Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

AVENFORD EAST

​We were meant to got forth best layout of the show, and forgot, and there were several contended Newbryford;s Blackmills on one outstanding layout. I have a rather soft spot for this one.

med_gallery_17883_3195_780706.jpgrmweb2828show33

It has that particular stuff I like......water

the water in question was good...not outstanding....but look at all the other detailing he brings to the table....

med_gallery_17883_3195_355588.jpgrmweb2829show34

the crane, the buildings, the dock side interest

the boat...shame about my photography

med_gallery_17883_3195_220460.jpgrmweb2830show35

love the steps and brickwork

med_gallery_17883_3195_347588.jpgrmweb2831show36

the detailing, love the additional fencing on the line side gates

med_gallery_17883_3195_736432.jpgrmweb2832show37

those are probably wills cobbles...but they just look the business

TWO cranes the greedy devil...LOL

med_gallery_17883_3195_187613.jpgrmweb2833show38

some seagulls....for David Todd.....

med_gallery_17883_3195_258850.jpgrmweb2834show39

that been there, lived in look....full in the face

med_gallery_17883_3195_637680.jpgrmweb2835show40

and this wonderful building

med_gallery_17883_3195_108372.jpgrmweb2836show41

both upstairs...and downstairs......how cool is that....Sasquatch will probably be dribbling....as I suspect will Freebs, Westerhamstation and act-mr.

med_gallery_17883_3195_130679.jpgrmweb2837show42

Excellent weathering......we arrived late......so had no time to grill the owner for details unfortunately

edit= oh yes....the lighting in the room was quite good for an indoor no windows affair.....but the clever owner had two lamps strategically placed.....giving him some great shadows.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 11

Kal is making up brass etchings at the moment......and discussing we should change to O gauge. 'Cause the bits are so fiddly.

O gauge actually has some very tasty modelled items out there....vehicles are often so well detailed a picture of Corgi et al offering can easily be mistaken for the real thing. Nice big figures to paint ....ooooh yes. So I agreed with him....we should do a small bit of O, he ignored the 'small bit' and he said trading all his locos and rolling stock would cost...a O  gauge loco setting you back about £500. ..........I responded we only need a little bit for a cameo layout....you only need one  :tease: loco..........

......there was a pause.....a sharp in take of breathe.....and a shocked  :O .ONE!!!!!!!!! :banghead: ......then silence.........I wonder if I should check he is ok....rather than typing this....... :jester:

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

Jaz,

Great set of pics, you have a great knack of picking out salient features with a modellers eye and I almost feel like I've been at the show without the hassle. Thanks for sharing them with us - can't wait for next weekend now!

Agree with you on 'O' gauge but I haven't got the space and I'm struggling to raise the funds for a 'OO' start at the turn of the year!

Kind regards to you and Kal,

Jock.

Jaz,

Great set of pics, you have a great knack of picking out salient features with a modellers eye and I almost feel like I've been at the show without the hassle. Thanks for sharing them with us - can't wait for next weekend now!

Agree with you on 'O' gauge but I haven't got the space and I'm struggling to raise the funds for a 'OO' start at the turn of the year!

Kind regards to you and Kal,

Jock.

Kal keeps telling me about locos that for a while were going at a half reasonable price 70/80 then they suddenly are selling at 120. We all want good value for our purchases, but the second hand market is so buoyant it is making it hard for people to afford enough stock. He trys to keep to limited editions which he really wants, or checking out the stuff that is flooding the market and buying it whilst prices are still for new stock. We have bought plenty of good stock this way, and once the supply dries up the price follows. Unfortunately I think with the likes of Hornby annd Bachmann increasing their new prices.....this problem is likely to continue. The cost for some second hand stock nowadays literally takes your breath away.

We also really would like models made in this country....but that too can only come at a price. Although it would bring cash back. The problem is we buy cheap from abroad....whilst slowly destroys our own manufacturing, and then people might have cheap stuff to buy....they just don't have jobs to pay for them!!!!!!! :O

Update....I just realised these two belong to

med_gallery_17883_3195_313576.jpg

and looking at this picture....I did speak to one of the guys there......I asked him if he could move his arm as the shadow ruined the picture.....he very kindly did so...but started speaking to a young lad that was with him....before I could thank him.....

a nice bit of canal

med_gallery_17883_3195_536571.jpgrmweb28380show45

the dust on the water made it harder to photograph, but you do get dust on water...

med_gallery_17883_3195_282404.jpgrmweb28381show46

gorgeous colour work. Perfect for the era.

edit = I found a link

http://www.wiganfrm.org.uk

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 11

Hi Alan

Thank you.

We are fortunate to have a large space, but even the largest space could be filled with rubbish, some might say it is.

