Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

Roy i think the only ones with real issues are the DRS ones as the loco itself seems to be fine as are the scotrail and chiltern liveries. ....

Wonky name plates are easy to sort out i would think ...

Edited by Anthony566

• RMweb Gold

Roy i think the only ones with real issues are the DRS ones as the loco itself seems to be fine as are the scotrail and chiltern liveries. ....

Wonky name plates are easy to sort out i would think ...

That is part of my thinking that the bigger issues seem to be with the DRS ones. With regards to the nameplates, there are reports that removing them takes the paint off with them which may be an issue.

Such as shame, whilst these are not really my era I love them, have done the Fife circle trains back in the summer and I have been looking forward to them. My only excuse is that my sons have a Scottish themed layout (ok - its mid 80s) so I can use them on that. Not sure they really fit on my 1980s southern region layout under planning.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Gold

Mine has arrived and all I can say is what a fantastic model. Yes the name plates are a little off and despite me fitting a Lokpilot 4, a listed decoder in the instructions, I can't get all the functions working correctly (that's probably me). Good job Dapol

Isn't that only a 4 function decoder? You need 6 functions to do everything.

Roy

That is part of my thinking that the bigger issues seem to be with the DRS ones. With regards to the nameplates, there are reports that removing them takes the paint off with them which may be an issue.

Such as shame, whilst these are not really my era but I love them and have done the Cathcart circle trains back in the summer and I have been looking forward to them. My only excuse is that my sons have a Scottish themed layout (ok - its mid 80s) so I can use them on that. Not sure they really fit on my 1980s southern region layout under planning.

Roy

Is there something we can use to soften the glue ?

I am thinking of getting a scot rail version until the DRS livery is sorted ...

Edited by Anthony566

Mine has arrived and all I can say is what a fantastic model. Yes the name plates are a little off and despite me fitting a Lokpilot 4, a listed decoder in the instructions, I can't get all the functions working correctly (that's probably me). Good job Dapol

It was me. A case of RTFI and get the switches in the right place and the function mapping correct!

Is there something we can use to soften the glue ?

I am thinking of getting a scot rail version until the DRS livery is sorted ...

There are various brands of Glue Debonder, but as ever research the product first and make sure it doesn't damage the finish.

https://www.zapglue.com/ca-debonder

Web page says that it will not craze most plastics, bottle says may craze some plastics. Think they have that covered so be very careful. I have read superglue doesn't hold up well in freezing temperatures. No way will I be putting my DRS 68 in the freezer.

There are various brands of Glue Debonder, but as ever research the product first and make sure it doesn't damage the finish.

https://www.zapglue.com/ca-debonder

Web page says that it will not craze most plastics, bottle says may craze some plastics. Think they have that covered so be very careful. I have read superglue doesn't hold up well in freezing temperatures. No way will I be putting my DRS 68 in the freezer.

Lol .... maybe not the whole loco but maybe the body ??

Such as shame, whilst these are not really my era I love them, have done the Cathcart circle trains back in the summer and I have been looking forward to them. My only excuse is that my sons have a Scottish themed layout (ok - its mid 80s) so I can use them on that. Not sure they really fit on my 1980s southern region layout under planning.

Roy

Cathcart Circle????  I don't think so..

Can anybody comment on the top end speed of the model yet please?

My Dapol 73 only obtains a max scale speed of around 60mph, generally ok for a 73 and what it does, however a 68 is a different beast so for a very large layout like mine I would hope to have the ability to run a loco at prototypical speed where appropriate. When I asked Dapol about the speed some time back they did say 100% that the 68 would have a higher geared speed that then 73.

Its odd how Dapol under scale their locos top speed (well in the case of my 73 anyhow) as most other manufacturers are normally the opposite. Guess you can never win!

Edited by sanspareil

Doh - Fife circle of course. Now 68s on the Cathcarts, that would be fun.

