Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Morning Jaz/Kal,

Not been on here of late so apologies for that.

All I can say is GULP!!! I can't believe how much demolition has been going on!  :scratchhead:You guys must have big kahoona's! ;)

Including Sheffield Park in your new plans is a really nice idea though...always a favourite. :)

Photos all look excellent and the progress of the building site is looking decent too....any nervous moments yet??

:D

I think that policewoman has her hands to her head in horror at how skewed the wing on that yellow Porsche is... probably worried the boot is not closed properly.  :O

med_gallery_17883_2796_641493.jpg

I'f I were the owner I'd be sending that back to my [Matchbox] dealer!

Ian

I am ALWAYS nervous when Kal is using power tools  :scared:  :butcher:

He's been working this out for ages, I want to finish the new loft - scenery et al, and he has this argument (which unfortunately holds water) that we need to go into the old loft and get a lot of the initial track work in to complete the loop (at least part way with a design that can then be lifted and put to the furthest point, so that he can get his folded 8 loop in, and test that it all works. (i.e. run full length trains with passenger coaches or wagons) Now I know your probably thinking lucky he rescued so much Peco 100, but alas he wants to keep that as the lower fiddle yard. (this time the space between them will be more like a foot in depth! So we can squeeze our heads as well as our arms in to look at tracks if there are any 'faults') )He will need to buy the higher scenic boards and new track. He had originally discussed doing the track from scratch......but I suspect this desire to power on will mean we will use Peco 75 again. So we need 8x4 boards 3"x3" legs 2"x2" lengths for the boards and a lot of track. And his idea conveniently takes in the tidy part of the old loft.

I would ask his opinion but he is upstairs in the loft.......................

Things have just gone from sailing to sinking Kal needs Goathland river OUT!!!!!!! :scared:  :scared:  :scared: THe end of the fiddleyard goes straight under it..........  :banghead:

I have just knifed  :butcher: through Goathland end to end twice the scenery is a mess........ :cry:

I knew there would be a positive attitude from that corner over there................... :declare:

.........................    when the going gets tough  .....    the tough get going   ...........

all the best with the changes  ...  

J

Hi Terry,

It's 1:87 JCB....the box is retained ......but I have no idea where.......

but

check www.yourmerchandise.com/jcbshop £20.49, 1:87, JCB that is JCB's online store. Hope this helps. Tractors and long reach available too.

or google JCB promotional merchandise for some reason you cant just put in the main web address.

Edited by Jaz

Silky_Jack..........any nervous moments yet??

! was doing ok the tracks were going as planned

med_gallery_17883_2793_1194308.jpg0285

2 up 2 down just as planned

med_gallery_17883_2793_1007296.jpg0286

Then Kal pointed out the fiddle yard creeps some way under Goathland  :scared:

med_gallery_17883_2793_886565.jpg0287

He insisted the river had to go...you can remodel....you've improved so much......quick cuddle..............

Can you SEE the white lines!!!!!

med_gallery_17883_2793_781673.jpg0288

A SMALL inspection hatch

med_gallery_17883_2793_376097.jpg0289

NOOOOOOOO

med_gallery_17883_2793_1529676.jpg0290

An earthquake  :butcher:  the butcher

med_gallery_17883_2793_352124.jpg0291

:tomato:

med_gallery_17883_2793_92582.jpg0292

med_gallery_17883_2793_612734.jpg0293

Then the bribe.......nice new Goathland station in the post........

And some light relief.....it's ok....phew......Herbie can still make it to the mainland......................

med_gallery_17883_2793_1637276.jpg

Are you sure I think he's turning yellow  :scared:

Those building / the bribe had better arrive soon that's all i can say :threaten:  or else  :triniti: , and a LOT of scenic greenery. 

Am using a google print with scale to check the layout, have allowed a bit more to be sawn off  not too much to get the shape more pro typical before I go off to a quiet corner to sulk...oi theres no emoticon for sulking!!!!!!!  :cry:

Jukebox

It even amazes me how many pictures I have....... :sungum: And as mentioned the photos of real trees way out number our railway photos...15K......

camping coaches

med_gallery_17883_2793_1579887.jpg1651

camping coaches

med_gallery_17883_2793_917030.jpg1625

Camping coaches

med_gallery_17883_2793_205497.jpg1622

Water Feature...

med_gallery_17883_2793_1645940.jpg1487

This one is a little off focus....waste not want not

med_gallery_17883_2793_464863.jpg1173

med_gallery_17883_2793_933392.jpg0986

med_gallery_17883_2793_989521.jpg0969

med_gallery_17883_2793_771462.jpg0968

Herbie chasing the Young ones...........

med_gallery_17883_2793_1060483.jpg0967

Edited by Jaz

• RMweb Gold

Silky_Jack..........any nervous moments yet??

! was doing ok the tracks were going as planned

2 up 2 down just as planned

Then Kal pointed out the fiddle yard creeps some way under Goathland  :scared:

He insisted the river had to go...you can remodel....you've improved so much......quick cuddle..............

Can you SEE the white lines!!!!!

