A New Start

C&WR

"after a nasty bobsleigh accident disloated my shoulder & it's never been properly stable again"

Ouch - that sounds painful, although the bobsleighing part sounds exciting - always looks like it would be quite an adrenaline rush!

I will see if I can post the video of one of my crashes, although not the one that did me in!  It was certainly quite an experience, as a driver I had to go from explosive effort getting the bob going to complete calm and composure to steer the thing.  On my first run my visor steamed up and I drove nearly all of the Lillehammer track completely blind, luckily at lower speeds and without too much driver intervention the bob will find its own way to the bottom...

More impressive modeling :senile:

Many thanks!  It does for my needs.

I am glad to say I got just about acceptable coats of paint on the cab part of the tender and the cab roof interior.  I hope to get some pics if I can finish this off at the weekend, although I have a work commitment Saturday and while the damaged knee means I can't take a full part in the Rugby Club working party at the weekend I have been told I can polish the silver as that doesn't require standing up!

OK Jaz, as you ask so nicely.  I think I overdid the black wash on the crew a bit much and they could probably have done with a matt varnish:

IMG_2995.JPG

Tender and cab done.  I'm afraid it's a bit rough, but when they're coupled up it should give the right impression:

IMG_2997.JPG

Finally with crew in.  There should be some OHLE warning plates inside the cab roof, but I only have the old (red & white) style rather than the new (yellow, black and white) type.  Wondering if it's worth buying any new ones or just using the old:

IMG_2998.JPG

Just wish I was going back to Wallington-Super-Mare to play trains so I could give her a run to see my parents!  Sadly I have work to do this morning then despite the knee injury am expected at the Rugby Club this afternoon to polish silver as I can't do anything more challenging.  With luck the All Blacks/England game has been taped so I can watch it while polishing!

• Like 3

Wondering if it's worth buying any new ones or just using the old:

Of course it is :)  - don't spoil the ship .......

I use ink-jet printable transfer film so that I can make any transfers I want.

Mike

OK Jaz, as you ask so nicely.  I think I overdid the black wash on the crew a bit much and they could probably have done with a matt varnish:

IMG_2995.JPG

Tender and cab done.  I'm afraid it's a bit rough, but when they're coupled up it should give the right impression:

IMG_2997.JPG

Finally with crew in.  There should be some OHLE warning plates inside the cab roof, but I only have the old (red & white) style rather than the new (yellow, black and white) type.  Wondering if it's worth buying any new ones or just using the old:

IMG_2998.JPG

Just wish I was going back to Wallington-Super-Mare to play trains so I could give her a run to see my parents!  Sadly I have work to do this morning then despite the knee injury am expected at the Rugby Club this afternoon to polish silver as I can't do anything more challenging.  With luck the All Blacks/England game has been taped so I can watch it while polishing!

sat on the table they look a little dark.

BUT one the layout that might not occur, and you could matt white thin wash with a hint of the blue to was h the bits on the costume you want to highlight. and you can only decide something does not work by trying it. I have occasionally been convinced something has gone wrong, led it a whilst whilst the angst calmed down, tried it on the layout and thought....actuallly it's ok. And to be honest if you look at people in real pictures, they have a LOT of black in the form of shadows. Did you use the dip them in the pop stuff from the Army ....can't remember the name. I was seriously contemplating forking out the £15/20 pounds because they do look effective.

Oh lol just seen the last picture....I wa right they look better in the cab, very believable, and good shadows for the position. Nice result.

• Like 1

I've been looking into that, Mike.  Can a sheet go through the printer repeatedly so the bit without decal on it can be saved and reused?

It works for me (on an HP 6980).  I lay the transfers out at the top of a sheet, using Print Preview in Photoshop Elements, and then guillotine off the rest of the sheet for future use.

Mike

As I was a bit stalled on railway stuff, but had a bit of free time on Saturday morning I built this:

IMG_3007.JPG

As any of the former Signallers her might recognise it is supposed to be a start on this:

Ptarmigan%2520Truck.jpg

• Like 4

More non-railway stuff, I'm afraid.  TSC has languages day at School on Thursday & has to go dressed as someone who comes from a country where the locals speak a tongue taught at School.  I can't think of anything Spanish, he would go as a Frenchman over my dead body so a Roman seems appropriate.

I therefore had a bash at making him a Lorica Segmentata:

IMG_3010.JPG

It needs another couple of girth hoops otherwise it will look like a sort of armoured boob tube, but I'm pleased so far...