Roy

Going round and round on the cheap GG day ticket - sounds like a good idea - just got to persuade Scotrail...

Just been comparing photos of 68002 model and 68002 real thing.

Oh Dear.

Dapol keeping up their standards I see. (a la 73)

Who would have thought the loss of one member of staff could have such an impact?

Edited by D6975

Hi,

I can't find it now either but I read it on here earlier today. Either I imagined it or the post has been removed. Neil was mentioned.

Several posts were removed earlier today.

There has been an extended campaign of malicious posting from an individual who obviously has an axe to grind with Dapol and people within the business. It's been going on for over a year and the individual tries to cloak his origins following a predictable pattern of disposable email addresses and posting via proxy servers. His clumsy style and poor grammar are often evident along with false claims of knowing something, someone or claims that he has spoken to someone or that he knows that certain actions have been carried out.

Numerous identities have been neutralised and evidence recorded of the activities and numerous further attempts to register have been neutralised before any activity could take place. Obviously, the person has some kind of vendetta, often personal, and has moved through various projects that Dapol have released over the last year or more making spurious claims that there are numerous returns intending to damage the reputation of specific models. He has used Dapol's own site to do this and keeps trying to use RMweb and I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't been going on elsewhere.

Therefore please exercise caution and report any posts which you suspect to be of this nature, especially from a newly registered account. Do not engage with or reply to such cases; just report it please. Whatever the reason it's rather pathetic that someone uses such tactics wasting the time of people. Furthermore, the activities allow the injured party to intimate that genuine issues flagged up are part of a collective vendetta; I do not believe that to be the case at all but this malicious individual thus devalues any genuine cases of concern that established members highlight. If criticisms are to be made please make sure they are evidenced with pictures if necessary and kept factual rather than emotive.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Whatever the reason it's rather pathetic that someone uses such tactics wasting the time of people.

Too true. There's some right sad folk out there.

My biggest disapointment with the Class 68 model is, that I was hoping for 2 seperate parcels to be delivered today but came home to just the usual junk mail :(

My Hattons Scotrail one should be here tomorrow and the DRS shop one will hopefully be tomorrow too, Saw 4 examples today at the wonderful Trident Trains. They were in a display case but they certainly looked good.

• Like 1

Several posts were removed earlier today.

There has been an extended campaign of malicious posting from an individual who obviously has an axe to grind with Dapol and people within the business. It's been going on for over a year and the individual tries to cloak his origins following a predictable pattern of disposable email addresses and posting via proxy servers. His clumsy style and poor grammar are often evident along with false claims of knowing something, someone or claims that he has spoken to someone or that he knows that certain actions have been carried out.

Numerous identities have been neutralised and evidence recorded of the activities and numerous further attempts to register have been neutralised before any activity could take place. Obviously, the person has some kind of vendetta, often personal, and has moved through various projects that Dapol have released over the last year or more making spurious claims that there are numerous returns intending to damage the reputation of specific models. He has used Dapol's own site to do this and keeps trying to use RMweb and I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't been going on elsewhere.

Therefore please exercise caution and report any posts which you suspect to be of this nature, especially from a newly registered account. Do not engage with or reply to such cases; just report it please. Whatever the reason it's rather pathetic that someone uses such tactics wasting the time of people. Furthermore, the activities allow the injured party to intimate that genuine issues flagged up are part of a collective vendetta; I do not believe that to be the case at all but this malicious individual thus devalues any genuine cases of concern that established members highlight. If criticisms are to be made please make sure they are evidenced with pictures if necessary and kept factual rather than emotive.

Evening all, I will say i was a tad suspicious about that, im pretty sure i have seen similar on the digest regarding other Dapol models after what i think was an open day at Dapol? Either way that sort of behaviour isnt acceptable on any level and if any of mine has came across as such in recent days, I apologise for that as it wasnt intended that way. However, I will definately be on the look out for activity like such across any forum.