A SMALL inspection hatch

NOOOOOOOO

An earthquake  :butcher:  the butcher

med_gallery_17883_2793_352124.jpg0291

:tomato:

med_gallery_17883_2793_92582.jpg0292

Oh. My. God. What did you do!!!!!! :O :o

Look, the next time Kal drops a vac pipe off a loco, DON'T let him near the power tools, OK!

Sheeesh!

:D

But don't worry....I have a plan.......

I have plastercast (lots of it), lots of brown wood stain, lots of greenery, as soon as he sorts the tracks underneath, I will be back in there, plus the research Silky_Jack gave us means it will be a new improved layout, oh and some large sheets of foam board Cellotex or Kingspan will provide a new lift out area.(in case he has to go back in) But it will be after Kal's holiday before it all gets done.

Items that cannot be addressed :

• The platform to platform crossing distance should be approx 5metres but we have got 8metres by 1:76 scale,
  • Peco track is not to scale plus we need enough room for scenic items to be fitted between the tracks themselves and the platforms. And a little leeway for trains by passing.

But otherwise, Zero point is the end of the platform near the Signal Box. Everything is measured out from that point.

Items that will be addressed 

to include more prototypical elements are:

• Platforms will be coloured correctly rather than bright red brick we will have stone platforms.
  • The height of the buildings will be addressed so the cobbled area can be put in place.
  • Lights for buildings have been promised as an additional soother (they will be segmented eventual so only individual rooms light)
  • A better stand for the footbridge so trains can run through, rather than the scruffy greyed cork base to date
  • The DCC Concept lamps will be finally taken out of the boxes and placed on the layout.
  • The platforms will be changed to the correct lengths
  • shaped river - cuts for this have occurred, and scenic additions will fill in a gapping hole
  • river and weir and walls more in keeping
  • more pro typical looking bridges, 1. by road leaving the station  2. by road crossing the river 3. by road in the distance crossing the railway
  • a lot more (home made trees) to match up with google maps, hopefully resulting in more realistic photographs.
  • the camping coach area will be lifted to platform height (Silky_Jack can you confirm this assumption whilst on holiday?)
  • Plus steps etc will be introduced to this area.
  • THe correct black fencing will be addressed. And placement of such
  • The cattle holder will be correctly placed at the end of the car park with appropriate steps.
  • A more prototypical wall will also be on the list though this will probably be one of the last jobs, ensuring everything else is properly in place.
  • Signage
  • And finally signalling. 
  • A time period is not fixed as it is Heritge, but we would like to flip from modern day (Keeping the option Harry Potter) to the 1960s for the Heartbeat flavour. The filming crew is still in the schedule.

Finally I am debating on the curve going through the station, the bridge end has a curve coming up to the waterpower, which is not echoed on our layout, if the sleeping coach area can be changed without too much fuss this curve might not be replicated. As it is very hard to discern from most real photographs. We'll see. 

There is a possibilty of AFTERWARDS ripping up the Heartbeart Tribute area to make 2 tracks instead of 3 leave that area, and possibly a better looking Goathland village area BUT it will lways hsve to be compromised due to size constraints.

With this in mind if anyone knows of any elements they have not been seen (or mentioned to date) on our layout that should be on there, please SHOUT NOW so they can be considered for inclusion.

e.g. on the google map at the back of the car park, there is a bin area. This includes two wheelie bins one blue one some other colour (green I think)

One of these buildings has already been, weathered, now the other has been done and the door as well as the windows

med_gallery_17883_2760_391779.jpg308

And while I was at it some Graffiti

med_gallery_17883_2760_1148626.jpg0306

This building wont stay here, but everything is doubled up because of ripping up 3 tables. Its final resting home will be a bit over grown.

med_gallery_17883_2760_1093900.jpg

• Like 3

As part of Arboretum Valley, we have included Zollywood, our tribute to Goathland. When we started our layout we populated it with resin buildings from Hornby. One of our first purchases turned out to be Goathland, and we subsequently laid out the track in a similar manner, before we realised it was not just a real station...but also regularly used for filming purposes. We have expanded on the Harry Potter and Heartbeat theme, turning the area into a 'film studio' area. With this is mind we attempted to buy as many of the buildings that fitted in with this idea, particularly the station buildings. To this end we have looked at and bought updates when we thought they were an improvement. The initial Hornby Goathland, then the Bachmann limited Edition. And now the new Hornby NER / Goathland buildings. 

BUT, some of the original buildings have never been remodelled. And some only address certain aspects. Below I add a seres of pictures to demonstrate the foibles. And eventually show which we will use going forward, and why. There are so many pictures I will add each pair as a separate post and would be pleased if people would vote for the one they prefer and even state why they prefer it.

The left is the new Hornby, the right is the old Hornby

reference post 3 of Silky_Jack's The Lofty Heights.

es4tuw.jpg

med_gallery_17883_2781_299101.jpg0310

med_gallery_17883_2781_538201.jpg0311

med_gallery_17883_2781_1464054.jpg0312

med_gallery_17883_2781_1320273.jpg0313

• Like 2