• Like 3

Jealousy is a bad thing.  However I am feeling withdrawal symptoms from the railway (I was at the home of Wallington over the weekend but there wan't time to fold it out), and my military modelling is stalled for the lack of paint.

However I have also not had time to do anything for myself in the evening for some time as it has been the end of term & there have been all manner of commitments.  Then TLHC announced tonight that she was going out to give some emotional support to a friend, TSC had taken himself off to read (to be encouraged, although I had been ready to build LEGO with him), so I set to work on a bit more of my Tornado.

First the OHLE warning signs in the cab.  I suppose I should really scratchbuild the various boxes inside the roof too:

IMG_3017.JPG

Back of the tender.  I have seen reference pictures where the steps are actually right-angled triangles with the vertical side away from the hypotenuse against the tender and the OHLE flashes along the hypotenuse, so did what I could here.  Vacuum pipe is there purely for effect, it's been removed again as a spare should the one on the front get lost.  The faces of the lamp brackets are painted with my trusty gold pen:

IMG_3016.JPG

And then to the front.  Lamp brackets from the detailing pack coloured then fitted, vacuum pipe fitted, and the fronts of the cylinders painted up.  These will need more work.  OHLE flashes also on:

IMG_3014.JPG

A few things to note:

1. Not sure what the circular indentations towards the cab end are.  Washout plugs?  However I've made these black with a permanent marker.
  2. Fitting the brake rods is a task beyond me for right now!
  3. There seems to be some inconsistency between the model and various reference pictures about the placement of the washout plugs (?) in relation to the white bands round the boiler and firebox.  Most seem to show the OHLE symbol on the starboard firebox at the cab end between the penultimate plug and the band, but here there is not space.  I am, however, convinced I have seen one picture (not of a model) where it is placed where I have put mine!
  • Like 4

Thanks, Sweven, that's how they look on all the references I had.  However there isn't space between the two for the OHLE flash on the model.  Here's what Bachmann did with it:

Bachmann_a1_Tornado_right_s.jpg

Here's what I meant by the tender:

60163_Tornado_Tender_at_the_NRM_24_Jan_0

Anyway, I'm please enough!

• Like 2

I've been looking into that, Mike.  Can a sheet go through the printer repeatedly so the bit without decal on it can be saved and reused?

i would have thought if you cut a shape out...it might snag

but hopefully if you just keep the remainder as a flat clean rectangular sheet(s) you should get away with it....

if anyone knows for definite it would be really useful. Otheriwse filling the space with possible useful items might be the way to go....grafitti etc (I know I know Im graffiti mad) could be used to fill the sheet if you have nothing else in mind, and if the sheet would otherwise be wasted.

We have been going to have a look at this stuff....but so far have managed to source ready made kit.

I believe, Jaz, the sheet can go through repeatedly.  As long as the leading edge is straight then bits can be cut out as needed.  

As it happens in the end I thought hang the expense (it was all of about four pounds) and ordered the sheet.  I won't be adding them to my Mk1s as I am sure it is acceptable that a train pulled by Tornado would be without them, but they would be completely wrong with them when pulled behind the Western or Warship.

I will be investigating decal paper at some point.  A member on another forum has produced a set for the Thames Valley Air Ambulance which I have a hankering to build - my charity Rugby team has fundraised for it in the past and not just because it visited our Sevens tournament to collect customers!

Edited by C&WR

i would have thought if you cut a shape out...it might snag

My original post (#533) was about printed decal paper and, in that case, I arrange to print the decals near the top of the sheet and then guillotine off the rest of the sheet. 

If you've actually cut shapes out of a sheet then do not try to put the cut areas through the printer again - they will snag! From personal experience it can be quite a job to clear the paper path again. 

If you guillotine off all the cut-out areas and leave a straight edge, then the uncut part of the sheet will run through the printer OK.

Mike

Thanks, Mike, for the clarification. I thought it was like that.

Had a good morning/afternoon at the New Cross railway & beer show. Some really lovely layouts & very friendly operators & traders who put up with my rambling & took a couple of pounds from me for things to make.

The beer bit was in a small theatre bar. I was most amused by the interactions between the luvvies & the railway people.

One for the diary next year-could I have something built in time?

Morning C&WR,

New Cross is a fair old hike from the green fields West of London.

Some nice looking and interesting Layouts to look at, on their Website.

I get the attraction of good Beer and Trains, in one location [although thoughts of the CAMRA members I have met - don't lay the 2 easily together.....   ]     ..................................     but     .................................