Ben

• Like 1

if any of mine has came across as such in recent days, I apologise for that as it wasnt intended that way.

I haven't got a problem with anything you've posted Ben; it's fairly easy to see the difference between 'fake news' and genuine concerns plus the number of posts is a reasonable indicator.

Can anybody comment on the top end speed of the model yet please?

I have a SpeedWAGON made by Black Cat Technology (evaluation tests shortly after purchase suggested that it is reasonably accurate) and the fastest speed it recorded for my class 68 on level track was 84 m.p.h. and that was light engine.  The addition of three Bachmann coaches brought it down to around 80 m.p.h. 

I haven't got a problem with anything you've posted Ben; it's fairly easy to see the difference between 'fake news' and genuine concerns plus the number of posts is a reasonable indicator.

Thanks for the clarifications Andy, but i genuinely wanted to apologise incase I have caused offence or upset anyone as a general point.

Ben

• Like 2

I have a SpeedWAGON made by Black Cat Technology (evaluation tests shortly after purchase suggested that it is reasonably accurate) and the fastest speed it recorded for my class 68 on level track was 84 m.p.h. and that was light engine.  The addition of three Bachmann coaches brought it down to around 80 m.p.h. 

Just the kind of info i was wanting, thanks very much for that! So its confirmed whilst it would seem to be a bit faster than the 73 still quite a bit down on where it should be. Giving Dapol benefit of the doubt (as opposed to design inaccuracy for want of a better phrase) I would assume they have gone this way to give better low speed running, probably the desire of the majority.

I think the spotrail and Chiltern liveries have done fine, its just the rather complex DRS livery which is causing issues, either way, I'm not too bugged as I will have two the same, so it wont look too off...

Ben

I think the Scotrail ones have issues as well assuming that is that the pictures on Hattons site are of the production model. The white spots on the cab sides seem to wrong. Where the blue meets the black the real thing has a series of half spots, on the model they are full. Also the model has a white spot or two touching the yellow nose that shouldn't be there. There's also something wrong with the relationship between the blue spots and the nameplate, the nameplate shouldn't cut into the spots as much as it does. So that leaves the Chiltern One!

Nigel

• RMweb Gold

I think the Scotrail ones have issues as well assuming that is that the pictures on Hattons site are of the production model. The white spots on the cab sides seem to wrong. Where the blue meets the black the real thing has a series of half spots, on the model they are full. Also the model has a white spot or two touching the yellow nose that shouldn't be there. There's also something wrong with the relationship between the blue spots and the nameplate, the nameplate shouldn't cut into the spots as much as it does. So that leaves the Chiltern One!

Nigel

To be honest those are very minor errors and I can live with them. The photos I looked at of the real 68007 didn't have half spots that I can see. Not my photo https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7607/17069641345_08c8248c93_b.jpg

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

If you look at the Wikipedia image of 68007 Valiant then you can see that the white spots are also above cab window. But compared with the picture of the other side or end it seems that the prototype has different variations of the applied dots. I think it varies also from engine to engine and this is very expensive to model. So I could live with that without any problem. But angled nameplates, glue marks or untidy applied colors I wouldn't tolerate at this price. And Dapol should see that is a real problem and no fiction.

Edited by Fluo66

Now that the 68 has broken cover, a couple of points:

The overall quality of the body moulding, the seperate details and (hopefully) decent running makes me just about able to forgive Dapol's usual little finishing niggles (wonky nameplates, bit of glue showing etc.)

However, now that we can see a VERY significant livery error on one side of the DRS versions which in effect renders one entire side of the loco's paint scheme as bogus, I am really suprised that this issue does not have purchasers more concerned. We are not talking here about a questionable paint shade or a few edges that can be touched up. Nothing can retrieve this major error, save a total repaint of this complex livery on one side. Not feasible for most. For those not aware of the extent of this error, observe and compare each side of the loco. I am inclined to reject my purchase over THIS issue, more than a few minor ones raised earlier.