Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

The RMlive show..is it the one at the Ricoh arena on the 13-14th sept? If so im planning on going up on the Saturday hopefully.

Terry

Cool, be great to see you

You going up on the Saturday as well then Dave?

Hi , yes he will be driving across with us :)

Sounds like being a fantastic meet, shame a few we speak to cannot make it but we will take loads of pics, well Jaz will :)

Edited by Kal
  • Like 1

RMLIVE

Westerhamstation is doing     Saturday

JCL appears to be doing        Saturday                   And Sunday

Kal and Lynn ar going            Saturday  

Acg-mr would like to go         ?

Freebs would like to go           ?

Julian is going                                Saturday   

runs as required is going               Saturday 

dt (david todd) changed his mind and is going   Saturday

Anotheran can do either day                      Saturday   or   Sunday

C&WR  is going                              Saturday

Marcus37  plans to try                      Saturday

Cor....if I had but known....we could have tried to negotiate a group ticket....... :jester:

Hybridangel77 is there on          Saturday too. :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  I'll pm and see if you want to meet up.......

Edited by Jaz

for those...that wonder why no modelling has been occurring,,,,, i will need to re do a miniature dog, and will be checking the original i made....before it got lost in the post......so we will see how similar i can make it.

I plan to take loads of pictures, and pop them up, especially of anything 'different'.......

hopefully useful for those that can't go, or didn't go, 

if RMlive is a fraction of what they hope I'm expecting a great day out.

UPDATE

AndyP

and 

Ashcombe aka George T wil be jointing us as well :sungum:

I'm sorry the PM is now not big enough to handle us all.....so other than 

NOT revealing the time or where we plan to meet......!!!!

Also do not add personnel details phones,emails etc here.!!!!!!

so.....we had best chat on the thread for general chat....LOL.

Afternoon all,

Jaz and Kal, just wanted to say that I hope you have a fantastic weekend and I'm certain that I'm going to feel like I was there, once I've seen Jaz's fantastic photographs!

ENJOY.

Kind regards,

Jock.

there maybe some video, especially of the interactivity, especially if people fluff it.......although i would ask before posting so as not to upset...so expect 0 videos....LOL

• Like 1

Fantastic video and tour around your layout ,,, amazing,,, that's a huge space you have,,, and by the sounds of it a story line to every corner. When I see stuff

like this I often fear my two lines passing a rural station is going to be lacking enough interest. But congratulations to the both of you on a huge amount of work.

Alan 

Fantastic video and tour around your layout ,,, amazing,,, that's a huge space you have,,, and by the sounds of it a story line to every corner. When I see stuff

like this I often fear my two lines passing a rural station is going to be lacking enough interest. But congratulations to the both of you on a huge amount of work.

Alan

Hi Alan

Thank you.

We are fortunate to have a large space, but even the largest space could be filled with rubbish, some might say it is.

But to the contrary, i have seen fabulous works of arts created in a couple of feet of space.

For me a layout is as much about the person making it, it adds something about them and their vision. I do not think the size or scale or construction matters, as long as the person has a passion and motivation to make it theirs.

Some of our friends on here leave me in awe, simply with their constructions of crates, deck chairs, landrovers, back scenes, station canopies, resprays..... The list is endless.

To me, nothing anyone takes an effort over, will ever be of a lesser value to me, than any other piece of work.

I look forward to seeing your layout ,.... people make life interesting, ...and what they create should be interesting to all, but those who are too self absorbed.

Edited by Kal
  • Like 1

Well....Kal said it all.....and I agree. Good modelling, and innovative ideas can pop up all over the place. And do. Inspiration flows through peoples work. Even when  person uses two ides they got from some where else and meld them together, so that they don't think they have come up with a good/original idea, they have introduced a fusion. Plenty of people 'copy' other work but make it 'work' for themselves. And even the act of copying an initial good idea and spreading it to others is very useful. C&WR often takes ideas from military modelling and tries it out here, with excellent results, the idea may not have been his, but he has bought it to us and showed it, and then modestly says not my idea. But often I have not seen ideas before, and as such to not just be told about them but see someone showing how they trailed the idea can lead to some fantastic ideas. There is an absolute wealth of knowledge floating around here.

Go have a look at Doughnuts work,

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78216-minsterley-modern-image-ohle-layout/&do=findComment&comment=1212463

sublime, 

There are people who make kits well, weather well, model buildings from scratch, model OHLE from scratch, who take models and turn them into unavailable models, whose eye for paint and colour is masterful, oh the list goes on and on. Many of the people who post here, are people whose work I visit often because their skills at aspects or whole layouts are truly admirable.

• Like 1

Kals holiday is finished ;(

The mother in law has been returned home, and this allowed us an opportunity to go to Accrington and Mick / Newbryfords local show. Which means we un-expectantly have LOADS of pictures.

I spoke to Brian Davis, and he kindy gave me permission to post his work

med_gallery_17883_3195_130307.jpgrmweb2796show1

I am positive the likes of Sasquatch will find this of serious interest.

2 sizes of modelling pipe evergreen or similar

and one pot of paint

med_gallery_17883_3195_132366.jpgrmweb2797show2

old fashioned pot drainage pipes, all easily linked if you fancy a cameo of some pipe work being laid or repaired

med_gallery_17883_3195_41198.jpgrmweb2801show6

and stored in a wagon on straw....

med_gallery_17883_3195_606661.jpgrmweb2802show7

modelling A-Z.....