...........................     Morris Dancers, [ Female - from London! ]    :danced:  :danced:  :danced:                    .............    sounds somewhat  ..  eerr  .. daunting   ................     :O​ 

I did not come home empty handed from New Cross, although I did avoid buying loads of Blue/Grey Mk3s for when I eventually have space to run a full-length HST.  What I did come home with was suggested by the parcels train thread - a Parkside Dundas SR CCT to go in with all the other trucks and coaches I have been gathering for that unglamourous but evocative rake.

Here's what was in the kit.  I was glad to see metal wheels and bearings, it wasn't until I looked at prototype pics that I realised they should indeed be solid wheels, not spoked or otherwise perforated:

IMG_3053.JPG

I am going for something a bit like this.  Interestingly that version seems to have had the footboards removed unlike this one.  I think I wouldn't go as weathering as far as this example, though!*

I made a start, putting the sides and ends onto the floor and gluing the bearings into the axle boxes.  I also put the ventilators onto the roof:

IMG_3054.JPG

So far, so good.  I decided to get the thing primed:

IMG_3056.JPG

However this is when I started to hit problems.  I had also primed and painted the bottom and solebars, forgetting that these all needed to be put together and also that there was assorted gubbins (a technical term, I believe) to be stuck on the bottom.  Next time I do this I'll stick on all the dangly bits first, prime & paint, then attach the upper section. 

Another issue is that unlike the Tamiya and Airfix stuff I'm building at the moment the instructions are at best rudimentary, the parts on the sprue not numbered, and there are very few locating pins.  Still, a bad workman blames his tools and many people before me have turned out stunning versions of this wagon so all errors here are from me being a heavy handed eejit:

IMG_3057.JPG

However having given it a second coat of primer and coat of black I got this.  It hides many glaring errors, and I hope with some good old weathering more sins will be concealed:

IMG_3058.JPG

Finally with a first coat of Railmatch Rail Blue.  I'm slightly regretting not getting out the airbrush, but I am aiming for a fairly tatty finish.  The roof has subsequently been done with Tamiya Dark Iron:

IMG_3059.JPG

I'd like to say this has been all fun, but the moments when I managed to stick my fingers, the tweezers and various inappropriate bits of kit together with CA would have revealed language from the lower decks of a whaler and suggested anything but fun.  However it seems to run true and while I think I have the floor a tiny bit higher up on one side than the other giving a slightly lopsided appearance it's been an interesting challenge.

I would say never agin.  However I am going to be near Pecorama in the summer...

*Links only so I don't run into copyright problems...

• Like 5

I see  ..............

I have the floor a tiny bit higher up on one side than the other giving a slightly lopsided appearance it's been an interesting challenge.

......  you have gone for the realistic 1:1 version, rather than a copy of the designer's plan  .........    :sungum:

looking good  ....

Thankfully while TLHC is still starting work at the normal time I have a change of hours int he holidays so can kiss her and TSC goodbye & squeeze in a bit of modelling/photography/uploading.  I gave the CCT another coat of rail blue and the roof another of dark iron.

Here it is sitting next to a Lima CCT as part of the consist it will be in.  It will be weathered to close to the Lima one:

IMG_3060.JPG

I'm still not 100% about the finish and really should have got the airbrush out.  However as I said I plan to weather this considerably.  I've also realised the buffer beam needs to be painted to match the solebars/underframe.  This may, having been done nicely in black, get a good coat of the dark iron instead!

• Like 2

The Long Haired Controller took herself out to minister to the sick (well, have a chat with a friend who'r having a rough time) tonight so I was left with getting TSC to bed.  The rogue is still reading (I can hear pages turning & when I tucked him in there were books poking out from under the trailing edge of the duvet) but I find it very hard to be cross with him for reading, especially in the holidays.

This gave me time for a bit more work on the wagon.  This close up shows a lot more touching in to be done, but other than that it's about ready for glazing, decals, buffers and weathering:

IMG_3062.JPG

Handrails are florists' wire, a tip I picked up from a military modelling site.  It's so easy to bend, but stays in place when bent.  The destination panels are in Tamiya Rubber Black, a fabulous colour with just a hint of grey and which dries very matt indeed so great for a used blackboard.

The kit has fought me all the way.  The holes for the coupling hooks seemed to be just too small and I broke a hook trying to fit it.  Of course I should have remembered to trim the shank a little shorter!

• Like 3