when I can to do jobs myself.

Edited by Kal
  • Like 2

Beyond the last beam 5'6"x10'9"  (1650mmx3270mm) ignoring the bit off to the left as not tall enough to stand up....but more great storage

the left

med_gallery_17883_3178_415023.jpgmweb1021oldloft3

the middle of the end space

med_gallery_17883_3178_310007.jpgrmweb1022oldloft4

The right

med_gallery_17883_3178_458135.jpgrmweb1023oldloft5

And in all that confusion your actually building a cracking layout, well done both.

Andy, :sungum:  (jealous of the space :O , but NOT the climbing up and down, hahaha) :no:

The climbing up and down is ok, I built some open plan stairs with standard tread so that is no different than going upstairs in any normal house. The pain is ducking under the purling and braces in the old loft as it was not built with access in mind.

That said it is a space that is quite open , not used for anything else and so I cannot look a gift horse in the mouth.

It will provide a straight run end to end of about 82 feet, so a bit of ducking now and again is a small price to pay I suppose.

Benefit of a bungalow :)

Edited by Kal
  • Like 3

Well it's a job we work around, at the moment the loft space is not too hot or too cold to work in, and we do it in bite size pieces.Plus we took out the insurance for accidental damage....in case we go through the ceiling!!!! Plus it will reduce our heating bills, so all in all a win win situation.

• Like 2

A view from below the far beam....

med_gallery_17883_3178_274971.jpgrmweb1025oldloft7

and a view from above the beam

med_gallery_17883_3178_555843.jpgrmweb1026oldloft8

the silver finish on the insulation has provided more reflective light, but as we cover it up with plaster board later that will be lost again....but you got a lot more glare so maybe a good thing

• Like 3

A view towards the existing Arboretum Valley in the New Loft

Ahed is the area for Sheffield Park and the turntable...Goathland etc is in the distance

med_gallery_17883_3178_439200.jpgrmweb1032oldloft9

A view along the old loft, where we are at present sorting out a space for the extended layout

med_gallery_17883_3178_192924.jpgrmweb1033oldloft10

As there are a couple of beams that cannot be reomoved and it involves ducking and diving (there is an old loft access throughout there as well, which at present is boarded over.)

We are considering the layout from one side to the other with pop up areas. It'll be like playing the funfair game where you bash the squirrels as they pop up out of the holes....... :sungum:

Kal likes the area in the middle you can walk around.....I don't think that will leave us much. He also favours the all around the edge on two levels, and something up the middle....

As we have 10'9" and if we have a walk up we need at least 2'6" (750mm) in order to try and squeeze past each other.

10'9" minus 2'6" = 8'3" div by 2 = 4'1and1/2" (the new loft has 11'4"to11'6")

and we'll need the width if Kal plans anything like a decent Peterborough.Luckily there is some space off to the side, giving a T junction in the largest opening, it is not lit at present hence no decent photo. You can't stand up in it, and it is not boarded yet, but if push comes to shove we could use it for the layout.

• Like 4

These were originally pictures I rejected in favour of others. However, I did a little tidying up of the joins, and back scene (a quick computer tidy...)

The roadways here since have been physically improved, and I have digitally improved them now to match

We seem to have a lightening storm off to the left. Lets hope farmer Giles isn't in the line fire!!!

med_gallery_17883_3001_396699.jpgrmweb1027newfarm1

There seems to be a lull in the bad weather and the rest of the family are all out.The tractor is fired up for a quick rescue of a crop, and the farmers daughter and dogs are out for a play.

med_gallery_17883_3001_168707.jpgrmweb1028newfarm2

Elsewhere the village is pretty empty.Even the foxes have gone to earth.

med_gallery_17883_3001_390108.jpgrmweb1029newfarm3

No I stand corrected, another tractor is also out to go get some of the crops in just in case the storm caused some damage.

med_gallery_17883_3001_403479.jpgrmweb1030newfarm4

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

WOW that is a huge amount of space. How big is your house???? Kal you are Lord Ashfordly aren't you? Hence the HeartBeat tribute  :jester:  :jester:

And then there's the loft in the west wing ;)

It's looking great Kal and Jaz, and I love the clouds you've painted - great to see there's colour in them.

thebritfarmer

It was a three bedroom bungalow, which already had a large lounge and an extended kitchen added in the 1970s, and we have since added a two bedroom Granny annexe, So now we have a 5 bedroom house with 3 reception rooms, it sort of sprawls.Hence the large loft. When the annexe was added we also added a two car garage. So it is a good size but definitely not P.O.S.H. Both ends of the bungalow have rooms running off a corridor. So it is long but in many places only one room and the corridor wide.Makes for a great loft space though  :sungum:

• Like 1

JCL

Oh LOL 'The west wing loft' actually faces south and is not tall nor that big

I tried using a flash light in it to get a picture but it is too small

it goes over one room which was a dining room then a bed room and is now the model room.(it would count as one of the 5 bedrooms) The room is only 13x14ft max and really only 11x11 with a chimney and two alcoves and a half bay, and part of that is under the main loft....so it is not that big lol. It would be used as a last resort, and muggins (me) would probably have to crawl into it if a train derailed....god forbid. But you could put some not really working track down and make a bit of a diorama ....keeping it cobweb free would be fun......

med_gallery_17883_3178_464486.jpgrmweb1034oldlloft11

This is pulled out a little, then it looks even smaller

the horizontal wood is about waist height so you can see why we don't even light it, because you can't walk in it it is a bit of a hip roof, because the room underneath had a bay window.

med_gallery_17883_3178_177964.jpgrmweb1035oldloft12

It's alright for some   .....

The room is only 13x14ft max and really only 11x11 with a chimney and two alcoves and a half bay, and part of that is under the main loft....so it is not that big lol. It would be used as a last resort, and muggins (me) would probably have to crawl into it if a train derailed....god forbid. But you could put some not really working track down and make a bit of a diorama ....keeping it cobweb free would be fun......

.........................   all we had was a cardboard box  ..............................     :locomotive:

Stands back and waits   ........   

so this box.....

this cardboard box, it has 6 sides? so you can get in and close the door and it's cosy?

this cardboard box, sits on the side of the road....by some grass......so you have a garden?

this cardboard box, is close to the river....so you have running water?

this cardboard box, it's not sounding too bad to me.....

• Like 1

so this box,

this cardboard box, it's near street light, so you have free lighting?

this cardboard box, you can open both ends and get free air-conditioning?

this cardboard box, it's not too far from a burger bar, so you can check out the bins and get free food?

this cardboard box is sounding better and better....

not exactly shops....

med_gallery_17883_2796_349098.jpgrmweb1039portlynn3

med_gallery_17883_2796_315751.jpgrmweb1040portlynn4

• Like 3