• Like 10

Nor was Brian a one trick pony, he had a whole host of ideas.

take some dowel

med_gallery_17883_3195_28656.jpgrmweb2799show4

and some Balsa laid at 90 degrees, he holds this over a large washer....and uses a nail clipper!!!!!! for the curve.......which he popped from out of his pocket!!!!!!!!

Like a little magician....... :O

med_gallery_17883_3195_464202.jpgrmweb2798show3

med_gallery_17883_3195_238715.jpgrmweb2800show5

the wire he says is off cat5, I thought it was the jewellery stuff ladies like so much to make home made jewellery. Some wood stain and a bit of a google for the names which he prints off and these little stands.....

and next to those lovely terracotta pipes

med_gallery_17883_3195_606661.jpgrmweb2802show7

so classy

med_gallery_17883_3195_159468.jpgrmweb2804show9

His pipes are made using copper ...but he explained he has acces to a quarter million machine which makes the rings and he individually hand drills the!!!!!!! I can't imitate that!!!!! Well with plasticard maybe.

The wool bales? Dyed cotton wool.

And he had a nice pack of Knightwing plastic bits which he had utilised for several of the other wagon loads.

Superb ideas. :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum: I was so entranced I forgot to get the numb of the knighting plastic set...but I'll edit and add it if I come across it. 

• Like 8

Then there was layouts.

One of our favourites. Blackmills by Newbryford. Which he has sold we were tempted ourselves. 

But there was 'new' ones that we have not previously seen.

First Bleach Green

med_gallery_17883_3195_103092.jpgrmweb2805show10

a lovely countryside crossing

med_gallery_17883_3195_123666.jpgrmweb2806show11

a lovely water feature

med_gallery_17883_3195_489514.jpgrmweb2807show12

another

med_gallery_17883_3195_571423.jpgrmweb2808show13

the same greenhouse as photographed a bove

med_gallery_17883_3195_383187.jpgrmweb2809show14

my personnel favourite picture of the show.....the water moved backwards into the layout but i could not get a good snap of it. But just here the light was magical.

med_gallery_17883_3195_623676.jpgrmweb2810show15

and a little bit of interest as the trains moved off to the fiddle yard

med_gallery_17883_3195_599441.jpgrmweb2811show16

i didn't get to speak to the owners, but was mightily impressed with their work

• Like 11

I didn't see the name tag for this one...I assume it is Alderford Station

med_gallery_17883_3195_7773.jpgrmweb2812show17

med_gallery_17883_3195_296542.jpgrmweb2813show18

med_gallery_17883_3195_755239.jpgrmweb2814show19

med_gallery_17883_3195_31724.jpgrmweb2815show20

med_gallery_17883_3195_194004.jpgrmweb2816show21

It had a truly lovely glass canopy...but unfortunately I seem to have forgotten to take a picture!!!! :O  :O  :O

• Like 9

And surprising Chris...this is NOT the one I mean......

Stephen Kirby West.

​If my memory serves me well I think I saw a FOR SALE notice on this one. :O

Kal said this one really caught his eye.

med_gallery_17883_3195_645.jpgrmweb2817show22

this spot was SO good I had to have 2 angles

med_gallery_17883_3195_20928.jpgrmweb2818show23

med_gallery_17883_3195_162597.jpgrmweb2819show24

the bull in the bottom right hand corner, has caught my eye before. But I have never managed to source it. At the show I managed to buy it TWICE. From two different sellers. More on them later.

med_gallery_17883_3195_647657.jpgrmweb2820show25

hes bit out of focus here, he is from china, but is a lovely little figure.

these buildings just ooze character.

med_gallery_17883_3195_457849.jpgrmweb2821show26

and up close the tiles the cattle are working on...really look the business.

some of the background perspectives are exceptionally good, here is a fine example, together with their low relief, there is a serious sense of distance

med_gallery_17883_3195_37394.jpgrmweb2822show27

and I like some of their detailing

med_gallery_17883_3195_412997.jpgrmweb2823show28

and just look at those cobbles

beautiful workmanship

med_gallery_17883_3195_237384.jpgrmweb2824show29

• Like 11

But this one is....

Eaton Gomery

I meant to go back and take more but each time there were people in the way, I suspect the little street scene will have you in raptures

med_gallery_17883_3195_313576.jpgrmweb2825show30

these Lancashire lads certainly understand atmosphere

med_gallery_17883_3195_392157.jpgrmweb2826show31

and the street scene......

med_gallery_17883_3195_230970.jpgrmweb2827show32

I especially liked the drapers stall over to the right

the colours are good....I just wish I could have got a couple of close ups.the green on the doors and windows and sooty exteriors.....all put you in mind....no synthetic colours here.

Notice the suits hanging on the shop front at the back.......

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

You are right, it looks brilliant!  The station of my narrow gauge is on the edge of the market square.  When/if I ever get to build it I will have as many shop fronts as possible plus the market.

I notice a child at the back; I assume this is the Langley set which did not have the child in it when I bought it.  They have changed the contents since then.