But to the contrary, i have seen fabulous works of arts created in a couple of feet of space.

For me a layout is as much about the person making it, it adds something about them and their vision. I do not think the size or scale or construction matters, as long as the person has a passion and motivation to make it theirs.

Some of our friends on here leave me in awe, simply with their constructions of crates, deck chairs, landrovers, back scenes, station canopies, resprays..... The list is endless.

To me, nothing anyone takes an effort over, will ever be of a lesser value to me, than any other piece of work.

I look forward to seeing your layout ,.... people make life interesting, ...and what they create should be interesting to all, but those who are too self absorbed.

I couldn't agree more,,, I have seen some inspirational tinny layouts, but im still jealous of having a nice big space where you can model in double OO as well, and it must be wonderful to have that

bit more freedom and room to work ,,, (im kneeling on the floor in the lounge)  and yes when I see some of the stuff on here tinny little details im just blown away,, but I still think your both doing a fantastic job

and have enjoyed catching up on your threads and videos etc. Many thanks ,,, Alan  

Well I have done some paintng on Kals brass etchings. It needs a second coat....especially as the mesh is very fine so the paint fills the holes very easily.....I try pushing the paint to be thinner....sometimes it lifts the paint of....and i try blowing on the mesh to help blow bubbles that burst so the holes reappear....I might get the airbrush if my lungs start failing!!!! I'll pop a second coat on tomorrow..it's enamel.....then photograph, and pop on the layout. The finer mesh might be more difficult to paint, although i could have thinned it so it went on thinner, dried quicker....then added more layers faster...prboably giving a more polished finish. But I expect the finer mesh to look better in the end results.

Any errors will be covered I hope with curtaining on the BRUTEs or rubbish in the bins, and any other ideas that pop up as I go. 

I don't think it will work for 00 gauge......and possibly not even for 0 gauge. BUT when i was a child my dad showed me an interesting trick with a packet of crisps....maybe the present day wrapping no longer does the ams trick......but if you put it near the open fire (which we had) the heat would shrink the wrapper to quite as small size.....AND the writing stayed legible!!!!!! I do plan to try and represent the odd shopping bag...plastic donate from obvious donors...e.g. orange = sainsburys. A rolled up newspaper...etc for the bins.I might try for a banana skin!!!!

So more pictures will filtering through, and some from the show are still yet to be uploaded. :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jaz. Great two sets of pictures there. Much appreciated too!

Yes I almost started drooling over the warehouse building but it was the NE fish van  in the picture of the boat that did it!! "Sado" Must get out more. Where's my hat n coat.  

RMLIVE

Westerhamstation is doing     Saturday

JCL appears to be doing        Saturday                   And Sunday

Kal and Lynn ar going            Saturday  

Acg-mr would like to go         ?

Freebs would like to go           ?

Julian is going                                Saturday   

runs as required is going               Saturday 

dt (david todd) changed his mind and is going   Saturday

Anotheran can do either day                      Saturday   or   Sunday

C&WR  is going                              Saturday

Marcus37  plans to try                      Saturday

Cor....if I had but known....we could have tried to negotiate a group ticket.......  :jester:

Hybridangel77 is there on          Saturday too.  :sungum:   :sungum:   :sungum:  I'll pm and see if you want to meet up.......

Class66 was meant to be working that weekend, but after speaking nicely to his work he has got Sunday off, and will now be attending. :sungum: 

I didn't see the name tag for this one...I assume it is Alderford Station

med_gallery_17883_3195_7773.jpgrmweb2812show17

med_gallery_17883_3195_296542.jpgrmweb2813show18

med_gallery_17883_3195_755239.jpgrmweb2814show19

med_gallery_17883_3195_31724.jpgrmweb2815show20

med_gallery_17883_3195_194004.jpgrmweb2816show21

It had a truly lovely glass canopy...but unfortunately I seem to have forgotten to take a picture!!!! :O  :O  :O

wrong found one!!!!!

med_gallery_17883_3195_648438.jpgrmweb2848show53

• Like 9

Some of Pete Harveys etchings. Kal was having a go today.

med_gallery_17883_3195_422797.jpgrmweb2855show60

med_gallery_17883_3195_36051.jpgrmweb2586show61

he was not impressed with some of his soldering considering th fineness of the etching to swopped to glue

med_gallery_17883_3195_476538.jpgrmweb2857show62

med_gallery_17883_3195_172388.jpgrmweb2858show63

A couple of the bins and BRUTEs were those that I started painting.

• Like 3

Thanks for all those wonderful pictures - some inspirational cameos there! I will browse through them again looking at the finer details when I have some more time tonight. 

You etchings are coming along really well - they are going to look superb.

Cheers John

Hybridangel77 is there on          Saturday too.  :sungum:   :sungum:   :sungum:  I'll pm and see if you want to meet up.......

Class66 was meant to be working that weekend, but after speaking nicely to his work he has got Sunday off, and will now be attending. :sungum: 

Yes i'm defo going on Saturday and will meet you all as planned!

Terry

• Like 3

Great photos !!! Lots of loving detailing on those layouts. Thanks for sharing them with us. 

The Bull that you like so much was including in a few different Matchhbox vehicles over the years. I remember having a lorry with a couple of them in it when I was younger. 

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Vn0ZfzEEfxU/UpdUFxOnkEI/AAAAAAAAHLo/vehstRglzec/s1600/1+Matchbox+Horses+Ponies+Pony+and+Cow+Cattle+Bull.jpg

Great photos !!! Lots of loving detailing on those layouts. Thanks for sharing them with us. 

The Bull that you like so much was including in a few different Matchhbox vehicles over the years. I remember having a lorry with a couple of them in it when I was younger. 

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Vn0ZfzEEfxU/UpdUFxOnkEI/AAAAAAAAHLo/vehstRglzec/s1600/1+Matchbox+Horses+Ponies+Pony+and+Cow+Cattle+Bull.jpg

You have a better eye than me.....

Your bull is the one I spoke of.....but seeing the ones in your link...i have just realised the ones i have just acquired have a different tail.....

hang on 'ill upload them.....

Edited by Jaz

Top right is the bull....not easily seen in this group.

Country Scenes.

med_gallery_17883_3112_280202.jpgrmweb2862show67

Same Show different supplier....looks like same animal

med_gallery_17883_3112_395828.jpgrmweb2863show68

Now technically the 2.00 bull seems more expensive. But the lady who paints them puts more time in for a more polished finish and that is what you pay for.

Country scenes sells the bunch of cows for 1.99 but he attempts to do a faster paint in a more limited time. In fact we had a long chat, he was a really nice guy. During our discussion he said he used to do trees, but people could not accept the time he had to put in in order to produce the product and would not pay the price. Therefore he now does work of a lower standard but at a more cash friendly price. 

The thing is you do pay for what you get. 

I bought the single bull first being pleased to source the well shaped figure. Then when I saw Country Scenes and there was more figures, it was a no brainer...I bought those too. His cows are quite nicely painted, and he was kind enough to say that she does put in more work. I can paint them myself. But if you want nice cows for a good price he is worthwhile, if you want a paint job with more effort and are willing to pay. Unitmodels are worth investigating.

• Like 2

As I understand it Unit models is a husband and wife team. The husband makes resin models. Some in O, some HO, some N. They are quite happy to explain which ones can be used ok on OO and which ones are specifically for HO. chatty and nice. I recognised some of her figures, and frankly she was quite willing to point out where she had sourced them from. He figures are more expensive than the original suppliers. But she does do really nice paint jobs. Certainly value for money in my opinion.

Country Scenes having had problems with selling items with the work he has put in, goes for a more affordable market. Attempting to give value for money.  He apologised for the mini nature product being more expensive than the War World Scenics (he sells both) but when you also compare War World Scenics 4mm for 20g at £2.50 against Mini Natur 4.5mm winter 50g at £5.75. War World would actually cost £6.75 for 50g actually cheaper. TH products are not particularly similar. Apparantly I should expect the mini natur to be finer , and therefore possibly trickier. I tried 3 of their colours, and bought more of the War World..a product i have had before...because i was taken with the autumn mix.

I used to like the fresh green spring colours but tend now more to autumn and winter colours...as i believe they photograph better...at least at the time of day i prefer to photograph.

I also noticed people (2) walk up to unit models photograph her hand painting but buy no product.

I did photograph her product....but I bought the plain resin to paint...and have a picture of hers for reference.

She was a ware of the photographs, and made no comments nor any faces, which I think was good ....as it must irritate her.

Anyway I was taken with both sellers, and bought items from both. I may touch up the pack of cows and/or horses....but I think most people would believe them to b very nicely painted......especially at Country Scenes prices. Having painted some of the figures I saw on unit models I think she charges a more than fair price for her efforts.

Having plugged both.I should pint out I also board a bill board from Country scenes....well I did buy one before, and now make my own with bought posters, so why would I buy one? Because he adds lights. And his sense of humour appealed.....

• Like 1

some seagulls....for David Todd..... Post # 6826

med_gallery_17883_3195_258850.jpg

Al, bag some up,over the next couple of day's,............you can have a go at them.................. :O

TAXI .!!!.......(dermist)       Pronto, Tonto...... :O ..